I miss...

Started by ShaLeah, September 13, 2016, 11:46:27 PM

My rose-colored glasses.

Halaster.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

... doing things that make sense in the world, putting in the time and RP as a player, and seeing that thing come to fruition.

#NoMoreRoadBlocks
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: SuchDragonWow on September 14, 2016, 01:31:33 PM
Kanks were cool, but I mostly miss being a newb and looking at the world with wide open eyes.

Man, that's a good one. My first time seeing a magicker (I played Tuluk exclusively for my first couple of years) was about a year or so into the game and I saw a talented Nilazi or a Sorceror going wild against Tuluk. Later I would understand oocly that it was just one creative pc making some fun for everyone... but back then, I would have sworn I was in some epic staff rpt. I do miss the lack of surprises after you've been active in the game for so long, but I enjoy when I get to recreate those moments of awesome back to new or returning players.

I miss.... Sanvean. How did I forget her!
I also miss.... Nenyuki agent pc's. I had some good times with a couple of them in my noob days. Though with player created clans/warehouses, I could see this being able to work again while being a lot more interesting as far as travel and duties. Junior agent traveling city to city and outpost to outpost collecting payment on smaller properties etc. Lots of opportunity for travel and lots of opportunities for involving other players in the safety or danger of said travel. Hmmmm...
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Refugee on September 14, 2016, 09:50:36 AM
The war, and having something that big and important to plan about and talk about and worry about.

That.
Random Armageddon Thoughts
Tuluk
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

September 14, 2016, 07:53:53 PM #31 Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:25:56 AM by Jingo
Edit: Bad post.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I miss the old Arm, the 3 room bow Arm
Choppin mofo's Arm, kanks on the roads Arm
I hate the new Arm, the grunting dude Arm
The tavern brood Arm, no more search room Arm
I miss the sweet Arm, roleplaying beasts Arm
I gotta say, at that time I'd like to play Arm
See Arm invented Arm, it wasn't any Arm
And now I look and look around and there is no Arm
I used to love Arm, I used to love Arm
I even had the Team Allanak shirt, I thought I was Arm
What if Arm made a GDB post, about Arm?
Called "I Miss The Old Arm," man that would be so Arm
That's all it was: Arm, we still love Arm
And I love you like Arm loves Arm

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on September 15, 2016, 01:25:06 AM
I miss the old Arm, the 3 room bow Arm
Choppin mofo's Arm, kanks on the roads Arm
I hate the new Arm, the grunting dude Arm
The tavern brood Arm, no more search room Arm
I miss the sweet Arm, roleplaying beasts Arm
I gotta say, at that time I'd like to play Arm
See Arm invented Arm, it wasn't any Arm
And now I look and look around and there is no Arm
I used to love Arm, I used to love Arm
I even had the Team Allanak shirt, I thought I was Arm
What if Arm made a GDB post, about Arm?
Called "I Miss The Old Arm," man that would be so Arm
That's all it was: Arm, we still love Arm
And I love you like Arm loves Arm

Kudos sir.

Malbken Gardens [N, E, S]

These orchards lie sheltered beneath the eastern city wall of the

ruins of Tuluk, unkempt rows of agafaris, cynipri, and dramam ravaged for

leaves or wood or fruit, their leaves listless in the wind.  Weeds grow in

aggressive clusters, the ground beneath the old fruit trees dried by the

competition for precious water.  Insects and rats wander about the gardens,

and now and then a soldier appears in the distance to scan for looters. 

:'(

Quote from: BadSkeelz on September 14, 2016, 01:46:48 PM
Not being cynical about everything OOC.

Also executions and torture scenes. Those were fun.

be the change
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Tuluk above everything.
Grey Hunt.
All the noble and gmh branches that helped make the clans seem different instead of basically just being all the same. Scorpions. Wyverns. J'Karr. Falcons. Etc.
Red Robes.
Full Elementalists.
Full Sorcerers.
Staff Interaction from NPC Leaders before Request Tool.
My Horse!
Death is only the beginning...

I think parts of this thread lean towards a thinly veiled 'fuck you!' to Staff for the changes that have occurred in the game. I think it's fine to reminisce and pine for the days of yore, or the things that have changed, but maybe we should err on the side of not being passive dicks.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on September 15, 2016, 11:01:44 AM
I think parts of this thread lean towards a thinly veiled 'fuck you!' to Staff for the changes that have occurred in the game. I think it's fine to reminisce and pine for the days of yore, or the things that have changed, but maybe we should err on the side of not being passive dicks.

This thread is about nostalgia. At least it is for me.

Let's not project feelings that aren't there and remember that how an individual perceives the tone could be miles away from the actual intention.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

September 15, 2016, 01:01:47 PM #39 Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:03:19 PM by RogueGunslinger

I feel like I shouldn't have to say this. But my post was satire and parody. I do not in fact want 3 room bows back.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on September 15, 2016, 01:01:47 PM

I feel like I shouldn't have to say this. But my post was satire and parody. I do not in fact want 3 room bows back.

Seriously though, kanks.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

trolling psionic fungus and spawnloser

Quote from: ShaLeah on September 15, 2016, 12:12:05 PM

This thread is about nostalgia. At least it is for me.

Let's not project feelings that aren't there and remember that how an individual perceives the tone could be miles away from the actual intention.

Being emotionally correct is nigh impossible to interpret via text. And the road to hell is paved with good intentions  :-*
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Riev on September 14, 2016, 03:33:40 PM
... doing things that make sense in the world, putting in the time and RP as a player, and seeing that thing come to fruition.

#NoMoreRoadBlocks
I'm hoping staff are open minded. At least for what I have in mind soon :) I mean, what's the point in playing this game at all if nothing can be achieved that makes sense in the setting and you've put hard work into for a reason other than a staffer says no? Fingers crosses this isn't the case
yousuck

Quote from: yousuff on September 15, 2016, 01:23:44 PM
Quote from: Riev on September 14, 2016, 03:33:40 PM

#NoMoreRoadBlocks
I'm hoping staff are open minded. At least for what I have in mind soon :) I mean, what's the point in playing this game at all if nothing can be achieved that makes sense in the setting and you've put hard work into for a reason other than a staffer says no? Fingers crosses this isn't the case

Yeah, I think players often think 'Staff is out to get me or create roadblocks', but I view them more as the gatekeepers for what is and isn't acceptable (or what is and isn't possible) in the game world to fit the setting. So while you might think something fits perfectly, Staff might disagree, and you shouldn't take it personally. At least I try not to -- I usually shoot out ideas without real OOC attachment to them. I've found Staff to be open minded, as long as I am open minded and ready to compromise.

~Jack Vance~

I don't think they're "out to get me" because nobody on staff cares about me (personally) enough as a player to dislike me.

However, their job IS to create roadblocks. They are not there to facilitate your plotlines, they are there to make them POSSIBLE and DIFFICULT. Most plot lines in game end up requiring some staff intervention to get that one item, or open those gates, etc etc. However, they do not just 'do' that, they "make the world come alive" for you, which means roadblocks.

They do this, because if it was 'easy' to do, they feel we as players wouldn't feel the sense of accomplishment otherwise. Unfortunately, I am one of those players who wants to plan things out, get them done in game in a REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME CONSIDERING THIS IS A GAME, and not have the world shift just to keep me from my menial goal of "building a small pile of rocks".

I get it, I do, but I miss the days of Templar's raiding villages and bringing in chests full of coin. I miss someone wishing up that they want to jump out of this window, and not having to wait three hours (sometimes, not usually admittedly). I miss being told to "investigate" something, and it not taking so long for that ONE STAFF WHO IS ABLE to dig through logs to help out. I miss staff taking their clans out on clan-RPTs that end up not meaning much but a good adventure. I miss playing with staff, who often times seem more like paper pushers and less like the storytellers their titles make them up to be.

I don't blame any one, or group, specifically. Its like Tuluk, this is just how its evolved. And I'm crotchedy. I just really miss roleplaying a character in a D&D inspired universe where I start off as some nobody commoner but, if I work hard enough, I COULD be a semi-noticeable member of a Guild or House.

Shadowboard much?

I dunno dude. I don't experience that at all. The more you try to involve people and Staff, the more likely you are to succeed. I'd recommend more patience and having another hobby to counter balance Arm so you don't have all your eggs in the Armageddon basket.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on September 16, 2016, 10:10:03 AM
Shadowboard much?

Assumptions, much? I've been told this by more than one staffer, before. I GET the theory behind it, and its a sound one, just not for my playstyle. Which is why I miss it all.

I don't know about all that other stuff, but I do enjoy old-school dungeon crawls and beat-em-up RPTs.

Quote from: Delirium on September 16, 2016, 12:29:35 PM
I don't know about all that other stuff, but I do enjoy old-school dungeon crawls and beat-em-up RPTs.

I was involved in one of these within the last six months, and three of these within the last year.

I'm too young to miss most of the items listed above, but I do miss:

1. House Dasari!  (And pymlithe boughs.)

2. The Bards of Poet's Circle.

3. Akei'Ta Var.  The treehouse camp was beyond beautiful.

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago