I'd like to discourage...

Started by cyberpatrol_735, August 08, 2009, 03:14:40 AM

September 19, 2009, 09:49:17 PM #50 Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 02:18:52 AM by Delstro
Give me death over death by dismemberment and an inability to do anything with my PC.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Depending on the how and why of the PK, I might feel vaguely guilty (probably not, though).  The moment a player OOC whined about it, not only would my vague guilt evaporate, but I'd send a player complaint as soon as I was done beheading them, peeing on their corpse, and selling their boots.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I've never seen anyone ask ooc to be spared.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on September 19, 2009, 11:24:27 PM
I've never seen anyone ask ooc to be spared.

You aren't killing them hard enough.

Quote from: My 2 sids on September 19, 2009, 01:41:18 AMI'd like to discourage people from thinking creating good plots is anywhere close to taking a small situation and blowing way out of proportion!

Good plots can be planned or unplanned -- but they grow with a naturally-flowing building of suspense and interest.  They're rounded and rational; they do not force someone to drag themselves into it.

Regrettably, some people feel simply dragging more people into squabbles and petty fighting creates for heavy plots.   For instance, "You're PC looked at me funny so now we must be mortal enemies"     This type of crap doesn't create good plots, just tedious and needless stress (like watching Teen drama)

QFT

^ Yessssss.

I can't count how many times I have been annoyed by "plots" that seemed forced and over-dramatic, especially in an otherwise gritty, dog-eat-dog desert world where there's far more important - and deadly - things to worry about.

OH MY GOD THE GUY I SLEPT WITH ONCE AND HAVE KNOWN FOR THREE WEEKS DIED AND NOW I WANT TO COMMIT SUICIDE WAAAAH WAAAH OH HEY LOOK I'M PREGNANT WITH HIS CHILD WAAAAH

September 20, 2009, 11:32:04 AM #56 Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:47:23 AM by Gobbleneck
I'd like to discourage more and more incarceration killings.  Chop my char's hand(s) off, exile him, do something!

Quote from: Delstro on September 19, 2009, 09:49:17 PM
Give me death over death by dismemberment and an inability to do anything with my PC.

Quote from: Gobbleneck on September 20, 2009, 11:32:04 AM
I'd like to discourage more and more incarceration killings.  Chop my char's hand off, exile him, do something!

This just made me laugh. Delstro + Gobbleneck as incompetent criminals? Comedy gold.

"Just cut off my arm!" "No, just kill me!"

If the person has time to type OOC: --- or any other command then you were doing it wrong and they were never a big enough threat to need pking in the first place!  Haha just kidding... kind of.

People complaining about pk OOC is by far my biggest pet peeve on armageddon over the past year.  People whine on the boards, use the complaint tool and kick up a stupid shit storm over a legitimate part of the game - assuming the pk was done with good IC motivation yadda yadda yadda.  Which it generally is, in my experience anyways.

I killed a couple pc's with a character of mine over the past years that were vastly superior and more powerful from both IC' and OOC perspectives that made complaints because 'they killed them too fast' or 'they didn't have a good reason' - when really their complaint should have been directed to themselves for engaging in behaviour that made them vulnerable in a place where they knew people/someone wouldn't like them or be after them.  This whole sense of 'if I get pk'd, I better have a chance to defend myself or at least emote for an hour' is absurd.  If someone has a reason to kill your pc, whether you think it's a good reason or not, taking your pc down by whatever means necessary is part of the game and a pretty fun, intense part of the game.

It's just really funny because there's all this toting of phrases like, 'you can't win the game' directed at the pk-er but it's never considered when someone is crying over their pc that they just lost.  Make a new character and enjoy the game, you're playing armageddon, not '-character's name-'.

maybe I'm just bitchy

Quote from: roughneck on September 20, 2009, 12:15:11 PM
If the person has time to type OOC: --- or any other command then you were doing it wrong and they were never a big enough threat to need pking in the first place!  Haha just kidding... kind of.

People complaining about pk OOC is by far my biggest pet peeve on armageddon over the past year.  People whine on the boards, use the complaint tool and kick up a stupid shit storm over a legitimate part of the game - assuming the pk was done with good IC motivation yadda yadda yadda.  Which it generally is, in my experience anyways.

I killed a couple pc's with a character of mine over the past years that were vastly superior and more powerful from both IC' and OOC perspectives that made complaints because 'they killed them too fast' or 'they didn't have a good reason' - when really their complaint should have been directed to themselves for engaging in behaviour that made them vulnerable in a place where they knew people/someone wouldn't like them or be after them.  This whole sense of 'if I get pk'd, I better have a chance to defend myself or at least emote for an hour' is absurd.  If someone has a reason to kill your pc, whether you think it's a good reason or not, taking your pc down by whatever means necessary is part of the game and a pretty fun, intense part of the game.

It's just really funny because there's all this toting of phrases like, 'you can't win the game' directed at the pk-er but it's never considered when someone is crying over their pc that they just lost.  Make a new character and enjoy the game, you're playing armageddon, not '-character's name-'.

maybe I'm just bitchy

QFT.
Majikal Quote:
"I  came in a girls hair products when she was too drunk to finish blowing me... she still doesn't know. We're still friends."

September 21, 2009, 07:43:34 AM #60 Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 07:45:59 AM by FantasyWriter
'Steal'ing repeatedly from a conscious and standing person (and failing to boot) in the middle of the desert with little or no cover in the middle of the day in clear weather.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on September 21, 2009, 07:43:34 AM
'Steal'ing repeatedly (and failing to boot) from someone in the middle of the desert with little or no cover in the middle of the day in clear weather.

An unkempt, weather-worn hunter shouts, in sirihish:
     "Thief! Thief!"

"Thief! Thief!"

"Thief! Thief!"

"Thief! Thief!"

A dark-shelled scrab has arrived from the south.
A kryl has arrived from the east, riding a ruddy-brown mekillot.
A gortok has arrived from the north.
A dujat has arrived from the west.

>sneak
>hide
>s

I'd like to discourage the overuse of connectectives in descriptions.  Such as... "attached to his torso are big arms; sprouting from them, tiny fingers" and etc. etc.

I just >looked at a certain player and it it read like their character was Mister Potato Head.

Quote from: Gobbleneck on September 22, 2009, 12:06:32 AM
I'd like to discourage the overuse of connectectives in descriptions.  Such as... "attached to his torso are big arms; sprouting from them, tiny fingers" and etc. etc.

I just >looked at a certain player and it it read like their character was Mister Potato Head.

LOL
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

September 22, 2009, 06:06:59 AM #64 Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 06:34:37 AM by number13
I'd like to discourage the overuse of connectectives in descriptions.  Such as... "attached to his torso are big arms; sprouting from them, tiny fingers" and etc. etc.

:hangs head in shame.

edit: I recant my shame. Looking over http://www.armageddon.org/myaccount/displayBio.php, and it turns out my saved descs aren't all that bad.  I think the 'arms attached to shoulders, spouting growths of thick fingers on well-weathered hands. His legs have feet.' syndrome is something I suffered from on earlier characters, due to an example character I remember in an ancient 'how to write character desc' tutorial.  It might still be on the website or old forum somewhere.

One of my favourite awful mdescs from a couple years back was formatted like this, and it ended with "two legs sprout from his torso, and attached to each is a foot."

... REALLY? You don't say.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on September 22, 2009, 06:08:00 AM
One of my favourite awful mdescs from a couple years back was formatted like this, and it ended with "two legs sprout from his torso, and attached to each is a foot."

... REALLY? You don't say.

Was he from UnderTuluk? Because down there, you never know...
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I once saw a guy some years ago who's description was gigantic, though it only described his head and referenced no other part of his body even remotely. His sdesc as well was only head-based.. I always imagined that guy as a tiny, floating head. I laughed every time he walked into the bar.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I'd like to discourage sdesc/mdesc hookups that don't correspond with each other.

Example
the sleek, brown-eyed woman.

mdesc:
Here's a woman with long tanned legs and arms, and a curvy torso. She has dark-tressed tresses that end in a tressy tumble down at her waist. She has bodaceous tatas and grabable hips, flaring from a tiny waist. She has the obligatory tiny scar, almost unnoticeable, under her left ear but otherwise has flawless skin.

Notice - nowhere in her main desc does she mention her eyes, and, her main desc implies that she is anything BUT sleek.

It isn't that the sdesc has to have the exact same words as the main desc, but one needs to include a description of the other. When that woman's hood is up, and someone is trying to describe her, NO ONE would ever guess that she was the sleek, brown-eyed woman. No one would be even capable of describing her as such, even if she was buck naked except for a veil that showed ONLY her eyes.

What color eyes did she have? I dunno. Well could you see them? Yep, sure could, her veil only covered her nose down. Then how come you couldn't tell me what color eyes she had? Uh, cause she didn't put them in her main desc. Well what body type did she have? Ah - curvy, robust, fleshy, the kind you'd wanna bend over and grab. Great tits and ass. So we're looking for the eyeless curvy woman? Yeah.

And now she gets away with pretty much anything other than the crim-code, all because her sdesc has nothing to do with her mdesc.

Most times I think this isn't intentional. But it is something people really need to be aware of when they're creating their characters.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on September 22, 2009, 08:04:12 AM
I'd like to discourage sdesc/mdesc hookups that don't correspond with each other.

I really want to do nasty things to PCs like this that will end in them being forced to make  new PC.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Lizzie on September 22, 2009, 08:04:12 AM
Most times I think this isn't intentional. But it is something people really need to be aware of when they're creating their characters.

I think for the most part it is intentional - though whether or not they do so for the express purpose of avoiding description by others, or to "be different" (in the same way people scour the dictionary for cool and unusual jargon) is anyone's guess.

But since this is a "I'd like to discourage..." thread and not a "I agree with you totally..." thread, here's my 2 cents:

Do not use a fancy, pretty word straight out of the dictionary unless you are ABSOLUTELY certain of what it means. I'd like to discourage the apping of the man "with stark gray locks adorning his well-tanned, unscarred cervix" as well as "the celluloid-scarred man."
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

What about those massive, 2 page descriptions? It says 4-10 lines for a reason.

Quote from: Versu on September 22, 2009, 12:07:34 PM
What about those massive, 2 page descriptions? It says 4-10 lines for a reason.

Amen.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I do. Bigger the better.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples