HRPT - NEW STYLE OF PLAY

Started by mansa, June 26, 2006, 11:56:51 PM

I'd rather see SimWar for awhile.  So you might go into the "No Man's Land" between the two and see if you can ambush the other side's troops...but they might ambush you.  Patrols, sentries, all that sort of thing.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: "Twilight"I'd rather see SimWar for awhile.  So you might go into the "No Man's Land" between the two and see if you can ambush the other side's troops...but they might ambush you.  Patrols, sentries, all that sort of thing.

This is exactly what we're trying to accomplish.  Instead of a one-night massive battle where everyone dies and we have to approve 65 apps the next day, it's a drawn-out thing that could last RL days or weeks or who knows.. months.  RPTS will happen very, very often - maybe even nightly, or a good four or five times a week.  They may be small, they may be big.  The catch, though, is that there may not be much warning or announcement - it's really going to be one of those "whoever is online right now, is who's invovled".

PC leaders are in complete control, so it's really up to them (they of course have been given operating guidelines) - I don't know what they're going to do.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

I like it.
And when they say that I am dead and gone, it won't be further from the truth..."

Say the word, and I will scan my breasts for you, Halaster.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

You should post them as a reward for all of us that survived the HRPT, bloodfromstone. ;)
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

"bird is the word"

Quote from: "Malken"A big complain about the past HRPTs is that the conclusion was always pre-determined even before the event started and players didn't have much impact. Now that its up to the players to determine who wins and how and why, let's not start another complaining about this and that thread :)

This is completely not true.

I have -personally- pooched Halaster's carefully laid plans during an HRPT before. See the history files.

I'd blame it 70% on unexpected code issues, and 30% on just being a screwup ICly ;)

Quote from: "Halaster"
.. it's a drawn-out thing that could last RL days or weeks or who knows.. months.

Make it stay like forever!

Pretty please?

I can give you pickles.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Should we have some IC rumor boards in the army camps?  I think that might be a nice addition, give players with different log in times updates to what is going on.  Might stir up camp life too if there is regular news to get.

Yes I know this can be done IC but people have different playtimes and may never speak about it.  A rumor board would be nice and people could still search around for better details ICly.

That is a great idea.
eeling YB, you think:

Quote from: "SpyGuy"Should we have some IC rumor boards in the army camps?  I think that might be a nice addition, give players with different log in times updates to what is going on.  Might stir up camp life too if there is regular news to get.

Yes I know this can be done IC but people have different playtimes and may never speak about it.  A rumor board would be nice and people could still search around for better details ICly.

Already done, they went in this morning.

*fires up the Way to squeeze all the interesting news out of friends*
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: "Halaster"
Quote from: "SpyGuy"Should we have some IC rumor boards in the army camps?  I think that might be a nice addition, give players with different log in times updates to what is going on.  Might stir up camp life too if there is regular news to get.

Already done, they went in this morning.

Rock on.

Hot.
eeling YB, you think:

QuoteI can give you pickles.

Did I just get offered up as a sacrifice?
I hope life isn't just one big joke, because I don't get it.  -- Jack Handy

... For a good cause.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "spawnloser"You should post them as a reward for all of us that survived the HRPT, bloodfromstone. ;)

I concur
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Quote from: "picklehead"
QuoteI can give you pickles.

Did I just get offered up as a sacrifice?

Don't worry, honey, you'll be the cutest sacrificial victim, ever.   :wink:  I'll make it go so quickly it won't hurt... much.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

GO ALLANAK!!!111!!!

The female Allanak fan dances and shakes her pompons.

p.s. Awesome idea and implementation, this might even renew a friend's interest in the MUD.

That is all.

Let's get this thread back on topic, otherwise it's lock material.

Quote from: "Halaster"Let's get this thread back on topic, otherwise it's lock material.

I really like what I've been seeing going on from the players. I haven't seen imm-side things yet, but I've never seen such a military feel of things in game than I have at one of the camps.

Right now I dislike the HRPT. City life, even within the normally most busy and popular areas, appears to be dead despite a high number of players logged in.

The HRPT is hard on city-bound characters. However, there are ways to get involved in the action even from a distance. If your character is a loyalist to his/her city--explore what you can do with that. There's undoubtedly something. If your character's not loyal at all, then I dunno--maybe make something fun happen in the taverns one night? Something to divert all the city folk from the thought of war.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Solo rp tends to bore me after max 30 minutes, heh. And I guess for the unlucky PCs who have not gotten a chance to interact with anyone at all, they might have trouble even finding out where the HRPT takes place, or finding out how to get there.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"The HRPT is hard on city-bound characters.

My concern right now is that the HRPT is particularly hard on the most vulnerable of the player base, namely the brand new player.  As I sat alone in the Gaj looking at a link dead newbie, it hit me. Where are the people to interact with them?  I would suggest if you have to solo in a tavern waiting on other players, solo where newbies would pop. We still need new players.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]