Maiden

Started by FantasyWriter, September 23, 2009, 12:41:58 PM

Should Maiden be taken off the approved nouns list?

Yes
79 (74.5%)
No
27 (25.5%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Quote from: Northlander on September 24, 2009, 07:08:15 AM
An "approved nouns list" makes me cringe whenever I see it. FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

If everyone had complete creative freedom, we would have no consistency, and without consistency, we would have CHAOS.

Okay, so I'm exaggerating, but I think some people take short descriptions a little too far already.  Simple is good.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on September 24, 2009, 07:12:36 AM
Seriously though, would you want the green eyed, pixie-haired dudette walking around?

Is she hot?
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

How about an approved adjective list? I know several that make me think of entirely un-Zalanthan things and this time I'm not even talking about sex.

September 24, 2009, 07:20:00 AM #53 Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 07:28:22 AM by RogueGunslinger
What about adjectives and nouns that describe traits, not physical features. The hip, chill frood.

I don't care one way or the other about "maiden". It's been used before several times, I've seen it, and my PCs just treated the maidens the same as everyone else.

There are some adjectives that describe traits and physical features. Graceful (describing grace, as well as physical features that tend to lend someone grace) and stout (describing boldness and bravery, as well as strength or bulkiness) are examples of this. Some are more objective than others - I imagine that there are so many that it would be hard to make a list of which are okay and which aren't.

No. But maiden doesn't bother me at all.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I want to be a harridan.  And a dame.  And a witch.  And a shrew.  And a temptress.

And why can't we have boy and girl back?  =/
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

........Get rid of it........
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

How about "the old, busty madame"?

The salty old silt sea-dog.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on September 24, 2009, 02:33:32 PM
The salty old silt sea-dog.

The lusty old wench.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I voted no. Just because.

A stinky, ancient maiden is here, skulking around.

Granted, you probably won't use it. But how about if you ass -v maiden?

A young, olive-skinned man ass -vs a young, maiden.

She is alot older than you.

??? ??? ???
I ruin immershunz.

Old maid?

I want to play a dowager.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

the recently-penetrated, ex-maiden
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

the man with the huge dong is here, pantsless

Quote from: jhunter on September 25, 2009, 05:48:05 PM
the recently-penetrated, ex-maiden

nice one
some of my posts are serious stuff

50 for (78.1%)
15 against

gotta love those numbers :D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on September 24, 2009, 12:56:22 AM
Quote from: KankWhisperer on September 23, 2009, 11:15:00 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on September 23, 2009, 10:45:04 PM
Actually it gives a character a color of someone a little more fresh-crotched, not fresh-faced. And - remember kids, there are no tampons or disposable sanitary napkins in Zalanthas. Or toilet paper. Or laundry detergent, or fabric softener. You're using raw bolts of woven cloth to wipe your ass, IF you can afford it. If you can't, you're lucky if you wipe your ass at all and don't just scrape sand on your butt to get rid of the soiling. If you're female and menstruating, you're -probably- either wadded up with cloth or leaves, OR bleeding down your pretty white new silk leggings.

Maiden is a word that just plain doesn't belong in Zalanthas, unless it's applying to a chaste, unwed, virginal noble female.

Bleeding is a lot of water lost. I wonder if  female zalanthans have adapted out of this.

Eww- I just thought of Dune, and their water recycling stillsuits.. They never mentioned that part..

Heh, Never did go into how Chani got over those problems, did it....or Alia for that matter.........
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

That would have been handled by the waste handlers that is specifically mentioned collected in thigh-pouches, I believe.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on September 23, 2009, 01:00:41 PM
People who are indifferent just shouldn't vote. :D

As a side not, that would be an awesome option on a presidential ballot.

[ ] Obama
[ ] McCain
[ ] They are both undeserving pricks.

As a quick derail, I would have been very happy if the ballot had been:

[] Obama/Biden
[] McCain/Palin
[] Obama
[] McCain

Returning to topic: Maiden is alright, I suppose, but I often use it to refer to virginity, which is a hard thing to note from a casual glance, and certainly wouldn't last long on Zalanthas.  Played a boy maiden once, but that didn't last long because his tribe mate was a whore.  ;)
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

I don't like maiden personally because there's very little which can be said, linguistically, to defend its use as part of an sdesc. But it's been around so long and exists both among PCs and NPCs (past and present) that we might as well assume in ArmageddonMUD it has its own definition: a girl, a young woman, etc.

At this point, just keep it, I say.

...but I still think boy and girl should be allowed back on the accepted list.

From what I understand, 'mutant' is no longer okay to use.  Additionally, why isn't 'human' on that list?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

The 'approved nouns' list always seemed pretty arbitrary to me.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit on December 09, 2009, 07:21:25 PM
The 'approved nouns' list always seemed pretty arbitrary to me.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.