Help Death Update Discussion

Started by Jihelu, December 12, 2021, 04:28:00 PM

"Starvation/thirst death when in a clearly supported location, such as a tribe/clan hall."

Glad this is being accepted as being 'dumb' and something we can get rezzed for.

Looks like a good update overall.

Thoughts?

Here is the helpfile and here is the forum post about it

The help file/policy added this section

Notwithstanding the below not res-worthy items, when a death occurs due to situations that, when agreed upon by at least two senior staff members, does not make any realistic sense, a resurrection will be considered and the death retcon'd. Things that may fall into this category are
* Being killed by crime code when the clear intent was to not trigger it.
* Starvation/thirst death when in a clearly supported location, such as a tribe/clan hall.
* Being lead into death in some capacity while your chances to react are taken away (i.e. Link-dead)
And so on. These will not be entertained if they are done by the /dead/ players own actions. Typos, callousness, intent of PK and so on will all remain valid death causes. However, if the player of the dead PC has had those options removed due to unrealistic means, that will be considered as a separate category. Examples of things to not be entertained
* Attacking a PC/NPC (or being attacked) and then dropping link when losing, to try and seek a res from a clear, incoming death.
* Anywhere considered 'unsafe to be' in the game world. If you went there and then die, even if having dropped link, you realistically set yourself into that situation as a potential outcome.
* Any other 'Non-res worthy reasoning as listed.

Which, I think can be formatted like this:

When a death occurs due to situations that, when agreed upon by at least two senior staff members, does not make any realistic sense, a resurrection will be considered and the death retcon'd.

Things that may fall into this category are:
* Starvation/thirst death when in a clearly supported location, such as a tribe/clan hall.
* Being lead into death in some capacity while your chances to react are taken away (i.e. Link-dead)
And so on.

These will not be entertained if they are done by the /dead/ players own actions. Typos, callousness, intent of PK and so on will all remain valid death causes.
However, if the player of the dead PC has had those options removed due to unrealistic means, that will be considered as a separate category.

Examples of things to not be entertained:
* Attacking a PC/NPC (or being attacked) and then dropping link when losing, to try and seek a res from a clear, incoming death.
* Anywhere considered 'unsafe to be' in the game world. If you went there and then die, even if having dropped link, you realistically set yourself into that situation as a potential outcome.

As Brokkr said, they are simply adding additional rules to the policy of resurrections in ArmageddonMUD that allow for characters to come back from the dead.

This is good for the continual storylines of the game.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Our interface to maintain helpfiles is really wonky.  Do not expect that we can format things like a normal website.

This is a fantastic change; thanks so much.

Don't think this would have affected any of my past PC deaths, but it's really sad to see a PC bite it in a dubious manner. Great for staff to untie their hands a bit here.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

I'm proud to be a member of staff during a time where such reasonable policies are being introduced to the game. We would do well to remember that games are for fun.

Quote from: Jahash on December 13, 2021, 08:02:57 AM
I'm proud to be a member of staff during a time where such reasonable policies are being introduced to the game. We would do well to remember that games are for fun.
for real! There's lots of things that felt like immutable ancient lore policy that just totally sucked. Knowing that staff is committed to making things better is such a boon.

Exceedingly happy to see this shift in "Rules are immutable" to "Just trying to build a fun story together".
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Quote from: Jahash on December 13, 2021, 08:02:57 AM

Wish I had more free time to devote to Armageddon, honestly this new approach to the game is incredibly refreshing.

Awesome change.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

This looks like a clear win-win to me.  Good stuff!
Labor omnia vincit - "(Hard) work conquers all."

Mostly because I don't have the old Help Death helpfile in front of me to compare with -- What changed?

From what I can see it's that Staff is more willing to entertain mitigating circumstances for resurrections, while pointing out that user error is not typically a cause for resurrections (going to dangerous places, etc). Whereas before...It was much harder and faster that if you die (even from server wide lag) you are dead. Is that the gist?
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: Veselka on December 13, 2021, 11:05:25 PM
Mostly because I don't have the old Help Death helpfile in front of me to compare with -- What changed?

From what I can see it's that Staff is more willing to entertain mitigating circumstances for resurrections, while pointing out that user error is not typically a cause for resurrections (going to dangerous places, etc). Whereas before...It was much harder and faster that if you die (even from server wide lag) you are dead. Is that the gist?
Mansa summarized the new stuff in his post.

Basically beforehand if your death wasnt caused by a bug, no matter the realism of the scenario, you'd die. So if your noble dies of dehydration in their own dining hall cuz youre on sleep meds and pass out, you were gone for good.

The rule as it was stated before backed us in to a corner where we couldn't make exceptions, period.  The rule now gives us the flexibility to make exceptions in rare circumstances.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Awesome! Love it.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: mansa on December 12, 2021, 04:58:54 PM
The help file/policy added this section

Notwithstanding the below not res-worthy items, when a death occurs due to situations that, when agreed upon by at least two senior staff members, does not make any realistic sense, a resurrection will be considered and the death retcon'd. Things that may fall into this category are
And so on. These will not be entertained if they are done by the /dead/ players own actions. Typos, callousness, intent of PK and so on will all remain valid death causes. However, if the player of the dead PC has had those options removed due to unrealistic means, that will be considered as a separate category. Examples of things to not be entertained
* Any other 'Non-res worthy reasoning as listed.

Which, I think can be formatted like this:

When a death occurs due to situations that, when agreed upon by at least two senior staff members, does not make any realistic sense, a resurrection will be considered and the death retcon'd.

Things that may fall into this category are:
And so on.

These will not be entertained if they are done by the /dead/ players own actions. Typos, callousness, intent of PK and so on will all remain valid death causes.
However, if the player of the dead PC has had those options removed due to unrealistic means, that will be considered as a separate category.

Examples of things to not be entertained:

As Brokkr said, they are simply adding additional rules to the policy of resurrections in ArmageddonMUD that allow for characters to come back from the dead.

This is good for the continual storylines of the game.

Absolutely LOVE THIS!  Thank you to all the powers that be for the love.

One other thing.. (snickers)  The thing that I love the most.. (snickers some more)  If you go to the Armageddon.org home page and click the "Search" button, then type in Help Death.. (Last little snicker)  the City-elf help file comes up above the actual Death help file   ;D
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Quote from: zealus on December 13, 2021, 02:06:52 PM
Exceedingly happy to see this shift in "Rules are immutable" to "Just trying to build a fun story together".

Absolutely agreed.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.