Thirsty!

Started by Agent_137, June 30, 2004, 10:41:33 PM

>
You are thirsty.
You are dehydrated.
You begin to suffer from thirst!

>

wtf. Why can't these be spaced out a little more? Hmm?!?

I was riding with a group in the desert.  Did lag catch up? What? Why? This is the second time it has happened all at once. Maybe I missed some signs earlier? I'm pretty sure I didn't.

It probably is a code issue.  I'll give examples:

You are thirsty happens at -10
You are dehydrated happens at -13
You begin to suffer from thirst happens at -15

You're wandering around inside A BAR

Your thirsty 'level' ticks off slowly.  About 1 mark every timer ticket, let's say, once every 7 RL minutes.

You would go from 0, to -1, to -2.

Once you get to -10, it would pop up with, 'You are thirsty.'
Then at -13, it would pop up with, 'You are Dehydrated.'

That's normal.

However.

In the deep dark desert...it's not the same 'quality' as it is in the city.  It's more like 4 ticks every time the ticket hits the mark.

So, it would go from 0 to -4 to -8 to -12 and so on.

Perhaps you were at -9.  The ticket hit.  You jumped to -13.  It would give you the measure that would happen at -10 as well as -13.  

It's just a code issue.  Meh.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

or they do when it hits lets says -15
it triggers the one at -10 and -13 also?
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Yes.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I'll have to dock you 50 points for incorrect usage of 'wtf'.  'wtf' should only be used when you have a real reason for being upset.

Quote from: "CRW"I'll have to dock you 50 points for incorrect usage of 'wtf'.  'wtf' should only be used when you have a real reason for being upset.

WTF!!!!!1

I would suggest either an additional message, you are getting thirsty be inserted earlier, or the current message be moved back a few ticks.  This would not effect when you actually have to drink to avoid coded consequences, it would just warn you a little earlier.  (which may result in PCs drinking a bit more, but them's the breaks.)
Vettrock

I went from not thirsty to dehydrated within seconds with a new character once. It took 28 hours played for her to become thirsty for the first time, and then it kicked in very harshly... I thought that was a little odd.  :wink:

Some food is dehydrating.

(numbers edited out)

resting: --(--) --(--) ---(---)>
You are thirsty.
You are dehydrated.
You begin to suffer from thirst!

resting: --(--) --(--) ---(---)>
stand
You stop resting, and stand up.

I gotta agree with Agent - could we get a -little- more warning than that? I didn't even see a 'you are getting thirsty' message before then. I hadn't been eating anything that would've caused dehydration, either, and my character had plenty of water, there is no way she would have let herself go that far without drinking. Heh.

I've had it happen that way also, several times, and each time I went back on my scrollback to check and see if I missed a message, nope, none of the times have I missed a message, not even the starting to get thirsty one.

Oh, and it's a 50mb scrollback, so no chance it was not large enough.:)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

It seems to me that with the modification to the thirst code, you get thirsty twice as fast, but with the same amount of messages.

I do like the thirst code becoming more dire.  DESPITE what the immortals say, it makes the desert FAR more harsh.  Yes, the playerbase is prepared for it.  But that doesn't change the fact that now we have to spend either twice as much time finding water, or twice as much coins buying it.  Cudos to the change.

However, the thirst message needs to be looked at.  I've found myself suffering dehydration without recieving any prior warning, and with my last ranger I had to type score constantly just because I couldn't depend on thirst messages to alert me when I needed water.
Back from a long retirement

Krath-struck?...
I usually explain it as being Krath-struck suddenly. Staggering with a headache, feeling like your brains are going to burst out.. No warnings before, of course...
But still, not having it won't be a problem for meh! Go ahead.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "wizturbo"Some food is dehydrating.

Watch out for the pretzels.