RL to Sirihish slang

Started by SMuz, March 09, 2009, 03:04:40 AM

Quote from: Shalooonsh on March 09, 2009, 11:42:03 AM
Quote from: Ampere on March 09, 2009, 11:19:49 AM
Deja vu isn't slang.

That's true, it's not slang.  However, no matter how much we all think it is, Tuluk is not France.

...Sun King?   :-*
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Quote from: rishenko on March 09, 2009, 04:33:17 PM
Quote from: Ourla on March 09, 2009, 03:19:54 PM
Quote from: NoteworthyFellow on March 09, 2009, 01:59:49 PM
I like rishenko's idea to use "Whira's flash" instead of deja vu.  Whereas I'm okay with using most foreign loanwords in-game (I made a thread about this some many months ago), deja vu does seem a little over-the-line.  "Whira's flash," on the other hand, or something else related to Whira, fits right in with elemental superstitions and sounds both Zalanthan and catchy.  I dig it.

I'd like to see someone in Tuluk professing they were experiencing a 'flash of Whira.'   ;)

You mean like somebody having Krath's Touch? ;)

I could see the Tuluki version being referred to as Sun King's Kiss, Muk's Sight or Radiance's Warning.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Quote from: Shalooonsh on March 09, 2009, 04:54:27 PM
I like rishenko's idea to use "Whira's flash" instead of deja vu.  Whereas I'm okay with using most foreign loanwords in-game (I made a thread about this some many months ago), deja vu does seem a little over-the-line.  "Whira's flash," on the other hand, or something else related to Whira, fits right in with elemental superstitions and sounds both Zalanthan and catchy.  I dig it.

I'd like to see someone in Tuluk professing they were experiencing a 'flash of Whira.'   ;)

I could see the Tuluki version being referred to as Sun King's Kiss, Muk's Sight or Radiance's Warning.

Am I the only one getting a vision of Jihaens giving "the Sun King's Kiss" to young boys?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Shalooonsh on March 09, 2009, 04:54:27 PM

I could see the Tuluki version being referred to as Sun King's Kiss,
Muk's Sight or Radiance's Warning.

I still say it's unnecessary as we've been using the phrase for over a hundred years.  But this one's pretty cool...find out IC.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

You guys have all convinced me to stick with deja vu.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

There's something even MORE jarring about trying to use some IC phrase for something so ingrained into our language as (for example) deja vu. Seriously I'd just get embarrassed for you.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

I use 'per se' IG.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I only use, "Merci beaucoup" and "a la carte", myself.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on March 10, 2009, 01:59:23 AM

> As he rides through the gates at the head of a formation of brown-clad mercenaries, the man wearing a black beret shouts, in northern-accented sirihish:
     "Laissez bon temps roulez!"
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Actually, rust only requires oxygen. Iron will rust at 0% H2O (just very slowly...unless it is hot or the concentration is high or other factors to speed the process) Iron will NOT rust at 0% oxygen no matter what other factors are involved.

Still, rust as a color is fine, it only would take one person to ever notice rust on an iron knife then later use it as the color for that guys hair for it to catch on and stick for all time.

But most commoners would have no idea of the affects of rust on iron, so, using the term being rusty would be very unlikely.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I don't really see what the big deal is, to be honest. If the language is to be policed, making sure that it doesn't sound 'modern' is my biggest concern, rather than splitting hairs over whether or not Zalanthians would know what the word rusty means. Perhaps they use the word rusty without having any idea where the root of the word comes from - suddenly it just becomes a literal term instead of a figurative one and we don't have to awkwardly modify the way we speak. The same can be said for French words. English borrows an enormous amount from the French language. To me, even though we're speaking Sirihish in game, we're seeing an English translation. There's too much of the language which doesn't -quite- mesh with the game world.

So as a general rule, I think anything that sounds like modern slang, or obviously borrowed language isn't really appropriate. The way we use deja vu indicates it's explicitly borrowed from another language, so I'm not too comfortable with it. It'd be nicer for some IC 'fantasy gibberish' to be used to replace phrases like that. Most iso clan docs are full of expressions like that, why not include a couple for sirihish speakers?
Mansa to Me: "You are a cancer to ArmageddonMUD."

Zalanthans may not be referring to iron rust.  They may be referring to rust that occurs on wheat.  Which at least some commoners would be familiar with.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Do whatever you feel comfortable with, and give others some leeway when you disagree with their choices.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: staggerlee on March 10, 2009, 12:34:31 PM
Do whatever you feel comfortable with, and give others some leeway when you disagree with their choices.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Synthesis on March 10, 2009, 02:14:51 AM
Quote from: Malken on March 10, 2009, 01:59:23 AM

> As he rides through the gates at the head of a formation of brown-clad mercenaries, the man wearing a black beret shouts, in northern-accented sirihish:
     "Laissez bon temps roulez!"

Straight to Sig.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Jdr on March 09, 2009, 06:52:29 PM
There's something even MORE jarring about trying to use some IC phrase for something so ingrained into our language as (for example) deja vu. Seriously I'd just get embarrassed for you.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Heh, I liked Delstro's "running skinny" myself.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

You come up with to most profound shit sometimes, Stagger. Look forward to you posts, more often than not.

Wagon is German... English and not kings english.. Is a homoginized amalgam of world languages.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

QFT.

If you like one of the options besides deja vu, per se, et cetera, it's your decision.  It's not a bad thing to use something set in the context of the world.  People use "Tek's balls", "Krath's touch", "feck", "kanking" and various others without being looked at like retards, so why not add even more flavor?

Quote from: rishenko on March 11, 2009, 09:56:03 AM
If you like one of the options besides deja vu, per se, et cetera, it's your decision.  It's not a bad thing to use something set in the context of the world.  People use "Tek's balls", "Krath's touch", "feck", "kanking" and various others without being looked at like retards, so why not add even more flavor?

Sure, it's your decision, albeit one I find to be wrong.

1) Deja vu is French, not Zalanthan. There is no context. The word simply shouldn't belong.

2) Per se is Latin, not Zalanthan. There is no context. The word simply shouldn't belong.

3) Etcetera  is a Latin expression, not a Zalanthan one. There is no context. The word simply shouldn't belong.

Lastly, people use words like "Tek's Balls," "Krath Struck" and "kanking" because they fit within the mold of Zalanthas. Using these words RL would yield "wtf looks."

Quote from: Eloran on March 11, 2009, 09:36:02 PM

1) Deja vu is French, not Zalanthan. There is no context. The word simply shouldn't belong.

2) Per se is Latin, not Zalanthan. There is no context. The word simply shouldn't belong.

3) Etcetera  is a Latin expression, not a Zalanthan one. There is no context. The word simply shouldn't belong.

Lastly, people use words like "Tek's Balls," "Krath Struck" and "kanking" because they fit within the mold of Zalanthas. Using these words RL would yield "wtf looks."

Ahhh, my apologies...  For the sake of clarity, replace besides with instead.  I thought my next sentence after that, bolded as well, along with my previous suggestion of "Whira's Flash" would have been sufficient to show that we are actually in agreement.  Either way, *thumbs up* to people who come up with shit that fits Zalanthas instead of using semi-jarring phrases from the real world.

I'm sorry, but "the" is English, it shouldn't belong.

Yes, that IS a trollish remark, but it bluntly makes my point. WE, the PLAYERS don't speak Sirihish. We speak English, and that means that no term is REALLY Zalanthian. We all have our own ideas of what "Zalanthian" is within English, but it's still not direct. I personally find many modern slang terms IC jarring, but if there's an instance where words like "Deja Vu" fit in, then I wouldn't flatly state that they don't belong.

Commonly, you see noble or more "learned" people using words that commoners can't eeasily grasp. I've had an immortal-animated PC make reference to a "River" before, and a certain Red Robe try to explain "Adjectives" to my character (who never did grasp the concept). I think that in the right setting and situation, alot of "not Zalanthian" words can work. What I find most jarring is not the little phrases from other languages that we use, but the common slang and speech patterns that are commonly used today slipping into Zalanthas. Deja Vu is a term; it might seem jarring in Zalanthas, but there is no real English eqivlent to it, in a single word.

I personally tend to use "I feel like this has happened before," or something of the like, but I don't think that "borrowed" words are THAT bad.

</rant>

Sorry, a little bit passionate there. I'm not trying to attack you, just express my opinions.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Taven on March 11, 2009, 09:58:08 PM

Yes, that IS a trollish remark, but it bluntly makes my point.

1) Sorry, no. That's a poor and incorrect comparison.

2) No, said statement does nothing but make you look childish and rude.

WE, the PLAYERS don't speak Sirihish.

You are correct, we don't. However, our characters do. Try to imagine that the words your typing out aren't English in origin, but rather Sirihish, or Allundean, or Mirukkim.

Sorry, a little bit passionate there. I'm not trying to attack you, just express my opinions.

Perhaps you should edit your post to reflect your passion. You can be passionate about something without being rude and condescending.

Yes, that IS a trollish remark, but it bluntly makes my point. WE, the PLAYERS don't speak Sirihish. We speak English, and that means that no term is REALLY Zalanthian. We all have our own ideas of what "Zalanthian" is within English, but it's still not direct. I personally find many modern slang terms IC jarring, but if there's an instance where words like "Deja Vu" fit in, then I wouldn't flatly state that they don't belong.

Commonly, you see noble or more "learned" people using words that commoners can't eeasily grasp. I've had an immortal-animated PC make reference to a "River" before, and a certain Red Robe try to explain "Adjectives" to my character (who never did grasp the concept). I think that in the right setting and situation, alot of "not Zalanthian" words can work. What I find most jarring is not the little phrases from other languages that we use, but the common slang and speech patterns that are commonly used today slipping into Zalanthas. Deja Vu is a term; it might seem jarring in Zalanthas, but there is no real English eqivlent to it, in a single word.

I personally tend to use "I feel like this has happened before," or something of the like, but I don't think that "borrowed" words are THAT bad.

</rant>

I love that folks care enough around here to have these kinds of debates and put serious thought into it, because it only increases the quality of the gameplay.  You know, however, in some ways, I kinda agree?  I think the piece I'd like to add is a degree of recognition of in character speech patterns.  One of the reasons I've intentionally used a word that was jarring is that I give myself a ten second limit.  If I can't think of another word, another phrase, or an entirely different conversation to follow, I'll spit out the word for the sake of gameplay - but only if it is in character.  My last character would never have called you a wanker, no matter how hilarious and appropriate the word may have been.  They might have called you a cretin, though, in a pinch.  (Thank you, Bono, for the inspiration.)

Uh... I've also made an IC reference to clouds (sorry, guys), completely lost a train of conversation due to the word "goosebumps" (sorry, other guys), and had a think/feel that went along the lines of:

You think:
"Let's cast this and see what fish you catch."

You feel that you love making up fantastical creatures for the sake of metaphor.

We all fuck up sometimes.  Give a guy or gal a break if it happens.   :-[

Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?