Feedback Poll: A new name for Rebel.

Started by Rathustra, November 21, 2015, 06:17:34 PM

Which of the following would be a better name for 'Rebel'?

Outlaw
24 (36.4%)
Drifter
7 (10.6%)
Wastelander
23 (34.8%)
Guerrilla
9 (13.6%)
Outcast
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: November 23, 2015, 06:26:53 PM

I think the only skills I would need on an outlaw subguild for a non-ranger would be climb and wilderness quit.  If there a subguild that only had those two, I'd take it, even if it didn't have directional sense or any of the other skills rebel already has.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Yeah if we are going to do "Outlaw", wilderness quit seems like a necessity in a lot of ways. Outlaws aren't exactly the "Put Down Roots" sorts usually.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Wilderness quit seems nearly trivial these days to me. You just need to know where the wilderness quit rooms are. And if they're too dangerous or far to get to you can quit OOC. I'd never take a subguild with only climb and wilderness quit.

You clearly overestimate how available quit rooms are and underestimate how suddenly/frequently people might need to log out.

You can't quit OOC twice in a row, either.

There are classes and subguilds that absolutely should have wilderness quit yet ranger is the only one with access to it.

Just make it so everyone can quit out everywhere and call it a wrap. Quitting is an OOC mechanism, not an IC one.

Quote from: Delirium on November 23, 2015, 12:45:49 PM
You clearly overestimate how available quit rooms are and underestimate how suddenly/frequently people might need to log out.

There are classes and subguilds that absolutely should have wilderness quit yet ranger is the only one with access to it.

Just make it so everyone can quit out everywhere and call it a wrap. Quitting is an OOC mechanism, not an IC one.

Related: RGS's solution privileges veterans over novices, since it relies on knowledge of where Quit rooms are.  I had a recent case where I wanted to explore a certain area (that didn't have quit rooms very close by) but my busy schedule meant I pretty much couldn't.  I'm all sorts of for more wilderness quit, for casuals, those of us with busy schedules, and also, especially, for outlaws -- raiders need all the help they can get.  (You could call it Inlaw instead of Outlaw: for when the inlaws come.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I agree people should be able to quit ooc as many times in a row as they want.

But I'm just going to go ahead and quote myself here.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 23, 2015, 12:33:43 PM
Wilderness quit seems nearly trivial these days to me.

I wasn't giving any solutions, I was explaining why a subguild with only wilderness quit and climb would be incredibly unappealing... to me.

Quote from: Case on November 22, 2015, 01:35:03 PM
Outdoorsboy

Why not Outdoorsgirl?     I'm so fucking triggered.

Check your fucking privilege, patriarchy sympathising slumlord/lady/xad.
Quote from: boog
I'm still trying to figure out how all that led to Symphony, naked, squatting in a towel on a busy highway to talk to a therapist

Quote from: Delirium on November 23, 2015, 12:45:49 PM

This... please.

I play lots of rangers, beyond their awesome skill set.  Wilderness quit is too much of... a need some days for me.

It's that or risking a character every time my toddler tries to sneak out of bed at midnight or my cat decided to lock himself in mortal combat with a lamp.  I'm sure any parent/pet owner could sympathize.

Quote from: ghostymudy on November 23, 2015, 02:56:41 PM
Quote from: Case on November 22, 2015, 01:35:03 PM
Outdoorsboy

Why not Outdoorsgirl?     I'm so fucking triggered.

Girls have the house servant and apothecary options!

Quote from: ghostymudy on November 23, 2015, 02:56:41 PM
They're called Founding Fathers for a reason yo

Still no female rulers in Zalanthas.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Let's stay on topic please :)
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Outlaw makes it sound too much like it would come with steal and pistol-whipping.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Outlaw makes much more sense than Wastelander. I mean this class doesn't come with skin or food forage. Pretty simple.

Outdoorsman-lite, then.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Is there an extended subguild that gives food forage, climb, direction sense, and outdoor quit?

November 23, 2015, 05:21:39 PM #41 Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 05:23:26 PM by BadSkeelz
Quote from: AdamBlue on November 23, 2015, 05:11:24 PM
Is there an extended subguild that gives food forage, climb, direction sense, and outdoor quit?

There are no subguilds, extended or otherwise, that give outdoor quit.

I think Grebber gives everything else you ask for.

Quote from: Malken on November 23, 2015, 04:45:01 PM
Outlaw makes it sound too much like it would come with steal and pistol-whipping.

If Outlaw/Rebel and Thug were combined into an extended "Raider" subguild...

Kick subdue flee sap wilderness-sneak climb direction-sense armor-repair spear+knife-making.... Mmmm.....

November 23, 2015, 05:21:56 PM #42 Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 05:27:09 PM by Inks
Just wanted to say rebel will be a real powerhouse now.

Now give Acrobat throw please.

I played a pretty long lived character with the rebel subguild a while ago. I think the addition to climb is HUGE. I'm honestly a little worried about the power of this subguild if it has access to climb as well now, let alone giving it wilderness quit. I'll probably respond in 3-4 hours with a writeup for the help file.

That said my personal preference is wastelander. I think the names Outlaw and Guerilla are bad names for the same reason that you are moving away from the name Rebel. Outcast and Drifter are fine names, and I only picked Wastelander over them because I like the sound of it. I think the new name should definitely NOT imply a militant outlaw background, because it should be left to the character to do that if they so chose.

If I could pick any name to give the Rebel, it would be Pioneer. The definition of pioneer is "a plant or animal capable of establishing itself in a bare, barren, or open area and initiating an ecological cycle ".
This impresses the idea that the subguild is for those that want to explore and interact with the wastes, perhaps even spend long times away from established towns and cities, and it lets you, by allowing you to fix your gear and make new gear as stuff breaks down.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: lostinspace on November 23, 2015, 05:57:14 PM
If I could pick any name to give the Rebel, it would be Pioneer. The definition of pioneer is "a plant or animal capable of establishing itself in a bare, barren, or open area and initiating an ecological cycle ".
This impresses the idea that the subguild is for those that want to explore and interact with the wastes, perhaps even spend long times away from established towns and cities, and it lets you, by allowing you to fix your gear and make new gear as stuff breaks down.

My objection to "Pioneer" is the same as "Wastelander": nothing this subguild has actually allows you to establish or survive in the wasteland. You don't have forage food and water, you don't have hunt.

The subguild's built for foot travel through the wilderness while evading detection.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on November 23, 2015, 06:03:27 PM
Quote from: lostinspace on November 23, 2015, 05:57:14 PM

My objection to "Pioneer" is the same as "Wastelander": nothing this subguild has actually allows you to establish or survive in the wasteland. You don't have forage food and water, you don't have hunt.

The subguild's built for foot travel through the wilderness while evading detection.

Scout.

November 23, 2015, 06:22:02 PM #47 Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 06:23:43 PM by lostinspace
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 23, 2015, 06:08:11 PM
Scout.

Actually yes, this is pretty much perfect.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 23, 2015, 06:08:11 PM
Scout.

I like it. Not sure I like it more than Outlaw, but I like it better than the other choices.