Masks

Started by Xan, July 01, 2004, 03:55:52 PM

Should masks that cover up mdescs conceal keywords?

Yes!
49 (62%)
No!
25 (31.6%)
Masks...huh?
5 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Voting closed: July 01, 2004, 03:55:52 PM

What is to stop a "Shit covered bynner" Talking guy from speaking perfent anal noble for a raid?

If, ~if~ done right then it would be cool. But i doubt many would play it right so... yea..
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Quote from: "sacac"What is to stop a "Shit covered bynner" Talking guy from speaking perfent anal noble for a raid?

If, ~if~ done right then it would be cool. But i doubt many would play it right so... yea..

Huh?

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"
Quote from: "sacac"What is to stop a "Shit covered bynner" Talking guy from speaking perfent anal noble for a raid?

Huh?

it was more related to another thread than this one, -but- nonetheless, it would be a neat way to throw people off the raiders scent if he changed the way his talk, ASSUMING the victims didn't abuse seeing his mdesc.

In a perfect world everyone would shit out gold, too.

Let's be real, that sure ain't happenin'. Every pc has 100% memory retention rate, since they never forget a face, and can somehow pinpoint a masked, hooded figure out of a crowd of possible hundreds.

Bleeber.

Just as an Example, on the other RPI mud that seems popular, 'everyones' cloak will hide thier mdesc when raised.

Yes Everyones.

There is a study skill, and with that you can stare at a person, looking intently into thier hood and at them to make out mdesc features.

I love it, and it works well.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I know what your talking about, it's one feature of that mud that I do like...there a several others that I don't...but that is a very nice one.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

A glorious solution:

Using the same code that scrambles languages, scramble main descriptions when masks are used.

The "language" skill used to unscramble the descriptions, would be peek.  If you have a very high peek skill, even though someone is wearing a disguise, you'll be able to read their main description fairly well to get identifying features out of it.  If you lack the peek skill, your character's perception is not keen enough in this case to visually pick out identifying features beyond whats seen through Assess -v, so all you'll see is a scrambled mess.

How's that for a solution?

Shitty.  You again tip the hand to rogues.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Once again, things are tipping towards rogues, eh?

I don't know how often you actually -play- someone on the other side of the law, but things are so heavily leaned against them, it's not even funny.  I'm not saying that this is bad, considering some circumstances, but just the crimcode and it's efficiency is too brutal.  Right now, you can get past the crimcode if you're good.

But then, the players are the ones who bring you down.  One sees your short description, and holy shit, that describes -only- you in this city of five hundred thousand or whatever.  Asking for a way for resourceful characters, -not- just rogues, to overcome the recognition that comes to easily, is not too much to ask, in my own opinion.

As for the peek recognition...who knows?  It's a reason to hire a few shadiers types to work for you.  Less independent rogues means less people going around terrorizing mindlessly, as people seem to think -all- rogues do.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Make scan and peek the language skills, perhaps.

It's a very nice suggestion, though it probably needs some thought to make it workable.

Good suggestion, don't like that it takes the peek skill.

As to playing on the other side of the law, bullshit, just like any guild it is tough in the beginning and if you don't use your head, after a while it becomes extremly easy.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I don't care what skill its based on.  Peek, scan, straight wisdom stat, cooking...whatever...I'd like to hear people's opinions on the solution.

I dont like it to be based on a skill as that would mean certain classes/subclasses would never fail at it after a certain point while others would always be stuck in a rut.  I like the idea of a study command that should have a decent delay and be fully visible so that the raider could retaliate if they wish.  Have study descramble some of the mdesc, enough to give good details if the person takes time to decipher it.

But I like the ideas  :D

Scrambling only works if you trust other players, and the point of scrambling is that you don't trust other players.  

Quote from: "Xan"I dont like it to be based on a skill as that would mean certain classes/subclasses would never fail at it after a certain point while others would always be stuck in a rut.  I like the idea of a study command that should have a decent delay and be fully visible so that the raider could retaliate if they wish.  Have study descramble some of the mdesc, enough to give good details if the person takes time to decipher it.

Same paragraph with ROT 13:

V qbag yvxr vg gb or onfrq ba n fxvyy nf gung jbhyq zrna regnva ynffrf/fhopynffrf
    jbhyq arire snvy ng vg nsgre n pregnva cbvag juvyr bguref jbhyq nyjnlf or fghpx va n ehg. V yvxr gur vqrn bs n fghql pbzznaq gung fubhyq unir n qrprag qrynl naq or shyyl ivfvoyr fb gung gur envqre pbhyq ergnyvngr vs gurl jvfu. Unir fghql qrfpenzoyr fbzr bs gur zqrfp, abhtu gb tvir tbbq qrgnvyf vs gur crefba gnxrf gvzr gb qrpvcure vg.

The hoards of players that are (apparently) cutting and pasting mdescs so that they can perfectly identify people later can still do that, and with a simple comparison have a pretty good chance of identifying a scrambled paragraph based on punctuation and how long the words and spaces are.

I don't know how the desc snippers manage it though.  I often have trouble identifying other characters that have gone to the trouble to tell me their names, and I run into other PCs that have forgotten my PCs names as well.  I guess not every PC has 100% memory retention after all.  Keeping a file of mdescs so that you can identify everyone you've ever seen seems like an awful lot of work for a very small gain.  But that's just me.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I'm bad.. :)
I don't keep anyone's sdesc until they introduce themselves a second time :P

I love wizturbo's suggestion.
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

I like the idea, however, to stop from the cutting
and pasting like AC said, why not have all the
masks give the same generic scrambled
mdesc?
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: "Krath"I like the idea, however, to stop from the cutting
and pasting like AC said, why not have all the
masks give the same generic scrambled
mdesc?

Or change your mdesc to what the cloak looks like, or something.

Both would defeat the purpose of the original suggestion..

And while I think contacting 'figure' is pretty cheapo, I do have a suggestion for those men of mystery that want to keep their minds intact: barrier.

It exists for a reason, yes?

Someone else had earlier said that it would be tipping things in the rogue's favor. Wrong, there are too many things tipped against them, IC some are fine...but there are others such as this subject which are unfairly OOCly against them.

Another is people who decide because they felt a hand in their pocket and you were the only pc on a busy street full of vnpcs up the wazzoo it MUST be YOU out of ALL those people.
Then the stupid OOC-info-abusing, TWINK newbie goes around telling every other pc in the known world that they caught you with your hand in their pocket...when in FACT...IC'ly they did not.
This just happened to my pc last night and I'm still pissed as hell about it, it could potentially have ruined everything for my pc when things were going well up until now. :evil:

Some people should've been abortions.

Abortion is not something to joke about.
There is nothing wrong with a "twink newbie" who decides to accuse you of trying to steal from him; it's no different than a seasoned player who decides to accuse you of stealing just for kicks.
I've played nothing but rougish type characters since I first started this game, and I can honestly say that it isn't very difficult to be sucessful. If you're having problems, then try harder. Don't blame it on the flaws of the code.

There is most definitely something wrong with it when they are only accusing you because you happen to be the only pc on a crowded street with them...they are IGNORING VNPCS...which is terrible RP.
They are using the OOC info that you are the only one codedly who could've stolen from them...that's ABUSING OOC KNOWLEDGE.

People IRL get accused of crimes they didn't commit all the time. Some of these crimes happen during the day with plenty of people all around. If someone's wallet gets stolen, that person is going to suspect someone around him. IG, the description of the room doesn't go into detail as to where the VNPCs are. It could be that you were the only person, NPC or not, that was around him.

People use OOC knowledge for benefits IG all the time. If you go exploring with one character and find out that there's an insta-death bottomless pit somewhere, you're probably not going to take another character back to that hole.

QuotePeople use OOC knowledge for benefits IG all the time.

Doesn't make it right, in fact it goes against the rules of the game AFAIK.

The fact of the matter is, he could've accused anyone of the vnpcs on the street when he felt a hand in his pocket, but he chose to accuse my pc because OOC he knew it had to have been me....why?
To make use of the OOC info and get revenge ICly. It's the only reason for doing it.
It's not like he had no OOC info to go on when he made the accusation, that's something different entirely, not at all the same thing.
It wasn't just rp that his pc decided to accuse me...it was the use of OOC info.
Very shitty any way you cut it.

It's akin to going and getting someone else's corpse because they told you the player OOC it was there, even though your pc didn't just find it on their own.

Players are going to learn from their mistakes. Asking them to discard basic survival knowledge they recieved from playing past characters is ridiculous. Your first character may go wandering out of the city with no water and die. Your second character is going to bring water. Where do you think the desire to bring water came from?