Weapons Out!

Started by nauta, December 25, 2015, 03:24:16 PM

Well. Hm. The issue with wildcards is that applies to... -everything-.

* arrives from the east

instadraw

You want it to react to npcs because they're the danger, not pcs.

Unless you want it to react to PCs. I dunno.

You guys drew weapons on Sandy Claws during Githmas ... yeah I think our playerbase would draw weapons on each other as quickly as an NPC  :P

I envision a situation where with in a tense meeting where tempers are high between random elements of criminality, mercenaries, and hunters.

The talks are near a conclusion, for once there will be no blood shed but then suddenly...

A rat arrives from west.

The mid level power structure flattens out in one spam fest.

Kind of wish it would happen.

Quote from: Saellyn on December 28, 2015, 06:46:16 PM

* arrives from the east

instadraw

That's where you get into regex. Though I am not sure I'd want to autodraw since drawing a weapon incurs a delay.

Dying to a mekillot because you are set to autodraw your weapons upon their arrival would be... hilarious I guess.

December 29, 2015, 12:44:32 PM #54 Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:51:32 PM by KankWhisperer

Quote from: Delirium on December 29, 2015, 12:29:02 PM
Quote from: Saellyn on December 28, 2015, 06:46:16 PM

* arrives from the east

instadraw

That's where you get into regex. Though I am not sure I'd want to autodraw since drawing a weapon incurs a delay.

Dying to a mekillot because you are set to autodraw your weapons upon their arrival would be... hilarious I guess.

Yep.  I thought the suggestion to client-side it was in jest, though.  The only (non suicidal) solution would be to do it server-side, granted that charging beasts will gore before you can draw your weapons under the current code regime.  (Other suggestions above are interesting too: give some delay between the 'X arrives' and 'X attacks' and allow us to look around corners.)

But, from what I can tell, it's just a peculiar quirk of Armageddon code, and so we should always have weapons drawn; the way things stand now code-wise, this is the only option and I guess we just suspend disbelief a little.

(On an unrelated note, I find it a little humorous what you can and can't do while resting.  I can't open this ceramic tube or my belt, but I -can- continue wielding my two weapons, draw, and sheath.)

Point of discussion: Would people not autoflee as much (and would more variety in wilderness RP occur) if this peculiarity were smoothed out?  On the one hand, I like how it is pretty 'tense' out there; on the other hand, it does seem to limit the sorts of flavor roles one can pursue outside the city.  (I like how the rinth worked in this regards: the NPCs were not aggro so you could wander around and play that flavor role of a poor urchin without any fear of NPC death.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Wilderness RP... with NPC animals?

Quote from: nauta on December 29, 2015, 12:44:59 PM
Point of discussion: Would people not autoflee as much (and would more variety in wilderness RP occur) if this peculiarity were smoothed out?  On the one hand, I like how it is pretty 'tense' out there; on the other hand, it does seem to limit the sorts of flavor roles one can pursue outside the city.  (I like how the rinth worked in this regards: the NPCs were not aggro so you could wander around and play that flavor role of a poor urchin without any fear of NPC death.)

No.

The wilderness is wild. It isn't a place for flavor roles, unless you want to be feeding the wildlife.

Incidentally, the only time I've spamfled is when someone drew a weapon in a blacked out room (they didn't know I was there, but seeing it was disconcerting enough that I took no chances). I'm not particularly proud of it, but the fact is that riding around unarmed and drawing a weapon is far more suspicious than riding around while armed.

December 29, 2015, 01:12:27 PM #58 Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:14:36 PM by nauta
Quote from: Marauder Moe on December 29, 2015, 12:53:01 PM
Wilderness RP... with NPC animals?

Yep - kank whisperers and the like.  ;)

'Flavour role' is probably a better way to capture the idea rather than those into bestiality with carru (although, you know...) -- in the rinth you can play a (weaponless) urchin.  Examples in the wild (all possible now, just tack on +"giant bone sword" for now): grebbers, leaf gatherers, wandering minstrels, storytellers, lore gatherers, chalton farmers, chalton farmhands, merchants.  Especially in the tribes, it's hard to believe that everyone in a tribe is a buff combat dude/tte.

I can see the arguments against such roles as being disgustingly anti-Zalanthan; hence the point of discussion.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Those roles can exist already. They just won't exist very long unless they get a buff dude/tte  to watch their back.

Our PCs live in a world of giant insects that can lurk invisibly in stony ground and ninja dinosaurs that can hide behind a blade of grass, so long as they're northwest of us. If you don't want to walk around with a weapon drawn, don't. Either accept you're going to die or hire people who are willing to meet the code on its terms. You'll do a lot more to foster interaction and fun by hiring people to protect you than you would instituting a pointless and detrimental code change like what you've proposed.

Bring in directional look code, and it'll help roleplay here, I'm sure.
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

Holy shit some people are defensive.

I just think it's a damn shame the game works the way it does. I'm not expecting anyone to play a certain way. And I certainly wasn't expecting anyone to ridicule what I thought would be a rule of cool idea.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

December 29, 2015, 03:14:17 PM #62 Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:19:54 PM by Desertman
Quote from: nauta on December 25, 2015, 03:24:16 PM
So.  I'm not much of a combat person -- let's just get that out there.  However, a number of times I've been told, in game, to keep my weapons out while wandering around by superiors or people who want to keep me safe.  This has always bothered me, since, I mean, who the hell walks around, for miles and miles and miles, while riding or while running, with their weapons out?  

I'm assuming you are in the desert?

In Zalanthas, you hardly ever go anywhere without getting attacked a few times on every single trip.

It isn't like going hiking in Yellow Stone and seeing a bear that only attacks you one in fifty thousand encounters....

In Zalanthas you are going to see that bear 98% of the time and 100% of the time that bear is going to attack every single time you get close enough to see it.

Being told to keep a weapon at hand or a shield out is just the realistic day-to-day math of being a travelling Zalanthan.

It's not about if you are going to get attacked. It's about when, and how many times, and how hard is the attack going to hit you.

IRL, you absolutely wouldn't ride for miles and miles with your weapon at hand. Zalanthas is not RL though.

The RL equivalent would be me telling you that you have to go hiking for several miles through the forest. You are told ahead of time you WILL get attacked by two to four bears by surprise at different times before you reach your destination. I give you a sword and tell you that you can carry it, or you can sheathe it on your back.

Are you going to carry the sword in your hand, or are you going to sheathe it on your back?
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on December 29, 2015, 03:14:17 PM
So.  I'm not much of a combat person -- let's just get that out there.  However, a number of times I've been told, in game, to keep my weapons out while wandering around by superiors or people who want to keep me safe.  This has always bothered me, since, I mean, who the hell walks around, for miles and miles and miles, while riding or while running, with their weapons out?  

In Zalanthas, you hardly ever go anywhere without getting attacked a few times on every single trip.

It isn't like going hiking in Yellow Stone and seeing a bear that only attacks you one in fifty thousand encounters....

In Zalanthas you are going to see that bear 98% of the time and 100% of the time that bear is going to attack every single time you get close enough to see it.

Being told to keep a weapon at hand or a shield out is just the realistic day-to-day math of being a travelling Zalanthan.

It's not about if you are going to get attacked. It's about when, and how many times, and how hard is the attack going to hit you.

IRL, you absolutely wouldn't ride for miles and miles with your weapon at hand. Zalanthas is not RL though.

The RL equivalent would be me telling you that you have to go hiking for several miles through the forest. You are told ahead of time you WILL get attacked by two to four bears by surprise at different times before you reach your destination. I give you a sword and tell you that you can carry it, or you can sheathe it on your back.

Are you going to carry the sword in your hand, or are you going to sheathe it on your back?
Stab you because will lose to bears.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on December 29, 2015, 03:22:05 PM
Quote from: Desertman on December 29, 2015, 03:14:17 PM

Stab you because will lose to bears.

Well played Sir.

if my underlings want to be the very best they can be by needlessly risking their lives through small, barely noticeable things that will garner absolutely zero attention from me or the majority of the playerbase

more power to them
Whatever happens, happens.

Quote from: TheWanderer on December 29, 2015, 04:01:02 PM
if my underlings want to be the very best they can be by needlessly risking their lives through small, barely noticeable things that will garner absolutely zero attention from me or the majority of the playerbase

more power to them

Thanks, now this song is in my head.

There's a difference between ridicule and principled disagreement.  If you read my posts in the tone of this:

"Just not a fan."

... it's more accurate to how I intend them when I'm disagreeing with someone's idea.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on December 29, 2015, 12:44:32 PM

JESUS CHRIST WHAT IS THAT GET IT OUT OF THE THREAD

God damn spiders are creepy!

If dying is the most likely outcome of riding with
My weapons sheathed, yeah...weapons out.  IC reason?
I dont wanna get ded, son.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Quote from: WanderingOoze on December 30, 2015, 04:08:18 AM

Sure, now you think that's a good idea

Also this thread's tone is and remains awful
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on December 30, 2015, 10:40:28 AM
Quote from: WanderingOoze on December 30, 2015, 04:08:18 AM

Haha...Yeah, I learned  my lesson.

The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

December 30, 2015, 01:14:03 PM #74 Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:20:11 PM by BadSkeelz
Quote from: Patuk on December 30, 2015, 10:40:28 AM

Just like the idea.

I'll give up being able to ride with weapons out if we also knock out other unrealistic and immersion-breaking factors like magick and non-human races.