Request for Feedback: Trample

Started by Morgenes, July 27, 2009, 08:37:52 PM

What do you think should be done to trample to better balance it?

remove the post-delay for the victim
5 (10.2%)
increase post-delay for the attacker
5 (10.2%)
reduce chance of it working based on # of people attacking the victim
11 (22.4%)
reduce chance if the victim isn't fighting you
5 (10.2%)
all of the above
11 (22.4%)
rip trample out
12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Quote from: Sephiroto on August 05, 2009, 03:45:13 PM
That's the point.  Don't want to break your mount's legs, then don't trample over shit.  It goes with the territory.

Injuring a leg I could see. Making it harder to move, injuring a leg or other parts, yes. Breaking a leg? That pretty much gurentees that you'd have to kill the mount, or put it down. Unless there's a Vividuian involved, I think the mount is a goner. I'm not against mount injury, but breaking a leg should be a real thing, codedly speaking. If everytime a PC went into battle, and had a chance of breaking an arm or a leg, codedly, wouldn't that really change things? I'm not saying that mounts shouldn't break legs, but I think that injury in terms of HP or STUN is probably better for the game, unless it's a massive failure in the attempt.

Making moving an injured mount could cause it to loose more HP, with an increasing risk to it, if you have to flee. There could be other "sliding" penalties, but it seems like a failure resulting in instant worthlessness of the mount and potential stranding in the middle of hostile territory would make no one use trample, ever.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Taven on August 05, 2009, 08:43:23 PM
Quote from: Sephiroto on August 05, 2009, 03:45:13 PM
That's the point.  Don't want to break your mount's legs, then don't trample over shit.  It goes with the territory.

Injuring a leg I could see. Making it harder to move, injuring a leg or other parts, yes. Breaking a leg? That pretty much gurentees that you'd have to kill the mount, or put it down. Unless there's a Vividuian involved, I think the mount is a goner. I'm not against mount injury, but breaking a leg should be a real thing, codedly speaking. If everytime a PC went into battle, and had a chance of breaking an arm or a leg, codedly, wouldn't that really change things? I'm not saying that mounts shouldn't break legs, but I think that injury in terms of HP or STUN is probably better for the game, unless it's a massive failure in the attempt.

Making moving an injured mount could cause it to loose more HP, with an increasing risk to it, if you have to flee. There could be other "sliding" penalties, but it seems like a failure resulting in instant worthlessness of the mount and potential stranding in the middle of hostile territory would make no one use trample, ever.

I guess I'm ok with the idea of the mount breaking its leg on a failed attempt, but lets be fair ... and make it so that a failed bash attempt dislocates the shoulder and forces the person in question to drop their weapons and not be able to wield them again until they're all fixed up. That's the point right? Don't want to dislocate your shoulder? Don't bash shit. It goes with the territory.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I don't want to see mounts hurt themselves every failed or successful attempt.  I'd like to see it at a percentage similar to falling on your neck when failing a climb check.  Its a risk you take, you know, to balance things out.

Quote from: Sephiroto on August 11, 2009, 01:35:00 PM
I don't want to see mounts hurt themselves every failed or successful attempt.  I'd like to see it at a percentage similar to falling on your neck when failing a climb check.  Its a risk you take, you know, to balance things out.

say (raising an eyebrow) Indeed.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Isn't there already a risk of landing on your neck and passing out when a mount bucks you? I seem to remember that in the helpfiles.

Quote from: musashi on August 11, 2009, 02:57:44 PM
Isn't there already a risk of landing on your neck and passing out when a mount bucks you? I seem to remember that in the helpfiles.

The only way you'll pass out is if your stun is already so low that the stun damage from the fall puts you < 0.  As far as I know, there's no "you landed on your neck!" instant loss of 80+ stun.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 13, 2009, 02:24:14 PM
As far as I know, there's no "you landed on your neck!" instant loss of 80+ stun.

There may be a "you landed on your neck!" instant loss of life.  But I heard it from an NPC, and you know how they are.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 13, 2009, 02:24:14 PM
Quote from: musashi on August 11, 2009, 02:57:44 PM

The only way you'll pass out is if your stun is already so low that the stun damage from the fall puts you < 0.  As far as I know, there's no "you landed on your neck!" instant loss of 80+ stun.

But it is in there right? Being bucked from your mount taking down your stun? It makes since to me for the stun loss to be significantly less than what you would suffer for failing a climb check.

Falling off a bettle < falling off the shield wall.

Wait, isn't Charge the same thing?

This makes me want an elven equalizer.

Quote from: Versu on August 26, 2009, 11:51:01 AM

> hide
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

If this stops charge from being abused I'm down. At first it sounded like a new uber attack. Now it sounds like charge has been broken into 2 skills.

Elves should get racial backstab. Yay great idea!

Elves get 'I don't have to rely on this stupid mount'.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I don't know if it's just me, but I have yet to successfully trample anything... ever. I use the skill fairly often and have a goodly amount of time played on my character.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on August 27, 2009, 12:29:03 AM
I don't know if it's just me, but I have yet to successfully trample anything... ever. I use the skill fairly often and have a goodly amount of time played on my character.

Yes, and not just you and I. I actually emailed the staff about it recently. My character has never been able to trample anything either, even if said animal was already stunned or nearly dieing on the ground. They still dodge it.

Yeah, I've never managed to actually trample anything while it wasn't critically wounded.

I think I did it a few times vs. something that was mortally wounded, but it had so little effect I did it three times and the critter was still alive.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Versu on August 26, 2009, 11:51:01 AM

Hah. Considering desert elves can out run and out maneuver, easily, a war beetle...A skilled desert elf is almost impossible to take down without several very successful charges. I don't know how trample factors into it, as I haven't played more than an hour or two in the last few months. But I do remember dealing with desert elf and their magic legs bullshit. I would have preferred to saddle up one of them than a beetle.

Same here. Never had a success.
Squinting at the such-and-such dwarf, the so-and-so woman asks, in sirihish:
     "You put jam in your peenee hole to keep from making baby juice?"

Quote from: netflix on August 31, 2009, 03:09:38 PM

Same here. Never had a success.

I'm told there will be a bug fix soon to correct this. Yay Morgenes!

Quote from: musashi on August 31, 2009, 08:58:55 PM
I'm told there will be a bug fix soon to correct this. Yay Morgenes!

Has there beeb anymore word on this?
Squinting at the such-and-such dwarf, the so-and-so woman asks, in sirihish:
     "You put jam in your peenee hole to keep from making baby juice?"

Not yet, I'm still waiting.

I think the crash had something to do with the Charge / Trample code. All of a sudden, I'm failing charges and succeeding with trampling.
It sucks that I can't spam-charge that mekillot anymore, but at least I can trample everyone else!
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

Quote from: Xagon on September 07, 2009, 04:44:28 PM
I think the crash had something to do with the Charge / Trample code. All of a sudden, I'm failing charges and succeeding with trampling.
It sucks that I can't spam-charge that mekillot anymore, but at least I can trample everyone else!

Charging mekillots was the best thing ever.

I've had a few days played to mess around with trample.

1) I think people, especially warriors, should get a higher skill cap with it. There is reference in the docs to heavy cavalry regiments of war beetles...Well. Let's give some mounts bonuses to trampling, and make the max for it a bit higher for warriors, to do that heavy cavalry goodness.

2) Increase the before - after timer, since if the skill is more reliable, it should have a corresponding increase in time before and after using it.

Right now, it seems to function like a mounted kick. Just a bit less useful.

/That said, I adore the fact that it was even added at all...

What I would've preferred, is to have some kind of special animal, a version of Inix and a version of Beetle that is designed for trampling/charging. It would not be as quick or as vigorous as regular mounts, be significantly expensive, but give a sizable bonus to charge and trample. Something to allow the concept of "heavy cavalry" come true, and yet not allow every two bit ranger/warrior to be a one man heavy cavalry unit.

Something that offers a bonus significant enough to make it worth the negatives to ride on when you're going out to war. But have enough negatives in it, to make the casual travel use unwise.

September 15, 2009, 05:54:21 PM #99 Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 05:57:35 PM by FantasyWriter
-War-beetle?

Less sarcasm: If I remember correctly, compared to your average grey kank, a war beetle was just about what you described.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.