Drawing the Line

Started by Kankman, December 21, 2004, 07:48:13 PM

I hate Tuluk. Really, I can't stand the place. The immortals did an amazing job on it, the social history, the city itself, everything is immaculately crafted. I just can't damn well stand the place. I never feel "at home" playing any of my characters there. It always feels wrong. It almost feels like another game.

When I started playing the Northlands was Freil's and the Sanctuary. Those who know, know what I'm talking about. At that point I could stand it. I even enjoyed it at times.

This is something I've been thinking about since the new city was built and I realized I wouldn't likely be playing there for any long period of time. The reasoning? I'm a 'Nakki through and through. I can't help it, when it comes right down to it, I outside of any character I play, am a citizen of Allanak, (dis)loyal to the Great Highlord Tektolnes, the Dragon Himself.

How do you folks feel?
(Edited to continue thought, interrupted by home intruder)
Do you feel allied to one city-state or another for any particular reason?

Last time I saw Tuluk, it was a crater. I still remember the old Tuluk, but it was never home for me. Sometimes a place of refuge when I needed to get away fron 'nak, but it was always a place to visit, never stay. I don't know why, but the south has always seemed to be more interesting for me. Even when I was rebel scum. Maybe especially so.

I like both, each for completely different reasons. But then, I wasn't an Armer "way back when" Tuluk was just two buildings and a whole lotta nuttin.

For a less harsh (but definitely not Unharsh) environment, different clothing and armor styles, change of scenery, interesting critters to hunt, the life of a ranger in general, I prefer the north.

For politics, in all its evil nasty ugly wicked glory, nothing beats Allanak.

I hate to say this but I hate Tuluk with a murderous passion. I think the place sucks. I believe it was made specifically to be the exact opposite of Allanak:

Hate of country vs Love of country

Hate of authority vs Respect of authority

Hatred of theft/murder (unless you're the law committing those acts then it's okay of course) vs Admiration of theft/murder to the point where you invite said thieves and murderers to register so that you can aid their business.

Oppression/blatant usage/toying of the common vs Respecting the common because for a LONG time you had to live among them as equals, not their betters but you can't bed one cause THAT would be considered crass *scratch*

Controlling and fear of magicks via gem vs hatred and persecution of anything magicks - nevermind that your RULER is a magicker

Dry, barren city vs lush, thriving greenery

Admiration of money/power vs Admiration of the arts

I could go on but I won't, you get my drift.

I played a (little wild girl) character right at the turn of the power in the northlands, a templar basically took possession of her and ordered her around, sometimes in a -very- mean manner, it was almost like being in Nak. The transition phase, where all the kinks weren't worked out yet, was more pleasant to me than the end result.

Maybe I haven't played Tuluk enough to see its beautiful side but it seems like Tuluk is all talk. They fake the funk on being tuluki but when it comes down to it, where are all the burglars and assassins who are admired and respected for their "art"? Where is the bardic presence that does more than meddle in the lives of everyone around them and occassionally hold a bardic competition? Why is the Byn there when they helped Tek during the war? Where are all the independently wealthy hunters who thrive so well that they can own anything, they can start businesses, sway politics?

Subtlety does NOT mean you hide everything like it doesn't exist.

The funny thing is that when Allanak occupied the north and you visited it in game it felt like a whole different place. It felt magickal. Now I have to pretend it's magickal because it's just boring to me.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Way to firmly etch your mark on the 'Nak side of the tally board ShaLeah.
:twisted:

I for one like Tuluk very much. I just find it to be a lot more fun, it feels more like home for me (I guess you could say). I have never actually made a nakki, but I've been to Allanak and I just don't like it. Heh.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

I bet it has a lot to do with where you make your first character.

My first (second, and third) characters were all in Allanak. That comprises approximately 13 months of game play. I -still- think Tuluk is awesome for things that Allanak lacks, and vice versa. Each has its downsides and benefits, to me.

Can I put in a vote for "neither" as my favorite?

Some of us prefer dustier locales.

I like Tuluk because I like all that artsy fartsy crap, and I like all of the underhanded backstabbing that goes on.  (It's so much fun to totally ruin someone without them even knowing that you did it.)  I also agree with the fact that hunting in the north is a lot more fun because there are a lot more critters to hunt.  Not to mention halflings...  Fighting with a halfling is always a rush and a half.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Labyrinth, Tablelands, Mal Krian, Red Storm - to an extent.

Everything else I cannot stand to play for a long period of time.

Sa'alam,

Dirr

Exact opposite from you, Kankman. For me, it's Tuluk, or it's another game. But I don't mind travelling a little bit, it just never feels like home, just like Allanak does to you. Eventually, one day, I'll start a character off in the south, but not yet.

A character long ago once said:

QuoteTuluk? No. I would -NOT- like to go there. I'd prolly see all them fancy, perty things and just shit - everywhere.

That about sums it up for me. Nakki and proud.

Though I will agree that it's probably where you create your first character, or mebbe where you start that first character that really 'fits' you. My first few characters were 'disposable', but once I had that character that really slid right into the world and kept be engrossed, it was in Nak. I don't think Tuluk would have kept me here, to tell the truth. Just not my style...
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I haven't had a char that's really -lived- in tuluk, nor been born in tuluk.

I'll let you know how it goes, when it happens.

Actually, I'll probably forget.

But as it stands now, I'm comfortable in 'nak, but dislike the politics.

Well, I'm not a big politics fan in either city state, really.

I've only had a few characters and all of 'em have been in Tuluk!

It reminds me of Canada actually, more space, people are friendlier, booze is way better, and we can actually smoke drugs in public!  I mean c'mon people!   :wink:  (j/k about the drug thing...  kind of...)
anth: *tries to balance an evil laugh with a cheerful, open demeanor*

A sand-stuffed practice dummy looks down at you.

Come see Matrim's Armageddon website at:
http://ambushpaintball.com/armageddon

Quote from: "Empress"I've only had a few characters and all of 'em have been in Tuluk!

It reminds me of Canada actually, more space, people are friendlier, booze is way better, and we can actually smoke drugs in public!  I mean c'mon people!   :wink:  (j/k about the drug thing...  kind of...)

No wonder the Canadians are dispised.. *Coughs*
We shall step up preparations for possible military struggle and enhance our capabilities to cope with crises, safeguard peace, prevent wars and win the wars if any," Hu

I give this man much respect for this comment.

red storm east, baby.  :P
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Tuluk... Well, Tuluk is just.. pussified..
We shall step up preparations for possible military struggle and enhance our capabilities to cope with crises, safeguard peace, prevent wars and win the wars if any," Hu

I give this man much respect for this comment.

Quote from: "xX_Cathedral_Xx"Tuluk... Well, Tuluk is just.. pussified..

Amen.

I'm personally conflicted and confused and undecided as to which I like better.  I was the Imm in charge of the Allanaki templarate AND the Tuluki templarate when Allanak invaded.  And then I ran the rebellion while still looking over the Allanaki militia.  Talk about confused.. who do I like?  Where are my loyalties?  I like both.  I really like the history of Tuluk because we (as a staff + playerbase) got to see it happen, and make it happen, and enjoy it happening.  Going from the old city before the cataclysm, to the rubble afterwards and the 'Northern Alliance' to the invasion, and the occupation, and finally the liberation.  That's just down-right some kick-ass stuff.  Allanak doesn't have that history, so much, but its depth and feel is just so.. cool.  So Allanak.  One of my most favorite characters ever that I played was an Allanaki templar (second only to a Blackwing elf)

So.. my official vote, I suppose would be:  Both.  Neither.  I don't know.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

I enjoy both Allanak and Tuluk..I myself am confused as to which to select much like Halaster.
I can enjoy and appreciated the underhanded backstabbing of the north, as well as the open
hatred towards someone and their demise in the south.  Over the last, four-five years, I have
had a total of four PCs, 3 Tulukis and One Allanaki, and I have extremely enjoyed all the roles.
Both cities have pros and cons, however, I do not think One overtops the other, I believe
the "feeling at home" affect comes from how you play your characters and demeanor IRL.

Just IMHO
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I enjoy Tuluk quite a bit.  Once I've had a long-term character in Allanak, I'll probably enjoy Allanak quite a bit.  As far as some of the more rabid anti-Tuluki sentiment goes, I've seen enough characters come and go in Tuluk to form the opinion that some of you confuse "body count" with "brutal" and wouldn't know subtle if it bit you in the face.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Allanak for me definitely - the gritty and savage feel to it is great. I like the more marked differences between the various groups such as noble houses, merchant houses commoners, 'rinthers that exist in Allanak. I like how there is an established criminal underworld in Allanak. I prefer how magickers can play as magickers in Allanak and can get involved in plots based on what they are instead of having to hide it all the time. I enjoy how the hunting around Allanak is more dangerous and keeps you on your toes. That isn't to say that Tuluk is bad - it does seem a pretty cool place and it offers a different style of roleplay (which is good I think) but its not to my taste personally. Different strokes for different folks I suppose - down here in Allanak we reckon that one at neck height generally suffices  :wink:

There is an established criminal underworld in Tuluk.  It's just not as obvious as the one in Allanak.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Cuusardo"There is an established criminal underworld in Tuluk.  It's just not as obvious as the one in Allanak.

Established was the wrong term to use on my part. It might be there but in my opinion its vastly under-used by us the players. Virtually nobody plays a real criminal type character up in Tuluk for a number of reasons I can think of straight off the top of my head. I know there have been exceptions to this but the vast majority of people who want to play a criminal play in Allanak, often in the 'rinth, as this is where criminal action and interaction is at. Having said that I think there is a great opportunity for somebody to leave their mark (subtly of course!) on Tuluk by establishing a criminal group that has a lasting legacy, becomes something that players can continue to join in the future and has Imm support like the Guild or HK. Speaking from personal experience it is very difficult for a proper criminal organisation to continue to exist and function properly without Imm supervision and support. Maybe this already exists in Tuluk but if it does it is so hidden as to be unbeneficial for ordinary criminal type characters.