HRPT - NEW STYLE OF PLAY

Started by mansa, June 26, 2006, 11:56:51 PM

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20094

I Like the outline.  TWO THUMBS UP!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

This is where I make the big frown face and sigh heavily.

:-(

/me sighs.

Yeah, I'm kinda /lesigh too. Although it's going to make for some dang good stories.

GO HOME TEAM!
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Sorry, my darlings.  I held out as long as I could tonight... I guess I'm just getting old.

- Bluefae, who remembers when an all-nighter and work in the morning was no big deal
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

:arrow: Since this might take more than one day, will future events be carried out the same hour each day, until the HRPT finally comes to a halt?

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I believe that it's...whoever is available at the time will be attending.

I actually kind of like it.  More small encounters, rather than -everyone- killing -everyone- at once.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I love the idea.

This is the coolest HRPT idea ever!
some of my posts are serious stuff

This is an intresting new concept. I think will go great, of course it being new may be kinks in system and such. Hopefully hear how imms thought turned out after all said and done.

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

A General Descussion of the HRPT opinion.....

We the players make the world come to life.  The staff has come up with an incredible opportunity for us.  Yay staff!

For this style of HRPT to work, the staff must be on hand for silly little small things. (And as I've encountered, they are)  

The Leaders in this HRPT will make or break it's success.  I've watches 10 hours of play and feel that players are going to need some riddlen.
-Yc

This changes the HRPT a bit, from the 'WARISHELLMASSCONFUSIONNPCSGANKINGONEPCATATIME' to more of a fantasy war, I believe, where PCs will drop one at a time, in smaller and smaller battles.  It'll have true heros and true villians.  I really, really, really like it.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

We've moved from Napoleonic warfare to modern combat.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

It's almost like a contrast between something like the first World War and the second.  The first was characterized by men being blindly sent to their deaths in mass battle, but the second was more strategic and planned out (think Normandy or something like that).
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

Quote from: "Hexxaex"It's almost like a contrast between something like the first World War and the second.  The first was characterized by men being blindly sent to their deaths in mass battle, but the second was more strategic and planned out (think Normandy or something like that).

Actually I was kind of thinking of the trenches in France in WWI. This reminds me more of that.

Quote from: "Cegar"We've moved from Napoleonic warfare to modern combat.

Which is good or bad?

I personally think this will be a really neat thing to experience, whether it works out and we continue doing this all the time or not.

I'm a huge fan of tactics, almost all the games I have on my computer are RTS style, and having Armageddon played out as one (the combat, at least) will only make it seem better.

This also puts the PC leaders in charge, to pull off actual tactics with specific objectives in mind (at least that's how I understand it will work).

So, awesome idea, staff. I look forward to participating in this.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

A big complain about the past HRPTs is that the conclusion was always pre-determined even before the event started and players didn't have much impact. Now that its up to the players to determine who wins and how and why, let's not start another complaining about this and that thread :)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: "Malken"...the conclusion was always pre-determined even before the event started and players didn't have much impact.

That's actually not quite true.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"
Quote from: "Hexxaex"It's almost like a contrast between something like the first World War and the second.  The first was characterized by men being blindly sent to their deaths in mass battle, but the second was more strategic and planned out (think Normandy or something like that).

Actually I was kind of thinking of the trenches in France in WWI. This reminds me more of that.

WWI trench warefare was just a war of attrition, slowly wearing down at the enemy.  When soldiers were sent over the top to attack the other trench, there was no planning, but yeah, the fact that both armies are stationed and will be there for a long time is like trench warefare.  Main difference is that any offensives will be tactically planned.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

This is awesome, but, clear one thing up for me:
Is the whole battle going to happen in one specific HRPT, or are there going to be lots of little skirmishes n stuff that will go over a large period of RL time?

Quote from: "Lavalamps"This is awesome, but, clear one thing up for me:
Is the whole battle going to happen in one specific HRPT, or are there going to be lots of little skirmishes n stuff that will go over a large period of RL time?

That's up to the players involved and how many are on.  It could, it couldn't.  We can only wait and see.  I believe the latter, though.

I'd imagine there will be lots of varied battles. One on one fights, even, if sentries stumble on each other.

And probably a few major engagements.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: "Lavalamps"This is awesome, but, clear one thing up for me:

My money is on both.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

I think this is a wonderful idea. I hope to see a number of smaller conflicts before things end, so that off-peakers and peakers alike can get a piece of the action. This is so sexy, it hurts.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

This is so exciting then!
The possibilities are endless!
War heroes,
valiant rescues,
corageous charges,
espionage and assassinations,
templars fighting in huge epic battles...
Maybe even some magicker involvement!

One sec, I gotta go to the bathroom :P

I've changed my mind, this HRPT sucks because I'm stuck at work instead of being at home where I might get to see/hear things happen. Blah.

Curse you, Halaster, for creating something so intriguing.