The Sneaky Noble?

Started by Bast, March 10, 2015, 10:24:25 AM

The player doesn't receive the player complaint. Staff does, so they can monitor it, then ask you about it if they see you're doing something you shouldn't.

The player shouldn't know they've been complained about, if the staff is doing their job right.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 10, 2015, 04:58:05 PM
The player doesn't receive the player complaint. Staff does, so they can monitor it, then ask you about it if they see you're doing something you shouldn't.

The player shouldn't know they've been complained about, if the staff is doing their job right.

Oh, okay.

I guess I meant to make two bigger points that veteran players might be quick to dismiss:

1) Threads like this do have a place on the GDB... at least for the sake of players (like me) who benefit from this kind of general, anonymous feedback about what's right and what's wrong.

2) It paints a bleak picture to imagine people playing anonymous tattle-tale against each other, rather than having an open discussion about something general and harmless like this.  As long as names aren't named and nobody feels put on the spot, it can only be good for the game.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

March 10, 2015, 05:39:46 PM #27 Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 05:58:48 PM by RogueGunslinger
I'm just going to have to disagree entirely. Threads like just just makes any current nobles who were sneaking around feel like shit. Why do that when you could make a complaint that hurts nobody.

Not to mention a forum complaint might never even reach the players who are sneaking around. Where as a Player Complaint, if justified, almost assuredly will.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 10, 2015, 05:39:46 PM
I'm just going to have to disagree entirely. Threads like just just makes any current nobles who were sneaking around feel like shit. Why do that when you could make a complaint that hurts nobody.

Not to mention a forum complaint might never even reach the players who are sneaking around. Where as a Player Complaint, if justified, almost assuredly will.

Agreed, that is a good point. If it's a big deal, file a complaint. If it isn't a big deal, no need to air dirty laundry on the GDB just to public-shame the person and get some people to agree with you.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

Quote from: Down Under on March 10, 2015, 06:11:34 PM
If it's a big deal, file a complaint. If it isn't a big deal, no need to air dirty laundry on the GDB just to public-shame the person and get some people to agree with you.

+1
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

I'm inferring that there's a particular person people have in mind, rather than just the two-year trend Bast described.  In that case, yeah - perhaps a player complaint would have been in order.  Sorry to run against the grain. :)
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: CodeMaster on March 10, 2015, 07:57:57 PM
I'm inferring that there's a particular person people have in mind, rather than just the two-year trend Bast described.  In that case, yeah - perhaps a player complaint would have been in order.  Sorry to run against the grain. :)

Bast stated that she noticed this for the first time two years ago. She also stated:
QuoteThat was about 2 years ago and now its just common thing and no one ever seems to say anything about it.

which makes it clear her complaint is about a current situation happening in the present, not something vague over the past two years. The fact that it's common now, is her complaint. That would imply that nobles commonly sneak around. Since there are a very limited, small amount of noble PCs in the game, it's a pretty specific complaint since it can only be applied to a very limited number of players.

Also, I haven't noticed it. I'd say - I've actually witnessed players of a noble PC sneak - maybe three times, in all the years I've been playing. Meaning - three different PCs - one of them made a habit of it and I thought it was hillarious, and very IC. The others I figured had IC reasons for doing it, and didn't give it another moment's thought.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Literally never seen a noble sneak.

Have seen numerous vomiting up their guts and dying though.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 10, 2015, 08:07:18 PM

lol
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 10, 2015, 08:07:18 PM

There's partyin hard.

Then there's partyin nobly hard.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I would say play your own character the way you want and don't worry what others are doing. Most nobles I have seen are pretty well played.

But if the sneak was done right. Would it not look like the nobles guards are just simply walking down the street like normal living people?
My characters are mean not me!

Quote from: Wday on March 11, 2015, 12:36:28 AM
But if the sneak was done right. Would it not look like the nobles guards are just simply walking down the street like normal living people?

They'll be moving stealthily and failing, so might look somewhat weird.
Alea iacta est

I've seen a handful of stealthy nobles over the years, and it never once occurred that this was poor play.

They usually dressed commonly and did not use guards while snooping.  I didn't see anything wrong with it, honestly, it was just...something different about that particular noble and how they did things.  Again, I think we kind of impress 'what nobles act like and think like' a liiiiittle too far.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on March 11, 2015, 01:25:06 AM
I've seen a handful of stealthy nobles over the years, and it never once occurred that this was poor play.

They usually dressed commonly and did not use guards while snooping.  I didn't see anything wrong with it, honestly, it was just...something different about that particular noble and how they did things.  Again, I think we kind of impress 'what nobles act like and think like' a liiiiittle too far.

nobles are not allowed to be people with feelings and hobbies and personal interests

they must only fulfill the stereotypical archetype defined in their four sentence public blurb
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I remember a certain Tor noble who snuck around all the time. And a particular Borsail noble wasn't too bad at it either, made it very difficult sometimes.

But would I say that was questionable play? No.

I will totally be calling the next tavern I open in game 'The Sneaky Noble' - Thankyou Bast :)
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

March 11, 2015, 07:06:43 AM #42 Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:20:15 AM by Incognito
There are 2 things to consider here:

Noble PCs also start out the same as other PCs - i.e. they don't receive any skill bumps to begin with. The only way for them to raise their skills - is to use them. And, since they don't venture into the seedier areas of town, they are forced to raise their skills in the limited areas that they frequent.

Technically speaking, a noble who has been vetted by his/her House for advancement to public duty - should have these skills already in place. Unfortunately, the game does not allow/reflect this.

So, we're left with 2 options:
1) The noble PC doesn't use his sneaky skills at all, over the entire duration of his life.
2) The other players take things with a pinch of salt, and not view such incidences too literally.

For those players who feel that noble PCs should not have to use ANY sneaky skills at all - I say that that is not a fair premise. Different noble PCs have different skill sets, some may be fighters, others might be skulky and yet others might even be seen haggling in shops (even though they might have money coming out of their ears).....

Would you consider putting in a complaint about a noble PC who was supposed to be a martial expert (and had a title to that effect), but when you sparred with him, he was totally inept? That's the same analogy here....

Alternatively, Staff might wish to consider giving skill bumps to sponsored PCs, for skills that might not seem appropriate for them to be "failing" at.

As far as putting in a Staff Complaint - for sneaky nobles - IMO that really doesn't help anyone or anything in the long run.

Although - I WILL agree - that its stupid to sneak around with a servant/slave in tow. (Of course - one possible solution here is to request Staff to assign an NPC who has sneak/hide abilities, to complement your own sneaky skills).
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

That's the whole point I think that the original poster is saying. The concept of a "sneaky noble" does not fall in line with what being an Allanaki noble is, at least in Arm's history. The point of being a noble is so that you have all of your needs taken care of; you do not do what the common people do and everything done in public is to portray that. that said, playing a noble aaall the time like that is difficult so I think some leeway is possible, but it's not good for the game when people expect a sneaky noble as the norm (or even treat it as if its okay if it is seen regularly IG). That said, if you want to play a character that wants to pursue mundane tasks, a noble is not the role you should be apping for.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

There are times in life when you need to take care of shit yourself. Period.

Thinking for ONE fucking second that the nobility leaves everything, EVERYTHING, in the hands of their minions is dumb/naive as shit.

Noble skulking? Meh, go ahead and be the idiot calling out a noble, that's a good way to be writing up a new character concept.  Feel free to gossip like a mufucka tho. Nobles/Templars should be the only ones calling another noble out.

Nobles entering the rinth and having an ale? Not so much.

Sneaking around like an elf?! How dare you. He/she was highly trained by the Tor Academy.

These are people who aren't told no. Telling them not to sneak is silly.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on March 11, 2015, 08:21:36 AM
These are people who aren't told no. Telling them not to sneak is silly.

Nobles are told no all the time! Only it's more like:

No! Please! No! No!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

If you are having problems with sneaky nobles, think of Varys or Littlefinger.

Those fuckers pop up out of nowhere all the time.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: Incognito on March 11, 2015, 07:06:43 AM
There are 2 things to consider here:

Noble PCs also start out the same as other PCs - i.e. they don't receive any skill bumps to begin with.

Generally incorrect, at least in my experience over the past few years.  Additionally, with skill bumps that you can get from a skill bump application, someone with middling to high karma can be a beast of a noble on top of the skill bumps that might be normally granted for things that a noble of X House might be good at.

As far as putting in a Staff Complaint - for sneaky nobles - IMO that really doesn't help anyone or anything in the long run.

I don't think players should put in a staff complaint to complain about players.  A player complaint would be more appropriate.  Sometimes we do reply to them by saying "you know, you're actually incorrect here, and this is why."
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I keep imagining an opportunity for a Zalanthafied version of The Emporer's New Clothes, wherein a noble's aides pretend not to see him sneaking around.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: flurry on March 11, 2015, 12:05:32 PM
I keep imagining an opportunity for a Zalanthafied version of The Emporer's New Clothes, wherein a noble's aides pretend not to see him sneaking around.

Karma to the player of the PC who convinces a noble that this new suit of clothes is woven of magick gold and gets them to wear it around. (Logs required.)
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"