Hiding Mdescs: Ways to Implement It

Started by nauta, January 06, 2016, 01:46:08 PM

I wouldn't mind complete mdesc hiding masks (which is honestly way easier to implement) if we increased alternative ways of gathering identifying information on a masked person.

Some random ideas --

Add more smells to people.  Have they been riding a smelly mount recently?  A beetle, or a lizard?    Drinking a particular drink, eating a particular food or cure?  Skinning animals?  In the slaughterhouse?  In the 'rinth?

Increase the granularity of the height comparisons in assess if possible.

Make it legal for anyone to subdue and even attack people in masks.  Nobody knows who they are, and maybe wearing one is a crime that the soldiers are too lazy to care about.  Remove your mask and you're 'safe' again.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

I think the playerbase has demonstrated in the past that it is straight-up not responsible enough to handle mdesc-hiding gear.  If you're a rogue who does rogue things to other PCs, you're just going to have to accept the fact that eventually, no mater how careful you are, you won't be able to hang out in the Gaj and chat like a normal person, unless you sell your soul to the Templarate.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on January 27, 2016, 02:20:01 PM
Quote from: Delirium on January 27, 2016, 02:09:30 PM
If it means people would stop wearing ridiculous masks 24/7 or at least take them off at the bar to drink, I'm all for it.
Amen sista! Masks should have a condition on them that steadily lowers your wisdom the longer you have them on, since they're basically the Ed Hardy shirts of Zalanthas.

This killed me. lol
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: CodeMaster on January 28, 2016, 12:08:20 PM
Increase the granularity of the height comparisons in assess if possible.

Everybody justs stacks their PC the top of the height range anyway. Doubtful how helpful this would be.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Well, I really hope I don't hear the same folks arguing against Mdesc hiding, gear complaining that there is a -Lack of Conflict- in a few months.

Though it would make me laugh.

Quote from: hopeandsorrow on January 29, 2016, 12:41:35 PM
Well, I really hope I don't hear the same folks arguing against Mdesc hiding, gear complaining that there is a -Lack of Conflict- in a few months.

Though it would make me laugh.

I think the mdesc-hiding gear was actually more dangerous for the people who possessed it than for anyone else.  Like having a metal weapon or something...-everyone- wanted it, and was just waiting for a chance to gank you for it.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 29, 2016, 12:59:54 PMI think the mdesc-hiding gear was actually more dangerous for the people who possessed it than for anyone else.  Like having a metal weapon or something...-everyone- wanted it, and was just waiting for a chance to gank you for it.

I stumbled upon a mask back in 2006.... I have never been PKed so quickly.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Heh,  I guess that could be issue, but I imagine lots of double live PCs, swapping gear depending on situation but... who knows.

I perhaps because of bad experience just have issues with the honor system and there's a solid argument why it doesn't work.  Because it asks a player to purposely lose or purposely allow a shady type to get away with it.  Which is difficult because games gear players to 'win', everyone wants to win, it's instinctual.

There's no way to tell what a victim actually saw... in a realistic sense.  

One of those area's I love if code just took over, so no one could cry foul or have the summon the humility to lose.

Though, would help if everyone didn't take up the pitch forks and torches the moment an antagonist is found.

Quote from: hopeandsorrow on January 29, 2016, 01:38:30 PM
Heh,  I guess that could be issue, but I imagine lots of double live PCs, swapping gear depending on situation but... who knows.

I perhaps because of bad experience just have issues with the honor system and there's a solid argument why it doesn't work.  Because it asks a player to purposely lose or purposely allow a shady type to get away with it.  Which is difficult because games gear players to 'win', everyone wants to win, it's instinctual.

One of those area's I love if code just took over, so no one could cry foul or have the summon the humility to lose.

Though, would help if everyone didn't take up the pitch forks and torches the moment an antagonist is found.

Perhaps true about the winning thing.  The trick is to recognize that winning on Arm means having the best story...  those of us who have realized that tend to have no problem with the honor system. 

See a damning hemote without visible target?  Look around with mild interest for a moment, go back to trying to bang the tressy aide. 

Feel a failed picking attempt?  Swat at the side of your cloak in annoyance, keep trying to bang Lord Templar Hardnose. 

Unfortunately those who have yet to unlock the deeper mystery of this secret still tend to spamscan and autobash instead of paying attention to what Armageddon is really about, which is fucking bitches.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on January 29, 2016, 02:21:58 PM
Unfortunately those who have yet to unlock the deeper mystery of this secret still tend to spamscan and autobash instead of paying attention to what Armageddon is really about, which is fucking bitches.

https://youtu.be/OPf0YbXqDm0
"Hello, you fellows! You're the very animals I was coming to see! Come along! Hop up! We'll go for a jolly ride! The open road, the dusty highway. Come! I'll show you the world. Travel, change, excitement..!" -Wind in the Willows

I'm sure the coders for this game could code up a Mdesc hiding garment in no time.  I would just hazard to guess, they don't feel like it.

And for the record, I want this as a thing, but I also am a realist.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

I doubt that's the issue, and it kind of trivializes the work the coders do. The MUD used to have these items, so I'd be willing to bet that they could just load up some old items from the database to the local merchants if they wanted it in the game. No extra code necessary. (Just guessing.)

The "realist" side of things is that this is at least the 3rd time someone has started this thread since these items were removed, so it's doubtful that staff actually wants them in game.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Eh. Even if staff wanted a way to hide Mdescs in-game it wouldn't have to be like it was and it could easily just not be going in becuase it's low on a priority list.

I actually meant to say something like this when fourtwenty was complaining about lots of things being asked for never going in and things never asked for going in instead: It doesn't matter how simple something is to implement, or how long it has been asked for. When you're given an ever-increasing to-do list that's being added to both from player and staff ideas, you're going to have things continually fall off. And other things will go in that not everyone is asking for. That's just how implementation of ideas work in any game more complicated than a pen and paper RPG.

Quote from: Malifaxis on January 29, 2016, 02:21:58 PM
Quote from: hopeandsorrow on January 29, 2016, 01:38:30 PM

Perhaps true about the winning thing.  The trick is to recognize that winning on Arm means having the best story...  those of us who have realized that tend to have no problem with the honor system. 

See a damning hemote without visible target?  Look around with mild interest for a moment, go back to trying to bang the tressy aide. 

Feel a failed picking attempt?  Swat at the side of your cloak in annoyance, keep trying to bang Lord Templar Hardnose. 

This is pretty much it. It's why I had to give up the dudes

Staff removed mdesc-hiding masks for some reason. Would have to ask a vet.

Storytime.

I found a veiled hat once, in some dusty storeroom, or something. I forget where I got it, but, I had it. This was after they'd been largely removed from the game.

It wasn't a particularly expensive or fancy looking hat.

I was debating on whether to ask staff to remove the flag or to just keep it and use it responsibly, when a character finds out I have it, and immediately offers me a whole heaping of money.

"It's just a hat," I say. "Nothing fancy."

Yes, well, they are still going to give me a couple thousand coin for it. They insist. They seemed amazed that was all I wanted for it.

I asked staff to remove the mdesc-hiding flag from it.

They did.

I sold the hat.

I'm not sorry.

Dick move, bro.

I've never possessed one of them, but I got the legit "drop pack" treatment from a bunch of Blackmoon raiders with the black leather masks, once.

p.s. you should feel sorry

I'm sure they were able to spam PP back up to solvency soon enough.

Personality-disorder-based ethics:  fraud is okay as long as a) you don't like the person or b) they'll get over it.

Ph.D. here I come.

But that's the thing. I told them it wasn't worth that much money. They insisted on giving it. For entirely OOC reasons.

So... I'm okay with it.

Quote from: Delirium on February 09, 2016, 04:42:51 PM
But that's the thing. I told them it wasn't worth that much money. They insisted on giving it. For entirely OOC reasons.

So... I'm okay with it.

if placed into that position

i would have done the same thing.

you have nothing to apologize for.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on February 09, 2016, 04:56:55 PM
Quote from: Delirium on February 09, 2016, 04:42:51 PM

So... I'm okay with it.

if placed into that position

i would have done the same thing.

you have nothing to apologize for.

Seriously.

My post calling everyone assholes got deleted. :(