I'd like to discourage...

Started by cyberpatrol_735, August 08, 2009, 03:14:40 AM

Quote from: FantasyWriter on September 22, 2009, 03:17:10 PM
Quote from: Versu on September 22, 2009, 12:07:34 PM
What about those massive, 2 page descriptions? It says 4-10 lines for a reason.

Amen.

QFT. When a description is under ten lines, I almost always read it and try to visualize the character. When its over ten lines, I don't.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: Zoltan on September 22, 2009, 04:59:36 PM
I do. Bigger the better.

I like imagining some details myself. It's not the size of the boat, but the motion of the ocean. I'm sure that phrase was invented for mdescs... I think...

Mis-spelling your sdesc. Like... three times I saw it I typoed it. But soon after gave up. It's very hard to do nowadays. Red dotted lines means you got something wrong!

Quote from: Adieren on September 22, 2009, 09:02:50 PM
Mis-spelling your sdesc. Like... three times I saw it I typoed it. But soon after gave up. It's very hard to do nowadays. Red dotted lines means you got something wrong!

Some common errors I've seen in sdescs over the past long while:

haird -> haired
weatherd -> weathered
khol -> kohl

Placing commas can make or break your sdesc. "the bright green-eyed woman" and "the bright, green-eyed woman" are two different things.

Quote from: Cutthroat on September 22, 2009, 09:06:43 PM
Quote from: Adieren on September 22, 2009, 09:02:50 PM

Some common errors I've seen in sdescs over the past long while:

haird -> haired
weatherd -> weathered
khol -> kohl

Placing commas can make or break your sdesc. "the bright green-eyed woman" and "the bright, green-eyed woman" are two different things.

Try having to work closely with someone who has a glaring typo in her sdesc, and every time you see it, you die a little on the inside.

LOL
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

...staff members from approving PCs with glaring typos in their short descriptions just to be nice. If I had a glaring typo in my short description, I'd want to be corrected as to not look dumb.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: jcljules on September 22, 2009, 10:04:22 PM
...staff members from approving PCs with glaring typos in their short descriptions just to be nice. If I had a glaring typo in my short description, I'd want to be corrected as to not look dumb.

Probably an oversight.  I've had an sdesc tweaked-and-approved in one step by staff before.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

On one of my PC's, an entire line of their mdesc was edited out and replaced. Though the change wasn't heartbreaking, nor did I consent to it, but it still gave me a little urge on the inside; "Did he really do that? WTFM8?!"

You know who you are, Mr "Perfectly suited ears for a dwarf!"

In the end, it didn't much matter. I enjoyed the PC after that tremendously.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

I typo PC descriptions all the time... even had one of mine fixed because someone typoed it.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on September 23, 2009, 09:16:19 AM

Probably an oversight.  I've had an sdesc tweaked-and-approved in one step by staff before.
I've had a m-description where I forgot to .c and ended up having a whole page of two of the same descriptions.  And it got accepted.

It was horrible...

Quote from: Gobbleneck on September 23, 2009, 02:11:42 PM

I've had a m-description where I forgot to .c and ended up having a whole page of two of the same descriptions.  And it got accepted.

It was horrible...

Although not recent, I've seen this before.  God(dess) bless the Staff though, for what they do, even if some mistakes do occasionally slip through.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

I had a mdesc changed to be ungrammatically correct after it was adjusted for having the measurement "inches" on it. Even though in the docs it says inches are perfectly legit. Made me sad, but I didn't want to change the desc over that.  :'(

My mdesc is bigger than Zoltan's mdesc. :o
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Quote from: Jdr on September 23, 2009, 04:20:24 PM
My mdesc is bigger than Zoltan's mdesc. :o

*compares length and girth... eventually*  :-*
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

I dislike long mdescs.  I also dislike long eq lists, and eq lists that have items of wildly varying sdesc lengths stacked on top of each other, for example 'a red rose' on top of 'a dusty pair of chitin-ribbed leather sleeves.'

Sometimes life gets a little stressful.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

You know, Laura, that same stuff bothers me. I'd like to discourage me from being bothered by it! :)
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: LauraMars on September 24, 2009, 09:26:38 AM
eq lists that have items of wildly varying sdesc lengths stacked on top of each other, for example 'a red rose' on top of 'a dusty pair of chitin-ribbed leather sleeves'

Oh my God. I dress my PCs in such a way that this happens minimally, it annoys me so much.

Quote from: Cutthroat on September 24, 2009, 11:46:27 AM
eq lists that have items of wildly varying sdesc lengths stacked on top of each other, for example 'a red rose' on top of 'a dusty pair of chitin-ribbed leather sleeves'

Oh my God. I dress my PCs in such a way that this happens minimally, it annoys me so much.

And here I thought I was the only one.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Ourla on September 24, 2009, 11:49:55 AM
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 24, 2009, 11:46:27 AM

And here I thought I was the only one.

Praise be to closed cloaks. I normally don't mind ... except when people were a ring on every single finger ... that's ... just jesus ...
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Everyone know a large staggered eq list means you're char is GG.

I'd like to discourage using death and destruction as the answer to problems.  There are so many more creative solutions that can be so much more satisfying.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

I would like to discourage the sharing of OOC information - from players knowing who is playing which characters, to players knowing details of plots they are not involved in and player's characters knowing secrets that their characters have no right in knowing.

It frustrates me to no end.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on September 23, 2009, 09:16:19 AM

Probably an oversight.  I've had an sdesc tweaked-and-approved in one step by staff before.

An oversight.  I spell check every app I approve and fix the typos.
Tiernan: I think it's someone playing a game
Thistle: Is that game called 'armageddon'?
Nyr swings a steel greatsword named 'Immortal Slayer' at Thistle, a thorny potted plant.
Tiernan the Timelord leans backward and boots you right in your head.
/* T