OOC for consent?

Yes
26 (38.8%)
No
38 (56.7%)
Emote about talking dirty
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

December 26, 2014, 09:36:03 PM #100 Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:20:57 PM by Fujikoma
Hey guys? Guys... cool it on the butt-fingering talk, ok? I didn't consent to this thread. Now I'll have to go wash myself with scalding water to get the sin off of it.

EDIT: :) I guess I have to post that to indicated that I'm joking, or perhaps :P
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

December 27, 2014, 07:26:30 AM #101 Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:38:58 AM by Jingo
I don't honestly think it will be a problem 99% of the time. But I wouldn't put it past the rare (sometimes painfully unrare) shithead to push the line and start sending dirty psi's to an unconsenting character. To the point where it crosses ooc boundries. I think at this point it would be worth a player complaint and staff would be justified to squash it.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 25, 2014, 05:19:24 PM
Quote from: Jingo on December 25, 2014, 04:46:17 PM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 25, 2014, 03:17:54 PM
That's when you kill them then defile/butcher/desecrate their bodies.

I could see this being a problem actually. I remember when some shitheads would post about doing shit with dead body parts and naming the character of said parts.

In such a case, their OOC communication would have been the problem (and also rule-breaking), not their IG actions.  But even then, it has nothing to do with the issue of consent.

The case I was thinking of broke no ic information rules and was discussed several years after the death of the character. But on another level don't you think that molesting the corpse of a character that did not consent to be a sneaky way to get around the consent rule to begin with? Wouldn't you be pretty skeeved out if you learned (regardless of ic info sharing) that someone did this to your character?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on December 27, 2014, 07:36:02 AM

I could see this being a problem actually. I remember when some shitheads would post about doing shit with dead body parts and naming the character of said parts.

In such a case, their OOC communication would have been the problem (and also rule-breaking), not their IG actions.  But even then, it has nothing to do with the issue of consent.

The case I was thinking of broke no ic information rules and was discussed several years after the death of the character. But on another level don't you think that molesting the corpse of a character that did not consent to be a sneaky way to get around the consent rule to begin with? Wouldn't you be pretty skeeved out if you learned (regardless of ic info sharing) that someone did this to your character?
I don't think so. The player didn't have to watch or participate.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

December 27, 2014, 10:57:19 AM #104 Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:59:00 AM by Desertman
Quote from: Barzalene on December 27, 2014, 10:14:09 AM

In such a case, their OOC communication would have been the problem (and also rule-breaking), not their IG actions.  But even then, it has nothing to do with the issue of consent.

So you mean to tell me that this person either hated me so much or was so crazy that after my game character was dead they roleplayed having the sex with the meat lump? Ahahahahahahhahahahah.

Not only would I not be angry, I would tell everyone and get many laughs. That is some next level "death story" stuff for Armageddon.

If I did get angry about it, I would have about three seconds of self reflection, have a good laugh at my own expense, and go back to playing the game with my new character.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

being the kind of person to roleplay out a rape scene is one thing. being the kind of person to roleplay out necrophilia is another.

Quote from: Desertman on December 27, 2014, 10:57:19 AM
Quote from: Barzalene on December 27, 2014, 10:14:09 AM

In such a case, their OOC communication would have been the problem (and also rule-breaking), not their IG actions.  But even then, it has nothing to do with the issue of consent.

So you mean to tell me that this person either hated me so much or was so crazy that after my game character was dead they roleplayed having the sex with the meat lump? Ahahahahahahhahahahah.

Not only would I not be angry, I would tell everyone and get many laughs. That is some next level "death story" stuff for Armageddon.

If I did get angry about it, I would have about three seconds of self reflection, have a good laugh at my own expense, and go back to playing the game with my new character.

Huh?
I didn't say anything about you. I said this doesn't violate consent rules because the player was not there when it happened. In fact the character was not there when it happened.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

You are required to get consent of PCs and NPCs in order to roleplay scenes of a sexual nature with them.
Objects do not require consent.
Dead bodies are objects.

Some people get butthurt (pun intended) when things don't go their way in game.  Just because you don't like what happened does not mean the other person broke a rule.

Quote from: Rules
5. Complaints of unfairness will not be given an audience. If you think your character's situation was unfair, too bad. Live with it or don't.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

December 27, 2014, 08:14:37 PM #108 Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 08:19:35 PM by Jingo
Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 27, 2014, 02:36:51 PM
You are required to get consent of PCs and NPCs in order to roleplay scenes of a sexual nature with them.
Objects do not require consent.
Dead bodies are objects.

Some people get butthurt (pun intended) when things don't go their way in game.  Just because you don't like what happened does not mean the other person broke a rule.

5. Complaints of unfairness will not be given an audience. If you think your character's situation was unfair, too bad. Live with it or don't.

So? That doesn't answer any of my questions. I don't care about hard rules or what your definition of an object is. I'm discussing principles.

Previously, players would use rape plots etc. to sexually harass other players. They can still do it now in a roundabout way with necrophilia plots.

And yeah. To answer my own questions, I could see people getting skeeved by this nonsense to the point where they are put off of armageddon altogether.

December 29, 2014, 01:12:51 AM #109 Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:15:29 AM by FantasyWriter
I did answer your first question.
But on another level don't you think that molesting the corpse of a character that did not consent to be a sneaky way to get around the consent rule to begin with?

No, because the PLAYER was not involved, therefore their consent is unnecessary.  The rules clearly state out what requires consent.  This does not.

Wouldn't you be pretty skeeved out if you learned (regardless of ic info sharing) that someone did this to your character?

I wouldn't, no. I would probably just think "ewww...? and move along, as I would anytime I were confronted with the idea of necrophilia.  However, if simply hearing that something like this happened to a frictional character (as opposed to having to actually experience the scene in detail) traumatizes you, you probably have some deep-rooted psychological issues concerning the separation of fantasy and reality (or should simply make sure your fantasy-input is from a constantly PG-13 source).

Also, if you are having bad experiences through the sharing of in-game details outside of the game, don't.  Some people can handle that shit and it not affect them and the way they play, some can't.

The consent rule exists to protect you from graphic content that you would rather have censored out (this is where FTB comes in in some situations) or not participate in.  It does not, does not, does not exist to protect your character from bad shit happening.  This would be the equivalent of being personally offended by a traumatic event in your characters virtual past before you started playing him/her.

From an OOC perspective, there is no difference between a character putting their cod in your PC's corpse or putting it in your PC's codpiece.  To complain about such is
Complain[ing] of unfairness [which] will [and should] not be given an audience. If you think your character's situation was unfair, too bad. Live with it or don't.

Also, (again) if you are having bad experiences through the sharing of in-game details outside of the game, don't.  Some people can handle that shit and it not affect them and the way they play, some can't.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 29, 2014, 01:12:51 AM
 However, if simply hearing that something like this happened to a frictional character (as opposed to having to actually experience the scene in detail) traumatizes you, you probably have some deep-rooted psychological issues concerning the separation of fantasy and reality (or should simply make sure your fantasy-input is from a constantly PG-13 source).

You're silly to believe that people don't actively invest in their PCs. I mean hell, even though I'm on PC #152, I've recently experienced a heavy heart over some stuff. I made the decision to get my PC killed and the manner in which they were killed was absolutely terrible. I found out later through IG means what had happened and every time it was mentioned it was hard for me to deal with--even though I made the decision to let it happen.

Bad things should happen to PCs, but c'mon man. You're just living in an Orwellian dream if you think people can turn off their feelings like that after investing a bunch of time into roleplaying a character.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

December 29, 2014, 11:29:33 AM #111 Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 11:31:53 AM by Jingo
QuoteI wouldn't, no.
Don't assume everyone is like you then.

QuoteHowever, if simply hearing that something like this happened to a frictional character.
Are you suggesting people that don't want to deal with the above are mentally ill? Or are you just telling me that since someone doesn't find it specifically traumatizing that they should just shut up and take it regardless of abuse?

Either position is weak.

QuoteFrom an OOC perspective, there is no difference between a character putting their cod in your PC's corpse or putting it in your PC's codpiece.
What the fuck? There sure as shit is when consent rules apply. And I'm the one trying to keep consent rules transferable after the death of the PC. I think you're confused m8.

QuoteTo complain about such is...A COMPLAINT AGAINST UNFAIRNESS AND ROOL 5 SAYS YOU CAN'T COMPLAIN AGAINST THE UNFAIR
Clearly if we don't like the idea of our character's corpse being molested we just can't handle the pure distilled harshness of ArmageddonMUD. It's actually a old as fuck rule meant to protect players from complaints of IC deceitfulness and not from complaints of being an OOC shithead.

QuoteThe consent rule exists to protect you from graphic content that you would rather have censored out (this is where FTB comes in in some situations) or not participate in.  It does not, does not, does not exist to protect your character from bad shit happening.
Basic reading comprehension would support your argument.

QuoteThis would be the equivalent of being personally offended by a traumatic event in your characters virtual past before you started playing him/her.
Actually there is a huge fucking big difference here. It's one of player agency. I can chose my character's background. I can't chose what happens to my character after they die.

According to you, I should not be able to dis-consent if my character is to be raped after they die; supported by some weakass arguments about consent, armageddonmud rules and some ontological horseshit about corpse-objects.

Hey guys, this is a hot topic and all that jazz. Please keep the conversation civil.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

December 29, 2014, 11:42:37 AM #113 Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 11:44:16 AM by Desertman
If you get to decide your character can't be sexed after they are already dead and you aren't there, you also get to decide if your character is dismembered, disfigured, or otherwise tortured after they are already dead.

While I personally sympathize with someone's desire to not hear about their character getting the ole' wam-bam-slappy-time after they were dead, if you are going to implement rules that say it can't happen due to consent guidelines, then it has to apply to torture as well.

Some people might really hate the idea of finding out their character was dismembered, disfigured, or otherwise tortured after they were already dead. I loved my character, it would really hurt me emotionally to learn someone cut their ears off and their eyes out and wore them as a necklace but not before packing their skull with salt and keeping it as a souvenir.

You can't babysit one consent issue and not have the same guidelines apply to all consent issues due to, "My feelings.".

If you can't slip them the ole' tandu sausage after death without consent, you absolutely can not disfigure, maim, or otherwise torture after death without consent either.

You create a field of inequality and compassion to some people without the same consideration to others if you do anything else.

Are you guys trying to desensitize the playerbase over the GDB or something?

But in any case, D-man is right. And I did NOT touch his PC. Unless his PC touched mine first.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I'm pretty sensitive. I would ftb on torture. I hated being asked to consent to rape (I found it depressing.)
But those things require my participation. If those things happen when I'm not at the screen its all good. Even if I logged in to be told my PC had bad things happen that would be fine. This gs that don't require me to be there don't require consent.

Quote from: Desertman on December 29, 2014, 11:42:37 AM
Some people might really hate the idea of finding out their character was dismembered, disfigured, or otherwise tortured after they were already dead. I loved my character, it would really hurt me emotionally to learn someone cut their ears off and their eyes out and wore them as a necklace but not before packing their skull with salt and keeping it as a souvenir.

Hypothetically... of course.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: whitt on December 29, 2014, 12:00:59 PM
Quote from: Desertman on December 29, 2014, 11:42:37 AM

Hypothetically... of course.

Of course, of course...I'm not saying I ever did anything like this....*cough* *shifty eyes*

One of the concepts I've always wanted to play was actually a human with a vendetta against elves, desert or otherwise, taking their ears for a big-ass necklace. Probably not original, but it would be fun. This was before I realized there was a significant portion of the playerbase that looks at harsh rp and says 'not for me.' I dunno, I spend a lot of my time playing characters with little power, martial or otherwise. Arm feels the most Arm to me when I'm being oppressed, and treated unfairly. Can't get into some of my best examples because less than a year has passed if my memory serves, but I can say that if I made an absolutely brutal character concept, I'd be more than a bit dissapointed to not RP out my concept because someone was squeemish. I don't mean to put anyone down when I say that if you don't like that sort of thing, you probably shouldn't play a game where the docs say torture, rape, oppression and racism ARE THE NORM. Its uncomfortable for you, and inhibiting the accurate presentation of the culture presented in the docs. Again, I'm not saying I'm not sympathetic, I'm saying you're actively PUTTING YOURSELF into circumstances where this is a real possibility, and saying 'WHAT, DON'T I HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE TREATED LIKE A DECENT PERSON?' Sure. You exercise that right by choosing not to play. I can honestly say I hope to be in more situations where I'm brutally tortured to death IC. More actual murder and betrayal would improve the game for me substantially. What people are comfortable with should never be the standard for what is allowed or prohibited, in ANYTHING. Your inability to establish a disconnect between you and your character, or to handle roleplay about concepts that hit too close to home in a realistic manner for the setting (IE, not treating rapists like the scum of the earth, unless they're humans and elves), is, put brutally, not my problem. And you shouldn't serve as the standard MY roleplay is dictated by.

I'm not advocating that arm should be softer or kinder. That's clear, right?

Id just like to put in my If I found out my previous (even if it was long-lived, one I invested myself into)
PC's corpse was mutilated/defiled/raped in some way, Id just think it was cool that someone loved me
enough to involve my PC in their plot/amusement even post-mortam.  This being said, I have a warped
sense of what is considered affection.  ;D
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

December 29, 2014, 03:17:04 PM #121 Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:39:51 PM by Barzalene
WanderingOoze is right.

Quote from: WanderingOoze on December 29, 2014, 03:13:11 PM
Id just like to put in my If I found out my previous (even if it was long-lived, one I invested myself into)
PC's corpse was mutilated/defiled/raped in some way, Id just think it was cool that someone loved me
enough to involve my PC in their plot/amusement even post-mortam.  This being said, I have a warped

Same here. I'd be quite ambivalent, I'd be sad -and- flattered.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: WanderingOoze on December 29, 2014, 03:13:11 PM

+1
Grebber - One who grebs.

I dont think this is an issue most of the time...but use your brain. I have been in a situation with another PC whom my own PC was frequently forced to be around because of our IG jobs,  whom I had to ask oocly several times to tone it down. I wont go into details but they actually made it uncomfortable for me to play and my asking them to knock it off oocly didn't seem to discourage them. Its the first time I felt the need to report someone to staff  :-\
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"