Suggestion: "Breaking Hide" echo when doing an action that breaks hide.

Started by mansa, January 22, 2023, 04:57:56 PM

Suggestion:

"You stop trying to hide." should echo when you do an action that breaks hide, when you are currently hiding (or attempting to hide).

Examples:

>hide
You attempt to hide.

>stand
You stop trying to hide.
You are already standing.

--

>hide
You attempt to hide.

>open pack
You stop trying to hide.
You open a leather backpack.

--

>hide
You attempt to hide.

>sneak
You slow down and move carefully.

>unlatch templar's backpack
You deftly unlatch a blue-robed templar's backpack

>peek templar's backpack
Inside a blue-robed templar's backpack:
a magick potion
an obsidian gem
a small black-leather pouch

>steal pouch templar's backpack
Got it!

>draw sword
You stop trying to hide.
You draw a curved sword of bone.

New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

God, yes. Yes please.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Yes please, tell me I am no longer trying to hide.
21sters Unite!

If we'd had this maybe I wouldn't have died to that bahamet after I whispered to myself for Roleplay Flavour.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

This would be neat
The man puts his tongued, grotesque, translucent groin rig on over his eyes.

love it, though should only be for commands, not after effects (basically shouldn't allow stealth characters to check whether their hide has succeeded)

Quote from: najdorf on January 23, 2023, 09:22:47 AM
love it, though should only be for commands, not after effects (basically shouldn't allow stealth characters to check whether their hide has succeeded)

Yes, the intent is that "I am doing something (by entering a new command into the game), I should know if the something I do will break hide."

I was thinking about this scenario:
A inexperienced rogue tries to hide but fails at hiding.  They do not know they are not hiding.
They attempt to do an activity that would break hide, such as 'stand' or 'open'.

Would it be okay if the game did NOT echo that they "broke hide", because they were never hidden in the first place ?

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I think the same logic available for "You loose your concentration..." should be applied here, perhaps through a toggle?
nosave hidenotification on

> open door
> You perform an action that will break hide, if you were hidden already

Second line is displayed immediately. Whether you are hidden or not.

Quote from: mansa on January 23, 2023, 09:28:08 AM
Quote from: najdorf on January 23, 2023, 09:22:47 AM

Yes, the intent is that "I am doing something (by entering a new command into the game), I should know if the something I do will break hide."

A inexperienced rogue tries to hide but fails at hiding.  They do not know they are not hiding.
They attempt to do an activity that would break hide, such as 'stand' or 'open'.

Would it be okay if the game did NOT echo that they "broke hide", because they were never hidden in the first place ?

If this is adopted it should always give the 'you stop trying to hide'.

(not unless we want there to be anything that can give a character an idea if they successfully hid.)
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: Dracul on January 23, 2023, 09:59:46 AM
Quote from: mansa on January 23, 2023, 09:28:08 AM

If this is adopted it should always give the 'you stop trying to hide'.

(not unless we want there to be anything that can give a character an idea if they successfully hid.)

The thing is, I'm not sure if the game keeps track of a failed hide attempt, so it might not be possible to echo "You stop trying to hide" if there is no flag saying "failed hide attempt"

It would not show on a completely failed hide. However, a successful hide does not mean you're hidden well, so it would still be a wonderful echo to have. An "it's impossible to hide now" echo is already in-game as a consequence of typing 'run' while hiding, just expand it to other actions.

at the least have it show for unintended/silly things that break hide, like typing "sa" by accident, and getting back a "what do you want to say?" echo but not a "you used the say command even though you didn't talk so you are no longer hidden."
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

oh, God, yes!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: najdorf on January 23, 2023, 09:38:35 AM
I think the same logic available for "You loose your concentration..." should be applied here, perhaps through a toggle?
nosave hidenotification on

> open door
> You perform an action that will break hide, if you were hidden already

Second line is displayed immediately. Whether you are hidden or not.

Like.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

... am I the only one who thought this was already a thing?
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Iiyola on January 24, 2023, 04:30:06 AM

Yes, because nothing in the game tells you specifically that what you are doing will break your attempts at hiding.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on January 24, 2023, 10:54:35 AM

Yes, because nothing in the game tells you specifically that what you are doing will break your attempts at hiding.

I never really thought about it that way. Likewise for using a light source while hiding. I figured people would see the light source/you.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

a setting to turn this on for all actions that break hide, or a complete list of what breaks hide in the helpfile would be nice.

definitely don't want a way to know if you've failed hide without having to interact with something that actually reacts to hide. sneak and hide should require at least interacting with NPCs to train

I wonder if "hide" could be like a 'stance'. As long as you are concentrating in that stance, you are "trying to hide". Even if you fail, you're still 'trying'.

So that if you move, or speak, or do anything that would break hide, you break your concentration/stance.

Is that even a possibility of suggestion?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on January 24, 2023, 10:54:35 AM

Running while in hide gives the message, "The effort of running makes it impossible to hide."

Code is right there waiting to be used. "Xxx makes it impossible to hide"
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts