Bulky items

Started by Cuusardo, May 31, 2006, 11:20:29 AM

And I don't think that having a different character would be confusing at all as the following text would make it's meaning clear.

One other problem with using the ldesc (sorry if anyone mentioned this already) is that someone could be injured and carrying something bulky.  And then the ldesc would get pretty clunky.

I like the change, although a different character than - wouldn't hurt, as far as I can see.

One other thought that came to mind, when I saw this change, is that this could be the solution to the oft-mentioned situation of the naked PC.

a scrawny, wart-nosed dwarf is here.
- He is naked as the day he was born.
- He is carrying a bulky, mek-leather couch.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

To further my case for an alternate character... let's face it: Armageddon presents us with a LOT of text and over time players' eyes learn to ignore much of it.  Having a special character mark a section that can have many different meanings with different levels of significance forces you to read more than you should have to at a glance (>look).  

Would having several different types of roomdesc attribute marks like this:
The generic old sorceror is sanding here, striking a dramatic pose.
-He is engulfed in really cool magick flames.
-A tiny, evil-looking demon floats about his head.
+He is carrying a yellow, rolled-up tent.
+He is carrying a long, pink beach umbrella.
^He is armed.
^He is naked.

really be worse than
-He is engulfed in really cool magick flames.
-A tiny, evil-looking demon floats about his head.
-He is carrying a yellow, rolled-up tent.
-He is carrying a long, pink beach umbrella.
-He is armed.
-He is naked.
?

It's the same number of special characters, except with the first one you can easily discern which types are immediately relevent to you.  Like, if you came across him in the desert, you'd probably be worried about his evil magick, but if he was your buddy living in the cave next door and you see him walking about on fire every day you'd wonder why he's naked and carrying a yellow tent.

Also, I would be in favor of grouping attributes by type.
-He is engulfed in really cool magick flames.  A tiny, evil-looking demon floats about his head.
+He is carrying a yellow, rolled-up tent.  He is carrying a long, pink beach umbrella.
^He is armed.  He is naked

I don't think I've seen any reply that answers this question, so...

I think it would be a lot more clean if you only saw if they were carrying large objects by actually looking at them.

Either that or you only see -gigantic- objects automatically (like a bed or dresser, though this seems fine the way it is because you'll already get the message: ...is here, carrying the bed), and you see smaller, but still large objects when you look at them. That would represent you actually staring at them a moment, instead of automagickally seeing what they're carrying.

I don't think carrying a basket or backpack would be so obvious that you need an automatic tag. Just for the really bulky things like chairs and tables.

So...maybe up the weight it takes to qualify as a bulky object, or flag certain awkward objects that would be noticed no matter what?

Another idea could be when you look at someone and you see their equipment, you could have something like:

look guy
This guy is a guy. He is by no means a girl, but a guy. He is guyish, and has guy features. Do not mistake him for a guy.
The guy is in sexcellent condition

<worn around body>     a guyish cloak
<worn on legs>         furry pants
<worn on feet>         furry boots
<carrying>             an elephant
[and if needed...]
<carrying>             another elephant
[etc.]

Could work, non?
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

One of the points to this change, oh long-necked rodent, is that these are things you SHOULD notice almost immediately.  You walk into the room and some human that is strong enough to carry a couch has one in his inventory...should you have to get a close look to see this couch, or would the fact that this guy has a couch under his arm be the reason that you look at the guy in the first place?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Seeing things automatically is fine, I simply think you should only see the things automatically that are large (like a couch, bed, chair, etc.) Other than that, I have no idea what to do about the output when it is actually put to the screen. Just not
"-", IMHO.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

I'll weigh my 2 inflated sid in here a moment.

For me I have zero problem with the way the code was implemented.  I find it succinct and easy on the eyes. I read to see if this is something of concern.  I do however understand that there are people that like to have certian things stand out for them.  I'm all in favor of having them do this on the client side, but using the same bullet point does not give the ability to create a regex statement to parse out the item they want to stand out.

In this I would support having a seperate bullet symbol to differentiate magickal verses mundane effects. Just please make the bullet something bullet-ish looking. Something like *, #, or +.  No %, ^, or &. And I would keep it limited to two types, magick or mundane.  This way they can get their client to have magickal effects stand out and sing a song if thats what floats their boat.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

And I think that & is the least jarring to the game.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Use your client to change {- %1 is carrying} to something else then; gah, the whining.

Neat addition, though I'm in the camp that thinks ldesc should get wiped to reflect the bulky item(s).

EDIT:  Actually, on second thought, I'm assuming a <look direction> will show the information if someone is in an adjacent room carrying a mainframe - nix above for consistency.  Verticals all the way.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "Flaming Ocotillo"When the code was first introduced, you could look at yourself and see which items were appearing as "bulky" on your character. After the MUD reboot by Morgenes, it appears as though you can no longer look at yourself to find out what items appear bulky. Is this intentional?

I'm imagine a character would be aware of how bulky an item is for them, whereas the player doesn't easily know without checking the code (i.e. certain water containers are appearing bulky when filled but not bulky when less full, which is hard to judge).

Again, is this intentional?

It was intentional, yes.

Quote from: "Xygax"It was intentional, yes.

I think the GDB cut off your explanation, for some reason.

What was the reason, again?

You asked if it was intentional, not if I had an explanation.  I don't, and I didn't make the change, but I am certain that the change was intentional, because I specifically remember it being discussed.

-- X

Quote from: "Xygax"You asked if it was intentional, not if I had an explanation.  I don't, and I didn't make the change, but I am certain that the change was intentional, because I specifically remember it being discussed.

-- X

Thanks for the info. That was the part I thought got deleted from your post, but I appreciate you sticking it in.