Re: Reminder about what your character knows and feels

Started by Coat of Arms, September 27, 2007, 01:09:12 AM

The "End of the World" excuse is almost a year and a half old now, it's getting a bit.. Well, old. Please tell me the new game is happening soon.

Why are you giving up your karma? I don't understand, all the names in that list, you are amazing roleplayers, well, except for that one guy, but why are you doing this? You guys are not part of the problem, what is it going to change? You're the ones who should be allowed to play them and the ones that don't want to give it up are usually the ones abusing it.

I have a feeling that this might actually make things worse, you are freeing up magickers slots and giving them up to those who we probably don't want as magickers.

But I have been gone for a week and I don't know what's going on you guys.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Malken wrote:
QuoteYou're the ones who should be allowed to play them and the ones that don't want to give it up are usually the ones abusing it.
This kind of thinking upsets me. You can only play a good magicker if you don't enjoy playing magickers? What?
Magicker does not equal powergamer. Preferring to play magickers does not make you a bad roleplayer.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Don't be upset. I said "Usually". And those in the list are some I'd rather see play magickers more than others. It doesn't mean that the rest of the players play magickers poorly, or that you play one poorly, I don't know you, but I still stand by what I said.

I also just read Halaster's idea and at this point in the game I just don't think it's possible anymore to get rid of most of the magickers in an IC way.

I think that some of the most powerful ones are too important to end of the world plots at this point.

QuoteI think that some of the most powerful ones are too important to end of the world plots at this point.

I'd like to mention that the End of the World plots are many and varied. There is no one plot, no predetermined ending and winner. We're waiting to see how some things play out just as much as the playerbase is.

No one person, group or storyline that you or may not see in game is the focus of all the attention. This isn't a book, it's a roleplaying game. As such those who are playing roles and shaping actions and stories are influencing the direction.

We're putting things out there and seeing who picks what up and runs with it. We're watching what you all are running with and thinking about how that might influence something else. We've got a ton of ideas that we think might work, and know there's a ton of other things we haven't even considered, we're just waiting for you to show it to us.

My statement above is said with Authority. It is not my own opinion, but a statement coming from the Immortal in charge of co-ordinating the End of the Known Ages.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Quote from: "spawnloser"

My character isn't the problem.  It's the characters that don't get freaked out EVERY time they see a magicker.  Just because you've seen a dozen 'Really Scary Things' (tm) doesn't mean that they should stop being scary.

Again I say, don't be the kank-riding elf.

How about seeing four hundred really scary things?
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: "Malken"You're the ones who should be allowed to play them and the ones that don't want to give it up are usually the ones abusing it.

I'm not planning to give my karma. I am considering to play a magicker if my current char dies. I don't think that makes me one "abusing it". I feel upset, because now it feels like "if you don't give up and play a mundane -right now-, you are a bad person, powergamer, twinker and you don't care about the game enough". This approach really makes me sad.

Quote from: "Elgiva"
Quote from: "Malken"You're the ones who should be allowed to play them and the ones that don't want to give it up are usually the ones abusing it.

I'm not planning to give my karma. I am considering to play a magicker if my current char dies. I don't think that makes me one "abusing it". I feel upset, because now it feels like "if you don't give up and play a mundane -right now-, you are a bad person, powergamer, twinker and you don't care about the game enough". This approach really makes me sad.

No. That is not the message we are getting across.

By making a stand, and actually taking action and playing mundanes, I hope to return to the old Arm I used to love, and kill all of you magick casting fucks IG because you're rotten demons and abominations.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Who was it that had the "Be the change you want to see in Zalanthas" signature?

All I have to say is: Right on.

By the way I did not store my PC.

HAHAHAHA!  I am a cheater.

EDIT:  Gimf the Data bank did not see Rindan giving up his karma?
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Raesanos"Who was it that had the "Be the change you want to see in Zalanthas" signature?

Whoever did it bastardized the Kantian categorical imperative. Yar.

Quote from: "Rindan"
Some delusional staffer gave me a enough karma for all sorts of whacky magikal shit that I have no intention of playing. Some how, I feel that adding ANOTHER fucking secret mind bending noble aid to this world really just wont make me happy.  I don't need that crap.  I want low fantasy Armageddon with thieves, thugs, mercenaries, and thuggish thieving mercenaries.  You can merrily take my karma and add it to the magikal shit can.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: "Raesanos"Who was it that had the "Be the change you want to see in Zalanthas" signature?

That was me who ripped off Gandhi.  :)  Maybe it's time to bring it back.

edit to add: My current sig is pretty fitting too, though.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Much easier to do when you're not swimming against the current.

The Staff is the wind and I'm the sail. Let's work together, yes?

And by that I mean "Thank you for dealing with the special apps problem." That's a really great step.

Quote from: "LoD"When the exception to the rule becomes the norm, then perceptions change.  The relationship you describe is a two-way door.  The obligation does not rest solely with the mundane players to react to your character with fear, suspicion, and hatred.  The obligation is mutual, and as long as the players of magickal characters don't take the responsibility to curb their own numbers, proliferation in the game, and visibility amidst the mundane, they are only perpetuating the problem.

The mundane players could as easily request that you be more "rare and mysterious".  Seems easy, but I'm guessing you'll find it just as difficult to uphold your part of the bargain as mundane players are finding it to uphold theirs because both of you are at the mercy of what many consider a current problem with the game.
How is the play of mundane characters the responsibility of ANYONE but the players of those characters?  You may as well say that because Player A was twinking that Player B should lose karma.

Also, it's everyone's responsibility to play fewer mages?  This is a game.  People should play what they enjoy playing.

And Rindan, you can stop being scared.  That's fine.  That doesn't mean that your character should stop being scared.  That's why this is a roleplaying game, because we're playing characters and not ourselves.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Ghost"By the way I did not store my PC.

HAHAHAHA!  I am a cheater.

EDIT:  Gimf the Data bank did not see Rindan giving up his karma?

Kill him!

Quote from: "Elgiva"

Rock on Elgiva. Rock on.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "spawnloser"How is the play of mundane characters the responsibility of ANYONE but the players of those characters?  You may as well say that because Player A was twinking that Player B should lose karma.

Also, it's everyone's responsibility to play fewer mages?  This is a game.  People should play what they enjoy playing.

If you don't understand, I know that I won't be able to help you.  And, yes, it's just as much your responsibility to keep close to the documentation as a magicker as it is of the mundane players.  You want mundane players to RP fear, hatred, and suspicion, but you don't want to be held accountable for actions that may deviate from the documentation describing magickers as rare and mysterious -- which includes making one when you know full well there is a perceived saturation in the present gameworld.

Yes, this is a game. And games are the most fun when the teams are balanced.  And that doesn't mean equal, it means balanced to provide a challenging and rewarding atmosphere for as many people as possible that choose to play.  You don't stack one team with all the good people and steamroll the rest all day.  That isn't going to be "fun" for anyone.  And when that team getting steamrolled starts to ignore some of the regular rules because they simply want to have a chance, you cannot begin quoting the rulebook when you are directly contributing to the problem.

-LoD

You can have my karma when you pry it from my cold, undead magicker fingers you "Let's unite for a better world", sick and twisted FREAKS!!!

If you haven't figured it out by now, this game is about -me-!  ME!!!

Oh, and um...Halaster.  It's about him too.   :twisted:

Hehehehehe!
Sorry.  You know I love ya'll  I just had to say something to lighten the mood around here.  Or....was it to stir up trouble?  You know..I ALWAYS get those two confoozled.  *ponder*

If and when my current EEEVUL ONE dies, yeah, sure.  I won't be playing another disgusting, vile, wicked, power mad mage running around, freaking everybody out, making elves ride kanks and humans sleep with halflings with my insanely soooper 'leeeeet p0wrZ.

I just want to add that I think too much emphasis is being placed on 'magick' vs 'mundane' by players.  My main gripe with the game is people are just too damned fluffy bunny nice to each other in the world.  And yeah, I've seen alot of cool exceptions to that.  But honestly I think it is way out of control, generally speaking.

Although....I did get a hint of some good 'ole fashioned fear and loathing recently in game.  That was pretty damned sweet.  Thanks and kudos to all ya'll that were in on that.
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

i'll play your sex slave, naatok.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "LoD"If you don't understand, I know that I won't be able to help you.  And, yes, it's just as much your responsibility to keep close to the documentation as a magicker as it is of the mundane players.  You want mundane players to RP fear, hatred, and suspicion, but you don't want to be held accountable for actions that may deviate from the documentation describing magickers as rare and mysterious -- which includes making one when you know full well there is a perceived saturation in the present gameworld.

Yes, this is a game. And games are the most fun when the teams are balanced.  And that doesn't mean equal, it means balanced to provide a challenging and rewarding atmosphere for as many people as possible that choose to play.  You don't stack one team with all the good people and steamroll the rest all day.  That isn't going to be "fun" for anyone.  And when that team getting steamrolled starts to ignore some of the regular rules because they simply want to have a chance, you cannot begin quoting the rulebook when you are directly contributing to the problem.
...but the problem is that you seem to be arguing that people should play fewer magickers.  How is this irresponsible?

I'm not arguing that people should do whatever they want as magickers... but the code makes it hard to play a magicker that can inspire too much fear early on.  They simply aren't dangerous.  So early on, they tend towards cooperation and being sneaky, not scary.  The code encourages this sort of play.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

If anything, the code encourages magickers to powergame their spells.

Because they have visible levels that dictate how strong they are - they have a goal to archive in regards to stats.

Image if Magickers didn't know how strong they could cast at...

That a newbie magicker could cast a mon fireball, but it would tax them so strongly!

That you can cast at any power level.  As you get better at the skill, you could cast at stronger and stronger power levels -depending on the loss of mana.

But you would never know by typing 'skills' how 'adept' you are at the skill...
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "mansa"But you would never know by typing 'skills' how 'adept' you are at the skill...

You mean... make their skills like the skills of any mundane class?  Psh.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

mansa stole my idea
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

Cept that power level has nothing to do with skill in the spell. The spell skill does not show, same as any mundane class.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job