Yes
26 (38.8%)
No
38 (56.7%)
Emote about talking dirty
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Quote from: Is Friday on December 16, 2014, 10:48:40 AM
What freaks me out is when people consent to "anything". It makes me want to .... Nevermind.

Some of us breeds prefer not knowing if a scene is going to proceed into sex, torture, or maiming.

The consent rule is not in place to protect you from dirty language.

This is an adult game.

If you can't handle dirty language, this game isn't for you.

It is obvious what the consent rule is for. It isn't to protect you from seeing the word, "Fuck", and it isn't so that staff will have to answer fifteen complaints a week about someone using, "bad words I had to see".

This is an adult game. The only reason rape isn't even in the game anymore is because people kept complaining about it to the point it was creating a ton of work for staff to handle the complaints.

Foul language complaints and "dirty talk" complaints are so absurd as to garner at best an eye roll from me.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on December 16, 2014, 12:43:27 PM

This is an adult game.

It is obvious what the consent rule is for. It isn't to protect you from seeing the word, "Fuck", and it isn't so that staff will have to answer fifteen complaints a week about someone using, "bad words I had to see".

This is an adult game. The only reason rape isn't even in the game anymore is because people kept complaining about it to the point it was creating a ton of work for staff to handle the complaints.

Foul language complaints and "dirty talk" complaints are so absurd as to garner at best an eye roll from me.

* bcw81 agrees

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: Desertman on December 16, 2014, 12:43:27 PM

This is an adult game.

I dunno.  I'm under the impression < 18 year olds play, and there's no "must be over 18" warning / statement on chargen.  I personally just prefer to think in terms of the ratings system for Hollywood movies, and I'll usually just ask "consent to 18+ rp" if the talk gets to the point where it would be rated R.

I also like to get the ooc consent out early, because it makes me laugh sometimes how people react to it.  For instance, sitting having tea talking about the weather, he's totally playing it cool, then I'll whip out the "ooc consent 18+ rp", and he'll suddenly just drop the small talk and be like: shit, she's DTF, "consent granted", then I'll fade.  Muhaha.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I'm fine with people asking for consent if they feel they want to for personal reasons. Doesn't bother me at all. I just don't want to see a rule implemented about it.

In a game where the only medium is text, I don't really see any difference between ICly describing the way you're going to fuck someone and emoting how you're going to fuck someone.

The problem here is involving another person. If you're talking about an vNPC you just fucked, go ham. If you're creepily describing the way you're about to fill someones love-canal with giggle-cream, you should probably ask for consent.

Quote from: RogueGunslingerIn a game where the only medium is text, I don't really see any difference between ICly describing the way you're going to fuck someone and emoting how you're going to fuck someone.

I see what you mean, but there is a difference, not in how "graphic" it is, but in how much of a violation it is. If you sex someone up without OOC consent, you're forcing them to play the sexual situation and the aftermath. It's way more of a violation.

It's like power-emoting; there's a big difference between saying "I'm going to slap you" and pulling an "emote slaps you, causing you to double over in agony!"

Also, if you feel someone is crossing a line or about to, OOC to let them know or leave.
Don't just sit there and watch the scene only to file a player complaint later on. That's just bad form.
Following that advice, I don't see how consent complaints even happen. 

If someone is told to drop a scene (assuming it actually falls within the purview of the consent rules) and doesn't, that's just fucked up, and they should probably be permabanned.

With the abolishion of rape plots, does staff ever consent violation complaints?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Is Friday on December 16, 2014, 10:48:40 AM
What freaks me out is when people consent to "anything". It makes me want to .... Nevermind.

Consent to spooning only.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I agree with DMan... Changing it to add in flirting and dirty language will only put staff back into the position of being massively overwhelmed with stupid complaints, when they could be doing better things with their time.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Lame.  Take care of yourself.   What do you do irl if someone is a creeper?
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on December 21, 2014, 04:33:19 AM

Chop the motherfucker up with a steel sword?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 21, 2014, 03:50:23 PM

Someone gets creepy with me? Hey, that's -my- game! It's on, fucker!

I've seriously had some big, scary dude with prison tattoos clawing at my passenger side door begging me to stop the car before and let him out, after he continued to touch me and make advances at me after I politely informed him, numerous times, that I wasn't interested, although I did thank him for the compliments. Ok, want to get creepy with me, now it's my move. I guess, alternately, I could have just stopped giving creepy people rides home, but then, nobody else would have, and they were creating a disturbance and the whole situation was just unhealthy for everyone, and someone would have called the cops and someone would have gotten fucked over. Nope, not if I can help it.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on December 21, 2014, 04:08:21 PM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 21, 2014, 03:50:23 PM

Someone gets creepy with me? Hey, that's -my- game! It's on, fucker!

I've seriously had some big, scary dude with prison tattoos clawing at my passenger side door begging me to stop the car before and let him out, after he continued to touch me and make advances at me after I politely informed him, numerous times, that I wasn't interested, although I did thank him for the compliments. Ok, want to get creepy with me, now it's my move. I guess, alternately, I could have just stopped giving creepy people rides home, but then, nobody else would have, and they were creating a disturbance and the whole situation was just unhealthy for everyone, and someone would have called the cops and someone would have gotten fucked over. Nope, not if I can help it.

What?
Quote from MeTekillot

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on December 21, 2014, 05:00:54 PM
What?

Oh, that's what I do IRL, luckily it doesn't involve hacking people up with a steel sword, and leaves the other person with some knowledge of what it's like to be creeped out, if they've never experienced it before. Not saying anything else, trade secrets.

You don't need consent if you aren't power emoting or saying you are gonna rape them.
Quote from MeTekillot

Quote from: MeTekillot on December 21, 2014, 11:51:07 PM
Can we stay on topic?

Ok...

I pre-mudsex dirty talked your mom.

Fuji really likes to share. Kinda makes it hard to talk with him at times but it's great that you can share anything you want in return.  ;)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on December 22, 2014, 05:01:05 AM
Fuji really likes to share. Kinda makes it hard to talk with him at times but it's great that you can share anything you want in return.  ;)

LMFAO

I'd try to find some way to deny that, but, na, too tired to think up a clever lie.

As resident expert (yeah, I went there, let the mudsex0r jokes begin) I prefer to ask consent once there is dirty talk started and returned a few times. Hey you look sexy in that kalasiri is wayway different than telling someone an x rated version of what you'll do once that kalasiri is off.

If there is flirting/innuendo going on at some point it crosses into the next level. Consent should be asked. When is entirely up to personal comfort levels. 
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

December 22, 2014, 10:35:18 AM #46 Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:39:43 AM by Desertman
The consent rule exists to prevent people from having to roleplay out things happening to their characters and the after affects of those events. The two things included in this category are sexual RP and torture RP.

If we want to now constitute having to hear bad language as "happening" to our characters, where does that end? Will we then slip into a consent rule being put in place if someone tells us how they are going to torture us?

What is the difference if this is the new precedent being established for the reason for "consent"?

How is....

"Oh yeah baby, I can't wait to bend you over and blah blah blah blah my man parts and your girl parts and blah blah blah eat my man mustard."

Different from...

"If you don't turn over the name of the killer, I am going to use my sword to cut your fingers off, one by one, while laughing while you scream in horrible agony. I will break your legs with my mace, and cut off your nose, and then let you live with the scarring and go through life as a freak. Now, we can do this the easy way, or the hard way.".

Should I have to ask for consent to talk to someone about torturing them if I have to ask for consent to talk to them about banging them?

If the idea is, "People shouldn't have to even hear about these sorts of things in detail without consent.", and the two things we have consent for are sexual RP and torture RP, then it HAS to apply to talking to them about torture and unwanted physical harm as well. You can't really justify "protecting" people from one without the other. Is torture somehow less mentally scarring than sexual interactions? Who makes that call? If someone does want to make that call, I would love to hear their reasoning. I will argue that torture is worse than being told someone is going to slip you the ole' tandu sausage, but suddenly I need consent to talk to them about sexual things but not about digging their eyeballs out with a granite spoon?

That is not the Armageddon I want to play.

December 22, 2014, 12:57:57 PM #47 Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:01:02 PM by Down Under
I'd like to make people ICly uncomfortable, rather than OOCly comfortable.

Asking for consent doesn't ruin anything. It's making sure the other party(parties) are interested in the line of RP you are pursuing OOCly.

It's a personal preference thing -- It seems you think the game is being ruined by OOC sensibilities and politeness. I'm not advocating a softer game by any means, just one where we acknowledge there is a player on the other end of those PCs who may not to hear how you are going to stab their body with your dick and climb all up in that ass.

Torture is not likely something that people who play Armageddon have been through/endured (though there are probably exceptions to this). Sexual abuse, on the other hand, is likely much more prevalent, and engaging in dirty talk may not be something people are interested in having slapped at them.

I think there are exceptions that can be made, rather than thinking the consent rule is going to somehow change. If someone OOCs that they aren't interested, perhaps it shouldn't be pursued, but I also don't think we should be stopping every 5 seconds and asking for consent.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

If you're OOC uncomfortable with my PC, probably ought to find somewhere else to go until they leave. Won't be long before my PC gets run off anyway. Things that upset me, put me at a disadvantage, make me uncomfortable are still done and on the rare occasion I submit a complaint I'm told to "get over it and play the damn game", which I would consider sound advice (must have misread the quickstart guide, I keep looking for my mistake but I don't see it, is why I submitted an idea for a helpfile on "gender" spelling out just how serious gender equality is, but people simply pay it lip service and turn around and do something else). If you can't hack it, don't thrust yourself in the middle of it. No one cares about my sensibilities, obviously, so why should I care about anyone else's? I agree with Dman, also.

And what Shaleah says seems like generally a good idea, may wish to just get it out of the way early, and I think it's an excellent way to approach the situation, and seems reasonable and moderate, yet, don't think it should be a -rule-. Wasn't all that long ago that rape plotlines were banned, to those who think it should be a rule to ask for consent before simply engaging in slightly graphic conversation or dropping euphemisms, please don't justify the slippery slope argument others warned about as it was discussed immediately after the banning... also, I don't want to have to ask consent every time I stumble into a conversation because I have no idea what my PC might say in the middle of it.

December 22, 2014, 02:53:42 PM #49 Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:04:38 PM by Desertman
Quote from: Down Under on December 22, 2014, 12:57:57 PM
I'd like to make people ICly uncomfortable, rather than OOCly comfortable.

Asking for consent doesn't ruin anything. It's making sure the other party(parties) are interested in the line of RP you are pursuing OOCly.

It's a personal preference thing -- It seems you think the game is being ruined by OOC sensibilities and politeness. I'm not advocating a softer game by any means, just one where we acknowledge there is a player on the other end of those PCs who may not to hear how you are going to stab their body with your dick and climb all up in that ass.

Torture is not likely something that people who play Armageddon have been through/endured (though there are probably exceptions to this). Sexual abuse, on the other hand, is likely much more prevalent, and engaging in dirty talk may not be something people are interested in having slapped at them.

I think there are exceptions that can be made, rather than thinking the consent rule is going to somehow change. If someone OOCs that they aren't interested, perhaps it shouldn't be pursued, but I also don't think we should be stopping every 5 seconds and asking for consent.

Edited: My initial reply may have sounded accusatory to some degree after I re-read it and that was not my intention.

Suffice to say I agree. I don't mind if people ask for consent. I just don't want there to be a new rule about talking dirty or talking about torture (which would indeed go hand in hand).