Character Generation Tips

Started by LoD, June 22, 2006, 06:13:16 PM

Quote from: Is Friday on October 25, 2008, 10:07:35 PM
http://web.archive.org/web/20011208073914/http://www.ci-n.com/~darklyn/armageddon/char.html

Thank you! The link on the Arm site wouldn't take me there for some reason.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

I had the same problem. I fished around on the site and found it again.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

November 12, 2008, 01:38:38 AM #27 Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 01:40:09 AM by SMuz
I'm still new at this game, but I'm a good writer, so here's my two 'sids.

First, just close your eyes and imagine what your character will be like. Let your brain randomly generate a bunch of people until you stop upon someone you find interesting. There. That's your short-description. It's what people should see first. If your character is huge, go ahead write huge. Don't bother so much about fingers or eyes, unless they're really noticeable. It's weird to refer to someone as "the lady with the green eyes", so avoid such things, if possible.

And don't use complicated words - that makes your character a lot harder to imagine. I could easily recall say, "the obese, tall man", over "the elephantine, sizable humanoid". Remember, this'll be your char's first impressions for the rest of his life, so make it good. Complicated words work well for sophisticated Zalanthans, but not for most people.

For long descriptions, LoD says toe to head, but I read head to toe. Whichever your choice, what I do is I focus more on whatever makes your char special.

Say, you're making a typical, huge, muscular warrior. What I'd suggest is that you write 2 sentences about how frigging big he is (long legs, big chest, 5 cords tall, etc) and another 2 sentences about how frigging big his muscles are (thick hands, veins on his biceps, big.. thighs). Then describe the face in just one long sentence. A lot of professional writers tend to miss this out and describe things that don't have to be described.

Also, if you really get going, it's easier to overdo it than underdo. Remember that writing an ultra-long description is not always a good thing. Example:
"He has a thumb-sized greenish-yellow wart on his left hand, behind his knuckles, which oozes a yellow pus-like liquid" <-- Overdone
"He has a large wart on his left hand" <-- Better

Unless the wart has some special kind of significance, you don't want people to be staring at it. This also applies to hair, eyes, scars, etc. If your character is going to be average-looking, then focus more on the facial features instead of the body, perhaps giving the upper body a single sentence and lower body another sentence.

Just remember, descriptions shouldn't show off your great English, they should describe your character to other people the way you want people to see him/her. My character's sdesc is only 3 words long and his mdesc is about 4-6 sentences long, but people often refer to him exactly the way I want them to - which is what I wanted all along.

If you really must show off your English, that's what emoting is for ;)
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on November 12, 2008, 01:38:38 AM
For long descriptions, LoD says toe to head, but I read head to toe. Whichever your choice, what I do is I focus more on whatever makes your char special.

For the most part I agree, but other ways I've done things are detailed to general, and general to detail.

Lets say that the sdesc is The wart-nosed, sunburnt man.

You could start by focusing on the large wart on his nose, since when someone looks at him this is what they focus on, and how it is the size of a testicle and has some wiry hair growing from it. Then you can add how his eyes are blue, his hair is brown and his jaw is square because once someone gets over just how ugly and noticable the wart on his nose is they start seeing things nearby on his face. Then move on to general things like his physique and how his skin is crimson and sunburnt. Thats detailed to general, starting with the thing everyone notices first.

General to detailed is the other way around. Start with things that are everywhere, like the colour of his skin and his physical size, then slowly go more detailed - the size of his muscles, the length of his limbs, then shape of his face, and end up describing the ugly wart on his nose that draws everyones attention. This way leaves the reader with the ost noticable feature of the description freshest in mind.

The best advice though, is to try out different styles of writing and find out what works best for you.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Oh yeah, also - Try to mention everything that a person would wonder about your looks. Mainly hair color, hair length, height, fatness (skinny, fat, athletic), eye color, face, obvious injuries (scars, missing limbs, etc), body proportion - big arms, long legs, and body figure, for females. Men don't wander about the figures of other men, but definitely do for females.

If you have really no creativity at all and have a very average looking person, you could randomly generate an acceptable character from the above :p
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on November 13, 2008, 01:27:53 AM
Men don't wander about the figures of other men, but definitely do for females.
Sexist!
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on November 28, 2008, 11:07:24 AM
Sexist!

I wonder about the figure of other men. Usually along the lines of: Crap, I can't compete with him.. or WooHoo! I reckon I can totally collect more numbers than him!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on November 28, 2008, 11:17:54 AM
Sexist!

I wonder about the figure of other men. Usually along the lines of: Crap, I can't compete with him.. or WooHoo! I reckon I can totally collect more numbers than him!

What if you're a female though? I really hate when people leave their body type out in their mdesc.
The man asks you:
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: tortall on November 28, 2008, 11:54:19 AM
Quote from: Bushranger on November 28, 2008, 11:17:54 AM
Sexist!

What if you're a female though? I really hate when people leave their body type out in their mdesc.

I thought you knew that there aren't any women playing this game. Sure, female characters, but no female players.

Who cares about male mdescs anyway? Psh.

That's all you really need:

mdesc - The man.

sdesc - He stands here.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Just a general toss out to get to the tipping.  Everyone's creative process is different, but learning the methodology others apply to creation processes can be of great use, so here's a portion of my own.  It all starts with a kernel.

From this crux of a character or goal, you can then easily expand, using what knowledge you have, the concept to the point you lay out the framework to achieve it.  This is often times a rigorous process, and I can't tell you HOW freaking upset I was when my first character died at less then a day played to a situation that was not a role played one with another player.

Then I exhaled and remembered its the passion that makes a pema-death RPI a superior experience to other role playing experience.  Sure, he was snuffed out well before his time, but that loss makes the rapscallion stick out more in my mind.   Yeah, quick rehash:  Kernel and outwards, and don't get discouraged if you get horribly savaged on your first couple characters.

Language is important while choosing a character. Armaggers often suffer from adjective abuse, which is using excessive or inappropriate adjectives in order to make their character appear unique. Why use unusual language for character who looks normal?  If your character looks odd, then the descriptions often write themselves. However, if your character doesn't stand out from the crowd appearance wise (this counts nobles in a crowd of nobles), don't bog down people with ridiculous language in order to make your sdesc and mdesc seem unique. Unique is overrated when so many people can't do typical.
Mansa to Me: "You are a cancer to ArmageddonMUD."

a single unique adjective was important until they fixed the contact code to take multiple adjectives.

now there is no excuse for words that require a graduate school level education to know without looking up.

as far as mdescs go, I could care less. I never read them anyway unless you are wearing a hood at the time my char meets yours. But even then, if you make me read a page of scroll . . . i won't.

February 20, 2009, 05:32:53 PM #39 Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 05:48:30 PM by Rairen
Disclaimer:

a)  I have a bad memory for people.  My character doesn't.  Deal.  :P
b)  I had a lousy day and this was the perfect mental escape.
c)  I may not have written down your character's sdesc.  I may have written it down incorrectly.  I may have written it down more than once if I forgot I already had it.  I occasionally include important NPCs.

My summation is that if you think you're being creative, you probably are.  Here's a list of three-hundred some unique adjectives that I've interacted with over the last two years or so.

able-bodied       
angular      
angular-inked      
aquiline      
argent-maned       
ashen-haired       
athletic   5   
auburn-haired    2   
auburn-tressed       
azure-eyed   3   
bald      
baobab-haired       
barrel-chested       
belshun-eyed       
bewhiskered      
big      
black      
black-haired   7   
black-mustached       
black-skinned      
bleach-haired      
blind      
blister-scarred       
blithe-faced       
blocky      
blonde-haired      
blue-eyed   2   
blue-inked       
boyish      
braid-bearded   2   
braid-crowned      
braid-locked      
braid-tressed      
broad      
bronzed       
browned      
brown-haired   2   
brunette      
brutally-scarred      
bulging      
bull-necked   2   
burgundy haired    2   
burly      
burnish-haired       
burn-scarred      
callous      
calloused      
charcoal-locked      
cherubic      
choppy-haired      
chubby      
cinnamon-skinned      
claw-scarred   2   
clean-shaven   2   
coffee-dark      
coffee-tressed      
comely      
compact   2   
copper-haired       
copper-toned       
crimson-haired   3   
crook-nosed   3   (Variation:  Crooked-nosed)
crop-haired      
curl-bearded       
curly      
curly-haired   3   
curvy   2   
dark       
dark-eyed   3   
dark-haired   5   
darkly skinned      
dark-skinned   4   
delicate   3   
doe-eyed      
dot-etched       
dread-locked      
drov-eyed      
dusky   3   
ebon-haired    3   
elaborately-inked       
emerald-eyed      
epicene      
ethereal   2   
fair-haired      
fair-skinned      
falconine      
feminine-faced       
fine-featured      
flat-faced      
florally-inked      
frail   2   
freckled   3   
freckle-nosed       
gangly      
garnet-haired      
gaunt      
gimlet-eyed       
gnarled      
golden blonde       
golden-brown      
golden-haired      
gold-eyed       
graceful   2   
green-eyed   5   
grey-eyed   3   
greying      
grey-skinned   3   
grim      
grizzled      
hale      
hale-skinned      
harsh-looking       
hazel-eyed      
heavyset      
henna-maned       
huge   2   
husky   2   
immense   2   
inky-haired      
inky-tressed       
ivory-locked      
ivory-maned      
ivory-skinned       
jade-braided      
jaded      
jallal-curled       
jallal-tressed      
jet-braided      
krath-kissed    2   
krath-ruptured       
lanky      
large-eyed       
lavender-eyed       
lean   3   
lean-muscled      
leathery   2   
light-haired   2   
light-skinned       
limber      
lissome      
lithe   3   
lithesome      
lofty   3   
long-braided      
long-jawed      
long-limbed   2   
malachite
manilla      
maroon-flaked      
massive      
mesh-tattoed      
modestly-built      
muscled young       
muscular      
muted      
narrowly-built       
nature-toned      
night-dark   2   
nubile      
obsidian      
obsidian-braided      
ochre-tressed       
old       
olive-skinned    3   
one-eyed      
onyx-braided       
onyx-haired    2   
onyx-skinned      
pale      
pale-haired       
patchy      
pearl-haired      
pepper-stubbled      
petite   2   
pitch-haired      
platinum-haired       
poised      
ponytailed       
prismatic-braided       
puce      
ragged-haired      
rawboned      
red-haired   2   (Variant: dark red-haired)
red-headed       
red-skinned   2   
reedy   2   
jet-ringleted      
ringlet-haired   2   
ringletted      
robust   2   
ropy      
rotund       
rough-braided      
rounded      
ruby-maned      
rugged   6   
rune-inked       
russet-haired       
sable      
sable-curled      
sable-haired       
sandy-eyed       
scaled      
scar-faced      
scarlet-haired    2   
scarred   3   
scar-riddled       
scrawny      
sculpted      
sepia-toned       
shadowy-donned       
shaggy-haired      
shapely   2   
sharp-eared   3   
sharp-featured      
short   3   
short-haired      
sienna-maned      
silt-toned       
silver-crowed       
silver-eyed       
silver-haired      
sinewy   6   
single-braided      
slash-tattooed       
sleek   6   
sleek-maned      
slender   8   
slight   3   
slim   2   
smoke-eyed       
soot-braided       
sordid      
spare      
spartan      
spiral-haired       
spiral-scarred      
spiral-tressed      
spry   3   
squinty-eyed      
stalwart      
stately   2   
statuesque   2   
stern-eyed      
stocky   5   
strapping      
striking      
stubble-bearded   2   
stumpy      
sturdy      
substantial      
sun-browned      
sun-darkened   2   
sunken-eyed      
sun-tattooed      
svelte   3   
swarthy   2   
swarthy-skinned       
tall   11   
tanned   4   
taut      
tawny   4   
tembo-tattooed      
manila       
twin-braided      
thick   3   
thick-bodied      
thick-sideburned       
thin   2   
thin-braided       
thorn-tattooed      
toffe-hued      
top-knotted      
tribal-inked young       
trim      
turquoise-eyed       
twiggy      
twilight      
twin-braided    2   
unkempt      
urbane      
vine-inked       
violet-eyed      
vivacious      
vividly-inked    2   
war-battered       
warbraided   2   
wasp-waisted      
wavy-haired      
weather-beaten      
weathered   2   
weather-worn      
well kempt      
well-kept       
whiskey-eyed       
white-haired      
wild-looking       
willowy   2   
wiry-muscled       
worn       
wrap-braided       
youthful      

Editted because there were some glaring mistakes in there the first time.

Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?

I know who well over half those keywords belong to. It's really interesting to how you have make something original without knowing you're doing it.
The man asks you:
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Just a quick thought, I Know most people like being imaginative with ther Chars, over and over again....but my process makes my char gen easy, me not being an imaganative fellow and all,....

I've found a character I fell in love with.....admitidly he died fairly quickly....all my chars die too soon....(blame the halflings....) But what I've done since is just alter that description slighty, not majorly, just hair colour, length, style, eye colour, marking features such as the shape of tattooes, or where they are, as well as a few injuries..(not all at once of course)...and I've been fine so far....

my point is, if you like char you create, dont re-create when they die, re-cycle, sure, its not the char you love, but he could be slighty better, worse, or just hated....its the magic of this world we live in....

Now whered that tandy run off too?
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Thank you for that very interesting list, Rairen.

I get confused with the sky.

I immediatly think light blue, when I should be thinking orange.

Quote from: Tuannon on March 10, 2009, 07:32:17 AM
I get confused with the sky.

I immediatly think light blue, when I should be thinking orange.

Red, actually. Different shades, but often described as "blood red."
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

March 15, 2009, 03:51:58 AM #45 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 03:55:04 AM by FantasyWriter
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Cavaticus on March 04, 2009, 08:33:35 AM
Thank you for that very interesting list, Rairen.

Seconded.  I had a major work-geek moment reading through it!   :D
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Only 11 'talls'?!
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

April 02, 2009, 08:49:22 PM #48 Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 08:51:23 PM by Morrolan
Quote from: Maso on March 27, 2009, 06:34:08 AM
Only 11 'talls'?!

It was still the most common desciptor on the list, with "black-haired" at 7 and "sinewy" and "rugged" next up at 6.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Djarjak on October 06, 2006, 09:18:43 AM
Quote from: FightClub
Then finally you toss some creative words in there using thesaurus.com that no one would actually use in their entire life to make you look like you're "down" with these elitist.

You had me until this part. Don't do this. And here's why: we get dozens of applications every day. When we get applications who misuse common words because they did this, we reject them.  If you, the player, don't know what a word means or don't know how properly to use it, then you shouldn't use it. Armageddon is not a game where you get extra points for having a larger vocabulary.

Though, I am not versed in many large words nor am I gifted with excellent writing skills. I am an everyday schmoe that enjoys playing, I find myself at times simply repeating the same three or four emote phrases or words simply because I don't know many more or don't want to look up what vehement means ( as an example) I am the redneck of ARM I guess an have a lil Karma, but I would tend to disagree perhaps, I am amazed by the depth of some of these players emotes and leet skillz in using hemote/phemote emote and such. Either way, I do think that your vocabulary does in many ways reflect how far you can go in arm.

I am not a perfect player, nor do I ever claim to be, i have spammed/twinked and such but atleast im tring not to do it anymore, though I still do at times.
but im tring

Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"