Bulky items

Started by Cuusardo, May 31, 2006, 11:20:29 AM

I am SO glad that this has been put in to the game that I could give a big wet sloppy smooch to the person who installed it.  Hopefully this will put a stop to those twinky burglars who clean out entire apartments, including the furniture.  I've always thought it should he VERY obvious when someone's dragging a couch out of an apartment building and down the road.  Woo hoo!
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I as well love it.  Awesome addition.

However.. one small request..

If they're not carrying anything obvious at the moment, could we remove the 'Blah is carrying: nothing obvious' line from the 'look' output?

It just looks really cluttered and a bit jarring, to me.

Quote from: "Delirium"I as well love it.  Awesome addition.

However.. one small request..

If they're not carrying anything obvious at the moment, could we remove the 'Blah is carrying: nothing obvious' line from the 'look' output?

It just looks really cluttered and a bit jarring, to me.

I'd bug that, Delirium.  Or maybe use the Idea command.  Or maybe the Request tool.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

i now see this
An inix is reclining here.
- he is carrying a large bag.

i am pretty sure bag is empty, and thus not bulky then the inix, so that might be a bug? or?

MAGICKERS EVERYWHERE! It is going to take a while to get used to it, I have freaked out three times so far.

A mul is carrying obsidian here.
-He has a few large chunks of obsidian.

Uh.. yea?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I hate the bullet point system of listing magickal effects and think it's tacky and h&s.

This is also tacky.

BUT IT IS USEFUL.

So I forgive.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
The rest of you, if you see a blingy, buff brunette-blonde pair hanging out together pretty soon at your local bar, just...it's nothing. Move along. (Do not hit on them.)

Quote from: "Wish"I hate the bullet point system of listing magickal effects and think it's tacky and h&s.

This is also tacky.

BUT IT IS USEFUL.

So I forgive.

I like it, because it's straight to the point and useful.  There are alternatives of course, but I like this the best for a text-based game.

We could:

The tall, lanky elf is standing here, carrying a huge, fluffy couch.

But that kind of overrides your ability to customize your ldesc.

What other suggestions do you have if you don't like the current one?
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Perhaps a different character than '-' could be used.

The tall, generic man is standing here.
^He is carrying a large fluffy sofa.

#He is carrying a large fluffy sofa.

%He is carrying a large fluffy sofa.

$He is carrying a large fluffy sofa.

I entered the game without reading GDB first. I saw a mul carrying some obsidian and I said "Magi.. obsidian?"

It's a great addition.. Now I don't need to emote about the two large bags I'm dragging for all people who enter and leave. People looking at me will see them.

Edited to add: The message is fairly different from the messages spells add. I don't think it'll cause any confusion when people get used to it. I'm against changing the current system. I want my change ldesc.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Halaster"
Quote from: "Wish"I hate the bullet point system of listing magickal effects and think it's tacky and h&s.

This is also tacky.

BUT IT IS USEFUL.

So I forgive.

I like it, because it's straight to the point and useful.  There are alternatives of course, but I like this the best for a text-based game.

We could:

The tall, lanky elf is standing here, carrying a huge, fluffy couch.

But that kind of overrides your ability to customize your ldesc.

What other suggestions do you have if you don't like the current one?

I actually like the ldesc changer.  If you've got something that bulky in your inventory, there isn't much else you'd want to set as your ldesc anyway, if you're being fair.  

It saves me from constantly doing 'change ldesc stands here, carrying a neon purple basket.' (as I used to do before the change), and looks far less jarring than using the same tags that are used for many magickal effects.

The shopping list of magick effects has it's uses, yes, if you want to immediately know what those blinding, glimmering, shimmering, sparkling auras all seperately are, but I think it could be abreviated, put into ldesc.  Because really, seeing the bullet pointed list of many things is a little jarring to the "story" feel and flow of the game.

So, for your consideration:

The superhero sorcerer is standing here, glowing with a bright light.

The paralyzing defiler is flying here, surrounded by a multitude of auras.

When you LOOK DEFILER, then you can get the shopping list of auras, the individual items he is carrying, what his feet are doing and so on.

At the very least, if we must have bullet points, let's keep it to one to try and avoid the powerpoint.

The paralyzing defiler is flying here.
- she is carrying a couch.

The paralyzing defiler is flying here.
- She is surrounded by many auras, and is carrying a mekillot.

The paralyzing defiler is standing here.
- She is carrying many large items.

Yes, I'm sorry for the minor derail and meanderment into magick code, but I think the idea has application in both cases.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

It's awesome as it is, I think.

I completely agree with LauraMars's take on the situation. The way it is now looks practical, but I think some of the real-time story feel is sacrificed. I'd rather a vaguer description such as she outlines with the ability to follow up with look.

I like it the way it is, being able to add in an ldesc.  You never know when you might
need to add even more detail to the scene.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: "Intrepid"I like it the way it is, being able to add in an ldesc.  You never know when you might need to add even more detail to the scene.

Old Road [EW]

>e

Old Road [EW]
The lanky elf stands here, whistling and looking at the sky.
-he is carrying your dining room table.

I find it no more jarring than having [NESW] at the end of the room title.

I really like it the way it is.  And not just because I can now walk right past you with my bags and shining magickal aura, and you probably won't bother to read that I do in fact have a shining magickal aura.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Knowing what I know about magick, I'm fine with the way things are.  I just have to agree with Delirium on the removing the carrying nothing message.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

While I can see Laura's point about the 'laundry list' and interrupting the flow of the feel of the game, I'm left to wonder how it is any different than your equipment list?

A human Tuluki soldier is using:
<worn on head>           a pimp hat
<neck>                   some bling bling
<worn on torso>          a ratty vest
<worn on hands>          a pair of black leather gloves
<primary hand>           a bone longsword
<secondary hand>         a nose-picking device
<worn on legs>           a pair of leather pants from the 80's
<worn on feet>           a pair of bunny slippers

I'm not necessarily against the ideas people are having, I just don't see how they'd help, considering other things.. that's my point.

In fact, back in the day when we first added the extra line for when you see people in a room, the very point was to be jarring.  What is being displayed should be painfully obvious.  More obvious than what they're wearing or anything.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "spawnloser"Knowing what I know about magick, I'm fine with the way things are.  I just have to agree with Delirium on the removing the carrying nothing message.

Yeah... if they're carrying nothing, why show it?  That's my take on it.

Mainly because the precedence was set with other things that listed out other people's inventory (peek).  We changed the output to be 'nothing obvious' to make it clear.  We could burn a few more cpu cycles (and time coding it) to remove the message, but you know what, I bet in a week you won't even notice it anymore.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

This has always been a peev of mine, people treating their inventory as an invisible bag of holding.  Nothing like peeking at some dainty noble's inventory while he or she is sipping win and relaxing and see that they are carrying 3 gaj shells.

I like the change a lot, thanks Morg.

Quote from: "Morgenes"Mainly because the precedence was set with other things that listed out other people's inventory (peek).  We changed the output to be 'nothing obvious' to make it clear.  We could burn a few more cpu cycles (and time coding it) to remove the message, but you know what, I bet in a week you won't even notice it anymore.

I'll take that bet and raise you a special apped defiler-psionic mul.

But, yeah, I see your point.  My main beef is that, for me, it interrupts that 'story' feel as LM put it.

Quote from: "Delirium"But, yeah, I see your point.  My main beef is that, for me, it interrupts that 'story' feel as LM put it.

I'm with Halaster, I don't see how it's any more jarring than the equipment list.

And yes, I'm from the crowd that would rather see everything written out as paragraphs instead of the neatly formatted equipment lists we have, I agree that the story-mode is more asthetically pleasing, but harder to parse.

If I get enough momentum I may make that be an option (paragraph/story mode) for equipment and inventory.

So instead of:
Quote from: "Example"You are carrying:
42 obsidian pieces
a rough canvas backpack
a few tendrils of shaggy numut vine
a long-handled, flint lumber axe

you would get:
Quote from: "Paragraph/Story mode"You are carrying 42 obsidian pieces, a rough canvas backpack, a few tendrils of shaggy numut vine, and a long-handled, flint lumber axe.

Feel free to mail me if you would like to see Armageddon this way and if I get enough mail I'll consider adding it as an option.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I like the way everything is displayed when looking at someone. I'd prefer it if you didn't automatically get the message they're carrying something whenever you walk into the room, though. I'm sure it might be sort of obvious, but I'd rather it was restricted to being displayed when looking at someone.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

Couldn't it just be tacked on to the ldesc and then considered to be the "code-generated long description?"  So that, overriding the ldesc would also override the things being held, allowing for customization?  Seems to make sense to me.

Also,
Quote from: "Morgenes"I bet in a week you won't even notice it anymore.

The non-descript man is in excellent condition.

Wouldn't you assume that he was in excellent condition?  I didn't just glance at him down the bar expecting him to be bleeding from his eyesockets.  But no one notices this anymore.  QED?

Editted because formatting doesn't work in Code.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.