Request for Feedback: Trample

Started by Morgenes, July 27, 2009, 08:37:52 PM

What do you think should be done to trample to better balance it?

remove the post-delay for the victim
5 (10.2%)
increase post-delay for the attacker
5 (10.2%)
reduce chance of it working based on # of people attacking the victim
11 (22.4%)
reduce chance if the victim isn't fighting you
5 (10.2%)
all of the above
11 (22.4%)
rip trample out
12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Idea: Mounts unable or less capable of trampling when fatigued by varying degrees.  Chance to injure mount (health) or break limbs (unable to move) while trampling.

Quote from: Sephiroto on July 31, 2009, 04:41:54 PM
Idea: Mounts unable or less capable of trampling when fatigued by varying degrees.  Chance to injure mount (health) or break limbs (unable to move) while trampling.

Aweseome, awesome, and more awesome.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Nooooo, such a bad idea.....
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: tortall on July 31, 2009, 07:18:03 PM

Why?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Has anyone else noticed that stunned opponents can regularly evade trample.
I bugged it just in case it's not working as intended.
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Heh, I was going to offer as a suggestion ... makng trample possible to do ... at least once out of 100 times?

My skill with it must suck  :-\
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Injure mount I like, breaking a limb not as much. While trampling should be deangerous to the mount, having an unable to move mount in a fight in the middle of the desert could very well be a death sentance. I would be okay with it if it had a very low percent change to happen, or only happened in extreme failure. Again, injuring a mount in the trample for health I think is great.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Taven on August 02, 2009, 10:44:16 AM

Injure mount I like, breaking a limb not as much. While trampling should be deangerous to the mount, having an unable to move mount in a fight in the middle of the desert could very well be a death sentance. I would be okay with it if it had a very low percent change to happen, or only happened in extreme failure. Again, injuring a mount in the trample for health I think is great.

I can handle mount being injured. Breaking limbs.... I'd rather just get RID of trample than break limbs. I can't get it to work anyways. I'm assuming everyone who got the skill started at 0 or something? Because I'm pretty sure my ride is maxed, and I always fail with trample.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

I'm pretty sure my ride skill isn't maxed, but none the less ... I've never actually succeded in trampling anything yet either, even agaist already prone things.

Quote from: musashi on August 02, 2009, 02:19:37 PM
I'm pretty sure my ride skill isn't maxed, but none the less ... I've never actually succeded in trampling anything yet either, even agaist already prone things.

same here, I haven't fell off my mount fighting in several several days now, and -still- have yet to trample something even if its stunned on the ground OR led with a successful charge.

don't know though, will keep trying
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

I bugged it IG, now that I know other people are having the same experience. Just in case.

I haven't used trample at all, and I haven't charged in at least a year, so I'm not going to add feedback to those skills specifically...

However, feeding off of something Morgenes said about mounted combat not being fleshed out enough for use as a real combat style in arm1, I think maybe some more additions could balance the issue and test some ideas for arm2.

Attacks on mounts for one. If I'm fighting a mounted enemy I can't do any damage to the mount itself unless I initiate combat, which unless I'm mistaken, I can't do without first fleeing (I'm not sure if I can do it by disengaging and then attacking a new target - can you do that when a first opponent is already attacking you?).  Even if I can, I face the new problem of fighting the attacker -and- the mount, suffering penalties and probably still being prone to charges and tramples, even though the "reality" of being charged by a giant lizard or insect is that they're already a part of the fight before codedly involving their own attacks. So under few circumstances will I attempt to put my spear into that war beetle to cripple my mounted enemy.

Perhaps treating a mount and his rider as one combatant makes more sense. In one version of this idea random attacks target the mount, but this presents the problem of mounted fighters having an enormous hp buffer in addition to their other current advantages. With that in place heavier defensive penalties would be called for, not lighter ones. In the second version, the mount actually has a chance of taking damage from the code, separate from enemy attacks, reflecting all the weapons swinging, bodies crashing, and the sheer risk involved in getting an animal with a person on its back involved in combat.

Additionally, treating them both as one combatant would mean the mount takes on a more gear-like role, granting bonuses or penalties to the rider's actions based on its ability as a war mount. Throw in saddles, barding, and other 'packab'le' goodies and having a mount that won't break its legs frrom the force of being involved in a heavy fight becomes an expensive but worthwhile investment.

Dig?

Quote from: House Rising Sun on August 02, 2009, 07:27:20 PM
Additionally, treating them both as one combatant would mean the mount takes on a more gear-like role, granting bonuses or penalties to the rider's actions based on its ability as a war mount. Throw in saddles, barding, and other 'packab'le' goodies and having a mount that won't break its legs frrom the force of being involved in a heavy fight becomes an expensive but worthwhile investment.

My favorite part about that idea is that narrowing down to the best warmount for -you- would have real benefits and drawbacks. It wouldn't just be a "well, this mount has kind of low stamina, so there's no way I'll take it out" thing anymore.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

August 02, 2009, 10:26:38 PM #63 Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 10:29:44 PM by musashi
I can't help but feel like before we go down the road of "standing fighters should be able to hamstring the mounts of mounted fighters" we should also work out how "mounted fighters should be able to easily maneuver around standing fighters because they're riding an animal and unless they're fighting a desert elf odds are the humanoid is not going to be able to chase after them unless they're also on a mount".

I think the main reason mounts were employed in history as aids of war in the first place is because of their mobility, not their ability to kick people or in some way be "an extra attack". That aspect of fighting seems to be missing almost entirely in Arm due to the limitations of the combat engine.

Folks on a mount have a better chance of getting away while fleeing because they won't run out of stamina, but calavary was usually used by charging at the opposing force, taking swings in passing, getting quickly out of range, and then turning around to do it again or moving onto another target.

I'd like to see those abilities somehow introduced before we start coding how to lame the animals.

In an aside: It is awesome now how a charging animal's "bash" takes your PC's mount's size into effect when it tries. I saw a certain big creature try to bash someone riding a bigger creature, and the would be basher ended up sprawled on the ground. Very nice ... because I always found it a bit silly that carru and the like could jump up higher than a war beetle to bash you off of it, and into the next room somehow.

I find it funny that animals barely a cord off the ground can jump up and hit you in the head.

That being said, Trample does not work for me. I've hit every single attempted charge, but zero tramples.

> Nosave trample off
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

I know. That has to be a bug.

Quote from: Xagon on August 05, 2009, 09:29:53 AM
I find it funny that animals barely a cord off the ground can jump up and hit you in the head.

That being said, Trample does not work for me. I've hit every single attempted charge, but zero tramples.

> Nosave trample off

Well since attempting since it was put in I -still- haven't successfully landed one even on near-death stunned critters.
damn the super spasms of evasion3

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Morgenes??? Can we fixes it? Pleeeease?  :'(

Somehow I think that those of you that have the skill but are unable to be successful simply have low skill or skill caps.

I've seen many PCs being very successful with the skill. To the point that I think it is still a bit too powerful.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I could do it when it FIRST came in ... then after the second reboot when (I think) Morgenes wanted to tone it down ... it hasn't worked since. Are you talking about after the second reboot X-D?

Quote from: X-D on August 05, 2009, 01:53:07 PM
Somehow I think that those of you that have the skill but are unable to be successful simply have low skill or skill caps.

I've seen many PCs being very successful with the skill. To the point that I think it is still a bit too powerful.

Maybe my ride skill isn't high enough but i -never- fight unmounted, and always wield two weapons, or shoot mounted, not sure how to increase my ride skill more.
last time I fell off of my mount was probably RL week ago -maybe- don't recall

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Quote from: shadeoux on August 05, 2009, 02:23:37 PM
Maybe my ride skill isn't high enough but i -never- fight unmounted, and always wield two weapons, or shoot mounted, not sure how to increase my ride skill more.
last time I fell off of my mount was probably RL week ago -maybe- don't recall

If you fell off that recently, you're prob'ly not maxed.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Mmm, wasn't trample supposed to be for all highly skilled riders, not just Rangers?  Of course, I can only think of one other guild that would obviously fall into that definition.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Not knowing y'all's experiences with trample all I can say is...I've seen it working. I've personally been trampled several times. Let's stop trying to trample me. Thanks.  ;D

Quote from: Taven on August 02, 2009, 10:44:16 AM

That's the point.  Don't want to break your mount's legs, then don't trample over shit.  It goes with the territory.