Maiden

Started by FantasyWriter, September 23, 2009, 12:41:58 PM

Should Maiden be taken off the approved nouns list?

Yes
79 (74.5%)
No
27 (25.5%)

Total Members Voted: 106

A certain "approved" noun makes me cringe every time I see it...
It just seems so... un-Zalanthan.
Since all commoner women are unmarried, I find it just redundant and jarring.

QuoteNouns that are definitely okay to use in an sdesc       

* adolescent
    * amputee
    * blond/blonde
    * brunette
    * brute
    * crone
    * female
    * hag
    * half-breed
    * half-giant
    * humanoid
    * lad
    * lass
    * maiden
    * male
    * man
    * midget
    * mutant
    * redhead
    * teen
    * teenager
    * youth
    * woman

Maiden
    * Main Entry: 1maid·en
    * Pronunciation: \ˈmā-dən\
    * Function: noun
    * Etymology: Middle English, from Old English mægden, mǣden, diminutive of mægeth; akin to Old High German magad maiden, Old Irish mug serf
    * Date: before 12th century

1 : an unmarried girl or woman : maid
2 : a former Scottish beheading device resembling the guillotine
3 : a horse that has never won a race

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

It's also a colloquialism for a virgin (the 3rd definition - a horse that has never won a race - a woman who has never gotten past the "finish line" hehehehe nudge nudge wink wink)...which is something you can't tell by looking at someone externally.

To me, the inclusion of the word "maiden" in a sdesc feels too much like the player is trying to advertise that their character is "ripe for the plucking."
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I miss "girl" and "boy"
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Lizzie on September 23, 2009, 12:47:28 PM
It's also a colloquialism for a virgin (the 3rd definition - a horse that has never won a race - a woman who has never gotten past the "finish line" hehehehe nudge nudge wink wink)...which is something you can't tell by looking at someone externally.

To me, the inclusion of the word "maiden" in a sdesc feels too much like the player is trying to advertise that their character is "ripe for the plucking."

Ugg... I'd forgotten that.. makes it even worse.

Quote from: mansa on September 23, 2009, 12:47:44 PM
I miss "girl" and "boy"

As do I.  The spec apps (or overlooked regular apps) that have included them over the last year have been awesome. :D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I think "maiden" shouldn't be allowed and I think "breed" should be one that's okay to use.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I would have opted for an option of indifference.

That being said, I voted yes.  Though I can't remember the last time I saw maiden in an sdesc it is a bit jarring.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Yes.  Maiden is not a synonym for "lass" or "girl-teen."  I don't think we can even argue that there's a modern usage that way; when's the last time you heard someone called a maiden?

It's also a colloquialism for a virgin

More than a colloquialism, I think.  "A virgin" and "never married" are obviously--as far as society is to be concerned--isomorphisms, unless we're speaking of, for instance, prostitutes (who've never ever, as far as I know, been referred to as maidens).
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

September 23, 2009, 01:00:41 PM #7 Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 01:02:44 PM by FantasyWriter
People who are indifferent just shouldn't vote. :D

As a side not, that would be an awesome option on a presidential ballot.

[ ] Obama
[ ] McCain
[ ] They are both undeserving pricks.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Maiden
    * Main Entry: 1maid·en
    * Pronunciation: \ˈmā-dən\
    * Function: noun
    * Etymology: Middle English, from Old English mægden, mǣden, diminutive of mægeth; akin to Old High German magad maiden, Old Irish mug serf
    * Date: before 12th century

1 : an unmarried girl or woman : maid
2 : a former Scottish beheading device resembling the guillotine
3 : a horse that has never won a race

Bolded the part that makes it Zalanthan. Be very afraid when you see the tressy-tressed maiden next time!
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Grebber - One who grebs.

SIX! SIX SIX! THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST!

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Quote2 : a former Scottish beheading device resembling the guillotine

So does that make our maiden a "present American" beheading device resembling the guillotine?
Or, the present Scottish re-heading device resembling the guillotine?
Or, has our maiden retired completely from the heading/beheading business, and is now relaxing in a bog somewhere, eating finger sandwiches and drinking tea?

Or! Is it still a Scottish beheading device, but it no longer resembles the guillotine?

WHAT MEANS THIS????

The use of the word "former" in this definition greatly influences the definition's Zalanthanization.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

odd urge: app the iron-tressed maiden

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 23, 2009, 01:15:29 PM
odd urge: app the iron-tressed maiden

Name: Noel

> wish all I'd like a pair of tube socks, please. This is crucial to my character concept.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on September 23, 2009, 12:41:58 PM
A certain "approved" noun makes me cringe every time I see it...
It just seems so... un-Zalanthan.
Since all commoner women are unmarried, I find it just redundant and jarring.

Agree with original post.  I think that maiden slips through because it's cute.  I notice that cute tends to slip through the filters.

When I see it, I just assume they're using another word for woman, so it doesn't bother me.

Heh, I think that if "maiden" is okay then "dude" should be okay. The scruffy-haired, bearded dude.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: FuSoYa on September 23, 2009, 12:58:42 PM
the last time I saw maiden in an sdesc it is a bit jarring.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on September 23, 2009, 12:59:17 PM
Yes.  Maiden is not a synonym for "lass" or "girl-teen."  I don't think we can even argue that there's a modern usage that way; when's the last time you heard someone called a maiden?

It's also a colloquialism for a virgin

More than a colloquialism, I think.  "A virgin" and "never married" are obviously--as far as society is to be concerned--isomorphisms, unless we're speaking of, for instance, prostitutes (who've never ever, as far as I know, been referred to as maidens).

All this. Especially when the maiden is known to sleep around or has a kid. When you have a kid you're not a maiden any more, maid if anything... but neither term fits Zalanthas, in my opinion.

what dude is not okay???
some of my posts are serious stuff

Grebber - One who grebs.

Clearly we just need the assess command to do one more thing, then this can fit Zalanthas (codedly).

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 23, 2009, 01:41:34 PM
Clearly we just need the assess command to do one more thing, then this can fit Zalanthas (codedly).

That's a real dang-jurious path to, ah, go down.  There'd be no end to th' other coded commands nee-cessitated.

I don't mind maiden. It's just another word for young woman to me, like early-teens.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

The iron-tressed maiden is here, acting insouciant.

> assess -v maiden

You notice her hyphen is intact.

That's what I meant, brytta! Sheesh!

Quote from: Lizzie on September 23, 2009, 01:14:18 PM
Quote2 : a former Scottish beheading device resembling the guillotine

So does that make our maiden a "present American" beheading device resembling the guillotine?
Or, the present Scottish re-heading device resembling the guillotine?
Or, has our maiden retired completely from the heading/beheading business, and is now relaxing in a bog somewhere, eating finger sandwiches and drinking tea?

Or! Is it still a Scottish beheading device, but it no longer resembles the guillotine?

WHAT MEANS THIS????

The use of the word "former" in this definition greatly influences the definition's Zalanthanization.

Lizzie, you made my day.   ;D
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt