Weapons Out!

Started by nauta, December 25, 2015, 03:24:16 PM

Stepping aside from the code considerations, I really like the "Weapons out!" moment and the image of a war group arming themselves before leaving the gate. It's a sign that shit may about to get real as you leave civilization behind.

'no u' in any shape or form does nothing to make this a better thread. Stop it.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Cry me a river. The objections and critiques in this thread are no less thought-out or presented than the original idea.

Guys, please, watch it. Either discourse can be had, or I'm going to start moderating.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 30, 2015, 01:15:54 PM
Stepping aside from the code considerations, I really like the "Weapons out!" moment and the image of a war group arming themselves before leaving the gate. It's a sign that shit may about to get real as you leave civilization behind.

I like this too.  It's sort of team-building.  "It's just us now guys, against a whole world that wants us dead.  I've got your back, you've got mine."

December 30, 2015, 05:05:47 PM #81 Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:38:39 PM by nauta
Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 30, 2015, 01:56:29 PM
Cry me a river. The objections and critiques in this thread are no less thought-out or presented than the original idea.

Hey Badskeelz!

Which idea are your criticizing?  If it's the autodraw idea, then here's the proposal.  It's still not thought out, but I don't see why you'd be against it, other than on the grounds that it's new code, and there are better things for the coders to fuss with (and then we totally agree).

autodraw (a toggle): if an NPC makes a move to attack, you will automatically draw your weapons, because being unarmed sucks.  Unlike with draw, there is no delay and you'd always draw before the attack happened.  And if you want to suck like a gick breed elf, you can do nosave autodraw to not automatically draw.

So, there's no fuss no muss: if a spider jumps out of nowhere, you will quickly draw your weapon before it can attack you.

Unless there's something I'm missing.  I also agree with the view that there's nothing wrong with badass Zalanthans charging out of the gates weapons out, especially units of soldiers.  I just also think that my wrists would get tired after a while.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Personally I think that would take away from the RP. A assassin creeps up on his unarmed victim. LOOK he magically has all his weapons in hands.

Quote from: Sinister on December 30, 2015, 05:08:24 PM
Personally I think that would take away from the RP. A assassin creeps up on his unarmed victim. LOOK he magically has all his weapons in hands.

Definitely.  It'd be limited to NPCs -- PCs would not be affected.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on December 30, 2015, 05:05:47 PM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 30, 2015, 01:56:29 PM

Hey Badskeelz!

Hi Nauta!

I've disliked every single one of your ideas in this thread.

Thematically, I feel that riding around armed is the proper thing to do in the setting and for what (most of) our characters are. I think we'd lose more than we'd gain by making Arm more "realistic" in this regard.

Taking exception to characters riding around with their weapons in their hands seems a ridiculous quibble when we play in a world of giant insects, niinja dinosaurs, All Terrain Elves, magickers, and hairless dorfs who aren't going blind.

Trying to "correct" it with code (like your autodraw) is a solution in search of a problem. It isn't necessary, it would distract our coders from other issues, and even if implemented it ultimately adds nothing.

You would also have to overhaul the entire NPC engagement/combat system to make riding unarmed anything less than a death sentence.

Finally, there is nothing stopping you personally from playing a PC that is too weak to actually ride around arm. Please feel free to do so, more power to you. But there's no reason to inconvenience the rest of the playerbase with something that makes only you happy.

I pretend they put their weapons in their lap or something on occasion. It's not like they're just held at a rigid, unmoving position their entire ride through the desert.
Whatever happens, happens.

Quote from: Jingo on December 29, 2015, 02:38:15 PMAnd I certainly wasn't expecting anyone to ridicule what I thought would be a rule of cool idea.

lol noob

l2gdb
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

I think every facet of this subject has been discussed to exhaustion, and to avoid further sniping and uncharitable remarks I'll go ahead and lock this thread.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."