How to react to magick in various cities

Started by Ammut, June 20, 2008, 06:05:53 PM

Hey all, it's been a while since I've had to deal with this since I'm usually a solo-RPer... so here's a question for ya:

Let's say I am out in the scrub, hunting/gathering or just traveling between two cities.  Less than a few rooms (or leagues, is that what I should call them IC?) away I see a magicker casting spells.  In what cities, if any would this be acceptable and how would the majority of mundanes respond to this?

I would imagine around Allanak, it would be reported that there is a rogue 'gicker out in the wastes. I'd imagine he'd be hunted down in quick order for not being gemmed.

I would imagine in Tuluk, he'd be hunted down for the mere fact that he's a mage.

Luirs and Red Storm, I'm not too sure.

June 20, 2008, 06:33:18 PM #2 Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 06:37:38 PM by amish overlord
Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 20, 2008, 06:19:57 PM
I would imagine around Allanak, it would be reported that there is a rogue 'gicker out in the wastes. I'd imagine he'd be hunted down in quick order for not being gemmed.

I would imagine in Tuluk, he'd be hunted down for the mere fact that he's a mage.

Luirs and Red Storm, I'm not too sure.

Allanak would depend if the mage is gemmed or not. If they are gemmed some people might panic or hunt them, ungemmed templars may not react. Of course you might assume if just outside allanak that they are gemmed. May not want to get close enough to check.

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

Quote from: Ammut on June 20, 2008, 06:05:53 PM
how would the majority of mundanes respond to this?

I'd say the majority of mundanes would not stick around long enough to find out more.

No matter where your character was raised, the prevailing view is almost always that magick is a dangerous, unpredictable thing capable of causing quite a bit of damage.

Sure, a templar might wanna know if the mage you saw casting was gemmed or not. But would your character have the balls to get close enough to take a peek at their neck?
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Absolute horror and outrage are probably the correct reactions. And running. Away. Fast.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Yeah. Fear.

You probably shouldn't go, "YARR! DIE MAGE!" and then type kill mage.

Quote from: Barzalene on June 20, 2008, 07:36:33 PM
Absolute horror and outrage are probably the correct reactions. And running. Away. Fast.

Oh, how I wish that were true.

How come no?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on June 20, 2008, 07:36:33 PM

One can dream.  :-\

June 20, 2008, 09:01:58 PM #9 Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 09:04:20 PM by Shoka Windrunner
Quote from: Barzalene on June 20, 2008, 08:22:32 PM
How come no?

Because this is how the PLAYERS thought process goes:

Oh...he just casted...he might be practicing...I bet he's low on mana.
He's a mage...he isn't combat oriented at all.
I know...I'll run in...subdue...if that fails...bash and draw weapons.
He won't have a chance.

ORRRRR....

Oh look...I'll go say hello.

When in truth...really...you should be running away waving your arms in the air screaming bloody murder.

But no one plays it like that.

Thus...one could wish.

EDIT:  Okay...some people play it that way...I'm sure by the time I'm editing this someone will be saying "BUT I ALWAYS RUN"...
But the fact that anyone...who isn't someone who HUNTS magickers for a living...would risk it.  Not even usually in a group.

The reason...is it's like the guy with a gun and six bullets.  And there are 10 people trying to get him.

Who wants to go in and get killed?  Yeah...he can't shoot you all...but you only have a 40% chance that he won't shoot at you.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

I promise to run away. Screaming. Ahhhhh!

The gun analogy's not quite accurate, since we, as earthlings, all know what guns do.

It's more akin to him having a giant glowing swirling black tentacle of energy that pulses red light.

I don't know what the fuck it does, but I sure as hell don't want to find out.

The problem is that a lot of players OOCly know or assume what mages ARE capable of, so rather than worrying "if I walk up to this magicker, will he make my genitals detonate as soon as I get within fifty cords of him?" they worry about "okay, does he have enough mana/is he branched enough to have Bigby's Crushing Hand?

Quote from: Only He Stands There on June 20, 2008, 09:55:03 PM
The gun analogy's not quite accurate, since we, as earthlings, all know what guns do.

It's more akin to him having a giant glowing swirling black tentacle of energy that pulses red light.

I don't know what the fuck it does, but I sure as hell don't want to find out.

The problem is that a lot of players OOCly know or assume what mages ARE capable of, so rather than worrying "if I walk up to this magicker, will he make my genitals detonate as soon as I get within fifty cords of him?" they worry about "okay, does he have enough mana/is he branched enough to have Bigby's Crushing Hand?

QFMFT.

Exactly...I think Magickers should never run out of mana...they just can't cast spells as powerfully.
Maybe i'm nuts.
But I also think you should be able to crawl when out of stamina.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Run screaming to the nearest PC templar, piss all over yourself, and beg him or her for the sweet Sun King's/Highlord's protection, all while crying that you're sorry you kicked your baby brother and you'll never do anything bad again.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Hey, my mages make a good living off the PCs who attack them because they think that mages are pushovers..

A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Hey, this is a perma-death MUD. Planning a personality of a character takes a day of mine. Improving that personality during the gameplay takes more and more days. Even if I used OOC information, I wouldn't risk it and say, "Hey, he's practising. Maybe now he has only 13/1468 mana. Let me try."

Also, even though being a newbie, with my mundane character I play so careful so that an agreessive NPC doesn't come nearby, I believe a mage with an experienced player behind would be much more careful and have always a card in his sleeve 'just in case'. And if I were the mage, the 'card' would be a battlefield control spell or a quick escape spell, not a spell of doom. He would stop the fight in a way and/or run away in some form after managing to cast a good glance into my character.

Later, when he's safe and you lost him and that means when he's the most prepared and you're the least prepared, he can harvest your organs.

It's weird that, in my opinion, using OOC information makes you stupider.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

I hate mundane magicker hunting PCs.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: Mood on June 21, 2008, 06:11:31 AM

That's okay, I hate mundane hunting magicker pcs.

Quote from: Furious George on June 21, 2008, 09:28:55 AM

Yeah, because it makes sense for a mundane who, according to the docs, should be absolutely terrified of magick to approach an unaggressive magicker, just because they think, OOC, that they can take 'em.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

I would think that, in the lesser settlements, a fella casting in an area actively patrolled by local law enforcement is worth mentioning to local law enforcement.

If your character is the sort who does mention stuff to local law enforcement.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Mood on June 21, 2008, 09:52:34 AM

Yeah, because it makes sense for a mundane who, according to the docs, should be absolutely terrified of magick to approach an unaggressive magicker, just because they think, OOC, that they can take 'em.

Which is absolutely NOT what I said.

Quote from: Furious George on June 21, 2008, 10:06:38 AM
Quote from: Mood on June 21, 2008, 09:52:34 AM

Which is absolutely NOT what I said.

I thought you were defending that. I apologize.

My thought on the topic:

Report it to the local law enforcement no matter what, as has been stated before.

I come across one in the sands I have two reactions:
OOC:  I shake my fist and bitch and moan that there's ANOTHER one.
IC:  I give them distance and try to remember whatever gear I might have seen, and then bitch and moan that there's another one.

June 21, 2008, 12:24:44 PM #23 Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 12:26:15 PM by Is Friday
What if you walk up to someone in the wastes and then get close enough to either see a gem or some cantrips/signs of magicking.

In my opinion, it would be fine to attack out of fear and just trying to drive this thing off, say if you were tired and couldn't run away, or whatever. There's a few reasons why someone would attack a magicker out in the wastes, in my opinion--but most of these are "I'm probably going to die but it's the only thing I can think of". Definitely avoided if possible or thought there's another way.

TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD DO.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I'm not trying to be mean with this reply, but well, that kind of thinking is rather silly IMO. Thats like saying it makes sense to attack somebody in templars robes or a mekillot in hopes of making it leave you alone. Sure, if you have simply no other choice. but in most cases you have other choices.

I cannot say what your PC -should- do. But I will say that your PC should really think it over. If your PC sees a gem on the guy and its in the wastes, your basicly looking at a hand grenade with the pin already pulled...are you sure you want to jiggle the hand holding it?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job