Arboretum revamp discussion

Started by ArmageddonMUD, November 17, 2015, 10:47:38 PM

You can discuss the Arboretum revamp here.

YES GODDAMMIT ALLANAK HAS NEEDED THIS FOR SO LONG

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Questions:
What is this.
Where is it.
Are there whores involved.

Quote from: Jihelu on November 17, 2015, 10:58:34 PM
Questions:
What is this.
Where is it.
Are there whores involved.

The Arboretum is a super high class place which now Commoners can visit and gaze upon their betters.

It's on Meleth's Circle in Allanak

If by whores you mean finely bred and trained pleasure slaves then maybe.

So how are we supposed to treat the new location?

Just an ooc move of the Arboretum's location for convenience, or did that actually happen in game?

All IC. You can read some of this on the IC boards. The building is expanded.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

The entrance is now south of the water temple.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

Ohhhh man. This is so fucking awesome. Now there is truly a visual difference between the upper crust and the plebs. Really really well done.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Right next to the Borsail vomitarium.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Renenutet on November 18, 2015, 12:20:36 AM
The entrance is now south of the water temple.

Note this means the dragon water temple, not the Vivadu temple...

Oh frabjous day! Allanak has a Trader's Inn again! Great descriptions in there, whoever wrote them. I find it suitably thematic that commoners now get a glimpse of sheer opulence just out of reach from them. It does more for the setting than having it simply closed did.

Also, nicely written board post spreading the word of the update.

If I can allow one small critique, was there a) any visible development indicating the construction before hand or did it just appear overnight and b) it's not exactly in the same location as the original arboretum, is this meant to be an actual move and if so what has become of the old facility? A locked up, abandoned building could lead to some interesting scenarios.

Quote from: Suhuy on November 18, 2015, 03:42:52 AM
Oh frabjous day! Allanak has a Trader's Inn again! Great descriptions in there, whoever wrote them. I find it suitably thematic that commoners now get a glimpse of sheer opulence just out of reach from them. It does more for the setting than having it simply closed did.

If I can allow one small critique, was there a) any visible development indicating the construction before hand or did it just appear overnight and b) it's not exactly in the same location as the original arboretum, is this meant to be an actual move and if so what has become of the old facility? A locked up, abandoned building could lead to some interesting scenarios.

There was previous visible development, including ambient echoes indicating construction, and also some rumors on the IC boards iirc.

It seems that the old building has been altered to be a garden viewable from the upper gallery in the new building.

Quote from: Erythil on November 18, 2015, 04:29:01 AM

There was previous visible development, including ambient echoes indicating construction, and also some rumors on the IC boards iirc.

It seems that the old building has been altered to be a garden viewable from the upper gallery in the new building.

Gotcha.

The original entrance and that whole section of the road look as though it never had had an arboretum in it. I actually had to do a bit of exploring to find the new arboretum. But I understand a bit of tweaking is sometimes required for OOC convenience. Just asking :)

Nice.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I hope all these bar foods are craftable!

Yes, there was visible development IC.  At the end of August we put some construction laborers into the area where the old entrance was. We then went and put in echo's about construction going on.  The old entrance was in a basically untravelled part of Meleth's circle so I made the decision that the renovations would include a shifting of the entrance. Essentially the blocked up one entrance and expanded their building in another direction.

Just prior to opening up the new entrance the construction crew moved location to where the new door would be. The evidence of past construction in the previous location is gone as they  finished up in that area.

Now it's open we have the IC rumor board posting.

Thanks on this project for the actual building of new rooms, multiple items and new food can go to Renenutet.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Now I actually want to make a noble just to spend my time all day errday there.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

You can spend everyday at the commoner bar. Unless you're an elf. You're not an elf ? >:(

Didn't Traders use to keep out half-elves?  Does the Arboretum have much more lax standards?

Is this a shift in Allanak culture?
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

The same standards are being upheld ;) 
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Does it stop all half-elves or does it let "human" looking half-elves pass? That'd be a weird way to get outed.

Quote from: Delirium on November 18, 2015, 12:11:37 PM
Does it stop all half-elves or does it let "human" looking half-elves pass? That'd be a weird way to get outed.
They might do the infamous "Stride Test".  *shudder*
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: Delirium on November 18, 2015, 12:11:37 PM

Iirc human looking half elves can pass. Elves and elven looking half elves are barred.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff