Re: Reminder about what your character knows and feels

Started by Coat of Arms, September 27, 2007, 01:09:12 AM

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"
Quote from: "Krath"Then what is the problem?  Why is it that if there is an RPT mundanes have to sit at the
sidelines while the x-men magickers of death kill everything at a distance, or before a
mundane can do anything. Why not just make all rpts Magicker only with NPC soldiers?
That is the direction I think the game is going right now. But if nothing is going to be done, then
why bother?

Quit your goddamn bitching and just play the game. Your sarcastic remarks will not win the staff over regarding your point of view. Maybe those magicker plots were created by the players? Did you ever stop the think that? Maybe the current population of mundane players lack the drive and personal ambition to *gasp* start something on their own, and the magicky players who are starting something on their on are, as a result, are getting support from staff members because they're *gasp* contributing to the game world with *gasp* ideas. What, you think staff create every single plot currently in the game? I think not. There are mundane plots in this game. Find them. I'm on a quest currently to create a traveling troupe of bards. I'm going to create a Zalanthan ROCK BAND. What are you doing to curb the amount of players in the game? Are you actually creating a character to support your beliefs and subsequently help this community grow, or are you just bitching for the sake of it? I abhore the statement "be the change you want to see," but enough is enough people It's time to grow the hell up.

Complaining will get us no where, so instead of this bickering lets all play mundanes and create mundane plots.

I am and have been, that is why I gave up my karma and do not care if I get it back. I play
nothing but mundanes. You can count on one hand how many non-mundanes I
have played in my near decade here. The group of players I am playing with will tell you I
stand by every word I type and do try to provide that kind of harsh, grittiness that the game
should have by word of the documentation.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

You can have my karma too. I won't miss it.

I'm having too much fun playing the non-karma required options.

You've been stripped, Delirium.

"Let me see you
Stripped.
Let me see you
Make decisions
Without your
Televisions
Let me see you
Speaking just
for me."
-Depeche Mode/Rammstein
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

No idea if I have karma or how much, might be a point in there somewhere, but mundanes ftw. Have at it!
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

Someone has stored their magicker because of this thread.  (I can't say who, but they're welcome to if they want.)

See, grassroots campaigns really can make a difference.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

That was me, as I previously stated I would.

Mundane all the way baby.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Reiloth, you are my hero. You totally rock. I hope we get to play together again someday like we did way back.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Take whatever meager 'gicker karma I may have, too.

It should be said there are places to play in game where the documents state that magick must be hated, feared, and disliked, and is therefore extremely rare.  Go play there.  There seems to be a rich plot going on that has absolutely nothing to do with magick.  If you want incanters out of your hair, go to where other people will keep 'em off of you.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"I guess I'm just chiming in with the "be the change you want to see" thing. That's really what it's all about. Play mundanes, run mundane plots, ask the imms to help you run mundane plots.

Combined with the magicker community not treating each other like one big happy family (the exceptions know who they are) without any developmental RP to build the relationship, or history that explains it. The other day I saw two mages meet for the first time and literally five minutes later one asked the other "I can has magick itemz lol!1!!1" Now that's not verbatim, but come on. If one of them had been a Nilaz I'd have paid Krath's player to fly to each of their RL homes in turn and slap them in a triangle choke.  :lol:
Amor Fati

Take my point(s) of 'gicker karma, too. Account name is EDITED BY STAFF.

When I started playing nine years ago, I can say, without a hitch, it was about five or six years until I saw any magick. In fact, I don't remember seeing any, even with gemmed, until my first magicker, about two years ago.

As far as hearing about it goes, that was almost equally unlikely.

Now, I can't go out without hearing about it. I'm done.

You're welcome to my karma. I want to see a low fantasy world again, where magick inspires terror and psionicists are hunted to their sorry end if they ever let on.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Ourla, Aruna, and WWYD done.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Quote from: "Shalooonsh"The simple and pure fact of the matter is this:

There are so many mages in the world right now because, right now, people are choosing to play mages.

While I agree with the majority of your post, I'd like to point out something here. I honestly think that a lot of people are choosing to play mages these days because playing a mage in certain groups tends to mean:

a) More plots available.
b) More acess to staff and PC resources to further your own plot ideas.
c) Far more end of the world action.
d) Far more fancy glittery things like code snippets, magick trinkets, etc.

While those aren't enough to make me want to store my character and roll up a mage just so I can feel unique and looked-after by admins, it does sometimes feel like the only way to get 100% truly mundane plots going on in mundane clans is to create them yourself, run them yourself, and hash it out with your respective clan imms.

Which is fine for me, I don't mind it, but I could see why a lot of players simply wouldn't want to put forth the effort of starting mundane stuff when so many of the game's most interesting and convoluted plots are all magick-centric.

Edit: Just to clarify, this wasn't a slam at Shal or any other admins, I'm just trying to point out that I believe "people choosing to play mages" is mostly due to the fact that the large amounts of mage PCs and the admin-driven plots they're involved in make mages FAR more attractive and interesting to play to someone that's bored to tears with their current role.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Take my magicker karma/options as well.

Also, the Soh Lanah Kah are a desert elf tribe that's fairly known for their hate of magickers and accept none into the tribe. ..If anyone needs a new mundane role to try.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Quote from: "Hot_Dancer"Take my magicker karma/options as well.

Also, the Soh Lanah Kah are a desert elf tribe that's fairly known for their hate of magickers and accept none into the tribe. ..If anyone needs a new mundane role to try.

Edited for IC info. But basically, yes, i wish there comes a day where SLK truly do hate magickers again. I think they are afraid to, because of the sheer volume of magickers in other tribes.

Also, everyone dropping magicker karma is frigging awesome. i wanna buy you all drinks for making efforts to save this game, no matter what people say about it not helping. It is helping. It is a small step in the right direction, damnit.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

While I don't have anything else to add to the thread, I want to say how proud I am that the playerbase is standing together to improve the game. Kudos all around, boys and girls.

-WP glows inside.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Ooo! Does this mean there'll be non half-elves for me to talk to in Tuluk?

SQUEE.
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

I think I started playing about 7 years ago. Magick was far, far rarer back then it seems to me. Psionicists were virtually unheard of. I played for two years straight in the Guild and we had 3 magickers in the clan during that whole period (none of which rose to any position of rank or gained much trust). Now I don't recognise the game anymore sometimes and it frustrates me. I know that things evolve and change over time but I think we're losing some of the things that made Arm great. I also know I'm part of the problem right now and I'm thinking about changing that shortly but I'll start with cashing in my 8 karma. If it's a step towards getting that kind've world back where magick was rare and feared then it's a step in the right direction.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

Boggis - you're awesome.
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Adding my mage options to the pot.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: "bardess"And when they are walking around asking about two-handed swords (to steal and example from someone else)

I had that copyrighted by the way....  :?  

But yeah, I completely agree with all this. If I even had enough karma points to get me a magicker, I'd give 'em up.

I am hopeful that this thread will spark some IC solutions to this problem.  As a player who has always and will always play mundanes I think it would be wonderful if these IC-solutions were so effective they eradicated magick entirely so it didn't even exist in 2.Arm (but I know this isn't likely).

Regardless, let the bouny hunters,  vigilantes, antimagick posses and angry mobs fix this problem (instead of/in addition to) the Staff.  Long live the Great Witchhunt!

I for one don't want to see magick gone. I want it to be the stuff of mystery, rumor and legend. The sort of thing where, a year later, the story you're telling at the APM is how you -met- one and he took over your lover's body to lengthen his life span and then killed you and danced you about like a puppet for his enjoyment.

And then I want to hear you say that that's the last you've heard of ANY magicker since.

And leave us wondering.