Temporary descriptions (semi repost / better forum)

Started by Marauder Moe, January 12, 2006, 02:25:45 PM

I love the idea, personally. Like another poster said, when you have something different about your char, like a broken limb, you end up having to emote it over and over again. Every time someone new walks into the bar, you have to throw out some sort of emote about your broken limb. I'm sure the barflies that were there to begin with start getting tired of it.

Secondly, there are a lot of things I think a lot of us would like to express that don't warrent a mdesc change. Pregnancy, filth on a usually clean PC, wounds, and hairstyle all come to mind pretty quickly.

I do understand that the staff likes to be able to approve such things, but, as others have said, the emote command lets you basically do anything you want. Plus, I'd rather see more options passed out, rather than limiting everyone's play because of an abusive minority.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

hmmm...I can't say i don't like it, but then i can't say i do...

LoD's post pretty much sums up it most of my concerns. Emotes and ldescs are usually only used to show what and how you are doing something in my mind or its at least how i usually use them.

My problem is that even with long description i've found myself putting down things that shouldn't be there. Putting feeling and idea into peoples mouths that they should instread get from my PCs action and emotes. On top of the the staff approves these descriptions and i've sometimes had to go back and ask for a modification. I don't do it intentionally but it only becomes obvious after a week or so of reading the desc over and over that it shouldn't be there and i assume its why the staff lets it pass after reading it only once or twice. Mistakes happen.

The ability to add bruises, fresh cuts, bleeding parts and burns temporarily to location slots would be enough for me. However a good compromise would be to have the ability to add staff pre-approved T-descs. For example:

This person looks like they were in battle recently
This person looks drunk
This persons eye are bloodshot.
This person's hair is unkempt, their belt is unbuckled and has a rosy glow.

code wise it could be:
Add tdesc 1
or
add tdesc 2

The list of what tdesc you get for what number would be on the website. People could submit tdescs for approval and the list would eventually grow to cover most situations.
I'm sure its not what everyone wants but it could be a start.

Mmm, I recon that definately wouldn't be so good, and may be quite jarring. People might want more than on tdesc at once, and then they'd just end up with a list of random statements at the bottom of their desc, rather than being able to compile it into a nice but short piece of well written descriptive writing.

I really think the majority of approved players on Arm would be competant enough to abide by the rules that were given to them. And any tdescs that didn't fit the rules could easily be reported to the staff, and 'sides, if you make a mistake in your tdesc and decide it gives away too much...-you- can change it, super quick, without having to wish up.

BUMPBUMP

:D
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

So -that's- what the fuck this tdesc thing is.

This thread must've taken place when I wasn't playing the game or something.

I'm in favor.

Whenever I go Super Saiyan Level 2, I need to change my desc to reflect my growing power.

;)
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

March 12, 2009, 12:33:24 PM #56 Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 12:36:50 PM by Agent_137
For new folks joining this thread who don't want to read back 3 pages, read this:

Here is the core problem with this idea [as originally mentioned by halaster (the killer, the legend]. There are some good suggestions on how to resolve this scattered about the thread. Particularly by Dresan a few posts up.

Quote from: Agent_137 on January 18, 2006, 09:56:47 PM
It doesn't have that much more room for abuse than change ldesc, or the EMOTE command.

As a matter of fact, the emote command has much more abuse potential than a line or two in some one's mdesc. I mean, who reads that crap anyway?

Quote from: Bestatte on January 19, 2006, 07:56:22 AM
Bad comparison though. Emote is a one-shot deal. It shows up, and then it's done. The only people who will see it are those who are there, the moment the emoter hits the enter key. A temp desc will last until it reverts back to its original state, which means everyone and their brother will have the opportunity to see something like this:

l twink
Teh man u c is huge mussles thin face long flowin har liek elf in lr0d of teh rings...

etc. etc.

And you'll keep seeing it until a staff member is alerted to it, or until twinkie changes it. I think the idea of secondary descriptions is great, but the implementation of a "temp" description might not be the way to go about it.

change ldesc is here, humping a templar.

Permanent, until a staff member is alerted to it, or the dude changes it.

Next?

Quote from: Synthesis on March 12, 2009, 12:35:48 PM
Permanent, until a staff member is alerted to it, or the dude changes it.

or the dude moves. Or sits. Or starts crafting.

"...or the dude changes it" covers those eventualities.

I do believe the point remains:  we already have a command in-game that allows you to semi-permanently say things about the game world, without direct staff supervision.

tdesc could be coded such that it resets to null whenever you log out, forcing you to re-add it whenever you log in, if you really want it to be less persistent.

I'm for it. As Syn says, it's just another tool. There is nothing wrong with another tool. Abuse comes in all sorts of forms. With as many people looking at your PC as there are in this game, inappropriate tdescs will not last long.

Put it in. Let us tell you just why our PC is bleeding all over your floor. Maybe he is just black and blue from a good knuckle sandwich.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Marauder Moe on March 12, 2009, 02:12:37 PM
I am in favor of this idea.

Originally I was a skeptic, but I've come to love the possibilities. Yes please.

Quote from: a strange shadow on March 12, 2009, 03:40:35 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on March 12, 2009, 02:12:37 PM
I am in favor of this idea.

Originally I was a skeptic, but I've come to love the possibilities. Yes please.

I like it now, too. I read earlier in the thread that someone said something about parsing the tdesc out of the mdesc. That's the way I'd like to see it. It'd be kind of like how certain spell effects show up in a look now. Also, it'd immediately bring to my attention that something's a little different than usual with the character I'm looking at.

I'm with the others who say that the benefits far outweigh the potential for abuse. It would rule to have this. Ldesc and the arrange command bring so much to the game, and I'm sure tdesc would be a great addition.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

The tdesc command will be available after maintenance.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on March 12, 2009, 05:09:18 PM

Do you prefer weed, DMT, or cold hard cash?

:o

My quiet crusade of... four and a half years... has finally come to an end!

Thanks, Morgenes!

Quote from: Morgenes on March 12, 2009, 05:09:18 PM

I love this. Quite a lot. 
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?tdesc

QuoteTdesc     (Character)

This command allows you to describe temporary changes to your character that would be visible upon looking at them. It is not intended to be used for permanent changes, those still require a description change request.

This is not to be used to write messages or to directly cross language barriers. If you are caught abusing this command, your character will lose the ability to use it.

Syntax:
    tdesc
    tdesc clear

Example:
    > tdesc
    Enter a temporary description.
    Terminate with a '~'
    > His hair is tousled from the wind.
    > ~

> tdesc clear
    Temporary Description cleared.

See Also:
    Request_Tool, Descriptions
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Methinks everyone needs to spam the request tool with Kudos for Morgenes. Seriously.

Tdesc is destroying the world, look at all the crashes! :(
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin