The way and emotions

Started by UnderSeven, January 17, 2004, 12:29:46 PM

This is actually something that the child and way post brought to me.  I've been playing arm a long time and sometimes people put emotions over the way with *'s.  It seems to be pretty widely accepted that to some degree, the way can be used in such a way.. I personally agree that the way is probably not really words in the first place.  So thoughts, emotions, maybe even imagines could be argueable.  But is this really something we can agree on? And more over, if so can we have something added to psi like say emotes?  

(the reason this isn't in code or rp dis is because I felt it fit in both and therefore put it in general)

I have seen emotions expressed in the Way before, also.  I think it's okay.

Adding emotions to the Way conveys a stronger message to the person you're in contact with.  It also lets them know if you're being flippant, or if you're being serious, for example.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I know one very old Templar who sent nothing but an image over the way with *'s around it.  Fun stuff.

Thats part of the point of this post.

If instead of having to manually add the *'s or whatever the hell you choose to enclose it with, it would be neat if we had a form of ()'s that we could add emotions with, with the slight difference where with the way you don't have to say anything after the ()'s.  So you could send emotions or words and it could be somewhat coded.. Why?  Well for the same reason it's coded into say.

Yes, I would like to be able to:

psi (with an overwhelming wave of confusion) Marcy?  No, sorry, wrong mind.

With an overwhelming wave of confusion, the gruff graduate student sends you a telepathic message:
   "Marcy?  No, sorry, wrong mind. "

and even

psimote touches your mind briefly, with a warm glow of friendship.

Telepathically, the gruff graduate student touches your mind briefly, with a warm glow of friendship.

This would be pretty cool.

Question one: Does anyone else agree?
Question two: What kinds of abuse could it be used for?
Question three: How hard would it be to impliment?

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Sounds cool!
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

That would definitely be more elegant than the *xxx* emotes, they keep reminding me of chatrooms.

I like it as well..
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I love it!

I just stumbled over an old log where -only- through emotions and images over the way a very dense atmosphere and plot was build. During the whole scene, only very few of the messages contained words.

Many of those impressions wouldn't have fit into the syntax suggested before though. It would be nice if there was a psionic 'impression' that was less tailored for language.

Of course, the liberties taken using the psionic message as it is now allow for all these variants, at the slight inconvenience of having to interpret different styles of formatting the non-verbal content of the message.
code]
          .::7777::-.
         /:'////' `::>/|/
      .',  ||||   `/( e\
  -==~-'`-Xm````-mr' `-_\    Join the Save the Gurth campaign! [/code]

Not a bad idea at all.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I like the idea of psi emotes.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I would say no to psimote for a variety of reasons, some of which are IC. But one of them is that I don't like the possibility of having to deal with something like this:

The gruff graduate student sends the thought of himself wearing the new earring you gave him last tuesday and beaming happily at you.

or however it would be formatted. If he wants to show off his new earring he can damned well find me and show it off. I have experienced situations in other games where there is little restriction on what's acceptable for the "thought-net," and it detracts rather than adds to the RP, because it removes any need to actually meet people face to face.

But adding emotes to "verbal" psis I think would be terrific.

I'd want to stick to emotional sensations rather than imagery. My preference and again, for the same reason as I outlined in the psimote concern. A sense of warmth, a sense of irony, amusement, sadness, wryly, etc. You're projecting your thoughts with the "psi" skill, not images, not movement. And while yes, our thoughts can contain images, there are  probably IC repercussions of that which should not be discussed OOCly, concerning psionics in general.

Edited because I wasn't paying attention to my spelling.

Psimote is killer.  Much kudos, Morrolan.  I see absolutely no problem with it.  You can send emotions with your messages, why can't you send them without?  You can send images as well... I see absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be possible to just send feelings.

Psi emotions with messages are awesome, and add flavor.

That is all.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Considering that nobody has ever clearly deliniated the what and how of Psionics in this game, I don't see what the issue is with feelings and images being conveyed as well.  A psimote would be great.

Yes to feelings, no to images.

Quote from: "Morrolan"

psimote touches your mind briefly, with a warm glow of friendship.

Telepathically, the gruff graduate student touches your mind briefly, with a warm glow of friendship.

Morrolan

One of my PCs got that message.  Well, it did not include friendly, but it was lightly touching my mind. :shock:
some of my posts are serious stuff

Morrolan pwnz j00 with psimote!
ife, like a dome of many-coloured glass,
Stains the white radiance of eternity.
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley

Quote from: "Delirium"Yes to feelings, no to images.
Why?

I have only one thing to add.. Restrictions.. you can't send images of yourself.. :) Because how would you show yourself in someone else's mind without a mirror to see yourself exactly?

I think it is ok to send images of something you can see.. not any thing you can't. Because how do you know enough about it to send an -image- of it?

I typed this before reading Deleriums.. So I change my mind..
I think we should have images.
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Posting as guest intentionally.
I think there's reasons why images shouldn't be allowed for people who don't have the actual psionicist class. Hopefully that sentence is enough and I don't know all that much about how it works but I think the entire issue is riding close to being way too IC to mention more.

Hmm I kinda like the idea...but it could go either way...
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Quote from: "Anonymous"I think there's reasons why images shouldn't be allowed for people who don't have the actual psionicist class. Hopefully that sentence is enough and I don't know all that much about how it works but I think the entire issue is riding close to being way too IC to mention more.
When I think about this, I agree. Feelings, but no images.

Or, if images, clear-cut images that do not infringe upon other talents....not sure how to really say that and I have to go to work, so...uhm...g'night.

The ideas seem cool to me.

And I have no problem with either emotions or images conveyed via the Way.    Tastes, odors, sounds and textures might be pushing it a bit.    But you never know.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

I vote yes. That it is a good idea.