Ugh.... Being forced to take ooc typos in character. How would you deal with it?

Started by Qzzrbl, June 11, 2008, 06:21:33 PM

Alright.... So not too long ago, I made a little typo. I had 'k' aliased to 'kill', because that's just kinda what I'm accustomed to, and is what I used in every other mud I've ever played. Well, when attempting to look at someone, I accidentally hit 'k' and wound up attacking someone. I caught myself in time before even really hurting this person and disengaged, stating OOC that it was a typo and nothing more, and that it would be great if we could just ignore it because it's not something my character would do IC anyway.

WELL! Said statements of typo-ism were seemingly completely ignored, and I was practically forced to take it all IC, and now my character may wind up in ALOT of trouble because of this little typo that I quickly pointed out.

Now.... The above scenario may or may not be completely fictitious, but what I want to know is what would you do in this situation?

I meant moreso, how would you deal with everyone completely ignoring the obvious and blaring typo, and everyone essentially forcing you to play it off like it was something your character would do?

This brings to mind problems with the crim code. Since beginning in last August I've run into 5-6 situations in which the crim code has made people stop and talk about how to react to a situation with the OOC command--because the crim code often acts indepent of logic.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 11, 2008, 06:37:17 PM
I meant moreso, how would you deal with everyone completely ignoring the obvious and blaring typo, and everyone essentially forcing you to play it off like it was something your character would do?

You don't get to just retcon a code mistake because it was a mistake. The way YOU deal with this situation is just to deal with it. Just like if you accidentally run right up to bahamet and hit it? You're going to get to deal with that, too. So learn to roll.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on June 11, 2008, 06:40:17 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 11, 2008, 06:37:17 PM

You don't get to just retcon a code mistake because it was a mistake. The way YOU deal with this situation is just to deal with it. Just like if you accidentally run right up to bahamet and hit it? You're going to get to deal with that, too. So learn to roll.

True enough, but the bahamet is an npc, coded to fight back when attacked accident or otherwise. Another player is a whole different story, who can rationalize the "Agh! That was a typo, had 'k' aliased to 'kill'" in OOC flashing across the screen. Also said player should rationalize, "Ah, shit happens, it was a typo, no big deal.".

So between npcs and PC's, it's entirely different.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 11, 2008, 06:52:40 PM
So between npcs and PC's, it's entirely different.

No, you're wanting it to be different, and I'm saying it's not different. If you screw up and get killed by a bahamet, you don't get rezzed. If you screw up by attacking a PC and get killed by HG soldiers, you don't get rezzed. If you screw up by attacking a PC and you get social crap for doing so, you don't get a walk just because it was an error.

Mistakes are part of playing ARM, and you will learn from them and enjoy the outcome...if you roll with it.

Good lord... you aliased 'k' to 'kill'?  It's so disastrously close to 'L'.  Heck, I'll alias 'k' to 'nothing' just to avoid kissing random strangers.

But anyway, the situation is kinda tricky.  Some OOC mistakes can't be taken back, like the dreaded ">psi I'm going to kill you very slowly, you old fool!" when you meant to ">thinks I'm going to kill you very slowly, you old fool!"  It would be unfair to the receiving player to force them ignore that information in that case.

In your case, though, I personally would have agreed it didn't happen and rested off the damage.  No permanent harm done, no secret information revealed.

I'm not saying the other person was wrong to insist it be dealt with ICly, I'm just saying I wouldn't have done so.

Perhaps you should have wished up and let the staff decide.

Another possible thing to do would be like "Oh!  Sorry dude, I tripped!  Let me buy you a drink..." along with "ooc Ack!  Sorry, accidentally hit an alias!", and thus hopefully the other person will be more likely to have their character let it slide (but not necessarily).  A sort of compromise.

I've played a couple mulligans myself. I don't think there's any shame in that, in some situations.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Qzzrbl,

I'm not sure how I'd deal with that -- I admit I'd have trouble too.

It's not friendly when people won't cut a little slack for out of game mistakes -- it creates bad out of game vibes.  I wish people wouldn't do this.

you guys are idiots.

alias k to keyword. i bet you don't even know what that command does.

as Gimfalisette pointed out, nothing permanent was done, and no secrets revealed, it would have been very easy to just ignore it. So in this case, yes, it sounds like the fellas you were RPing w/ were just being pricks about it. [i know if they may not in fact be pricks if there is more to the story, don't come up here crying. i'm just working w/ the info i have.]

But once you see they're going to ignore your request to ignore,  i don't know what i'd do. You could ignore their ignoring of your request to ignore and pretend like it never happened. But they'll likely keep pretending like it did. Then you can either just let it go, escalate it to staff (which would be a silly waste of their time unless it was a serious character changing issue), or tell them to shove it up their ass and retire. It all depends on how serious the mistake was. Was this a templar you attacked? Or just another soldier? Perhaps the best solution, like someone else suggested, is not to ask for an "ignore" but to quickly provide your own explanation of the event, like tripping.

Any way you slice it though, further interactions with those PCs will be colored poorly by the event, and i'm glad it didn't happen to me.

Quote from: Agent_137 on June 11, 2008, 08:05:09 PM
you guys are idiots.

Uhmm... that's exactly what I had just said to do.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Rofl.

edit: GODDAMNIT WHY IS THE "B" SO CLOSE TO THE "ACKSTAB"!?!?!?!
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

when a request is made, you must respect that request and not alter it

in this age of the internets

for the love of the game

don't you bored to always play same game since years with his 'i aim the feet/bird i headshot?'

Quote from: Agent_137 on June 11, 2008, 08:05:09 PM
you guys are idiots.

as Gimfalisette pointed out, nothing permanent was done, and no secrets revealed, it would have been very easy to just ignore it. So in this case, yes, it sounds like the fellas you were RPing w/ were just being pricks about it. [i know if they may not in fact be pricks if there is more to the story, don't come up here crying. i'm just working w/ the info i have.]

But once you see they're going to ignore your request to ignore,  i don't know what i'd do. You could ignore their ignoring of your request to ignore and pretend like it never happened. But they'll likely keep pretending like it did. Then you can either just let it go, escalate it to staff (which would be a silly waste of their time unless it was a serious character changing issue), or tell them to shove it up their ass and retire. It all depends on how serious the mistake was. Was this a templar you attacked? Or just another soldier? Perhaps the best solution, like someone else suggested, is not to ask for an "ignore" but to quickly provide your own explanation of the event, like tripping.

Any way you slice it though, further interactions with those PCs will be colored poorly by the event, and i'm glad it didn't happen to me.

Maurader Moe was the one who said nothing permanent was done, etc..... Gimf was the one who said to just suck it up.

Yeah, Moe is nicer than I am, it was me who said to suck it up :D And although if I had been there, I probably would have let you redact, I still say you just need to suck it up and soldier on.

To give another, more optimistic perspective on why people might not have honored your request: You did something interesting and dramatic, dude. You created a situation for people to RP around. That is Good Roleplaying (tm). So maybe they went with it because it was more fun than pretending your dumbass mistake never happened.

Anyone who doesn't take an obvious mistake as an out of character mistake is a piece of shit and I would never, ever, ever willingly play anywhere near them again.

I would also send in a player complaint about such a situation.

Without being able to access my character list right at the moment, I'd guess that I have about 30ish mistakes I wish I could take back.

Shit happens, man.. my best piece of advice is to laugh it off and roll with the punches.

I guess in an ideal world you wouldn't have done something like alias k to kill, and then wouldn't have typed k man, and then wouldn't have had to break IC by explaining your mistake, and then the dude would've forgiven you out of the kindness of his bleeding heart... but..

I think expecting people to behave in a certain fashion after any chain of events is an even bigger mistake then 'kill man'. It's upsetting, but we've probably all lost characters to much more stupid things. Like.. getting super high and passing out, only to die of dehydration in the middle of the desert.

Quote from: Khorm on June 11, 2008, 09:51:59 PM
Like.. getting super high and passing out, only to die of dehydration in the middle of the desert.

Does doing this more than once make me a dumbass?
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: Yam on June 11, 2008, 09:28:24 PM
Anyone who doesn't take an obvious mistake as an out of character mistake is a piece of shit and I would never, ever, ever willingly play anywhere near them again.

I would also send in a player complaint about such a situation.

I agree with this.
Quote from: Mood on June 11, 2008, 11:16:12 PM
I also agree with this.

Speak for yourselves, amateurs!  :P
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

I have a bigger problem with kissking (k) someone when I am trying to look (l) at them.  not too good around strangers.

-FW
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.