The Future of Northern Nobility

Started by Tlaloc, May 28, 2006, 03:30:23 AM

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=206522#206522

Feel free to ask questions, request clarification, or provide useful feedback.

I also forgot to mention: Mad props to my army of minions for helping me out with this project: chiefly Vanth and Adhira, who both worked hard to help me out with the vast building projects required for this. With the help of a handful of players for Vanth's s3cR1t Pr0j3cT, we were able to create 5 fully functioning new Clans ready for PC play in record time.

Nice job, guys!
Tlaloc
Legend

Not what I was expecting, but sweet. I can see this actually helping to make Tuluki rp more like it should be, at least for the city folks anyway.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I can just say... awesome! Having played one Tuluki PC (and my last, I promised myself) I felt a lot of things lacking. Hopefully this will help, and I may try again sometime. There's a lot of potential in Tuluk, but I was very very disappointed.
b]YB <3[/b]

My first question is, did you really say "form like Voltron"????? !  lol  :shock:

Assuming forming like Voltron is a good thing, the plans sound pretty cool!  Just wondering though what happens if say a Uaptal noble is an uber leader and starts recruiting lots of players and then dies, and the replacement noble chooses to make a Winrothol?  It probably wont happen often but what if the playerbase of one house gets lefts alone for an extended period of time?  Will new noble apps get recommended to play ini certain houses that have an established playerbase, or will the imms take care of playerbases without nobles?  Or will the players bet left on their own to drive their own plots?  Just curious.
anth: *tries to balance an evil laugh with a cheerful, open demeanor*

A sand-stuffed practice dummy looks down at you.

Come see Matrim's Armageddon website at:
http://ambushpaintball.com/armageddon

Mad props.

Sounds like an awesome plan.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

While I appreciate the effort I guess I just remain unsure that the playerbase can fully populate the 5 current noble clans, much less an additional 6 noble houses.  I don't have the access and insight staff has so I can only base that on my own observations.  Hopefully it all works out but at first glance I think I'd rather see fewer noble houses with more members than more noble houses with fewer members.

Edit: Is there going to be some sort of limit on what sort of hiring these new noble characters are going to be doing?  Working for a noble house should, in my opinion, be a sought after position and if there are upwards of 20 nobles in the game all wanting to hire their own aides and each of the 11 houses wanting to hire multiple guards is going to create a real demand for human types to the point that I worry those positions will lose the luster they should, by all rights, have.

Quote from: "CRW"While I appreciate the effort I guess I just remain unsure that the playerbase can fully populate the 5 current noble clans, much less an additional 6 noble houses.  I don't have the access and insight staff has so I can only base that on my own observations.  Hopefully it all works out but at first glance I think I'd rather see fewer noble houses with more members than more noble houses with fewer members.
I dunno, it sounds interesting to me. Rather then see it as all northern noble houses being occupied (which would be impossible anyway), I see it more as allowing a wider variety in the nobles. Rather then have everyone be either a Winrothol or Tenneshi, you CAN be one of the others. Although can the mud support 6 northern nobles? Dunno. How many is there at the moment? 3? How many is there in Allanak? But 6 is a maximum so there can always be less.

CRW: Tuluk is only going to have 6 noble PCs at a time maximum as per what Tlaloc wrote. So some of the Tuluki noble clans will be noble-less at some periods. (Which brings up a question, though, what about the commoner underlings hired in?)

In fact I think that's a worthy point to consider. Suppose the nobles in House Lyskae all die off/retire, but there are still active leader PCs at the Sergeant level that can recruit for the Lyskae clan. What happens? Using these scenarios I can definitely imagine all 7 Tuluki Houses active at once, just some won't have a noble around.

Another note: How will this impact the merchants? Will Salarr/Kadius/Kurac have new loadable goods with the insignias of the 5 'new' Houses to sell?
subdue thread
release thread pit

It's a cool idea on paper. I'm concerned about how it is going to work out in practice, due to a number of things that have been mentioned already. From my limited experience up in Tuluk, there were far less than 6 active nobles. Like CRW mentioned, adding more doesn't only sap the individual players playing those nobles, but they then need underlings and such to do their noble bidding. It seems like the playerbase will be getting pulled a bit thin, when, in my opinion, it already needed condensing.

But maybe it will work out great. It's certainly a cool idea. I'd love to see a day when we can see activity for all sorts of noble houses all at once. Maybe this is a step in that direction, and I'm busy being a nay-sayer. :)
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

I like the idea, but I also have questions. Some of them will most probably be answered as the thing is starting to work IG. To voice at least one of them, I am concerned what is going to happen with servants once nobles disappear from said House, as was already mentioned above. But really, I am very curious to see what is going to happen in Tuluk in upcoming weeks. :)

I'm fairly familiar with some what is planned for Tuluk, but for now I'll just answer the one dominant question:

There is a contingency plan in place for what happens Amos Tenneshi dies out, leaving all of his underlings leaderless.
ack to retirement for the school year.

I'm apprehensive, as well.

I love Tuluk and I love the Northern Houses, but the point is, is our pbase really big enough for that?  We'll have a few recruits in each House...  it's great for those wanting to be partisans and Aides, but Arm's pbase isn't really ginormous... let alone in Tuluk.

So, I guess we'll see things out.

In trying to move closer to the partisan model of Tuluki relations, life oaths to a House are no longer going to be the norm.  Instead, commoners will be employed by a specific noble for no longer than that noble's life as a PC, and in some cases, the relationship may intentionally be shorter...the length of a single 'job', a year-long contract, five years, etc.  

When Joe Dasari dies/retires, you as a commoner employee can hang on and see if the next PC noble is a Dasari and wants to hire you, or you can go work for Jane Lirathan or Tom Tenneshi or Bob Salarr.  Yes, this means you may have a series of caste tattoos extending all the way up your arm. ;)

Part of the original intent of New Tuluk was to make commoners and nobles more interdependent.  We're hoping that this plan will make that intent into more of a reality (particularly when Phase II goes into effect).

A commoner gains status by working for a noble, and has the advantage of being close to that noble's ear.  But nobles are only as strong as the amount of the populace they can influence, so they need the commoners as well.

And when Phase II does go into effect, you'll find that as a commoner employee you have a lot more to do.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

I looked a little..but can someone point out general docs on these houses?

I think this is a great plan and a great idea.  It opens up the noble houses and will give Tuluk a more shifting flavor.  By adding more focus upon patronage (which means a formal agreement that is _not_ employment) a lot of the issues people are coming up with will not be happening.  In terms of what happens if the patron dies - the partisan is freed up for other patronage.  On top of that, most patronage relationships allow commoners to accept jobs from other people even while patroned.

I've always felt that patronage is not used enough in Tuluk and this will definitely promote it.

Six noble slots makes for healthy interplay amongst the Houses.  I believe this will shift Tuluk's interactions to greater intrigue, more assassinations, and even better - a broader understanding of the different Houses which, in turn, should lead to a greater Tuluki feel.  I think six is a great number.  

I'm looking forward to this.

General docs describing the Houses:

http://www.armageddon.org/general/tuluki_rp.html

Added a thought:

Will players be able to directly impact the social standing of their House through their actions (over time)?

For example, let's say there are two players in Uaptal who really bugger it up.  They hire magickers openly (and regularly), they insult everyone, and they basically have everyone laughing at them and their House behind their backs.  At the same time there are a couple of stars in Negean that are doing it all right.

Would Uaptal see its position diminish, after say, a few months of these difficulties while Negean would see its position rising?

As much as it boggles my mind to think of more clan offerings when we can't populate the ones we have. . .

This does sound like a very cool fleshing out of Tuluk.  I haven't played a character focused on Tuluk in a while, this is interesting enough to make me want to come back and look around some.

Quote from: "marko"Will players be able to directly impact the social standing of their House through their actions (over time)?

For example, let's say there are two players in Uaptal who really bugger it up.  They hire magickers openly (and regularly), they insult everyone, and they basically have everyone laughing at them and their House behind their backs.  At the same time there are a couple of stars in Negean that are doing it all right.

Would Uaptal see its position diminish, after say, a few months of these difficulties while Negean would see its position rising?

This is more a goal of Phase II, but yes. An initial thought to this plan was that rigid noble-house 'ranks' were more of a Southern thing: in Tuluk, nobility are a caste. This puts them all, equally, on the level. How powerful they are within Tuluki society is all in the hands of the noble houses and players, and IC actions in-game. For example, during the restoration of Tuluk, Houses Tenneshi and Winrothol would naturally be at the top. Now that new buildings and slaves are less needed, you might see other Houses (Like Lyskae or Negean) become more powerful and influencial.

It will be very possible to see other Noble Houses raise or lower their status much more quickly. Competition and how much each noble House gets paid (as well as the pay of individual nobles) and the actual 'power' a House (and an individual PC noble) has, will be all be in the hands of the PCs.

So yes, the Uaptals in your example, Marko, could cause House Uaptal to fall in their position relative to other Houses, and maybe even cause the House to eventually collapse. While this would be rare - Noble players should keep this in mind, heh.

Quote from: "Jerhlen"Another note: How will this impact the merchants? Will Salarr/Kadius/Kurac have new loadable goods with the insignias of the 5 'new' Houses to sell?

Yes.

Quote from: "John"Although can the mud support 6 northern nobles? Dunno. How many is there at the moment? 3? How many is there in Allanak? But 6 is a maximum so there can always be less.

One reason I chose the number six was because, on average there have usually been roughly six nobles active in the Northlands anyway...they were all just in two Houses. Now you have six nobles in any House.

Currently, there are less than that, because we've been holding off on asking for new nobles untill we can place this in.

Quote from: "Empress"Assuming forming like Voltron is a good thing, the plans sound pretty cool! Just wondering though what happens if say a Uaptal noble is an uber leader and starts recruiting lots of players and then dies, and the replacement noble chooses to make a Winrothol?

Forming like Voltron is always a good thing.

While Vanth answered the big question on everyones minds, it should also be noted that the amount of PCs an individual noble will be able to hire will be controlled, and based on the individual power of that PC noble. Much like Newtons laws of thermodynamics, the total number of PCs hired into the Noble Clans will not really change (much), they will merely shift form.

Savvy nobles might consider political alliances (and marriages) to solve problems which could arise from this, or have enemies killed off or disgraced, or more preferably: both.
Tlaloc
Legend

I love this idea all the more.  I am in total and complete agreement about the ranking system of the Noble Houses.  

All I have to say is - This is an amazingly great and genius idea.  The implementation sounds very reasonable and well designed as well.

I'm loving it and it isn't even fully in the game yet.

To people who have said that they don't know how opening more clans is going to deal with the population of the mud...

Most of the people in Tuluk should not be 'hired' and 'clanned' members of the noble houses.  They should be some dude/chica that does this thing...and does it for this one noble.  The noble gets the work done, and the dude/chica gets Chosen support.

Noone should work for a House...they should work for that person from this House.

Editted to add: I love this idea.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Alright, this idea sounds amazing.  But I was still reserved about it with the employee worries but the idea to increase use of the patronage system sounds like it'll make it all the better.  So here's one question...

Will Northern nobility be taking a more active role in their affairs to compensate for the structure?  To explain myself:  Say if Joe Lyksae is actually going strong in game now and has a PC Sergeant and two or three competent soldiers.  That's a thriving clan that has room to go somewhere, especially if the PC Sergeant is a good one.  But it seems to me that with a patronage situation there would be less cooperation between employees of any noble which wanted to begin a military clan.  So would a noble from a martial House be more likely now to take the role of the PC Sergeant during important operations that would require the command of a large group of patrons, or would that be passed off on others?

Or is part of the idea to remove some of the military roles away from Noble Houses and put them solely with the Legion?  And then have noble houses be more likely to hire independent hunters and mercenaries to accomplish their active goals rather than have 3-4 players kept sparring for when they might be needed?  Hell, if this increases the number of Byn contracts I'm all for it...again.

When can people who are interested, begin to apply for positions?
your mother is an elf.

In regards to the employee question - most of the noble Houses in Tuluk (five of seven) are not focussed on any sort of "military" action.  

The two that can be argued to have a vested interest in having a functional "military" force would be Lyksae (although, I imagine that they would not have much of a standing force) and Winrothol (for slave capture operations).

The other Houses have no significant need for a regular standing House force other than guards.  The House Guard role is easily handled via npcs.

What I really like about this system is that it will force people to stop thinking that there are only two roles in a Noble House - House Guard or House Servant.

In this system a noble who seeks a specific hide from a beast would simply hire a hunter to go out and bring them the hide.  If the noble knows there is a requirement for many hides then they may consider entering into a patronage agreement with a hunter.  In return for the hunter bringing all the hides the hunter gains a stipend, a roof over their head (via a rented apartment), and the protection of having a noble for a patron.

A noble who wants to capture a beast would just hire a group like the Byn.

Basically, nobles would have a few partisans for regularly occurring activities and just hire others for one-offs.  

Another example, a noble would bring on a bard as a partisan for their own political gain.  Bards are great political figures in the game of politics and a good bard can bring a lot of prestige.  Some nobles would have artisans as their partisans - providing the supplies for the artisan to craft in return for custom goods later (or specific goods or whatever the agreement is) but, all the while, these partisans can accept contracts from other people.  

For example, the bard can accept a contract to compose a song for a templar.  The artisan can craft a bunch of tabards for another noble.  There may be limitations as to what the partisan is allowed to accept (ie, the noble doesn't like a different noble house and thus prevents the partisan from accepting jobs from that particular house).

But, in the end, the focus will shift away from these two extremely restricted employee / employer roles to a more open and shifting system of one-offs and patronage.

A noble from any House could bring together a bunch of fighting types if they so pleased - but this would likely only happen if there is a very specific plan that the noble has.  For example, a Winrothol noble may bring together four or five fighting types to capture slaves.  A Tenneshi noble may see some construction plan out at the frontier of Tuluk's territory and bring on a few fighting types to scout out the location and protect it.

I think this will turn Tuluk into a place where there is a lot of activity based on short-term plots and longer-term plots will shape the political landscape.  Interactions between the Houses will probably increase as will the total amount of on-going plots.

This system also will, hopefully, lead to people having jobs independent (ie, being true artisans) of the Noble Houses.  A jeweller would be a jeweller and not an employee of Noble House X.  People from all walks of life would go to the jeweller for jewelry - which will lead to interesting interactions with the Great Merchant House Kadius.  I really have a lot of hope for this system - I think it really advances Tuluk as Tuluk.

Other roles that will probably gain in prestige and potency will be the professional assassin and professional thief.  Basically, I see professionals in everything popping up and owning their own businesses.

Does this mean that current noble players are supposed to send their update emails to Tlaloc, Mekeda, and Nusku immediately rather than previous clan IMMs?

Quote from: "A Chosen Lady"Does this mean that current noble players are supposed to send their update emails to Tlaloc, Mekeda, and Nusku immediately rather than previous clan IMMs?

Yes.  They will let you know who your "primary" imm is, and the other two will be backup in case your primary becomes busy, goes on vacation, is put into federal witness protection, etc.

When sending the E-mail to Naiona I was probably one of the biggest complainers about Tuluk.  But now I'm ready to try it again.  I think that this change is nothing short of genius.  Of course, that doesn't mean it won't have some unexpected shortcomings, but nevertheless, it's heartening to finally see some ingenuity after having to seethe at Tuluk for so long.
Back from a long retirement

That is surely an interesting and neat idea, though I can not imagine how much this will weight on IMMs.

Also, for a system like this to work, there must be a very good working some type of battle ground something like Triumverate that includes PC chosens in it. I do not know.. This seems extra hard work for IMMs to me really, deciding on which chosen is going on, who is going down.. who is doing right and wrong.

In any case, it will be extremely entertaining to watch how this system will affect Tuluk. Good luck and kudos to you, Tlaloc, Mekeda, and Nusku.

PS. About new houses... I do agree it would not be fun if an Uaptal Chosen is speaking about current farming issues, but does not have any idea how they are really doing... or worse nothing is changing whatever happens in PC population at all.

PS.2 Will Lyskae Chosens have some part in Legions?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Imagine a Professional Assassin in Tuluk.  Hired on by a noble house to do one assassination job against joe blow, and the noble house pays for the licence to the Templarment.  You go in, you kill, you leave.

And then Joe Blow's family hire the exact same professional assassin to go kill one in a noble house, and pay for the assassination attempt to the templarment.

I really wish people would not kill the assassin but to seek revenge against the one who paid for the assassination licence.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "mansa"I really wish people would not kill the assassin but to seek revenge against the one who paid for the assassination licence.

The true artist assassin is not going to get caught  :twisted: .

Sounds pretty exciting I can't wait!  Looks like I picked a good time to start playing again cept for a certain scene of obscene brutality I was put thru a few days after I came back   :?  :(  :x  :evil:

One more question though!  Is the flava-flav' of each of the house going to be maintained or are we going to see all the houses shift their focus on whatever is needed at the time?  Like are we going to see Winrothol say "Hey now that the reconstruction is over we don't have as much influence anymore and look at those Lyksae bums they're getting all this glory training soldiers, lets use our vast resources and build a bigger soldier training facility than Lyksae so we can kick their @$$e$!!!"  Then Lyksae says "well screw this, lets lay down our swords and become the biggest producers of baskets the world has ever seen!"  Winrothol becomes the new militant house and Lyksae creates the first basket monopoly.  Is this extent of change something the staff would be open too, or do you still want to see the current specialties of the houses maintained?  Just an example, but do you see what I mean?
anth: *tries to balance an evil laugh with a cheerful, open demeanor*

A sand-stuffed practice dummy looks down at you.

Come see Matrim's Armageddon website at:
http://ambushpaintball.com/armageddon

I haven't bothered to look, but perhaps there should be a nice page about, 'What should I be able to do, what should I want to do, what should I not do?' regarding the northern nobility.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I want to be part of this so bad >_< I loved Tuluk already and this makes it even better.

Are you guys taking noble apps now?  Or will you be waiting until Phase Two???

Mansa wrote:
QuoteI haven't bothered to look, but perhaps there should be a nice page about, 'What should I be able to do, what should I want to do, what should I not do?' regarding the northern nobility.

Rest assured, people have been working on documentation and other items to support this idea for some time in the background. (We've got some great player submissions in for this).  This should be a relatively smooth transition and the final product, as Tlaloc says, should form like Voltron.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

This sounds like a great idea.

Will there be the chance for nobles to have their own estates outside the city rather
than being cooped up in a quarter?
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: "Intrepid"This sounds like a great idea.

Will there be the chance for nobles to have their own estates outside the city rather

The perceived problem here will be addressed ICly.

Buh?  Outside the city?  Why??
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Is answer question?
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

Quote from: "CRW"While I appreciate the effort I guess I just remain unsure that the playerbase can fully populate the 5 current noble clans, much less an additional 6 noble houses.

I'm a bit concerned as well, and I also hope a balance with the number of active nobles in Allanak can be maintained.

Quote from: "Empress"Sounds pretty exciting I can't wait!  Looks like I picked a good time to start playing again cept for a certain scene of obscene brutality I was put thru a few days after I came back   :?  :(  :x  :evil:

One more question though!  Is the flava-flav' of each of the house going to be maintained or are we going to see all the houses shift their focus on whatever is needed at the time?  Like are we going to see Winrothol say "Hey now that the reconstruction is over we don't have as much influence anymore and look at those Lyksae bums they're getting all this glory training soldiers, lets use our vast resources and build a bigger soldier training facility than Lyksae so we can kick their @$$e$!!!"  Then Lyksae says "well screw this, lets lay down our swords and become the biggest producers of baskets the world has ever seen!"  Winrothol becomes the new militant house and Lyksae creates the first basket monopoly.  Is this extent of change something the staff would be open too, or do you still want to see the current specialties of the houses maintained?  Just an example, but do you see what I mean?

Just qouting it, as it looks to have been overlooked.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"
Quote from: "Empress"Sounds pretty exciting I can't wait!  Looks like I picked a good time to start playing again cept for a certain scene of obscene brutality I was put thru a few days after I came back   :?  :(  :x  :evil:

Just qouting it, as it looks to have been overlooked.

Yes, Houses will still maintain their traditional 'duties'. If a noble wants to build something, they'll need to approach House Tenneshi for the engineering, House Winrothol for the slaves, House Dasari for the raw matierals, etc.

House Lyskae still does Lyskae stuff. Kassigarh still does Kassigarh stuff.

That said, it should be noted that *some* duties might fall into grey/fuzzy areas, and might become threatened. Nobles should consider carefully when venturing into these areas, as that's a good way to make enemies (unless that's what you're going for).

So the answer is a little of both. I suggest playing, and finding out IC about the nuances, because there's going to be a bunch.
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "Moofassa"When can people who are interested, begin to apply for positions?
your mother is an elf.

Quote from: "Tlaloc in the original Staff Announcement"Within about a week or two the groundwork for Phase 1 of the Northern Nobility Plan will be completed. Here is what's going to be happening:

When finished, all Northern Noble Houses will be open for play.

Quote from: "Cuusardo"

Buh?  Outside the city?  Why??

Because there is a certain modicum of power behind building an estate and then
gathering a village/small town around it.  You have a certain amount of authority
and power over that area that a townhouse in the noble's quarter is going to be lacking
just a bit.  Not to mention, it would be more consistent with the idea that there have
been plats of land surrounding the city itself named after various houses.

Where would you rather have your uber secret meeting to have a rival noble killed:
In a backroom of a tavern where everyone can see you, at your home in the noble's
quarter where vnpcs are watching people come and go or at your private estate
where only someone putting time and effort into spying on your home will actually be
able to see that Nick the Knife showed up cloaked the night before Lord Tinglebottom
was slain?

Quote from: "Sir Diealot"

Is answer question?

Please rephrase the question.

Quote from: "Intrepid"
You have a certain amount of authority and power over that area that a townhouse in the noble's quarter is going to be lacking
just a bit.

While I'm not sure that building individual estates out in the scrubs is going to be a part of Phase II, I will say that you're likely going to be very pleased with certain aspects of it.
ack to retirement for the school year.

Quote from: "Bakha"
Quote from: "Intrepid"
You have a certain amount of authority and power over that area that a townhouse in the noble's quarter is going to be lacking
just a bit.

While I'm not sure that building individual estates out in the scrubs is going to be a part of Phase II, I will say that you're likely going to be very pleased with certain aspects of it.

Now that sounds pretty cool. :D

By the way, Bakha: Welcome back.

Welcome Backha..ha...haha.

Sorry.
b]YB <3[/b]

So, when are the players and PCs that are active nobles right now going to get more information about this?

Quote from: "A Chosen Lady"So, when are the players and PCs that are active nobles right now going to get more information about this?

Just so it doesn't get overlooked because of my post.

If this turns out as awesome as it sounds, will it eventually be in place in the south also?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Without giving anything away, this project will make the northern nobility more distinct and different from the south, so no - this project will not be implemented in Allanak, as well.
brainz: it's what's for dinner.

Probably for the best. Can you imagine how much it would suck playing a Jal noble?

At your table, the pale, thin-nosed man drones on, in sirihish:
       "Now, you may be interested to note that the characteristics of smelling salts and cleaning salts are actually rather similar. Of course, that all depends on where they're harvested from..."
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"Can you imagine how much it would suck playing a Jal noble?

:lol: Fortunately we won't be seeing any Jal nobles for the moment, because that's an Allanak noble house.  I do kind of like the idea of looking after sewage though...

That was Cale's point. Having all the Houses open in the north, where there's no fixed "tier" system, and all the Houses have a bit more to do than mop sewage, would be better than having them all open in Allanak.

Still, having Jals and Saths around for the other nobles to make fun of would be great...

I think some of it has already been worked on.

Yes, but they haven't taken applications for new northern nobles yet.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

The future of northern nobility is groveling for their lives at the boots of their Allanaki superiors.  Muahaha...

Actually, I loved this concept... but I think these things take time.  I'm waiting for the big post in Staff Announcements.  Patience, young silt-hopper.   :twisted:

http://www.armageddon.org/general/updates/view.php

Today: "Five Northlands estates, thanks to the collective efforts of many Staff -- Tlaloc."

WOOT! That means this thing is getting closer. *excitement*
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"http://www.armageddon.org/general/updates/view.php

Today: "Five Northlands estates, thanks to the collective efforts of many Staff -- Tlaloc."

Uhhhh...no?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "LauraMars"
Quote from: "Gimfalisette"http://www.armageddon.org/general/updates/view.php

Uhhhh...no?

It's -not- coming closer?  Or, are you not excited?  LauraMars confuses me.

IT IS! IT IS COMING CLOSER!

YAAAAAAAY!

Yes! 250% more beds for my burglar to steal!

It was neat to see that line in the weekly update.   I wonder if that means it's close to forming like Voltron?
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

10/07/2006: Helpfiles for Houses Dasari, Kassigarh, Lyksae, Negean, Tenneshi, and Uaptal -- Tlaloc
10/07/2006: 52 Northlands Noble NPCs -- Tlaloc

It's getting closer!
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

YES. THANK YOU. *hugs* and *kudos* to all the northern staff, I know you guys have worked hard and long at this!

I, for one, am EXTREMELY excited about this implementation and believe it will bring awesome and necessary things to Tuluk! Rock on!

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HAVE MY CHILDREN

P.s. Fantastic new docs by Aernis and Company.

I won't take credit for the docs - all I did was compile what was already done and put it together.

The other immortals (and players) who came up with the docs and other necessary thingies in the first place did an incredible job.  I merely had the honor and privilege of bring them together.

I am very excited about the Northern Houses as are all those who were and are involved in this process.

Quote from: "LauraMars"WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HAVE MY CHILDREN

This is true sig material.

AYAYAYAYA!!111 NOBLIES!111ELEVEN112.
I'll be the first noble to have a moustache.

Quote from: "Aernis"I won't take credit for the docs - all I did was compile what was already done and put it together.

The other immortals (and players) who came up with the docs and other necessary thingies in the first place did an incredible job.  I merely had the honor and privilege of bring them together.

I am very excited about the Northern Houses as are all those who were and are involved in this process.

As I posted on the weekly update, Many People helped shape the construction of the Northern Noble House documentation. From my perspective, it was really cool to watch the evolution of the documentation, from the initial concepts/ideas/groundwork laid out by players, to the signifigant amount of work it took to get each House 'just right'.

This project has expanded from the intial "Lets go bare bones" ideas to create five new houses, and each House developed further at each stage of production. I'm very pleased to say that the final output were five, well developed clans, each with detailed, unique, and interesting cultures and quirks, all of which leave open a bevvy of potential character concepts, ideas,  plot hooks, and twists. At the same time, each House has a lot of room, still, to grow, and PCs who are a part of the new (and old) Houses will be in a position to help shape the clans themselves.

Included (but not limited to) in the people involved in the process are:

Lorain
Aldeil
Amoeba
Delirium
Jstorrie
Vanth
Eniriah
Adhira
Djarjak
Aernis

Great job to everyone, and big thanks for all who assisted in the production of this project.

There's far more in store for the Northlands...but you'll have to find out IC for the rest. ;)
Tlaloc
Legend

I'd also like to seperately thank

LauraMars
John
amoeba
spawnloser
davien
5DMW
HaiWolfe
Anael

for submitting NPCs,
and

Delirium
LauraMars
John
Anael
T7DV

for submitting tattoos.

If we've forgotten to give anyone credit, let us know.

This is awesome thanks to all of those who worked on it and made Arm even BETTER than it already is. Can't wait to see some nobility develp in Tuluk, though most of my PCs operate in da deep south, ah well this is still a great addition.

I would just like to point out to everyone that, with the new nobles coming in soon, this is going to be an awesome time not only to play a Tuluki noble, but also to play any of the following politically-involved roles:

-- Aide to a noble or templar
-- Bard of Poets' Circle
-- Assassin/burglar/other sneaky type on contract for the upper castes
-- Merchant/agent trainee employee for one of the great merchant houses
-- Partisan! (yes, even Amos the Indie Hunter can get in on the fun!)

None of the above require a special app *, all of them can be incredibly fun to play, and all of them have huge potential to get in on this new wave of Tuluki politics.

So if it tickles your fancy to schmooze, sing, backstab, spy, or wheel-n-deal your way into Tuluki politics, and you're not in a sensitive or plot-intensive role right now, I'd strongly encourage you to whip up a new character and join the fun!

* Playing a born bard of Poets' Circle does require an application to the Circle imms, but the imms are very welcoming and helpful to new bard players. Really, it's not as hard as it sounds to do.