I'd like to discourage...

Started by cyberpatrol_735, August 08, 2009, 03:14:40 AM

Heh, yeah...because words like "saddened" and "impoverished" are typically used by people who are disinterested observers.  If you're only mildly annoyed by something, you should probably just suck it up and deal with it, because posting about it on the GDB usually makes it sound much worse than it really is.

I don't feel like I'm being personally attacked, but I do feel like a lot of other players are being unfairly attacked.  Not everyone can be God's Gift to Roleplaying, but everyone is here to have fun.  Having Helicopter Moms of the GDB constantly hovering and grousing about minutiae is probably just as annoying to a lot of folks as people wearing silks in the Gaj apparently is to you.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I'm just trying to get to my 3000th post.

DONE.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on October 06, 2009, 01:53:31 PM
I don't feel like I'm being personally attacked, but I do feel like a lot of other players are being unfairly attacked.  Not everyone can be God's Gift to Roleplaying, but everyone is here to have fun.  Having Helicopter Moms of the GDB constantly hovering and grousing about minutiae is probably just as annoying to a lot of folks as people wearing silks in the Gaj apparently is to you.

You don't really need to set to name-calling, dude. I'm not a roleplay cop or a "helicopter mom" and that idea is just pretty laughable to me. I send kudos to those I think do a good job and I simply avoid those I don't think a good job, and we also have the GDB for discussion of things that we like and dislike in the game. For the most part, I haven't even participated on this thread because I'm not into the overall negativity.

And, minutiae are only minutiae when they are the only minutiae around. Lots and lots of different behaviors, like I said, add up to change the culture in a direction which takes it away from being the unique culture of Allanak. Currently, I see lots and lots of those behaviors. Mostly what I feel about it is that I want to check out of attempting to interact with people, because it's just too much of a hassle.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Edit: I'd like to discourage posting things in the wrong thread.

I'd like to discourage grungy bynners not beating up commonors wearing silk and acting better than everyone else in the Gaj.

Yeah, the brawl code is in the Gaj. When it comes to silkie non-nobles in the Gaj - if you can't join them, beat them.

Quote from: Cutthroat on October 06, 2009, 03:10:00 PM
Yeah, the brawl code is in the Gaj. When it comes to silkie non-nobles in the Gaj - if you can't join them, beat them.

Why would grungy character mess with the silks, when you have templars and nobles constantly strafing by the Gaj? I'd love to have my crappy character get gruff with the prissy types, but the reality is that noble/templar wrath is just around the corner. Those templars/nobles, eager to have some sort of interaction and conflict, will eagerly interfere. Instead of, you know, chastising their employee for hanging out in the fucking Gaj.

My "gritty" characters tend to avoid the Gaj, to be honest.

Quote from: Lizzie on October 06, 2009, 11:42:16 AM
... Southern commoners behaving as though they were northern nobles..all chin up haughty, silk-wearing, "pretty talking" -

"Oh hello there elf, I -do- love your new wrap, is it a Halston?"

that .. high society thing, which is customarily seen in Tuluk, done by northern nobles..

Since when has it been the norm for nothern nobles to act "all chin up haughty" or to do the "high society thing"?  There may be some who do but there are just as many who do not.  Appreciating and discussing art or fashion is quite different from professing to do so in a snobby, pretentious manner.  If anything, one is more likely to see pretentious and haughty behaviour from southern nobles.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

I see northern nobles as more like politicians in most of the western world. They're members of the elite, they're better than you in their own opinions and in the opinion of the power structure, but they still try to convey the idea that they understand you, are just like you and want to help you in any way they can. The patronage system is the main reason for this. So in my opinion a haughty, superior attitude would be more prevalent amongst the southern nobility.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Southern nobles are real nobles.

They can also be as subtle as a Tuluki noble, should the situation call for it.
we got stuck here for the winter
blinded by golden dollar signs
we built some simple structures
temporary not permanent
each year we dug much deeper
each year things got more serious
each year our hearts grew weaker
blinded by golden dollar signs

I'd like to discourage all this discouragement. I'd like to see some more encouragement, people. (Yeah right, Rhyden, shut up, we're a bunch of trolls on the GDB and that will never happen)

But still, I'd like to encourage people to quit taking the GDB so seriously. I come to the GDB, and all I see is griping, whining, or just false statements filtering through the channels about IC events.

Let it go. Just go with the flow. Play your character however you want, and don't worry about the criticism you see here. (Yeah, I'm a hypocrite, but aren't we all?)

I'm going to attempt to stop reading the main part of the GDB for a little while, and see if it increases my enjoyment of the game.

:-*

Tinychat webcamming has taught me that despite how we may or may not read into the posts people make ... when you can actually see their face or just talk to them in real-time it becomes readily apparent that no one is actually getting their feathers ruffled about ... well ... anything that happens on the GDB.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I'm a professional agitator, really. I have opinions about everything and feel quite happy expressing them, especially when there is <thing I love> but I believe it suffers from <problem>. Hell, I get paid to analyze issues and tell people I work with exactly where they are screwing up. (It's a good thing I don't get paid based on them actually listening.) I keep showing up and keep pointing out flaws because I am committed.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I'd like to discourage.. not so much people not taking the vNPC world into account, but ONLY taking the PC world and their actions into consideration.

Two people are at a shop. Person A wants expensive sword +5, and tells B not to buy it. Minutes later, A arrives from the store to find the item out of the shop. B insists they didn't buy it, and that someone else did.

It's not impossible. It's actually quite likely.

No IG events were referenced in this post.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

Quote from: Gimfalisette on October 06, 2009, 07:43:22 PM
I'm a professional agitator, really. I have opinions about everything and feel quite happy expressing them, especially when there is <thing I love> but I believe it suffers from <problem>. Hell, I get paid to analyze issues and tell people I work with exactly where they are screwing up. (It's a good thing I don't get paid based on them actually listening.) I keep showing up and keep pointing out flaws because I am committed.

Kind of the way I feel. Except that Momma Gimf is better at it.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Helicopter ... Momma Gimf.

I'd like to discourage people from labeling things wrong or broken simply because it isn't the exact way that particular person feels it should be.

I'd also like to discourage people from believing the misconception on the GBD that the more you type, the more accurate you are, or the better your argument is.  It's always baffled me.

I don't have anything discouraging to say.

Though I would like to be a helicopter mom!

;D
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: Decameron on October 06, 2009, 10:26:29 PM
I'd also like to discourage people from believing the misconception on the GBD that the more you type, the more accurate you are, or the better your argument is.  It's always baffled me.

I think that's more a matter of people just wanting the last word rather than thinking writing the same thing makes it more accurate.

Whoever gets the last post won the thread, obviously.

That's why staff always wins.

Quote from: Rhyden on October 06, 2009, 07:08:31 PM
I'd like to discourage all this discouragement. I'd like to see some more encouragement, people. (Yeah right, Rhyden, shut up, we're a bunch of trolls on the GDB and that will never happen)

But still, I'd like to encourage people to quit taking the GDB so seriously. I come to the GDB, and all I see is griping, whining, or just false statements filtering through the channels about IC events.

Let it go. Just go with the flow. Play your character however you want, and don't worry about the criticism you see here. (Yeah, I'm a hypocrite, but aren't we all?)

I'm going to attempt to stop reading the main part of the GDB for a little while, and see if it increases my enjoyment of the game.

This is the post I've been thinking of making.  You put it well Rhyden.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Quote from: FuSoYa on October 07, 2009, 08:26:42 AM
Quote from: Rhyden on October 06, 2009, 07:08:31 PM

This is the post I've been thinking of making.  You put it well Rhyden.

Brandon

I would like to discourage the use of non constructive criticism. Using words such as newbles, nooplars, and any of those other child-ish names. I don't play this game to be ridiculed by people. I would hope that each of us would be newbies to the role we are playing. If we play the same roles over and over, then this isn't a game, it is a job. Pigeon-holing me as a nooble or a nooplar just makes me not want to play this game. I have played countless leadership roles in everything from the Bynn to Kadius, to Kurac, to the SLK, to random gang in Undertuluk, random gang in the 'Rinth, The Militias, and noble houses. Now you are coming along and telling me I am some simpleton that doesn't know how to RP a templar/noble/merchant?
Disrespecting a player just because you think they are new to their role does nothing but to agitate people and make them enjoy the game less.

Criticism in the game is nothing unless it is constructive. If it isn't constructive. Keep that shit to yourself. I don't want to hear it. Don't make cute sayings, and don't throw up straw men to cover your ass after the fact.

Bottom Line
If you want to criticize, make it constructive, or shut the fuck up.

Thank you.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Delstro on October 07, 2009, 01:37:42 PM
I have played countless leadership roles in everything from the Bynn to Kadius, to Kurac, to the SLK, to random gang in Undertuluk, random gang in the 'Rinth, The Militias, and noble houses. Now you are coming along and telling me I am some simpleton that doesn't know how to RP a templar/noble/merchant?

Not a simpleton; just not fully settled into the role.  Most uses of those "cute" terms that I've heard recently have been intended to describe, not ridicule.  I would warrant that most players do things in the first week or two of playing a character that they might do differently later on.

Yeah, sometimes the rancor factor gets a little out of control on the GDB.  But you're not a noob to that, either. ;)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

And its "Newplar". I got tired of typing new templar. And its cute, deal with it.

I'd like to discourage this thread and move over to the encourage thread.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job