The way and emotions

Started by UnderSeven, January 17, 2004, 12:29:46 PM

Lots of yesses.

I like the idea but I think it would be borderline PSI shit to be able to convey perfect images like that through the Way.

I'd opt for a variation of:

The image of the <sdesc> wavers slightly in your mind, (rest of emote)

So that if I sent you:

psimote sitting in a pitch black room with an eerie green glow to it.
psi (full of fear) Templar... got me... HELP!

You'd see:

The image of the short, fat puertorican wavers slightly in your mind, as if she is sitting in a pitch black room with an eerie green glow to it.

The short, fat puertorican sends you a telepathic message full of fear:
  "Templar... got me... HELP!"

Needless to say this would only be doable by people who are very experienced with the Way.
Normal people would be able to send emotions and maybe small images if they concentrate, images that are too long would be too draining for the normal people to send.
Psionisists should be able to send thoughts and emotions as well as images of self or others.

The "touch" I think should remain a psi thing only, it always freaks me out when I feel one of those.  Maybe even go as far as having PSI's capable of altering a target's mood. Sort of like:

contact nobleaide

You contact the manly, muscular stud through the Way.

convey A sense of suspicion enters your mind.

The manly man would of course get...
A sense of suspicion enters your mind.

Maybe 15 mnts later you send...
convey Fear and dread pierce through you for an instant as images of murdering (whoever) flash through your mind.

Oh the thinks you can think.

Back on track, I like the idea, I think it becomes kind of intruding upon Psi things and just for shits and giggles, I threw in some scattered thoughts. It's 432 AM, give me a break.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

This idea was popular with the GDB crowd last time it was brought up too (you didn't think it was a new idea, did you?) but then Sanvean nixed it.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"This idea was popular with the GDB crowd last time it was brought up too (you didn't think it was a new idea, did you?) but then Sanvean nixed it.

AC
No miss smarty pants, I didn... okay so I did... shoot me!
*snort*
You're not the boss of me.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"This idea was popular with the GDB crowd last time it was brought up too (you didn't think it was a new idea, did you?) but then Sanvean nixed it.

Please - can you give a pointer to the thread?
I found another thread on this 'new' GDB where the last post (Naatoks) is supporting my ideas about the way.

It seems to be a problem that lacking restrictions, there are about as many ideas about the way as there are players. While IC the chars may have as many weird theories about the way as they may feel inclined to, as a player I would like to know where I am taking my liberties with formatting the messages too far.

To me, there's a difference between consciously sending an image (which  is most likely special and could be restcited to a separate skill) and lack of training or shielding that would allow a more skilled counterpart to glimpse the reflections of the surroundings as the twisted mind of my char represents them. That is why I preferred to call them psionic impressions rather than messages, and would place them on a less conscious level. Brief glimpses of 'raw sensual input' that has not yet been filtered by consciousness and thought.

I think it's safe to give a few examples with only one side quoted, you can easily make up something to match the other side of the contact.
*a drifting mind, detached and unfocussed. The sound of water running, steadily and with an oddly lulling quality to it*
*shaken from trance, the dazed mind of ... jumps awake all of a sudden*

*a nagging sense of hunger growing to consciousness*
*a closeup on a pattern wooden stripes woven together, the regularity oddly fascinating*
*a brief, blurred impression of a basket, a remote taste of fruit, too distant to be real*
I like to think that other peoples minds are dangerous things to explore, especially if they are not trained or focussed enough to control what is gleamed from them.

There was my flame-bait. I better go and fetch my asbestos  8)
code]
          .::7777::-.
         /:'////' `::>/|/
      .',  ||||   `/( e\
  -==~-'`-Xm````-mr' `-_\    Join the Save the Gurth campaign! [/code]

QuoteThis sounds fine, other people have done it in the past. -San

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, (myemail account) wrote:

> Hullo esteemed staffers,
>
> I have a question about the way... is it possible to transmit small,
vague images through it?  I have been playing it as if it is, not doing
it commonly or anything, but on ocassion sending someone's face or some
such small image.
>
> I have been playing it as an *extremely* painful thing to do.  If you
would like to see this not happen, I'm totally cool with that, and I
will absolutely stop.  The reason I thought it was possible is because
of the fact that when one party is inebriated, they see a wavering
picture of the other party on the psi contact.
>
> I do hope I haven't been f'ing this up, and fully apologize if I have
been.  I look forward to your answer, either way.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I've seen *blah blah* used to denote emotion.

*violent and intense* You're going to die.

The actual psymote (heh instead of psimote, so there wouldn't be issues with abbreviations) idea I really like. I agree that good form would be emotions only, not images or making someone's ears ring, etc. Well, unless they were a mind bender and then they could probably do a lot more than that. ;)
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

While I think the psiemote thing is a cool idea, I actually like the "*" thing better. Why? Two reasons. One, it tends to limit people in their choice of emotions to the most basic - the ones that EVERYONE seems to know and have a reference to. Happiness, fear, sadness... not "feeling slightly annoyed but with a hint of contagious happiness". I tend to think that your average joe SHOULDN'T be able to send very detailed emotions over the Way - who's to say that everyone feels the intricacies of those emotions the same way? Your "hint of contagious happiness" might be equivalent to my "nervous laughter". Keeping things short gives a bit of allowance for this, and helps to encourage people to RP things out more face to face where they CAN show the more detailed stuff.  Second, it's DIFFERENT. It immediately lets me know, from a purely OOC perspective, that this is something out of the ordinary that my character is experiencing. It could NEVER be confused, even at a quick glance, with an actual emote from someone in the room.

Just my $0.02.

You know, Jaq....that is a point. I elect to add the emote to psi like it is on say...IE: psi (with intense rage) GIMMI MY CHEDDAR, MAN!

The young black male sends you a telepathic message with intense rage: "GIMMI MY CHEDDAR, MAN!"
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

QuoteThis idea was popular with the GDB crowd last time it was brought up too (you didn't think it was a new idea, did you?) but then Sanvean nixed it.

Are you sure about this? I remember turning down an idea for emotes attached to think, which I will not go into in detail, lest a horde of people jump again on that particular bandwagon.

As far as images go, many people use them, and I've got no quarrel with it. I'm not sure I'm seeing a really compelling reason for using a psi-emote command other than it doesn't look as nice to have the asterisks.

I have qualms about the implementation proposed, because I could see someone doing something like:

psiemote kills you

yielding:
Over the Way, the short fat dumpy templar kills you.

Maybe we could just assume that people wouldn't abuse it, but every time I think something like that, someone turns around and proves me wrong by doing something like taking all the chairs out of the Trader's in order to sell them.  :p

I like the idea in some ways, but I'd like the form tweaked some so the abuse potential is diminished. If y'all can figure that out, then maybe.

You can sell the chairs?
Whew, no more scrab hunting.

To keep the post on topic, I think there's plenty of versatility with *blah* and it doesn't detract from anything at least with me.

Quotepsiemote kills you

yielding:

emote slays you!

emote You have been slayed by @!
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Yes. But I think for new players that's going to be a lot more confusing than the emote.

Is there a better reason to put work into this command over something else than aesthetics?

Quote from: "Sanvean"

psiemote kills you

yielding:

Change the wording of the message?

Instead:
Over the way, the so and so person sends you the message of <either message text or emote.>

Example
psi Hi, how ya doing

Over the way, so and so sends you the message of, "hi how ya doing?"

or

psiemote kills you.

Over the way, so and so sends you the message of kills you.

Okay, so that wouldn't be abusive as it's clearly nothing, lets try something else.

psiemote killing you

Over the way, so and so sends you the message of killing you.

Okay, here I feel it's no longer a problem because instead of it being like a powerplayed psiemote making people think somehing that isn't happening, it's instead more like an image.  Like if you got that you'd imagine the templar imagining over the way killing you.  And since San already stated she didn't feel there was anything wrong with that, then I see no problem.

By putting in the word 'of' it makes it clear what is happening is nothing more than a message, it's not something that is actually happening to you.  I'm sure someone could think of some creative way to try trickery even with this, but I feel the code would make it clear that it wasn't anything more in such a case.-

Quote from: "Sanvean"
Are you sure about this? I remember turning down an idea for emotes attached to think, which I will not go into in detail, lest a horde of people jump again on that particular bandwagon.

Nope, I'm not absolutely certain.  I have a pretty good memory for things I've read, but it's not perfect.  Archiving on the new board is a chancy thing, and searching the archives of the old board is just too painful to contemplate.  :P  So I could be confusing a thinkemote idea for a psiemote idea.  Now that I've let down my legions of fans I'll slink away quietly.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I dunno...I think there is a way to word it.  Perhaps like...
psimote dread
You send to (this sdesc for rent) a feeling of dread.

The other person would see...
The (my mother dressed this sdesc) sends you a feeling of dread.
This would prevent a true emote over the way...it is always a feeling and everyone would recognize the syntax so that abuse would (if attempted) look ridiculous and thus noone with half a brain would attempt it in the first place.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Spawnloser, I think that you've solved the problem. Ingenious.

Danke.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Oh, understood, Delirium.  I do that.  It would just be neat if the code would support that.

psi (dread) Dude!
The dude in the hoodie sends you via the way, accompanied by a feeling of dread:
 "Dude!"

Quote from: "spawnloser"The dude in the hoodie sends you via the way, accompanied by a feeling of dread:
 "Dude!"
And how would you handle images or (weakly) or the myriad of other expressions that cannot be accompanied as a feeling?
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Allow emotes to be attached to psi messages and to nothing else. No psiemote...nothing. Just: psi (a sense of fear trickling through) Bbbbbbaaaadddd!

It would look just like say emotes.

A sense of fear trickling through, the young black male sends you a telepathic message: "Bbbbbaaaadddd!"

Simple, efficient.

One thing I worry about allowing this, though, is deceptive emotions in a psi and whether or not they are appropriate.

>think Man, I hate this guy.

>psi *Cheefully* Hey best buddy, how's it going!

> think I'm going to kill him if I can get him in that room.

> psi *Warmly* I've got some good news to share with you in the torture chamber!

I'm not saying that's bad...but I'm not convinced it's good either.  I guess it's all part of the ambiguity of the way.

Actually, I think Venomz has the idea...add them to psi messages like emotes can be added to say or talk already.  Then it just comes down to syntax.

I think the psyemotes would be uncontrollable IC..
Unless your a mind bender..
So since you would hate the guy.. you would send the *Mild hate* or something like that to him with each Psi :)
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Bah. It is quite simple IRL to control your thoughts for a brief period of time. If it were not, there would be far mor murders. So, for you to think one thing and send (remember, using the way to send messages has been described by staff as a effort-filled task) another thing should not be hard at all.