Weapons Out!

Started by nauta, December 25, 2015, 03:24:16 PM

There's a lot of things you have to do to accommodate the code in this game.  We just accept it and move on.  You intentionally just ignore it.  It's part of playing this game, or any game really.

If you're arbitrarily going to pick something from all the things we have to do to criticize in someone's RP, then pick something else.  Because really, it's no big deal unless you make it a big deal, and that's a choice -you- make.  It's already brutal out there, and this will make it ridiculously worse.

Besides, one of the greatest moments in any of my PC's lives is when they forget to empty a hand and the beetle still -moves-.  It's always a wonderful milestone.

You can feel free to make fun of my character always riding around with his sword out with your character.

And then you can do it on your next character, and your next character, and your next...   :P
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

Quote from: nauta on December 27, 2015, 10:30:00 AM
Quote from: hyzhenhok on December 27, 2015, 03:54:06 AM
But...having weapons equipped or not while riding actual has serious code consequences to both your riding and your combat.

In a sense this is right, but in another sense it isn't.  At present, the way it -looks- to a casual observer, then, yes, it looks as if we have a binary affair: weapon sheathed / weapons out.  But from what I gather up above, things aren't as binary.

It is binary. When an item is vaguely, generally about your person but not held or equipped in a certain place, that's what your inventory space is for. Roleplaying that an item is floating in your inventory when you've actually ep'd it is like using backstab on someone and roleplaying that you were just trying to knock them out. When you have a better coded alternative for what you're trying to play out, and the coded difference is relevant to the situation at hand, I don't think you can justify doing one thing and roleplaying that you did the other.

Quote from: Refugee on December 27, 2015, 03:46:53 PM
There's a lot of things you have to do to accommodate the code in this game.  We just accept it and move on.  You intentionally just ignore it.  It's part of playing this game, or any game really.

If you're arbitrarily going to pick something from all the things we have to do to criticize in someone's RP, then pick something else.  Because really, it's no big deal unless you make it a big deal, and that's a choice -you- make.  It's already brutal out there, and this will make it ridiculously worse.

There's lots of things we ignore, but this isn't arbitrarily picking something out. Making a choice to do something codedly when that choice has coded effects that are very relevant to the situation at hand and then roleplaying that you didn't do that coded thing seems very clearly over the line to me. It is not comparable to stuff like not bothering to take off your helmet and sunslits and armored gauntlets every time you enter a tavern out of coded convenience.

I think it's important to remember that we're talking about weapons out while riding (or running) for miles and miles and miles.  I think there might be three schools of thought on the subject (judging from the above):

1. It's realistic.  Period.  We're motherfucking Zalanthans.  That's how we roll.  Kiss that muscle.  Right there.

2. It's unrealistic, but just RP around the code -- use emotes to act as if a drawn weapon isn't drawn.

3. It's unrealistic -and- it's a bit of a cheat.

For my part, I kind of think it's a bit unrealistic -- at least if there's no concomitant hit to endurance after a period of time.  I'm not sure if I'm (2) or (3), however.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Infantry marches for ten, twenty, thirty, fourty miles, at a quick pace, with weapons out. This can get quite tiresome with an M-249, much less and M-60 or M-240B, which is why those with the proper build are usually chosen for such weapons. Also, Zalanthans do tend to be a lot stronger and tougher than your average earthling.

Quote from: Jingo on December 27, 2015, 03:21:54 PM
Maybe some of us like the idea of a lone ranger that needs to draw his gun and not have it his mega dexterous hands at all times.

So have your character keep their weapons sheathed until it's time to draw, partner.

Nothing stopping you.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

The lone ranger comes upon a dusty traveler in the middle of the desert. Both of their weapons are sheathed. They nod respectfully toward each other and begin to go in opposite directions, neither of them looking back.

I have actually had that exact scenario happen, usually out foraging or something though.

If you don't want to ride around wielding a weapon, you're welcome to do so.

Enjoy your RP superiority on your many, many new characters.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on December 27, 2015, 05:21:18 PM
Quote from: Refugee on December 27, 2015, 03:46:53 PM
There's a lot of things you have to do to accommodate the code in this game.  We just accept it and move on.  You intentionally just ignore it.  It's part of playing this game, or any game really.

If you're arbitrarily going to pick something from all the things we have to do to criticize in someone's RP, then pick something else.  Because really, it's no big deal unless you make it a big deal, and that's a choice -you- make.  It's already brutal out there, and this will make it ridiculously worse.

There's lots of things we ignore, but this isn't arbitrarily picking something out. Making a choice to do something codedly when that choice has coded effects that are very relevant to the situation at hand and then roleplaying that you didn't do that coded thing seems very clearly over the line to me. It is not comparable to stuff like not bothering to take off your helmet and sunslits and armored gauntlets every time you enter a tavern out of coded convenience.

Ah.  I obviously wasn't clear.  I didn't mean to ignore people RPing that they aren't armed when they are, which seems kinda lame to me too since they'll get the coded benefit. 

I mean to ignore that we ride around with our weapons out because ... code.  We're all a bunch of badass harsh-world survivor sorts with battle beetles that we steer with our legs and seats like a well-trained cutting horse.  But if you're not that, do feel free to leave your sword in your sheath! 

Unless your sergeant orders you to arm yourself, in which case, suck it up and take the consequences.

Quote from: nauta on December 27, 2015, 05:29:29 PM
I think it's important to remember that we're talking about weapons out while riding (or running) for miles and miles and miles. 

Problem being with this, is that the critters encountered magickally appear right next to you as soon as you or they enter a room.  Fix this so there is time to "draw sword" between "An xxx arrives" and "An xxx slashes at you delivering a grievous wound.  You reel from the blow."  and this becomes less of an issue.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

December 27, 2015, 06:44:14 PM #38 Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:53:34 PM by KankWhisperer
Stealthed NPCs are going to have a field day with these new no-weapon role players.

I mean NPCs will totally respect your role-play choices!

Quote from: KankWhisperer on December 27, 2015, 06:44:14 PM
Stealthed NPCs are going to have a field day with these new no-weapon role players.

Kagors rising.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: Asanadas on December 27, 2015, 05:00:00 PM
You can feel free to make fun of my character always riding around with his sword out with your character.

And then you can do it on your next character, and your next character, and your next...   :P

Nominate best post in thread.  :D
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on December 27, 2015, 07:01:14 PM
Quote from: Asanadas on December 27, 2015, 05:00:00 PM

And then you can do it on your next character, and your next character, and your next...   :P

Nominate best post in thread.  :D

Seconded. KankWhisperer makes good points too.

It just depends on context Nauta. While riding around out in the desert with weapons codedly drawn but RP'ing as if they are just at the ready -- it's no big deal. Your character is in theory on the lookout for dangers and you just want to be codedly prepared for that. No one's gonna think that you're cheating.

However, if you and your main squeeze are mudsexing in an apartment and roleplaying as if you're naked with clothes and armor tossed all around but actually you're fully armored with weapons drawn scanning and listening while crafting a travel cake -- we tread into the realm of people thinking you're being an idiot  :P

Quote from: Jave on December 27, 2015, 07:22:31 PM
However, if you and your main squeeze are mudsexing in an apartment and roleplaying as if you're naked with clothes and armor tossed all around but actually you're fully armored with weapons drawn scanning and listening while crafting a travel cake -- we tread into the realm of people thinking you're being an idiot  :P

What's wrong with that? I just happen to be very good at multi-tasking.

OP: 'what's the deal with weapons drawn everywhere huh'

Response: 'git gud scrub'

/thread
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on December 27, 2015, 07:45:05 PM
OP: 'what's the deal with weapons drawn everywhere huh'

Response: 'git gud scrub'

/thread

My main concern was this becoming some kind of trend of wanting people to be suicidal for no real gain. I also don't think it warrants Staff coding time, personally. I also don't think it is all that unrealistic. I've hiked around all day with a hatchet or machete for example and I'm no Zalanthian.

Really it's if you want to play 'hard mode' for your own jollies. I roll all random stats and never store. I don't expect everyone to do that, however.

You as a player are free to make the decision to ride without your weapons out.

You could even set up client-side triggers that would automatically draw your weapons in combat, if you have the know-how.

The odds of any sort of auto-draw function being added are slim for both code and balance reasons that I'm not going to get into on the GDB.

I wonder if you can set up an autodraw script for yourself.

Take into account EVERY SINGLE mob animal that exists outside. Now create a script that draws when ANY of those arrive.

Now you can ride outside, with weapon sheathed.

Hope nobody stole it while you weren't looking.

Wildcards bro. Have it trigger when * arrives from the east.

Quote from: Akariel on December 28, 2015, 11:29:43 AM
Wildcards bro. Have it trigger when * arrives from the east.

I haven't tested this in tintin++:

#action {^%* has arrived from the {west|east|north|south|up|down}} {stand; draw bone.sword; draw bone.sword; pem nipples stiffen.}

(I'd also have to test the lag from draw vs. the non-lag from angry things like carru and mekillots or whatever.  Also, the stand is in there because I often mudsex outside.)

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago