Feedback Poll: A new name for Rebel.

Started by Rathustra, November 21, 2015, 06:17:34 PM

Which of the following would be a better name for 'Rebel'?

Outlaw
24 (36.4%)
Drifter
7 (10.6%)
Wastelander
23 (34.8%)
Guerrilla
9 (13.6%)
Outcast
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: November 23, 2015, 06:26:53 PM

November 21, 2015, 06:17:34 PM Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 06:58:44 PM by Rathustra
The REBEL is a subguild with history. It was introduced to provide Tuluki freedom fighters with a suit of skills that lent themselves to guerrilla warfare against the Allanakki oppressors.

Now, after the passage of several King's Ages, the Rebellion is just a legend. The rebels are all dead. Their camps are long-gone, devoured by the forest. But the spirit of the rebel has lived on, providing a mixture of crafting and wilderness skills to characters all across Zalanthas.

Here's the help file:

Subguild Rebel                                                    (Subguilds)

Rebels are skilled in the guerilla arts, including the >ability to
move silently< in the wilderness with a >strong sense of direction<.  
They can construct their own >knives as well as spears<, and they can
>repair armor<.

As part of our subguild spritz, we've given rebels the ability to traverse the rugged terrain in which they're likely to be found hiding, plotting the downfall of oppressive regimes... or possibly just plotting how best to divest wealth from the next lone rider that passes by. We've assembled some possible new names for the subguild here and we'd like you to help us pick one. Please vote!

Also, if you'd like to take a stab at writing a help file for the newly minted subguild, feel free to reply below with your attempt!

Edit: To clarify - the new ability Rebels are being given is the ability to traverse VERTICAL terrain.

I voted for Outlaw, since these skills are kind of tilted towards avoiding or hunting PCs.

There's no skills that actually let you survive the wasteland itself (i.e. forage) so that name doesn't make much sense to me me.

If you gave it riding I feel like drifter would work more.

Outlaw was my vote.

Take away the crafting and give them a little reduced movement cost for walking outdoors.

Not a fan of wastelander. Too fallouty to me. I like outlaw and outcast.

Guerilla.  Only because none of the other names really ring my chimes. Some imply a certain social stigma.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

November 21, 2015, 09:05:44 PM #6 Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 09:12:48 PM by Dresan
The Dune Wanderer:

The dune wanderer is comfortable in the deserts and open spaces of the known, outside the last remaining bastions of civilization. Whether they are raiders, explorers, rebels or just outcasts is a story best told by them. These people have been known to wander through harsh storms without getting lost. Their ability to climb up to find better vantage points or just out of the holes and pits found scattered around the known also assist their survival.  The desert is a dangerous place so they often learn to moving quietly towards a potentially dangerous situation. This often gives the dune wanderer an edge in any encounter against the unwary. Often finding themselves outside of civilization they benefit from learning how to craft their own weapons, such as spears and knives and also maintain their own armor.

Thoughts:
I like the addition of climb, but it needs ride or hide really make it a gem, in exchange for one of those it could lose one of the crafting skills. I vote losing spear-making since making knives is easy and convenient but making a spear sometimes requires help (poles) which goes against the sub-guild theme i feel at least. Armor repair is nice, however it is not something that seems convenient to use without your main guild having skin but still a nice addition.

As nice as wilderness sneak is, its not as amazing as city sneak/hide. It would be okay for elven/breed warriors but not that great for anyone else despite climb, even if I'm playing a sneaky guild, hunter would still be better. If it had the ride or even just wilderness hide skill though, which would fit really well, then it would be a very solid or at least very temping sub-guild for many guild/races.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on November 21, 2015, 07:34:13 PM
Take away the crafting and give them a little reduced movement cost for walking outdoors.

I voted for outlaw. When I think of an outlaw I think of a raider type a raider type. I'd choose to replace their crafting skills with subdue and forage food. The food isn't gourmet but it keeps someone alive while in exile.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I'd prefer Dune wanderer. But failing that I'd go with drifter, since I kinda agree with rogue that waste lander is too Fallout 4.

However all those names would fit the description (drifter less so than wastelander I suppose), I rather not set a job to the sub-guild like raider or outcast but rather leave it open for the player to decide why they find themselves out in the wilds.  

November 21, 2015, 09:37:38 PM #9 Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 09:39:18 PM by Lizzie
Not everyone plays Fallout. The only place I've ever heard the term is in Armageddon. It seems appropriate, to me. Someone who spends a lot of time in the Wastes - is a Wastelander. We have a Wastes - and we've had them since before Fallout was invented. Perhaps if you asked the designers of Fallout, they'd tell you that they heard about the term on Armageddon and thought it was cool so they added it to their game. :)

Also Dresan, people can call it whatever they want once they're in the game. The point of the thread is to determine what the option title will be in chargen, when the player is asked "which sub-guild will you pick?"
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

November 21, 2015, 09:57:48 PM #10 Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 09:59:49 PM by Dresan
Quote from: Lizzie on November 21, 2015, 09:37:38 PM
Also Dresan, people can call it whatever they want once they're in the game. The point of the thread is to determine what the option title will be in chargen, when the player is asked "which sub-guild will you pick?"

The point of the thread is to get feedback on rebel sub-guild's name change, and that is what I'm doing. In my opinion the name wastelander is a bit of a jarring word to say, and not something I'd personally like to see even as the option title.That said, it is not a big deal. You are right after all, i mean no one calls themselves a ranger in the game.  If that is the name everyone wants that is fine, and it does seems to be popular.

But it doesn't change my opinion, and the fact that feedback was asked, and thus given.  So yeah... :-\

I like the idea of Wastelander because it is, in fact, descriptive of the area such a person would be LIKELY to inhabit. It doesn't have a negative connotation like Outlaw or Outcast, Guerilla doesn't make a lot of sense in a desert-like environment, and only Drifter would contend otherwise. But a Wastelander is someone who prefers or actually DOES reside in the wastes, whereas a Drifter would be someone comfortable in them but likely lives somewhere else.

So. I voted Wastelander. If Fallout 4 hadn't just come out I don't know that it'd have the same pushback.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I voted outcast, but really I have no qualms with any of the names, including Rebel.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

November 21, 2015, 10:50:59 PM #13 Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:53:10 PM by Dresan
Quote from: Riev on November 21, 2015, 10:20:52 PM
If Fallout 4 hadn't just come out I don't know that it'd have the same pushback.

Now that is interesting.

I wonder why the environments of Fallout feel like wastes, but the desert-like environments of this game don't bring the word 'wastes' to mind. They certainly can be considered 'wastes' after all. Perhaps it is because despite being dry, harsh, bleak and sometimes barren, its still the environment my characters have grown up in. They don't know the lush forests and rivers I know,or see the many ruins of civilization like in fallout. After all allanak/tuluk/luirs look as good as they ever did. I guess they also know that despite how barren and bleak it can look at times, there are animals to hunt, resources to gather, even water if you know where to look.  I can't help but think to them, it isn't a ruined wasteland, its just home sweet home.

Just idle thoughts, the name doesn't matter, its all good in the end.  :)

Fallout's apocalypse is recent. The world is a wasteland because better times are in fresh memory. Zalanthans have lived as they have for over a thousand years; their world simply is.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I like drifter, wastelander.

Related: vagabond, marauder, exile, freebooter ... highwayman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi94mMed6EQ
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

They're all such cool names.

WHY NOT JUST NAME IT ALL THOSE NAMES?

Subguild Outlaw Drifter Highwayman Wastelander Guerrilla Outcast Rebel                                                    (Subguilds)

Outlaw Drifter Highwayman Wastelander Guerrilla Outcast Rebels are skilled in the guerilla arts, including the >ability to
move silently< in the wilderness with a >strong sense of direction<. 
They can construct their own >knives as well as spears<, and they can
>repair armor< and >traverse vertical terrain<[/quote]
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Subguild Badass

Badasses are skilled in the guerilla arts, including the >ability to move silently< in the wilderness with a >strong sense of direction<.
They can construct their own >knives as well as spears, and they can >repair armor< and >traverse vertical terrain<.

Actual crack at writing a new sguild description

Quote"Rebels are skilled in the guerilla arts, including the ability to move silently in the wilderness with a strong sense of direction. They can even climb vertical terrain, the better to ambush the enemy. Often operating without much support, they are able to craft their own knives and spears and maintain their own armor."

If we end up with a subguild wastelander, then it should be a little more amped up. I think we should rename outdoorsman to wastelander and rename rebel to outdoorsman. A person who can make a couple of things out of sticks and get around ok is outdoorsy. A person who can ride, move stealthily, use a bow and track and skin animals is truly one at home in the wastes.

I went with outlaw on the poll though, because it makes the most sense given the supposed rebel roots.

Rover, wanderer
Nomad, vagabond
Call me what you will

Whereever I may roam
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

i suggest the subtraction of drifter and the addition of wanderer to your list.

i would vote for that. in its stead, wastelander
Whatever happens, happens.

Desertman!  (Or Desertboy.)

Or, more seriously, since the original concept motivating the term 'rebel' has dropped out (as Rath said), but the concept seems to still be someone who is not a nomad but still kind of martial: raider.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago