OOC for consent?

Yes
26 (38.8%)
No
38 (56.7%)
Emote about talking dirty
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

If you subdue and then start talking dirty, consent may be required.  lmao. 
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on December 23, 2014, 01:56:12 AM
Nah, that's ban-able man. No more rape plots.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on December 23, 2014, 02:01:03 PM

So long as you don't physically sexually assault them, it wouldn't break this rule.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on December 23, 2014, 03:12:36 PM

So long as you don't physically sexually assault them, it wouldn't break this rule.
You're subduing them while talking about sexing them.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

December 23, 2014, 03:59:49 PM #54 Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 04:06:36 PM by Desertman
Quote from: bcw81 on December 23, 2014, 03:52:30 PM
Quote from: Desertman on December 23, 2014, 03:12:36 PM
If you subdue and then start talking dirty, consent may be required.  lmao.  

You're subduing them while talking about sexing them.

Talking about sexing them is not sexing them. If you threaten to rape them, that would be a violation of the rape rules. Subduing them and talking about sexing them is not a violation of that rule.

For example...You are playing someone obsessed with someone...Crazily so.....You subdue the one you are obsessed with.

"Yes, yes my sweet, I am going to woo you with time, you shall see. You will grow to long for me just as I long for you, and once you do, yes...we will make sweet love. You will father my children. I will make you the happiest man to ever set foot into a bed chamber. I can do things to your body you wouldn't believe, and I'm going to, when the time is right. No...no...don't struggle my Little Jozhal Man. Let Bertha-Jak hold you. Let Bertha-Jak love you. Yes...our time is coming."

This is a game for adults played by adults, I still find it a distraction when I have to remind myself to ooc for consent. I'm thoughtful of what might offend those around me, usually based off the feel of the players I'm around. In those cases where I'm unsure, I ask for consent. If you can't handle a pc talking dirty to you in a tavern though, it's your responsibility as much as theirs to let them know it's an issue IMO.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

December 23, 2014, 04:06:42 PM #56 Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 04:27:15 PM by Desertman
It is even within the rules to threaten them into being your bed mate. The guiding rule is that you can't physically force them. You can coerce them through threats of violence all day long until they decide to willingly go along with your desires, you just can't force them physically.

"You see, Joylit, as a nobleman, I have needs. Strong needs....Oh, what's that? I do hope Gurth-Thok my giant guard is not holding you too tightly. Gurth-Thok, a bit more gently please, we don't want to bruise sweet Joylit. Anyways, as I was saying Joylit, I have strong needs. Carnal needs. As my aide, I expect you to fulfill those needs. If you choose not to, that is fine, that is your decision...but, let's just say, I will no longer have need of an unwilling aide who does not happily do the things I need of her...of course, Gurth-Thok may have to make the pile in Meleth's just a bit bigger, but, that is unavoidable.".

Completely within the rules. Joylit has a choice and isn't being physically forced into anything she doesn't want to do. She has a choice to make sure, but, that is her choice to make.

See, that totally seems like you'd totally be charged with rape IRL if that situation went down. Have sex with me or I will kill you. I'm not going to force you to have sex with me, of course. winkwink nudgenudge

Quote from: MeTekillot on December 23, 2014, 07:04:51 PM
See, that totally seems like you'd totally be charged with rape IRL if that situation went down

I agree, but that's not how the rules of Armageddon are written. Coercing someone in to sex is still valid under the rules. We hashed all this out months ago when the change went in, sheesh. Just for the love of god ask consent early and clearly or else you're going to make a real headache for everyone involved (esp staff).

I don't think we hashed this particular part out because the thread got locked whenever everyone started accusing each other of being nazi rapists. I digress. I will send in a request to ask about it I guess.

That's specifically addressed in the help file for rape.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

So if they refuse they. . . you have to. . . ? ugh. nevermind. back to dirty talk discussion.

Quote from: MeTekillot on December 23, 2014, 07:15:36 PM
So if they refuse they. . . you have to. . . ? ugh. nevermind. back to dirty talk discussion.

Quote from: the rules
In situations where a power imbalance between two characters exists and said imbalance is used as leverage for an adult situation, consent must be sought at the earliest possible juncture. Refusal by the 'weaker' party requires the instigator to adjust their intent or desire to avoid a sexual situation.

Grabbing someone's ass doesn't count against the rules. I'd wager neither does talking extremely dirty to someone... but asking consent for anything you think might make people uncomfortable before doing it is a quick, easy and courteous thing to do.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 23, 2014, 07:20:18 PM
Quote from: MeTekillot on December 23, 2014, 07:15:36 PM

Quote from: the rules
In situations where a power imbalance between two characters exists and said imbalance is used as leverage for an adult situation, consent must be sought at the earliest possible juncture. Refusal by the 'weaker' party requires the instigator to adjust their intent or desire to avoid a sexual situation.

Grabbing someone's ass doesn't count against the rules. I'd wager neither does talking extremely dirty to someone... but asking consent for anything you think might make people uncomfortable before doing it is a quick, easy and courteous thing to do.

I'd assume refusal to consent in this situation works much like consent for mutilation...
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: MeTekillot on December 23, 2014, 07:10:13 PM
I don't think we hashed this particular part out because the thread got locked whenever everyone started accusing each other of being nazi rapists. I digress. I will send in a request to ask about it I guess.

Yeah, in my memory that discussion didn't succeed at all in clarifying much of anything. I also have to chime in that it was really disconcerting that so many people would make ad hominem attacks when some of us were asking valid questions, myself included. I've never started a rape plot, and yet the insinuations that I was some kind of creeper for even asking about what was still possible came out. All in all, it wasn't pretty, and I still have a lot of unanswered questions. This thread is rapidly demonstrating that I'm not alone.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I'd be all for Arm straight up saying "We're for adults only, and a lots of nasty shit goes on here. Deal with it or leave."

I'm with Majikal in that having to OOC consent is irritating, and takes me out of the moment. I've forgotten to ask for consent for gruesome things before, and everyone was fine and just kept playing, having fun. That's how it should always be. If you don't want to be raped go play somewhere else.

But that's not what staff want. They went in the opposite direction, giving complainers a voice(even if that wasn't the intent) and limiting roleplay options in order to not have to deal with a whiny people and extra work. Because of that you've opened things up to all sorts of vague areas that can lead to issues, like this one.

I think it need to go extreme one way or the other. Either you allow everyone to do what they want as long as it's RP and realistic, or you need to have Consent cover everything in order to limit these vague, poorly understood facets of the rules. Otherwise you'll just end up with more staff work trying to decipher whether something is "okay" or not, per the games rules.

in the niche subculture of fantasy video game text characters, depictions of a sexual nature are considered especially heinous. they are handled by a unit of overworked volunteer staff known as the Producers. these are their stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP3MuUTmXNk

Quote from: MeTekillot on December 23, 2014, 09:56:40 PM
in the niche subculture of fantasy video game text characters, depictions of a sexual nature are considered especially heinous. they are handled by a unit of overworked volunteer staff known as the Producers. these are their stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP3MuUTmXNk

Looks like the perp dropped a herp in his derp... round up all character reports from the last month that indicate a history of rape fetish roleplay, and dust that bone sword for prints.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I try to be polite. Like when my bard sang, "Henny Has a Big Ol' Penis" at the Gaj. I asked for consent! You never know who might not enjoy your taking liberties, I suppose. Though... I don't imagine many prudes play this game.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

FTB
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

em says some naughty words, including the F word.

murder, thievery, torture, corruption, and what ever else have you is fine, but I draw da line at sexy talk, sir
Whatever happens, happens.

December 24, 2014, 10:02:32 AM #72 Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:14:06 AM by Desertman
The difference between that situation happening IRL and that situation happening in game, is that in this situation, you are only losing a character that you can re-make in a few hours if you refuse said nobleman's/noblewoman's advances. The player is not making a life or death decision.

You aren't actually getting killed. IRL your situation would be, "If I don't have sex with this person, they are going to kill me.".

This isn't real life. This is a game. Here, your only real decision is, "Would my character decide this actually is a pretty good deal, or would they stick to their guns and prefer to die?". That is the only decision you are making. You aren't making a life and death decision behind the keyboard. You are making a, "What would my PC do?", decision behind the keyboard.

Either they are the type of PC that would decide that it wasn't such a bad thing, or they aren't and they would hold their resolve to the grave/pile, which is absolutely their choice, because they are NOT going to be forced physically, because that's the rules.

Will some people not like the idea of making that decision? Sure. But, the key here is it is absolutely their decision to make. They WILL NOT be forced into something they don't want to do sexually, but they may be given some rather difficult choices.

I like games with difficult choices.

They can always freak out, try and break the subdue, draw their weapon, and try and kill said nobleman/woman and/or run away and plot their revenge, their sweet sweet revenge....or not. There are a thousand choices. The "coercing party" in this situation is just presenting some options.

i think dman's described scenario is indeed allowed in the rules.

the simplest form of coercion isn't even do this or die. it's do this or we won't be allies.

That's actually a condition really, not coercion.

Anyway that's all allowed and fine. Happens commonly. Again, adult game. And plotting revenge is just as allowed. Killing is legal outside cities so it isn't even all that hard.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Also, Harmless touched me inappropriately once. I still have nightmares. They are a dirty, dirty, individual. Save meh.  :-[