I'd like to discourage...

Started by cyberpatrol_735, August 08, 2009, 03:14:40 AM

It really depends on the item. Lots of stuff is "in stock" already. Meaning, in the GMH estate, there's an NPC where the PC merchant gets orders from. That NPC is -already- loaded with common typical stuff, plus, often, they even have stuff that had been previously "special ordered" for customers who were never around to receive them.

Hopefully, your PC merchant will have the sense to say "Let me take a look and get back to you on whether or not it's in stock." If they don't, then ask them to do that. Tell them it's something you'd like to pick up the same RL day. You can even go to the public shop, find your PC merchant's mind, say "Y'know what pal-o-mine, your merchant in your shop is demanding 500 sids for this doodad. I -know- you would do me better since I've been giving you sexual favors for months now. Any chance you could swing around and give me a better deal?"

And ya know what - if the PC isn't busy, and if she really enjoyed those sexual favors, she'll probably enjoy even more making a few sids off that item in the shop. The shop-keeper will make the necessary sids for their house, she'll make a little profit, you get the item cheaper, roleplay occurs, everyone wins.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I'd also like to discourage going against documentation.. I keep seeing things IG that irk me.
If you want something changed, ask your clan imms, otherwise.. stick to docs (or be the crazy person we all know you are).
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

I think going against the docs is fine. If you want to play a half-elf rights activist, cool.

Just don't act surprised when people look at you like you're insane.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on August 09, 2009, 03:29:55 PM
I think going against the docs is fine. If you want to play a half-elf rights activist, cool.

Just don't act surprised when people look at you like you're insane.
This. And don't hesitate to animate VNPC's to back the point.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

See now I don't agree about going against the docs.  This should be rare, unusual.  Not common place by any stretch.  If you're going to rp against the docs and expect other people to react, it is a little like saying you're not going against the docs at all.  I think if you're going to go against the docs and not wanting to be considered to be rping poorly than the responsibility is on you to make it clear that what you're doing isn't the norm.  That could be by having vnpcs react poorly to you yourself, or any other number of creative ways.

Quote from: UnderSeven on August 09, 2009, 04:35:56 PM
See now I don't agree about going against the docs.  This should be rare, unusual.  Not common place by any stretch.  If you're going to rp against the docs and expect other people to react, it is a little like saying you're not going against the docs at all.  I think if you're going to go against the docs and not wanting to be considered to be rping poorly than the responsibility is on you to make it clear that what you're doing isn't the norm.  That could be by having vnpcs react poorly to you yourself, or any other number of creative ways.

Pretty much. Yup.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I'd like to discourage people spamwalking/fleeing instantly from raiders. If a raider takes the time to make an emote or two and not outright attack you, it should be obvious they are more interested in playing a scene and would probably rather not kill you.
Free your hate.

I've seen several successful mugging/raids lately.  Kudos to both sides.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I'd like to discourage people from thinking creating good plots is anywhere close to taking a small situation and blowing way out of proportion!

Good plots can be planned or unplanned -- but they grow with a naturally-flowing building of suspense and interest.  They're rounded and rational; they do not force someone to drag themselves into it.

Regrettably, some people feel simply dragging more people into squabbles and petty fighting creates for heavy plots.   For instance, "You're PC looked at me funny so now we must be mortal enemies"     This type of crap doesn't create good plots, just tedious and needless stress (like watching Teen drama)

"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on September 19, 2009, 01:41:18 AM
I'd like to discourage people from thinking creating good plots is anywhere close to taking a small situation and blowing way out of proportion!

Good plots can be planned or unplanned -- but they grow with a naturally-flowing building of suspense and interest.  They're rounded and rational; they do not force someone to drag themselves into it.

Regrettably, some people feel simply dragging more people into squabbles and petty fighting creates for heavy plots.   For instance, "You're PC looked at me funny so now we must be mortal enemies"     This type of crap doesn't create good plots, just tedious and needless stress (like watching Teen drama)

Sometimes you just need to scratch that boredom itch, man.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 19, 2009, 01:47:26 AM

Other people aren't bored.     Better to die to Insect #285 or link-death  than because some lousy player got "bored"

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on September 19, 2009, 01:54:49 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on September 19, 2009, 01:47:26 AM

Other people aren't bored.     Better to die to Insect #285 or link-death  than because some lousy player got "bored"

O rly?

at least then it's a regrettable part of the game.

If you're PC dies in some awesome storyline -- wonderful
If your PC dies (or is rendered unplayable) because someone "was bored" -- that's just irritating.

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on September 19, 2009, 02:07:39 AM
at least then it's a regrettable part of the game.

If you're PC dies in some awesome storyline -- wonderful
If your PC dies (or is rendered unplayable) because someone "was bored" -- that's just irritating Armageddon.

Quote from: My 2 sids on September 19, 2009, 01:41:18 AM

Yeah cause in real life, petty squabbles never happen and never lead to murder or anything interesting. Also sometimes good plots start with randomness. You walk in one someone doing some fucked up shit. What flow of what and what?

September 19, 2009, 04:09:59 AM #40 Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 04:14:19 AM by jhunter
Seriously true. The best plots I've ever been involved in came around because of "monkey wrenches" thrown into the story. I think that is the foundation of the best plotlines I've ever been involved in with this game. If you don't enjoy the "monkey wrenches" thrown into your plans, then you're missing out, IMHO.
They make them more believable and enjoyable than those that feel "planned out" with a definite ending in mind from the beginning.

Noone is ever really "forced" into anything, you always have a choice within the role you are playing that may or may not be a positive thing as far as your character's wellbeing is concerned.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I'd like to discourage spamwalking, period. You never know who is watching you, following you, stealing from you, trying to backstab you, trying to type shadow... there might be IMMs trying to send you a room echo and start some plot or other... there's so much interaction you could be missing out on. Be patient. Take a second or two in between every room.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

I would discourage the use of "ooc" over the Way, *if* the person you're waying is in the same room. Obviously you can't use the OOC command with someone you're not with. Just don't expect a response, if it's with someone new to their character who has enormous stun drains just trying to find your mind to say "ooc yeah."

Players of new characters have enormous stun drains using the Way/Psi/Contact/Barrier - and busting into that just to tell their -player- something while your characters are sitting at the same table is just very very annoying. If you need to use OOC for someone you are sitting with, use OOC, not the Way. If you want to use OOC with that person away from the crowd, you can ICly ask them to join you somewhere else, and then OOC to your heart's content in the backroom or something.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

September 19, 2009, 02:48:25 PM #43 Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 03:04:06 PM by Qzzrbl
I'd like to discourage people saying something OOC before they get PK'd.

Seriously, I don't care if your character is getting killed because of an IC misunderstanding, or if he's got five billion days played-- pleading OOC will just make me feel bad about it OOC. It's not gonna save you.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on September 19, 2009, 02:48:25 PM

Seriously, I don't care if your character is getting likked because of an IC misunderstanding, or if he's got five billion days played-- pleading OOC will just make me feel bad about it OOC. It's not gonna save you.
I had someone tell me my roleplaying sucked before in an OOC. I wasn't going to kill them until they said that.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I simply discourage the use of ooc. Period. Before you type in ooc, stop, think it over, and ask yourself if it really is necessary.

Again, the only time I like to ooc is for recruiting someone in a clan, or sorting out ooc dates for planned events.

Seriously, I don't care if your character is getting killed because of an IC misunderstanding, or if he's got five billion days played-- pleading OOC will just make me feel bad about it OOC. It's not gonna save you.

Wow, that shit is wrong. I've never yet PK'ed anyone and I've had plenty of times, already, where I already felt bad OOC about the fucked up shit my PC was doing to someone else. But I think I'd probably feel bad enough OOC in that situation it would just push me over the edge into being pissed OOC that the other player would do that.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Arr, I be surprised this even happens. I be feelin' a bit sea-sick when I kill in game already, and I don't need insults and pleas from the person walkin' the plank to make it worse.

Quote from: Cutthroat on September 19, 2009, 07:31:22 PM

Arr, I be surprised this even happens. I be feelin' a bit sea-sick when I kill in game already, and I don't need insults and pleas from the person walkin' the plank to make it worse.

This kind of thing would make me feel really guilty.

ooc please man... armageddon is all i have... my real life is boring... please don't kill my PC

:'(

I generally welcome PK. Seeing as I'm always killed by mobs.

Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

No, I don't think it would be appropriate to plead OOCly to not kill one's character.
However, I do want to discourage the myth that everyone creates 200+ throw-away characters.
Players, if it's truly worth the PK than there isn't any guilt to feel.  However, there are other ways to deal problems than PK -- so some players should feel a bit of guilt about whipping around PC power and killing off a player's PC.   REMEMBER  even IC enslavement/ maiming provides more avenues for plot development than perma-death.

<this space for rent>