The use of OOC

Started by Xygax, December 07, 2004, 10:29:50 PM

The question's late, but, speaking of bracketed emotes, I can't help wondering how offended players would be by "say (Hodor) Help!"

Violation of standard emoting conventions aside, the results would still be short a comma, I think. Too bad.

You shouldn't be using anyone's name as a non-targeting ("targeting" being a PC's name/keyword preceded by ~, %, !, or any of the targeting characters) word in an emote or command emote.

Though, perhaps what you're looking for is:
>say (to ~Hodor) Help!

Which is fine, and basically equivalent to:
>tell Hodor Help!

I think what he's asking is what player reaction would be to preceding his say command with his own name.

So it would show up as,

Hodor, the tall, muscular man exclaims in sirihish,
    "Help!"

This is missing a comma to be grammatically correct (as was previously mentioned), and is also against the rules, but I think that's the spirit of his question.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

September 12, 2013, 03:54:03 PM #78 Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 03:56:11 PM by Marauder Moe
Oh, well, yeah, you shouldn't be using your own character's name in emotes or command messages either.

(I wasn't sure because that's not something Hodor would say.   :P )

Discuss this, or clarify player and staff opinions.

As the day turns to night, and two sexy people get ready to lie down, they realize, kanking is imminent
It's been a long ride back to nakkiville, and all three rangers and the massive, thick-ego-ed templar are eager to discuss their kills, and trade their spoils
Pretty much any scene that is expected to happen, should happen, would happen in the game world, but RL does not permit it

The problem, one has to leave soon, or all, so they decide, over the OOC channel how the scene unfolded, for brevity's sake. Not OOC brevity, RL brevity. A few examples:

Sexy man says, in words, 'Hey, my lover, I wanna snuggle.'

Creepy Mul says, in angry words, 'Snuggle this!'

creepy mul says, OOC'ly 'Hey, I gott go. FTB?

Sexy man says, OOC'ly 'Uh, what exactly is happening'

[i]Both begin to discuss, hopefully briefly, what sexy man was snuggling, and why creepy mul was making him snuggle. Then responses, then altered responses because it turns out Creepy Mul just need a hug, and Sexy Man was ready for something awful, etc, etc, etc.[/i]

Or
Every Breed ranger ever says, in brood, 'Look at this mek skull I have'

Perfect Templar says, 'A mek skull, really?'

Every Breed ranger ever says,OOC'ly 'I gotta go. Mom's home, and she thinks Arm is the devil.

Perfect Templar says, 'Yeah, I should have asked for consent that one time when you got her to play. Um, My Templar wants that skull. He's gonna bitch-slap you with the rod of impunity, lock you in a cell, and take it.

[i]Discussion ensues about how the scene would or should unfold[/i]

Ooooor....

(for brevity's sake)

Man A says, 'Give me that sack of food, or I'll stab you with the metal knife.'

Man M says, 'No.'

[i]Both begin discussing whether or not the paint one used is noticeable, the other says it's realistic, a lot of rp went into it blah, blah blah.[/i]

Pretty much, how in the world do you discuss things, or should you even? Sometimes, you need more info, and the OOC seems the best way to do that.

Go!
Quote from: Scarecrow on February 21, 2014, 04:45:46 PMIn Zalanthas, people don't dig graves with shovels, they dig them with their own tongues.

September 13, 2013, 01:04:27 AM #80 Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 01:09:49 AM by Marauder Moe
Quotesnuggles
Ms. Mul shouldn't be asking to FTB unless she intends a consent-worthy action.  It should just be "OOC sorry, I gotta go."  If this pseudo-sexy time is important character development, as it might be for a mul, it shouldn't happen OOCly/virtually/offline.  Log off and deal with it later, playing as though nothing unusual happened in the mean time.

Quotemek skull
In a situation where a criminal logs off in the middle of interrogation like that, the staff can have the suspect log back into a jail cell to be dealt with.  However, wanting some loot may not be a high enough priority to warrant such measures.  Templars don't always get their way ICly or OOCly.

Quotepainted knife
That OOC discussion is completely inappropriate.  Malik called Amos's bluff.  He needs to either get stabby or bugger off.

EDIT: TL;DR none of those OOC discussions are warranted.

I don't know what TL;DR means.

I appreciate the input, though.
Quote from: Scarecrow on February 21, 2014, 04:45:46 PMIn Zalanthas, people don't dig graves with shovels, they dig them with their own tongues.

It means "too long; didn't read" or "in summary".