Drawing the Line

Started by Kankman, December 21, 2004, 07:48:13 PM

Quote from: "LBO"
Quote from: "Cuusardo"There is an established criminal underworld in Tuluk.  It's just not as obvious as the one in Allanak.

Established was the wrong term to use on my part. It might be there but in my opinion its vastly under-used by us the players. Virtually nobody plays a real criminal type character up in Tuluk for a number of reasons I can think of straight off the top of my head. I know there have been exceptions to this but the vast majority of people who want to play a criminal play in Allanak, often in the 'rinth, as this is where criminal action and interaction is at. Having said that I think there is a great opportunity for somebody to leave their mark (subtly of course!) on Tuluk by establishing a criminal group that has a lasting legacy, becomes something that players can continue to join in the future and has Imm support like the Guild or HK. Speaking from personal experience it is very difficult for a proper criminal organisation to continue to exist and function properly without Imm supervision and support. Maybe this already exists in Tuluk but if it does it is so hidden as to be unbeneficial for ordinary criminal type characters.

I can not begin to stress how horribly wrong you are. Remember, being subtle is the Key up north.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: "Krath"I can not begin to stress how horribly wrong you are. Remember, being subtle is the Key up north.

I stand corrected... very subtly too. Seems like I'll have to make a criminal character up there to get to the bottom of all of this as, admittedly, I have no knowledge of a nothern ogranised criminal group. So even the criminals are subtle folk up there eh? Sounds wonderful, if a little odd for your ordinary rabble type of criminal.

Well, at least I have a character concept in mind for the future - in a world where everybody moves in curves I think it'd be interesting to see what a group could do moving in straight lines. Ordinary, scummy criminals often are notorious for not using a key.

Remember the North's affection for art.  Even assassination and theft are an art form to Tuluki's.  Your so-called 'ordinary rabble type of criminal' is without art and thus will have a short career as the artists make the blunderer's life quite difficult.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

Quote from: "Xamminy"Remember the North's affection for art.  Even assassination and theft are an art form to Tuluki's.  Your so-called 'ordinary rabble type of criminal' is without art and thus will have a short career as the artists make the blunderer's life quite difficult.

You know, this makes me wonder. How would this cause Tuluki to view elves?

After all, if elves pride themselves on and compete with each other to be the best conmen, thieves, and slick mofos around.. wouldn't that actually be less of a "get out of my way you filthy longneck" thing and more of a "whatever you do, don't trust him, but damn he's good" thing?

Quote from: "Delirium"
Quote from: "Xamminy"Remember the North's affection for art.  Even assassination and theft are an art form to Tuluki's.  Your so-called 'ordinary rabble type of criminal' is without art and thus will have a short career as the artists make the blunderer's life quite difficult.

You know, this makes me wonder. How would this cause Tuluki to view elves?

After all, if elves pride themselves on and compete with each other to be the best conmen, thieves, and slick mofos around.. wouldn't that actually be less of a "get out of my way you filthy longneck" thing and more of a "whatever you do, don't trust him, but damn he's good" thing?

You are exactly on point. However, it also depends on the background of your PC. But,
for the most part yes, that is the correct assumption.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Red Storm. All the way.

Tuluk, it is only obvious every bard is an assasin. Wait.. or is that Allanak? (J/k, I don't know) Tuluk has good alcohol.
Allanak, Keeps killing me everytime I spend more than a couple hours.
Luir's, Well... They've never liked me. It is probably my awesome attractiveness that gets all ze girls.
Red Storm, Rotten fruit, alone time, expensive spice, A couple nice alleyways to get my freak on.
Red Storm East, So far out there, who cares?
Blackwing- Eh.. What's up bucko? You have to look up at 'em. I'd rather just cut 'em off at the knees.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Okay, seriously, why does everyone think that every bard is an assassin?
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

I remember being amused at the honest shock my warrior/bard recieved for actually being able to kick ass and take numbers. I guess it's a stereotypical concept; play a magicker or an assassin and hide it behind a bardic routine. Theoretically, the Circles DO have a (somewhat) well hidden "underside".. after all, they're highly political creatures if they're going to be at all rich and successful. That doesn't mean they have to be class assassin at all, though.

Warrior bard sounds dangerous.  What if you damage your precious hands?  :shock:

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

laff @ derailment.

For me, from my old MUD of 7 years, a bard was primary guild.

His first focus was lore, second was weapons, third was magic. Or maybe magic and weapons were switched, but you get the idea.

So an assasin bard was a foreign concept for me until I hit this mud. And I still don't like the idea.

QuoteSeems like I'll have to make a criminal character up there to get to the bottom of all of this as, admittedly, I have no knowledge of a nothern ogranised criminal group. So even the criminals are subtle folk up there eh? Sounds wonderful, if a little odd for your ordinary rabble type of criminal.

If you want to see how a ciminal PC (not organization) goes in Tuluk, go for it.  It has a different view from Allanak.

If you want to see, and learn, about the criminal organization in Tuluk, go for it.  Just to quench your curiosity.

If you want to play IN a criminal organization, I suggest dont pick up Tuluk.  Just dont, I strongly believe you will be disappointed.  
Suggestion:
Pick up the labyrinth, if you want to play in a mafia.  You will also find relative subtlety, as well.  Keep these in mind...

As I said, these are suggestions.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Okay, well, if we go back to the Dark Sun roots of things, we see that the bard class in the Dark Sun setting of AD&D 2E were all assassins.  The bard class gave them all the ability to make poisons.  They were often hired as gifts for other nobles...but the noble that was gifted with the bardic performance was never sure if the bard was simply sent as a performer or an assassin, so to refuse a bard was considered an insult, but all bard's were watched carefully and thus had to be good at what they did when they actually went to assassinate someone.  However, they didn't have the backstab ability, and AD&D 2E did not have an assassin class, merely a kit for rogues (basically a template that alters a class for those not familiar enough with 2E to know what I'm talking about)...but any thief could be an assassin, really.
-X-_

My favorite was the old Allanak. Back when the 'rinth actually felt like part of the city, just a really rundown and filthy place. Since it was changed, it doesn't feel at all like it's a part of the city (a really bad and rundown part). It feels more like another place entirely, I think it was much better and more realistic when it felt like a slum of the city rather than an entirely different place. (Just a maze of alleyways put there for the sole purpose of differentiating it from the rest of the city.)

I agree with others as well, the old Tuluk was much better and felt more at place within the world.

At the moment I play in both, but I stick mostly with Tuluk because remembering how 'Nak used to be before it was rewritten just disappoints me.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Usually player base of Tuluk is mostly composed of non-city characters, hunters, collectors, etc.. Other than that IMO Tuluk is more Zalanthian and ARMish than Allanak.

ARM's motto is "Death, corruption, betreyal"

Death:
  In Tuluk losing a character in city is much easier than the ones in 'nak. Yes there is no 'rinth but still it has warrens, under Tuluk. And you can pay small amounts to templarate for getting permission to kill another. Also templars are as ruthless as the 'naki, but they simply do not let many to know they killed someone unlike 'naki ones. Tuluk citizens disappear, 'naki die.

Corruption:
 If one is gentle, that does not mean he is less corrupt, sissy or patriotic. That only means he has a different style of behaving. Unlike 'naki, tuluk norms are not easy to understand. I see people try to behave all Tuluki are loyal to city-state and even does not try to bribe autorities fearing it would be consired as treason. Just the culture and methods are different, not people. After all Tuluk is in a city in Zalanthas.

Betreyal:
  You can not see twisted relations of Tuluki people if you play a hunter. It requires time to be part of it and understand the flows of the society. I personally saw more betreyals, and twisted relations in Tuluk. Just simply Tulukis do not curse and draw their weapons, they smile and wait you to turn back.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT