I'd like to discourage...

Started by cyberpatrol_735, August 08, 2009, 03:14:40 AM

Quote from: Thistle on September 24, 2009, 02:41:11 PM
Quote from: brytta.leofa on September 23, 2009, 09:16:19 AM
Quote from: jcljules on September 22, 2009, 10:04:22 PM
...staff members from approving PCs with glaring typos in their short descriptions just to be nice. If I had a glaring typo in my short description, I'd want to be corrected as to not look dumb.

Probably an oversight.  I've had an sdesc tweaked-and-approved in one step by staff before.

An oversight.  I spell check every app I approve and fix the typos.

I wish you had approved said person that I have to interact with.

Typo'd them yet?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I typo'd a 2 RL year old noble a few months ago.  8)
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Ourla on September 24, 2009, 11:49:55 AM
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 24, 2009, 11:46:27 AM
Quote from: LauraMars on September 24, 2009, 09:26:38 AM
eq lists that have items of wildly varying sdesc lengths stacked on top of each other, for example 'a red rose' on top of 'a dusty pair of chitin-ribbed leather sleeves'

Oh my God. I dress my PCs in such a way that this happens minimally, it annoys me so much.

And here I thought I was the only one.

What frustrates me to no end is when the uniform your PC has to wear ends up buggering up your whole eq list, i.e. Corporals in the Cap'n Muckballs clan having to wear both "a black sandcloth cloak" on their body and then "a blue shoulder patch with a droopy pair of embroidered muckballs" on their shoulder.

Whyyyyyy, imms. :(
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

...staff members from approving PCs with glaring typos in their short descriptions just to be nice. If I had a glaring typo in my short description, I'd want to be corrected as to not look dumb.

Probably an oversight.  I've had an sdesc tweaked-and-approved in one step by staff before.

I'd like to discourage staff members from having oversights.  >:(

;D
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: jcljules on September 24, 2009, 07:27:51 PM

I'd like to discourage staff members from having oversights.  >:(

;D

Wow
you forgot
death warrant /signed
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

I'd like to ... -encourage- being able to keep the OOCness and ICness apart. Yes, A might've horribly raped/mutilated/insert-other-horrible-things B, but please don't bear OOC grudge over something that happens IC, and blow it out of context all in the name of ICness (because it's not, and it's obvious).

Then post on the boards complaining about it.

Kthxbai.
I ruin immershunz.

September 25, 2009, 04:42:48 AM #107 Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 04:57:42 AM by Me
Silken haired commoners.

Really, you're a commoner stop emoting about your silken hair, unblemished milky-hued skin and jeweled encrusted eyes. Washing hair with water is a waste and besides, there are NO PANTIENE CONDITIONER ON ARM!

EDIT: I would also like to encourage the idea that plump is SEXAY. Lithe, slender, slim, lissome, willowy, delicate is not for an average female human commoner. Lithe = skinny, skinny = piss poor and probably got a unhealthy womb for weak kids.

Outdoor folks like delves? Scarred = hawtness. Scars = this elven hunter must be tough! He could slay a giant, two-headed dujat with one hand tied behind his back. That means.......he could give strong babies!

This is Zalanthas folks, not Zollywood.
Quote from: Majikal on August 20, 2009, 05:53:09 PM

Running after Carru, catching them, then eating them while they are still breathing is a Red Fang's version of 'fast food'.

Quote from: Me on September 25, 2009, 04:42:48 AM
Silken haired commoners.

Really, you're a commoner stop emoting about your silken hair, unblemished milky-hued skin and jeweled encrusted eyes. Washing hair with water is a waste and besides, there are NO PANTIENE CONDITIONER ON ARM!

EDIT: I would also like to encourage the idea that plump is SEXAY. Lithe, slender, slim, lissome, willowy, delicate is not for an average female human commoner. Lithe = skinny, skinny = piss poor and probably got a unhealthy womb for weak kids.

Outdoor folks like delves? Scarred = hawtness. Scars = this elven hunter must be tough! He could slay a giant, two-headed dujat with one hand tied behind his back. That means.......he could give strong babies!

This is Zalanthas folks, not Zollywood.

Love this post but then again I'm a HUGE fan of playing ugly characters.  I hate seeing perfect PCs but then again that's just me.  To each his own.

Plump is sexy IRL.  Just enough though.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

eggs = protein = silken hair    salt = facial scrub = soft skin

Just so everyone understands where a PC could get silken hair,  so yes, there would be beauty treatments available.   (if it is IC for them to do such things)
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Honestly. Hair wouldn't look so bad if it were washed once every few weeks- provided said pc's hair was used to it. And most bits of grime and grit could be brushed away.  If women were to keep their hair from hanging down, and styled that also helps.

You can't always help what color your eyes are. As my three year old niece said when asked what color her eyes are, "Grey, but I didn't color them."

And as for skin... lots of things tie into that. Resiliency to the sun, adaptability of parents, lifestyle, history. If your whole family line were merchants and you never had to step outside without a little parasol, you're going to be soft and maybe a little more pale. You'd also get sunburnt some. After a few years in the sun, you'd develop a tan rather than the constant sunburn.

Quote from: Adieren on September 25, 2009, 12:33:42 PM
Honestly. Hair wouldn't look so bad if it were washed once every few weeks- provided said pc's hair was used to it. And most bits of grime and grit could be brushed away.  If women were to keep their hair from hanging down, and styled that also helps.

You can't always help what color your eyes are. As my three year old niece said when asked what color her eyes are, "Grey, but I didn't color them."

And as for skin... lots of things tie into that. Resiliency to the sun, adaptability of parents, lifestyle, history. If your whole family line were merchants and you never had to step outside without a little parasol, you're going to be soft and maybe a little more pale. You'd also get sunburnt some. After a few years in the sun, you'd develop a tan rather than the constant sunburn.

Except commoners aren't using water to wash, period. Nobles and templars and some merchants do, but not average commoners. Commoners drink water and would be shocked at the suggestion of someone at their station wasting it to wash. Water for washing is an incredible luxury item.

Also, eye color: Should not be blue or green nearly as often as it is. Blue and green make up about 60% of average commoner eye colors, which is silly. Pick brown more often, folks.

Skin also: Be darker, people. Brown to black. Stop making all PCs be simply "tan." Tan is just a way of saying "I'm still white!"
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

September 25, 2009, 12:57:49 PM #112 Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 01:14:28 PM by FuSoYa
Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 25, 2009, 12:51:08 PM
Except commoners aren't using water to wash, period. Nobles and templars and some merchants do, but not average commoners. Commoners drink water and would be shocked at the suggestion of someone at their station wasting it to wash. Water for washing is an incredible luxury item.

Also, eye color: Should not be blue or green nearly as often as it is. Blue and green make up about 60% of average commoner eye colors, which is silly. Pick brown more often, folks.

Skin also: Be darker, people. Brown to black. Stop making all PCs be simply "tan." Tan is just a way of saying "I'm still white!"

Most of my characters are always brown-skinned... just the way I roll.

That being said... I LOVE having green eyes.  Is that a bad thing?  Though I have had a character with eyes described in his mdesc as 'shit-brown'.

Brandon

It's not a bad thing to make a PC with green eyes, but it is a bad thing to make every PC with green eyes. Zalanthas is supposed to be a place where darker-colored people are more dominant, due to the effects of the sun. Dark skin, dark hair, and dark eyes are genetically linked on Earth; just as light skin, light hair, and light eyes are linked. These attributes are linked because populations which lived farther north mutated, over time, toward lightness so that they could absorb more vitamin D from the sun. Now, who knows why darkness is selected on Zalanthas and lightness is mostly only seen in the north? We don't really exactly know, but until it's clear otherwise, I'm gonna assume that it's vitamin D, because it makes sense.

So no, we don't have to make every single PC we play with brown hair / brown eyes / brown skin, but we should all make an effort when we are playing average commoner PCs to trend toward average commonerness. IMO, obviously.

Something interesting... what if most of the vnpcs looked common. Would  that be why our PCs stand out specifically?

I'd like to discourage players thinking their PCs always are the exception to the norm or the rule. The virtual world is not put there so that we can be different from it.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 25, 2009, 01:25:31 PM
I'd like to discourage players thinking their PCs always are the exception to the norm or the rule. The virtual world is not put there so that we can be different from it.

QFT
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 25, 2009, 01:25:31 PM

Or, like the backdrop of almost every adventure in the world, maybe it is?

Only you can decide!

I think being different from the virtual world would logically more often lead to negative outcomes for PCs; thus, if you want to play a "stand out" PC, choose characteristics that will make you stand out in a bad way. Like being a mutant, or having no teeth at all, or being a magicker, or being naturally traitorous rather than upstandingly loyal, or simply being heinously ugly. But most of the time the "but PCs are the exceptions" idea is invoked to cover PC characteristics that are good and beneficial, such as being real-world attractive, or having a lot of coins as an indie, etc.

You folks really get hung up on some crazy shit, sometimes.

It's okay, super-long mdescs+eq lists make my eyes bleed, too.

Quote from: a strange shadow on September 25, 2009, 02:46:32 PM

Bartender, another round of OCD meds for the bar!

I'd like to discourage getting discouraged!

Quote from: a strange shadow on September 25, 2009, 02:46:32 PM

For some reason I get a rush of euphoria whenever I see a short but beautiful mdesc list and a similarly short equipment list of all unique-ish items of clothing. Call me crazy. I also like it when people don't wear backpacks. And when they don't wear armor in bars.

The cool man has a concise main description filled with
intelligent sounding words, perfect grammar and a nice,
Zalanthan feel.
He is using:
<worn on head>           a purple turban
<worn on torso>          a white shirt
<worn as belt>           a purple-stained belt
<worn around body>       a purple silk tabard
<worn on legs>           a white kilt
<worn on feet>           a pair of purple boots

Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: jcljules on September 25, 2009, 04:31:56 PM
I also like it when people don't wear backpacks. And when they don't wear armor in bars.

I hate wearing backpacks but sometimes it's necessary.  I wish I could wear a shoulder bag or something.

Brandon

I've not had a PC wear a backpack in years.

Other then when actually transporting goods from point A to point B.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job