Mmmmm Data

Started by Brokkr, November 12, 2018, 02:22:42 PM

November 12, 2018, 02:22:42 PM Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 02:34:03 PM by Brokkr
Quote from: mansa on November 09, 2018, 01:23:27 PM
I'd prefer some statistics about player habits that would dictate a change.

How many characters get created
Have karma spent
Real life time before death
Time spent before making a new character
New character karma spent
Typical breakdown of class / subclass / race

Mmmmm data

Here is some data that gets at some of that.

Could you further separate this into how active these characters are? Also, you're posting the albums in the img tags instead of the hyperlink to the image. Pretty telling that there are the same number of dwarves as elves but 6x as many humans. I was just about right with my 1 in 7 guess (was I the one who said that?).

This data is from July 3, 2018 until today.  Classes outside the rubric have been taken out.

No, I am not going to put activity in. It is harder to get that, and the data looses meaning at a consolidated level...and I'm not going to give out data that isn't at a consolidated level.

Do d-elfs count as karma race?

It's very telling that elfs are so rare when they're supposed to be by far the second most populous race in the game, and in cities.  Seems to numerically confirm that the role is not healthy right now.  (Then again, maybe they are dying off and being interbred out of existence?  Heh.)

I'm not surprised to see that stalker is a very popular class.  That collection of skills is pretty sexy.

I am surprised to see that Fighter is also tied for most popular class, though.  I figured that Raider would easily beat it out, given how scope-limited it is.  Then again, I guess it's easy to make up for that with a subguild.

Laborer seems strangely underplayed.

'Rinth merchants seem underplayed, but not really surprised there.

With "touched" being a thing, I'm really shocked to see magick subs under 1:10.  I think that's fine, though.  People were complaining about the game being overrun with hidden 'gicks.

I'm also really surprised to see Linguist as #2.  Like, why tho?  Is it just because nowadays you can actually start with a character that knows 5 languages?   ;D

Quote from: Brokkr on November 12, 2018, 02:37:45 PM
This data is from July 3, 2018 until today.  Classes outside the rubric have been taken out.

No, I am not going to put activity in. It is harder to get that, and the data looses meaning at a consolidated level...and I'm not going to give out data that isn't at a consolidated level.

Without activity, a lot of the statistics are skewed, though. Because this is counting all the people who create a character and never log in, or log in once and never return. It also counts characters people make just to piddle around IG as a throwaway character while they await karma regen, only to store with very little time played, or die to something silly.

It's also rather telling that it appears over half of all heavy mercantile PCs ended up selecting the custom crafter sub.

And heavy mercantile is currently the least played of all class types. I wonder how many of those heavy mercantile sorts were created closer to July than to today, once people got more of a feel for the new classes.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

I loves me some data. Thanks.

It's a little difficult to extrapolate intent from those numbers (other than the playerbase thinks hunters are DA SHIT), but it looks to me like ... if you have karma ... you go for magick.

It also looks like the playerbase largely agrees with me that miscreant/stalker are the way to go.

Brokkr, thanks for the all the information. Super interesting to see the spread at this level.

Quote from: Heade on November 12, 2018, 02:59:17 PM
It's also rather telling that it appears over half of all heavy mercantile PCs ended up selecting the custom crafter sub.

Does it?

19 Heavy Crafters
6 Light Crafters
5 Survival
2 Light Combat
2 Heavy Combat

Looks closer to 25% to me.

And heavy mercantile is currently the least played of all class types. I wonder how many of those heavy mercantile sorts were created closer to July than to today, once people got more of a feel for the new classes.

Taking 9/8/2018 as the midpoint:

Artisan:  24 before / 14 after
Dune Trader:  15 before / 9 after
Fence: 8 before / 6 after

Heavy combat custom crafter?  For the warrior who also wants to be a middling-yet-creative chef?   :o

Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 12, 2018, 05:27:25 PM
Heavy combat custom crafter?  For the warrior who also wants to be a middling-yet-creative chef?   :o

For when they want something constructive to do when there's no one to kill :)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Ya but the only crafting skill they get is cooking... and at journeyman.

Quote from: Brokkr on November 12, 2018, 04:56:15 PM

Taking 9/8/2018 as the midpoint:

Artisan:  24 before / 14 after
Dune Trader:  15 before / 9 after
Fence: 8 before / 6 after

Hmm, looks like there is a marked decline in creating heavy mercantile in the latter half of that time period. I wonder if the newness of the classes started wearing off, and people became disillusioned with the idea of heavy mercantile without custom crafting.

I mean, honestly, you're better off taking virtually anything else as a custom crafter. A stalker/master armor maker would be a far better Salarri armor crafter than any of the core mercantile classes would be if they choose anything other than custom crafter. And the stalker could actually do a LOT of other things very well.

I don't think asking that heavy mercantile be allowed to perform the core function of their class, while still getting to choose a subguild is such an outrageous request, as to be met with so much resistance.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Maybe.  Mercantile types tend to live a long time, though.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 12, 2018, 02:57:02 PM
Do d-elfs count as karma race?

Desert elves are counted in the karma races category, not elves category.

oh gawd this is amazing

I will look deeper into this tonight. So deep.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I'm also really surprised to see Linguist as #2.  Like, why tho?  Is it just because nowadays you can actually start with a character that knows 5 languages?   ;D

I did it once on a fence. The premise being that if all you can do is craft and social, then be really good at the social.

It was less impressive than I'd hoped. Nobody is stunned into submission by knowing you can speak dwarf or switch accents on the fly. In fact, few even notice.

Quote from: Miradus on November 12, 2018, 06:38:45 PM

I did it once on a fence. The premise being that if all you can do is craft and social, then be really good at the social.

It was less impressive than I'd hoped. Nobody is stunned into submission by knowing you can speak dwarf or switch accents on the fly. In fact, few even notice.

It was a lot more useful when Tuluk was still in the game. It can still be useful if you need to maintain multiple identities, but most people don't have to do that.

That's what I was trying to do, maintain multiple identities.

Either I didn't do it well or you just can't expect other people to go along with it. A short, blue-eyed guy is ALWAYS Joe, like you've got your social security number tattooed on your forehead.

Anyway, it was a useful trick. Once. Kind of like fence itself. Once you've done it, you can't really see the purpose of doing it again.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 12, 2018, 05:56:39 PM
Maybe.  Mercantile types tend to live a long time, though.

Some do. A lot more get apartment PKed before you ever hear of them. If you played merchants, you'd probably know this. Also, even for GMH crafters, they often get knifed down in the street, or killed while grebbing or something.

Actual MERCHANT PCs, who are GMH family members, often live awhile. But many times, they aren't even crafter classes.

Quote from: mansa on November 12, 2018, 06:21:09 PM
oh gawd this is amazing

I will look deeper into this tonight. So deep.

Bear in mind, Mansa, that there were 371+ new accounts created in that time period, so a significant number of those mundane PCs created in those numbers might not have ever played the game, or were throwaway characters of people who were awaiting karma, but wanted to see what the RPT shenanigans were about, or otherwise just piddle around and pickpocket people.

If we assume that only half of those new accounts created a PC (185.5), and half again as many PCs were throwaway PCs of longer-term players awaiting karma regen/role apps (92.75), then that is 278 of the 611 mundane PCs that weren't actively played as "real" PCs.

That would shift the subclass numbers to:

Mundane, 0 Karma PCs: 333
1 K, 2 K, and Magick: 130

Without playtime statistics, it's impossible to say for certain, but I imagine I'm being pretty generous with only assuming 92 of the 611 characters were throwaways with few days played.

This puts the percentage of karma classes at roughly 28%, but it could certainly be higher if we looked at playtime statistics.

This also has implications impacting race statistics.

November 12, 2018, 07:27:08 PM #20 Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:15:08 PM by mansa

Wait.  I get 882 characters created since July 4th.

You can't correspond accounts created with characters created.  That data isn't available on the website.

Breakdown Percentages of Subclass Karma Spend

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

November 12, 2018, 07:37:37 PM #21 Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 07:56:11 PM by Brokkr
Slipknife is now 2.  As is cutpurse.

Huh.  Some stuff never got changed.

Mansa is a nerd's nerd. I'm loving this data breakdown.

I'm going to throw some suppositions out here based on these ...

-It would seem a lot of people have the notion that "If karma > 1 play magick ELSE play hunter."

-Stalker is the class to be if you want the most wilderness utility.

-Grebber is far and away better than anything else 1 karma has to offer.

What I'd love to see is a breakdown of guild/subguild combos.

Like a breakdown of the subguilds commonly played with each guild.

November 12, 2018, 07:45:04 PM #23 Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:02:25 PM by mansa
Quote from: Brokkr on November 12, 2018, 07:37:37 PM
Slipknife is now 2.  As is cutpurse.
Fixing.  Thanks.bad charts

Quote from: mansa on November 12, 2018, 07:27:08 PM

What is this one supposed to be showing, because it doesn't look accurate. You have craftsperson reflecting a "98", but every other class actually has more than it, with the exception of like, the 4 least popular classes.

It would probably make the most sense to have the chart reflect percentages instead of however you did it here, simply dividing the number of that class made by 741 to come up with the percentage.

Quote from: mansa on November 12, 2018, 07:27:08 PMWait.  I get 882 characters created since July 4th.

That's not reflected in the numbers Brokkr gave us. His number is 741.

Quote from: mansa on November 12, 2018, 07:27:08 PM
You can't correspond accounts created with characters created.  That data isn't available on the website.

But we also can't ignore the significance of the impact simply because we don't know the numbers. You're right, we don't have all the information. Those 371 new accounts could ACTUALLY have created 400 of the mundane PCs, all with less than a day played, which would REALLY skew the numbers. But we don't know that, so we'll have to do our best to estimate with the data we have available, unless someone wants to provide playtime statistics for us.