Ugh.... Being forced to take ooc typos in character. How would you deal with it?

Started by Qzzrbl, June 11, 2008, 06:21:33 PM

Quote from: Agent_137 on June 12, 2008, 03:27:57 PM
Quote from: Mood on June 12, 2008, 01:12:50 PM
Quote from: Tisiphone on June 12, 2008, 10:51:22 AM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this, but what if they just plain didn't believe you?

Look at it from the other person's perspective. How likely is it you actually aliased k to kill? I mean, that's just plain stupid. It might easily have looked to them like you attacked them, chickened out, and tried to blame it on OOC crap, and that has happened before.

I think this is the most likely explanation.

If the target didn't die, and the attacker immediately fled and said OOCly that it was a mistake, why would the target not believe the attacker? What would he be trying to achieve by attacking and fleeing? There's no motive.

Say they don't know each other?  And attacking someone out of nowhere?  That means your a maniac.  Maybe he's a maniac.  And like I said, I would not believe someone who does this and says oh I hit k instead of l.  Because K is kiss.  My opinion.  Suck it up.  Or file a player complaint.  It's perfectly in your right to do so.  Let the Imm's handle it.  If they think it went to far because of your typo, they will email or talk to those players.

People mess up in game all the time.  And who says he died?  Evidently he wasn't in a populated area with guards.  Or the CODE would have killed him.  It's silly to say otherwise.  I'd say if his character -is- still alive.  He got off lucky.  That's the trade off of doing aliases like that in my book.  Sure you can type kill gith faster...that if I type it out...but well...if you typo...that's you.  Personally I just deal with the mess ups.  And I type the commands out.  That way if I mess up...I mess up.

I've had a warrior who tried to cast a spell because I had an alias I accidentally typed.  I explained it off...and everything was fine.

EDIT: And I mean I explained it IC.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on June 12, 2008, 04:28:50 PM
Quote from: Agent_137 on June 12, 2008, 03:27:57 PM
Quote from: Mood on June 12, 2008, 01:12:50 PM
Quote from: Tisiphone on June 12, 2008, 10:51:22 AM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this, but what if they just plain didn't believe you?

Look at it from the other person's perspective. How likely is it you actually aliased k to kill? I mean, that's just plain stupid. It might easily have looked to them like you attacked them, chickened out, and tried to blame it on OOC crap, and that has happened before.

I think this is the most likely explanation.

If the target didn't die, and the attacker immediately fled and said OOCly that it was a mistake, why would the target not believe the attacker? What would he be trying to achieve by attacking and fleeing? There's no motive.

Say they don't know each other?  And attacking someone out of nowhere?  That means your a maniac.  Maybe he's a maniac.  And like I said, I would not believe someone who does this and says oh I hit k instead of l.  Because K is kiss.  My opinion.  Suck it up.  Or file a player complaint.  It's perfectly in your right to do so.  Let the Imm's handle it.  If they think it went to far because of your typo, they will email or talk to those players.

People mess up in game all the time.  And who says he died?  Evidently he wasn't in a populated area with guards.  Or the CODE would have killed him.  It's silly to say otherwise.  I'd say if his character -is- still alive.  He got off lucky.  That's the trade off of doing aliases like that in my book.  Sure you can type kill gith faster...that if I type it out...but well...if you typo...that's you.  Personally I just deal with the mess ups.  And I type the commands out.  That way if I mess up...I mess up.

I've had a warrior who tried to cast a spell because I had an alias I accidentally typed.  I explained it off...and everything was fine.

EDIT: And I mean I explained it IC.

lol That is like saying that I could walk up right now and and start shooting at you point blank "on accident."  I could not unintentionally just walk up to you and start hitting you and over and over and over again, shouting FLEE FLEE.  IG the code makes this possible.  It makes it possible for someone to unintentionally cause coded damage due to input by a keyboard.

This is a game.  Yes, it is perfeclyt feasably in a game to make an out of character mistake.  An out of character mistake should have nothing to do with IC reprecussions.

If a character accidentially unarmed hits someone doing so completely out of character, disengages and comes back and says whoa so sorry.  That is a typo and has nothing to do with any kind of role play.  If you choose to take an OOC type and turn it into an IC reprecussion because you just want to.  That's lame.

Yes, if you make an IC blunder like fucking someone over or pissing someone off or role playing attacking someone role play accordingly.  But your character has nothing to do with things that are not role played, like a typo on a keyboard.  You should not enact IC consequences over an OOC error.  Leave IC consequences for IC errors.  Just because something happens codedly doesn't mean that all OOC understanding should be lost on the situation because it can be.

People like to compare Arm to a book.  Its a book without editing.  IMO if it happens in game, unless it is an obvious bug, or there is some sort of immortal intervention, or you are interacting with an immortal, it happened.

Maybe I'm just jaded because I've played Gamma DIKU for about 15 years.  But k doesn't do kill anymore for a reason.  The Imms changed it to avoid these situations, specifically.  If you bypass this safety feature, you are, IMHO, agreeing to what happens to you in the game because of it.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Tough call.

I've seen and made several ooc mistakes before. Some people roll with them, others make clear their mistakes. Either way is cool. I say, when in doubt, give the benefit of the doubt to the other player.

Some ooc mistakes like psiing or talking instead of thinking I'll role with. But something that has no ic explanation I'd ooc Sorry. I would say ooc this is an ooc occurrance. Please disregard.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on June 12, 2008, 06:58:25 PM
Some ooc mistakes like psiing or talking instead of thinking I'll role with. But something that has no ic explanation I'd ooc Sorry. I would say ooc this is an ooc occurrance. Please disregard.

I'd agree with you.  With if he had kissed whoever he was talking to.

Or pissed instead of whatever.

But if you attack someone...the problem with that...is you don't know someone's IC explanation for it.  Or their OOC explanation for it.  So you can either assume they are not really trying to kill you...or you can sit there and wonder if they were, but they forgot to draw their weapons.

So...there you go.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

I felt bad for the OP and was ready to side with him until I read that he aliased K to 'Kill', I mean.. COME ON.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

As a newb, I accidentally backstabbed my Sergeant's inix while attempting to backstab a yompar lizard.

If I had been forced to deal with the IC consequences of attempting to shank my boss's mount in the middle of a mission, I probably would've told everyone involved to go fuck themselves, and I probably wouldn't still be playing this game.

If someone goes OOC and claims that something was a typo (e.g. k instead of l), a misdirect (e.g. wrong hooded figure), or a temporary lapse in judgment (e.g. "Whoops, this character doesn't really know the difference between an Al'Seik and a Jul Tavan."), I always give them the benefit of the doubt.

I expect the same in return.  If someone were to insist upon pursuing a storyline initiated by such a mistake, I would be sorely, sorely tempted to come up with an equally implausible IC justification for stabbing them in the face.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I think most players should/will be reasonable about this and won't expect someone to roleplay something unrealistically.

If a player makes a COMMAND typo that affects the game and acknowledges it and corrects it (let's say they hit someone, stole something), then they should be given the benefit of the doubt.  If you have a problem with this, wish up with specific details--and if no response within the matter of time detailed by "help wish," use the request tool and file a player complaint.  We'll look at it, and it's usually more obvious to staff members what actually went on.

If a player makes an emoted/spoken typo and it looks obvious, give the player the benefit of the doubt, even if they don't notice they wrote something wrong.  Anyone getting uppity over "emote pees into your eyes deeply" should chill unless the emote was preceded by pants removal or followed by an offer to clean your character's face for a few 'sid.

If a player ends up killing another player's character over a typo, resurrection requests will not be granted. 
You will have to deal with THIS particular breed of OOC mistake IC, unfortunately.

Quote from: Helpfile on death
When characters die in Armageddon MUD, there is no resurrection. Only if at least two senior staff members agree that the death occurred directly as the result of some major bug, or other exceptional circumstances, can the character be resurrected. Deaths caused by link-loss, lag, typos, the callousness of other players, and rampant stupidity do NOT fall into the category of exceptional circumstances.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Not to contradict Nyr, but don't worry, I do believe resurrections can be requested in situations where players do things like accidentally invoke the crim code and get someone stomped by a horde of half giant soldiers (which is sort of just another kind of typo).
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Indeed--I had forgotten about crimcode deaths like that. 

EDIT:  It really, really, really depends on exceptional circumstances, as defined in the helpfile. 
I can't go over every scenario and why it probably would or would not be granted (both because I am not a senior staffer that would weigh in and because I do not have the time).
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Rahnevyn on June 13, 2008, 02:54:05 PM
Not to contradict Nyr, but don't worry, I do believe resurrections can be requested in situations where players do things like accidentally invoke the crim code and get someone stomped by a horde of half giant soldiers (which is sort of just another kind of typo).

Is this a change in policy? Because...I've wished up for just that reason specifically, and the res request was denied.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on June 13, 2008, 03:03:53 PM

Is this a change in policy? Because...I've wished up for just that reason specifically, and the res request was denied.
The policy hasn't changed - it depends on circumstances. It takes an Overlord and an HL together to approve a resurrection, so as an ST I don't feel comfortable stating policy on it; all I wanted to clarify with my post was that you can request one in such situations and we'll look at it. I didn't want anyone to get discouraged or scared of losing their PC to a totally unintentional or OOC death.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Hmm. Okay.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on June 13, 2008, 09:49:17 AM
Quote from: Barzalene on June 12, 2008, 06:58:25 PM

I'd agree with you.  With if he had kissed whoever he was talking to.

Or pissed instead of whatever.

But if you attack someone...the problem with that...is you don't know someone's IC explanation for it.  Or their OOC explanation for it.  So you can either assume they are not really trying to kill you...or you can sit there and wonder if they were, but they forgot to draw their weapons.

So...there you go.

Which is why it was cleared up in the OOC Channel with something along the lines of, "wtf omg bbqkitten, that was a typo, had 'k' aliased to 'kill' like an idiot and missed the 'l' a little.".

So.... Their character has no IC explanation for it, because it simply wasn't meant to happen. So since it's an accident, I wouldn't imagine you'd need an IC explanation for it. And their OOC explanation was right there. A mistake. If you really need any more explanation for it than that then just.... Jeeze.

My own personal feelings if you accidently attacked me, then said OOC "you didn't mean to do that." Then I would agree with you. I am not an NPC. The "Code" is not logical. I am. I am a human. Humans Make Errors. I'm not going to hold you accountable when you wanted to kiss me in the dark room, but you accidently killed me.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Considering I've lost a character to another player's typo I don't have much sympathy for someone incurring harm through their own typo.  ;)

Quote from: Zalanthan on June 17, 2008, 03:29:09 PM
Considering I've lost a character to another player's typo I don't have much sympathy for someone incurring harm through their own typo.  ;)

Marked for termination. Expect response squad within 1-3 business days.

Ah, the ol' "typo" issue, how I love thee.  In the three or so years I've played here, I've never had anyone NOT accept an OOC "Sorry, mis-target." on emotes, followed by a quick correction.  Perhaps "kill", having hard-coded consequences, is more difficult to deal with?  Your hypothetical, Q., would be one of those situations where I really wouldn't know what to do, and would look to other (presumably senior) players for guidance if they happened to be there.
     My instinct is to say OOC mistakes are an OOC event, and ergo shouldn't be part of our shared IC reality.  However, after a situation eerily reminiscent of this:

Quote from: Rahnevyn on June 13, 2008, 03:10:43 PM
Quote from: Tisiphone on June 13, 2008, 03:03:53 PM

The policy hasn't changed - it depends on circumstances. It takes an Overlord and an HL together to approve a resurrection, so as an ST I don't feel comfortable stating policy on it; all I wanted to clarify with my post was that you can request one in such situations and we'll look at it. I didn't want anyone to get discouraged or scared of losing their PC to a totally unintentional or OOC death.

- I'm now torn.  It was explained to me that the event would stand, just as if I had typed "hit kank" instead of "hitc kank".  I came up with an IC justification for the unfortunate event (schizophrenic episode) and reluctantly moved on.
     I know this post doesn't provide an answer, because I don't have a good one.  In fact, I don't know that there -is- a blanket answer.  I'm a big believer in building up trust with other players, so that you and them can emote out all those cool scenes that are pretty much impossible if all that's going on is 'flee;flee;flee' or the like.  I guess a case-by-case evaluation is the best I can come up with.
     In any event, I hope it works out for ya!   :)
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote from: Nyr on June 13, 2008, 02:46:25 PM
"emote pees into your eyes deeply"

Oh Krath. I can't stop laughing. I want to see this happen IG.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I'm guilty of accidentally punching an NPC. Got beat up for it.

But hey! Do what I did and make a cover-up story, an excuse. Go with it. That's how I solved it. Now my PC is known as the girl who accidentally falls into people fist-first.

I just figure those kind of typos are just things we all have to deal with. I'm not the first to say it.
Theives may blend within the black, / Yet don't fear, for fear they lack. / No no, son, there's more to hide from, / Among the cracks where fear resides, son.

Depends on the nature of the Typo..

A command typo like kill, simply roll with it. If you can ICly convince whatever you hit by accident that you weren't trying to kill them, lucky you.

If it is something like spoiling a command emote or mispelling a name, I just ignore it and play on.

Even sitting at the wrong table is usually okay if you are quick about getting back up.. _I_ have a small 'notice timer' on things that my character is not actively looking for.

If it's a command typo like kill and you hit someone that you would never hit, for no reason, why are you rolling with it?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I've got it!

'kiss' could be changed to 'kitten' so if you did 'k' or 'ki' by mistake, you could simply get a message only for you along the lines of 'thinking of kitten again?'

It would be very funny, and would prevent odd situations by typoing k instead of l.

On the other hand people could simply learn to type.  I've yet to ever type 'k <thing>' instead of 'l <thing>' in my sevenish years of playing MUDs.

As for the OP.  If you stopped -really- quickly I'd personally take it as a mistake, and get on with life.  It sucks that the person forced it to IC, and you could easily get a staff involved and point to the lack of IC reason or background support for the action.  Of course I really like the whole 'I tripped and hit you by mistake' IC option.

And as for the OP's -actual- question, I hate it when OOC things get translated to IC things.  Likely the most common one that affects me is logging off.  I hate having to come up with some IC reason to log off when in the middle of something big (Like a clan hunt or some such).  This really sucks if your in a military type clan (like Byn) and they ICly treat it as you being lazy or slacking or some such because you have a life OOC.
Food for thought:
Every time someone uses the phrase 'food for thought' a penguin turns to cannibalism (two if used in a pun about actual food)

Quote from: Karo on July 05, 2008, 03:09:56 AM
And as for the OP's -actual- question, I hate it when OOC things get translated to IC things.  Likely the most common one that affects me is logging off.  I hate having to come up with some IC reason to log off when in the middle of something big (Like a clan hunt or some such).  This really sucks if your in a military type clan (like Byn) and they ICly treat it as you being lazy or slacking or some such because you have a life OOC.

Underline mine.

The underlined part should never happen. I would treat it as valid reason to complain to staff; it has been stated NUMEROUS times that people should not be penalized for logging off unless obviously doing it for IG benefits, and even that's hazy.