Knock louder

Started by slipshod, May 25, 2004, 07:11:50 PM

Should knocks be heard from farther away that just the adjacent room?

Knock once for YES
33 (78.6%)
Knock twice for NO
9 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: May 25, 2004, 07:11:50 PM

I've always wished that I could hear people knocking from a room or two away from the entrance.  Not being able to totally rules out the chance of an unexpected visitor dropping in.. because you won't hear to be able to admit them if you are elsewhere in the house, and if you're waiting around for them in the foyer, then they wouldn't really be unexpected, would they.  I can understand not being able to hear from upstairs or a back room, but at least the adjacent rooms should catch some of the noice.

Setting aside for the moment how difficult it would be to change the code, do you think there's a need?

I'll get us started with a 'yes' vote.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Why not leave knocks alone, and introduce door knockers which when used extend the range some one can hear you knocking a few rooms.

Then, for the even more rich, introduce door chimes. Pull a chord and it rings chimes throughout the house, on a pulley-like system.

And for templars, a pull-chain that causes a razor-sharp pendulum to swing out of the ceiling and slice into a well-restrained criminal.  The ensuing cries of pain mean someone's at the door.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I see no reason why someone knocking should be hear from two rooms away.

Just use shout or something.

Voted no.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

As far as I know, shouts can only be heard one room away as well.

So that leaves us with the "or something"... which escapes me.

-Aaron Burr

I agree.  Make it audible throughout the building.  If it's a larger one, it has a knocker or 'chimer' as suggested above.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

The chimes and gongs and things are already around for the uber-rich... but I was thinking of this more as a change to benefit the smaller, simpler buildings.

-Aaron Burr

Go to your front door.. place a friend there.. go two rooms away, and call the friend on a cell to tell him to knock.. You can usually hear it, unless your house is soundproof, and since this is for the poor/destitute usually..in Arm, their walls -suck-..it would be easy to hear.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

Quote from: "Agent_137"Then, for the even more rich, introduce door chimes. Pull a chord and it rings chimes throughout the house, on a pulley-like system.

They'd have those, but the theives would use this as a way to break in...

There's either a shaft for the ropes, or there's a small hole that allows the rope to go through to the next room... all someone would have to do is cut the rope and look inside the hole to the next room and get a wooden stick to jam through the hole and twist down to the doorlock then open it.

Or else there's a shaft to break opening the grating covering and crawl through till you get inside.

Or they could just unlock the door  :wink:
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

If you are in a wagon, in the room considered "entrance" ... You can type 'knock door' and it will echo to all the rooms in the wagon.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

These things already exist.  That bell that tells you when an arena game in Allanak has started, for example.  

If you installed a big gong in the front door of every clan hall that did the same thing, on a smaller scale, it would work just fine.

My house is three stories plus basement, I can hear the front door being knocked on (as long as it's not a wussy knock) from the basement, first and most of the second floor.  Let's face it, most houses on Zalanthas are one room hovels, most commoners can not afford a very large house, imho, it's very realistic that you can hear a knock from another part of your house.  I'd love this change.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I totally agree. I'm totally ignorant when it comes to code BUT I wonder if a house could be FLAGGED with the key type required for the specific door. Like the door to the house requirese key #1 so each room in the house could then be flagged with a special #1 corresponding to the unique key and grant each room the new and fancy 'knock' code that someone would very patiently and wonderfully institute. :) Allowing anyone in a room flagged with the special flag to hear a knock on the specially flagged special door, especially if the person knocking was themselves special and carrying a flag with the word special embossed across it.

Heh, or the person knocking can use the way if they're really set on finding out if you're home or not.
B