Why it is difficult for me to come back. (And why I often do.)

Started by Asche, September 30, 2014, 08:17:22 PM

Hey there. I'm Asche. Infrequent poster, long time lurker. You may know me as 'that one person who once made me chuckle with a funny post about a dwarf.' I haven't played Arm in a few months, and I'm thinking about coming back. This is actually a fairly common cycle for me. I lurk on the forums after a long absence, I get excited about a character concept in my head, I rush to play it, and then either OOC obligations or just getting burnt out prevents me from coming back for a while. Up front, I have a pretty strong tendency to switch from one character to another, though I do have a few long-lived notches in my belt. I'd like to talk about what often makes me leave, and what makes me apprehensive about returning.

The main thing that typically annoys me is the current iteration of the karma system. Now, as a system, I like karma. Restricting access to classes and races that require an in-depth understanding of the lore, or are exploitable to an irresponsible player? Cool. Rewarding contributions to the game, good roleplay and a thorough understanding of the lore with greater access to these? Awesome. In theory. In practice, at least in my experience, the system sparsely recognizes effort invested. This is purely from my perspective, but I can honestly say I have invested a lot of time and effort into my characters. Not in the 'I'm a special snowflake' way, either. My breeds take their daily doses of racism with a thick skin, my rats beg and plead when they're dragged off by the Arm, and generally speaking, I like to play characters with a healthy set of flaws and strengths. Now, I say this not to try to brag, but to establish that I've put forth an effort. I've slipped up, done stupid things, but I've never exploited the system and I've always tried to improve. I also, after three account notes checks, have a single Karma. That Karma is for longevity.

I'm not going to lie, when I got it, I felt like the fat kid at a sports meet getting the 'most improved' ribbon. I know that wasn't the intent at all, and I'm thankful it was given. I just know that I seriously feel like all my effort goes unappreciated, or more likely unnoticed. This is exacerbated by some of the account notes I receive. My first one was awesome! My first character had a long, solo rp death in the desert as she died of thrist. Staff saw this, commented, and left a note. It made my day, and is probably what really made me stay. I haven't really gotten a positive one since. Of the ones available to me, the  most prominent ones are on my only 'gicker. The notes call me out for using the word 'mana' in an event I was in (Seriously? Among the gemmed mages, a society of magic users kept huddled together in a district, they don't have a readily available term for the spiritual energy that fuels their powers? How do they even have a discussion?), and not emoting/thinking every casting I made in a temple. Essentially calling me a spam-caster. This is a character I played a ton of, meeting many of the active players in Allanak, becoming actively involved in politics, and who made out a lengthy process and emote to nearly every spell he cast in front of another person. And all I get is, "Please move some of that power-gamer energy into being an actual roleplayer."

I realize that expecting staff to keep an eye on me constantly to gauge my roleplay is silly. I realize its unfair to judge them on what they didn't see. But I put forth a clear effort, and all I got judged on was what I did when no one was around. Not on what I put into a spontaneous event at 1 AM, but my use of the word 'mana.' I've gotten my breed ass thrown off a stool for a more worthy human ass more times than I can count, and I don't understand race enough to justify a point? I pore over the lore religiously, and check with helpers to double check every new concept I explore, but I haven't shown a basic understanding of the world? It feels like I'm rambling, but I just wanted to express some of the problems I've experienced up to this point, as a relatively established player. A lot of the people on the forums seem either hardcore veterans or noobs, so I thought a few notes on my own perspective might provide some insight. In any case, I enjoy the game, and appreciate every good scene I've gotten out of it. Permadeath is a system that makes every interaction worth it, and my every death feels justified as a result of my own actions. I just wish my roleplay was judged by what I do with other people, rather than what I do while I idle, or the arbitrary value of a word I use. My honest, candid feelings towards Arm, fair or not? I feel under-appreciated as a player. I feel dismissed, and like every attempt I make to make the world around me come to life in the limited capacity I can is for naught.

So you registered this GDB account about a year and a half ago.  By your admission, you play infrequently, taking long breaks.  For that time period and activity level, 1 karma seems about on par.

Meanwhile, don't consider that negative account note to be "judgement", but rather guidance.  It's a rather common suggestion to receive, at that.  I've been told so as well.

Can we get a tl;dr plz?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Asche on September 30, 2014, 08:17:22 PM
My honest, candid feelings towards Arm, fair or not? I feel under-appreciated as a player. I feel dismissed, and like every attempt I make to make the world around me come to life in the limited capacity I can is for naught.

Your feelings are your feelings, and I want to say this in the nicest way possible, but: The job of the staff of Armageddon isn't to make you feel appreciated as a player. Their job is to run the game. Your job is to play and enjoy yourself, should you choose to accept it. Your choice.

Also, karma is not about appreciation, it's simply about trust to play roles. You've gotten feedback which sounds accurate and fair, and I would be extremely surprised if every long-term player hasn't received similar feedback. (I certainly have! And adjusted as a result.)

If you're not playing much, play only short-lived characters when you do (either because they die or you store), don't send in character reports, don't work with your clan staff on stuff, you're just not going to get "noticed" more than you already have. That also is your choice.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I'm sorry you feel that way, man, but I'm glad you feel the desire to keep coming back, even if it isn't always enough to propel you to make a PC.

I think one thing that a lot of people have a problem with about the karma system is that it isn't linear.  You can't skill grind karma.  And karma (functionally) is not an enabling system. It's a disabling system.

What I mean by that is that people without karma are held to a certain set of what I will here call "normal mode" guild and race options. That is each player's due - the chance to try the game. What has never really been our "due" no matter how talented or long lived or verbose, etc. - is karma.  People feel that they prove a certain level of responsibility and then they "deserve" karma. But we don't. Not receiving karma does not de facto mean staff do not trust you.  But receiving karma means that they do, to some degree. Those aren't the same thing.

Because to receive karma, not only do they have to trust you, they also have to notice you, they have to keep noticing you (because one stellar moment of roleplay doesn't necessarily mean someone is a good RPer overall), and they have to feel that the game can handle more people at that karma level.  That table of what points are awarded for is just (I think) to give staff some kind of concrete standard to judge by to see if someone is worthy of more karma, it isn't a checklist for players (though you can try).  So, while you might be deserving of trust, the three other steps to turning that responsibility into karma are kind of out of your hands, and to some degree, staff's too. It is their responsibility to watch players. It isn't their responsibility to notice you personally. Does that make sense?

One thing you can do to help with steps two and three is to play sponsored roles. I understand that that isn't for everyone.

But, at the end of the day, the simple truth of that matter is that none of us deserve to play a sorcerer, or what have you. But some of us might be responsible, and noticeable, and timely, and (if we're honest) lucky enough to try.  But if that isn't you, taking that as a staff comment on your RP is probably neither accurate, nor particularly helpful to you.

Just my 2 'sid.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

While I am glad you posted and it was well written and level headed, I have to agree with what everyone else is saying. I've been playing for about 7 years now and only have 3 Karma; Communication, Longevity, and Roleplay. I also wouldn't be entirely surprised if I lost one of those Karma because I've been much more sparse in my communication with staff. I simply have no expectation of them ever watching me enough to truly know whether I have a full grasp of some of these things:

-Proven understanding of magick and its place in the game world
-Proven understanding of cultural and racial structures
-Contributes to the game
-Leadership

Now, I did play a leader for a while at one point, and that's when I got my communication Karma, but I can totally understand why I don't have Leadership Karma. I stored, and generally didn't find myself to be having much fun as a leader, because I felt I was too worried about making things enjoyable for others. I was basically not logging in because I didn't have the energy to spend time contributing to the game just for the sake of others. So I also understand why I don't have that Karma, but these first two?

-Proven understanding of magick and its place in the game world
-Proven understanding of cultural and racial structures

Those seem to me like they would be the hardest to get, but they also feel like the ones I should "deserve" the most. I've made it pretty much my duty while in-game to enforce every aspect of the documentation when it comes to racial stereotypes and magickal fear. But I don't like playing Magickers, and I have very little desire to play things other than Humans, and that showed in my lack of longevity in all those characters. I feel like I should have these two karma but I honestly can't say I'm surprised that I don't. My interactions with Magick and other races has always been very rare, and when it happens I don't know how you're supposed to prove your understanding beyond being spiteful of elves, or fearful of magickers. It's hard to show depth in those things.

So the Karma system is imperfect, sure, but I have no idea how you would fix it. Maybe staff could be more lax on how they hand it out, but I think that would also mean they would have to be stricter at taking it away again. And I really don't think people like having Karma taken away. They would take that very personally. As it is I'm fine with how things are because I can't think of ways it can be done better. That doesn't mean I wouldn't mind hearing how it could be done better though. If you've got ideas, I'm all for hearing them out.

Quote from: Asche on September 30, 2014, 08:17:22 PM

The main thing that typically annoys me is the current iteration of the karma system. Now, as a system, I like karma. Restricting access to classes and races that require an in-depth understanding of the lore, or are exploitable to an irresponsible player? Cool. Rewarding contributions to the game, good roleplay and a thorough understanding of the lore with greater access to these? Awesome. In theory. In practice, at least in my experience, the system sparsely recognizes effort invested. This is purely from my perspective, but I can honestly say I have invested a lot of time and effort into my characters. Not in the 'I'm a special snowflake' way, either. My breeds take their daily doses of racism with a thick skin, my rats beg and plead when they're dragged off by the Arm, and generally speaking, I like to play characters with a healthy set of flaws and strengths. Now, I say this not to try to brag, but to establish that I've put forth an effort. I've slipped up, done stupid things, but I've never exploited the system and I've always tried to improve. I also, after three account notes checks, have a single Karma. That Karma is for longevity.

Your beef here reminds me of mine in a thread I made several weeks ago. I have to say, the discussion that followed me posting that really helped me quite a lot, to help change my perspective on several important aspects. I learned very useful things from replies by Manipura, Desertman RGS, Cutthroat, CM, and a few others. Let me post for you some notable quotes from their posts:

Quote from: Desertman on July 29, 2014, 11:16:03 AM
It appears the overall issue that Harmless has with the karma allocation system is that players who play during peak times, in clans that interact with a lot of people/staff, and in general are a more integral part of the game overall, have a better chance of being seen and getting karma/recognized for their contributions to the game.

If you don't play with many people, aren't part of clans that do a lot/make an impact on the playerbase in order to be recognized by staff, or in general aren't about enough/at the right times to really be seen/interact with other players on a meaningful level.....you might not get seen by staff enough to get evaluated properly for karma.

I see the issue. I agree that players who fit this criteria might not have as many chances to get evaluated for increases in karma.

I like to think that staff awards karma to players to give them more options to bring to life some of the more rare and possibly more "fantastical" facets of the game world for the improvement of the overall fun of the playerbase.

We don't give fireball mages to newbies, but we give them to vets, because vets are expected to take that role, not twink the crap out of it, and instead use the uniqueness to add to the game world and the overall enjoyment of their fellow players, and then finally themselves. (The same goes for any karma required role/race in my opinion. You are being trusted with a more powerful tool to make the game more fun in general. If you don't buy into that and think it is all just about your own personal fun and screw everyone else, I don't want you playing karma races/guilds personally.)

Quote from: Desertman on July 29, 2014, 11:21:06 AM

Every karma point Manipura has, which equals mine after 15 years of leadership roles and tons of staff interaction, came from playing indy solo PC's that were for the most part strange hermits.

She is my wife and I am obligated to say good things about her, but, her solo-RP is better than my non-solo-RP.

My point is that she has the exact same karma I do, and she got it playing the exact opposite of myself in terms of roles and staff interaction, and we are both 10+ year vets.

Quote from: Norcal on July 29, 2014, 11:46:00 AM
Not sure how I feel about all of this. I go back and forth.

Karma is a bit of a catch 22 sometimes. There is a karma point for leadership, but you need to get a leadership role (few and far between) to achieve it. At least that is how I understand it. On the other hand, you want to make sure the leaders are good players.

Armageddon is a game where PCs learn by failure. I think players also learn by failure, and the learning curve is steep.  But if you fail, that sometimes equates to poor play and possible bad notes, even if your failure has shown you what -not- to do in the future.

Quote from: Cutthroat on July 29, 2014, 07:31:37 PM
Quote from: Desertman on July 29, 2014, 11:56:26 AM
A) People who play in clans get recognized and get karma for their player to player interaction more than people who play solo, because they are playing solo.

B) The few people who prefer to play solo, can and do get the same karma, they just get it through their very good solo RP.

Those are facts as far as the data in this thread is concerned.

I agree. Combine A and B together, and you basically get "Play the game well, and you'll get karma eventually."

Probably a slight oversimplification... the thing is, no one really plays the game "poorly" and sticks around for a long time without getting better. So it's arguably good players without much karma wondering how to get karma. In which case the main problem for them is standing out. Certainly, karma isn't the goal of playing the game - players don't need staff pats on the back to have fun, but it's a nice feeling to be recognized - by players and staff alike - for playing a character well. Player recognition comes in the form of kudos, and staff can send kudos to players too, but they can also give karma.

I think part of the problem with the perception of the karma system is that it can seem somewhat arbitrary looking in from the outside, even with the guidelines on how karma is awarded - it's still controlled by fallible, unevenly perceptive humans that named themselves after pagan gods and other obscure things. The thing is, players don't have to wait around to get karma to play a role that they want. Even if you don't get karma sending weekly reports for a year with the same PC, writing up elaborate biographies and wishing up whenever your PC does something dangerous that the world might react to, etc., you can just special app something and there's a chance the staff will say "Hey, you should have the karma for this anyway - karma granted!" And if not, so long as your request is fairly reasonable, you still get a good chance of landing the role. Karma is only a measure of what you can play immediately, not what you can play after staff has a quick look at your notes and check how many other Nilazi dwarf prostitutes there are already in the game.

Quote from: HavokBlue on July 29, 2014, 09:02:12 PM
I think in general (and not just related to karma) staff are a lot more favorable towards roleplay and plots that involve lots of people.

Quote from: Barzalene on July 29, 2014, 08:41:42 PM
At the risk of sounding rather trite and simplistic, my suggestion for being valuable as a player is to play generously. Play not just to have fun but to make fun. Follow the rules. That's kind of the deal, I think.

Quote from: Zoan on July 31, 2014, 11:27:32 PM
FWIW team, I think every single one of you deserve AT LEAST two/three more karma than you presently have, because you're all fantastic.

Failing that, just spec-app every so often and let me kill you/let you kill me.

Quote from: CodeMaster on July 31, 2014, 01:32:06 PM
Some stream-of-consciousness bullshit from a player who doesn't have any karma...

If you look at Hollywood, there are actors who 'make' the movie they're in.  Johnny Depp was cast in Pirates of the Carribbean because the producers knew what they were going to get out of him - an extremely memorable performance that would build a massive audience for the ongoing franchise.  At this point in his career, Depp can pick and choose his roles, and he is, by way of analogy, a "high karma" (i.e., A-list) actor.

Unfortunately, there's no "recipe" for becoming an A-list actor, much to the chagrin of all the hopeful actors living in LA.  You either have it or you don't (of course luck plays a factor, as well, moreso than in our little community).  Creating memorable characters that influence and color the game world for others is one of those things that some people are good at, and others aren't so good at.

And just like in Hollywood, the movie probably wouldn't be as good if we let Norm MacDonald play Jack Sparrow out of a sense of "fairness".

Quote from: Harmless on August 01, 2014, 12:57:05 AM

In the same way directors trust that when they hire johnny depp to be their main character he'll draw an audience, the imms trust that when they give a certain role to a high karma player, the role will be played correctly.

The analogy  is accurate. The only way in which it is different is that actors can't special app. The special app is what saves the system from being exactly like this.

Anyway. I file reports and live for as long as I can, but special apps are new to me. I have been doing extended subguilds aplenty, but it hasn't exactly helped my ability to get noticed by the imms, for the reasons outlined above.

That's why I'm just waiting on my special app at the moment. Special apps are the only thing that make me feel better about karma. For all other intents and purposes, it's like codemaster describes.

That might be the biggest takeaway from this thread. extended subguilds are fun as hell. But it's kind of a self gratifying fun. It doesn't add that much to your character's plot potential. At least, it hasn't in my experience.

Rather than wait on extended subguild apps, for the next few years of my arma gaming career I will special app instead. That would also be my advice for pretty much anyone in my situation, who may feel that despite their best efforts, their characters aren't doing enough to be noticed by staff: special app above your karma limit for restricted mainguilds and races.

Thanks all.

So, when I beefed that I wasn't being noticed, and heard people's stories of how they earned their karma, I realized there are definitely some strategies available to me, that I would enjoy pursuing, which may help to increase the a.) plot impact and b.) visibility of my roleplay. The fact is, from that thread, I went in a new direction. Your answer may not be exactly mine but it migjt be. You have to determine what you want to do differently in the end.

Thanks again to everyone who cordially debated with me in that thread, it continues to be a huge help to my satisfaction of the game. For the record, my karma hasn't changed since then, nor do I care anymore if it does. (except if my 1 karma was docked, that'd suck. lol)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I have been playing since Jan. '12. I have not posted on the forums much 'other than that time I regret doing so'. And consider myself neither a new player or a veteran, but somewhere in that in-between I find myself... so similar to the OP.

However, I love my Arm. I like when I can come up with characters that will likely be unappreciated, or be unnoticed. I find it immensely pleasing to get to see how the world is progressing, and to see what characters do with their lives; even if I am well, not doing much at all. I tend not to 'try' for anything, but there is always somebody that notices, and something that happens. And since something has always happened, I've walked away with amazing stories. All of which I remember and smile about, even at odd times when going about my day.

And right, maybe I can give back, or try to? To come on even if I am busy or should not be gaming. Then there is a certain loyalty I have come to have with Arm, as a soldier to my country, or to myself and my family. Sort of among those lines... maybe? But whenever I do connect, I am simply amazed by others loyalty to the game. It does seem to me that Arm players are always on and never sleep! Where was I?

Anyway, I do not have anything to comment on about Karma. Maybe if I get when I will pass it on to you? *gift karma* Joking. But it isn't something I strive for or have thought much about. Playing a sorcerer isn't on my to-do list.

Hi Asche, other players have given you some good advice already, so I want to just add a bit about "negative" notes and karma from a staff perspective.

First, on karma. Karma is not awarded on a timescale of days or weeks, and is never awarded more than one point at a time. So if you feel you're being passed over because you received "only" one karma point for your roleplay, you might feel better to know that that's entirely normal.

The first point is always awarded for longevity - it isn't a "runner up" medal or anything of the sort as you unfortunately interpreted it, it's just our convention. It says that yes, you've been playing the game consistently for a while with no major issues that we've seen, which was the case when you were awarded it. So the fact that you haven't been awarded a karma point for racial roleplay, for example, doesn't mean that staff haven't noticed or enjoyed your good racial roleplay. Future points of karma beyond the first are awarded on other categories, butnot more frequently than six months apart.

Secondly, on account notes: everyone has a few they aren't proud of. My mortal account has some. Think of your favorite GDB poster or the player you admired most in game: they have some too. The note you mentioned about magick is really not all that bad. Often times we note things like that on a character's info just so we're reminded of them when we have a chance to offer feedback such as in a character report or account notes request. That way, we have opportunities to share what we felt was wrong about something we observed and relate our thoughts on how such things could be better portrayed. The note is hardly "this guy is a twink, don't give Asche any more mages." There is also the special application system, which you've made use of already. That avenue appears open for you as well.

Karma isn't a numerical representation of staff's opinion on your roleplay. It's a measure of trust, and trust takes time to build. If you play the game for the enjoyment of roleplaying and for bringing the world to life around you, karma will come naturally.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

In my experience, there's a few ways to get karma. Yes, the being trustworthy and knowing the world goes without saying. But how do you SHOW that? When my karma has raised, or when I've gotten a positive account note, it's been for one of these reasons:

• Thinks and feels... I'd also like to think biographies
  • Keeping in touch with staff via PC reports
  • Being helpful to staff requests, informing staff about bugs, being helpful and polite
  • Contributing to the game

Thinks/Feels -- Seriously, do this. All the time. Make it a habit. If your character dislikes someone, think it. If they're nervous, feel it. If they're lost because they're a magicker and completely isolated and alone, have a think/feel fest. Accompany this with appropriate actions (potentially even hemotes)! Thinking and feeling is my favorite way to solo RP, as well. I have at least two account notes that positively comment on this.

Biographies -- I haven't used this much in a few PCs, but it's a great tool. It lets staff know what's up with your PC, and allows you to get more into the zone. Staff definitely pays attention to this, in my experience--I've gotten a kudos from staff about my bios, and I have a positive account note as well. It's also nice to be able to reference bios in reports--Staff can look up further motivation and character details if they have an interest and time. That said, it can also be very time intensive to write bios.

Staff Requests and You -- Sending in character reports is a way to make sure that staff is familiar with you and your character. It keeps them up to date on plots and motivations. Generally, one report every two weeks for a less plot-intense PC or week for leader-type PC is good. Don't make them too long--I've had troubles with that before. Instead, keeping them as clean and organized as you can, with any questions easy to find and accessible.

Contributing to the Game -- I don't actually have any specific account notes for this, but one of my karma was slotted as being for contribution, so it factors in. Contribution is a pretty broad term. It's not JUST about IC interactions. It's also about how you contribute to the community--Are you helpful on the GDB, or do you have to be moderated a lot? I know in my case I also posted a handful of guides and such here, which may/may not have helped. In general, don't worry too much about this. As long as you're having fun and positively impacting the game world or GDB community, you're on the right track.

Quote from: Asche on September 30, 2014, 08:17:22 PMI haven't really gotten a positive one since. Of the ones available to me, the  most prominent ones are on my only 'gicker. The notes call me out for using the word 'mana' in an event I was in (Seriously? Among the gemmed mages, a society of magic users kept huddled together in a district, they don't have a readily available term for the spiritual energy that fuels their powers? How do they even have a discussion?), and not emoting/thinking every casting I made in a temple.

Quote from: Rahnevyn on September 30, 2014, 10:30:13 PMSecondly, on account notes: everyone has a few they aren't proud of. My mortal account has some. Think of your favorite GDB poster or the player you admired most in game: they have some too.

I'd also say that I'm pretty sure all of us have account notes that irritate us or that we disagree with. Or, if they're not exactly wrong, we want to go "But, but, THIS is why!". I have a couple of those. I also recall at least one staffer (I forget which) saying that their Mortal account had an incredible amount of negative account notes from their early days playing--But they got better as a player, and they eventually became staff. Don't let the bad notes discourage you too much. If you can, use them to improve your RP. If they're not useful feedback, then just keep working to be the best RPer you can be, and enjoy the game.

As others have said, Karma takes time to gain. I wouldn't dwell on it too much--More important then karma is if you're having fun.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

There's a lot that's been said that I agree with.  But I do want to share an anecdote:

Once upon a time I played an Allanaki templar for over a year.  I was the go-to templar for the gemmed.  I was up to my eyebrows in magickal stuff... and I still don't have my understanding magick karma.  So it's not a mark against you as a player.

Anyway, I think the best way to get karma is to play your characters to the hilt and stop worrying about karma.  Also if there's anything you disagree with in your account notes, start a conversation with staff about what is there and why you disagree.  It's pretty easy to simmer in silence over miscommunications or honest differences of opinion.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

And finally, to tag onto all of this really good advice, I wanna just say - the characters I've enjoyed the most in my entire time playing here are no-karma. I suppose if you want to throw in extended subguilds as a karma-based thing, you can asterisks that statement, but the normal characters get the most action. You'll find yourself not really playing with karma options as much as you think you will now, because the higher in karma a character goes, the less socialization options they have. And it's the social play that addicts me to this game.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If you don't play much, it isn't necessary a lot to expect staff to notice you and give you feedback on a regular basis, but it is on the unrealistic side of expectations. 

As you're bringing up your specific notes, I think it's worth pointing out a bit more context:

• Account notes requests sent soon after account creation are never going to give you a point of karma.  The amount of times this has happened is so close to 0 it may as well be 0, and it probably would be worth discussing whether account notes should be limited to filing only after the first 6 RL months of play.  The immediate response to such a limited perspective of account review is almost always "well, you haven't really played the game enough to expect any karma, here's some things we can suggest to have you noticed better by staff in the future."
  • I think the specific feedback that you got was more on the neutral side than depicted here, and it was constructive feedback at that as it offered ways to improve.  We weren't calling you a spamcaster, we were saying that of the times we could watch you, you had room for improvement, and here are some suggestions, etc.
  • The note you saw was a pinfo note that merely made note of the fact that your character, at one point, had used the term "mana" IC.  I don't think you were contacted directly about it because it seemed as though it was just something to note in case it was habitual.  When you asked about it after seeing it, we passed on the info that terms like mana, health points, stun points, and stamina points are not IC terms.
  • You got a karma point anyway, so if any of the above things that had been noted as an issue were serious issues that could not be improved, you wouldn't have gotten a point of karma.

You got a karma point and some constructive feedback on how to do better.  That's a net win in my book!  :)

I'd still recommend putting in character reports.  They're a good way to show us what your character(s) are doing and to engage in more regular communication with your clan staff.  That will also ensure that your only interactions with staff aren't account notes requests, and it gives us a better idea of what your character is up to when we aren't watching.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

One Karma in a year of very infrequent playing is actually above par heh.

OP, you'll never have account notes as awful as me... don't worry. :)

Quote from: Is Friday on August 21, 2014, 08:59:31 PM
I was asked to point out some of my really terrible account notes to show some other players that "recovering" from being "black balled" is possible. I'm currently at 5 karma.

Quote from: some of is friday's acct notes
with Ao, sunrunner zarajiri, they led a sunback down a chasm
wall, it emoted a broken leg, they hauled it onward not paying attention.  
Forced the already pained and angry beast to do as she wanted -
12/13/07
(cont) After screaming and yanking on the reins a few times, the
sunback attacked her.  She beat it down with clubs, it emoted it was barely
living, comatose.  She then brought it kegs of liquor to carry, and logged
out,... - 12/13/07

Ao sends this message to the staff, from room #66656
(Dusty Plains)  "Bored. Character hiding in desert, tracking tarantula."  
Moments later:  *BING* - 12/17/07
More than one character (Tukazi, Ao)
disappeared to apparent suicides for special app roles later. -
1/02/08

Repeated special app suicides. Strongly reccommend no special roles in
the future. - 6/08/08

Thrice rejected PC "zerkie" when player was slightly
changing sdesc and fishing for approval.  I hate to say it, but is 2 karma too
much? - 3/05/09

As others do agree, this player is a
superstar when they know they are being watched, but tend to slack and go for
gain during the slow times.  Also common to suicide during boredom. -
8/10/09

botched special role w/ Ueka, suicided and looked for new roles before even
starting / telling clan staff -  6/08/08.

Set karma to 0, Ignores clan
documentation, fucks up special roles, gives paper-thin reports, leaves vital
information out of any report that is given, and is generally a bad example
for newbs. -  5/08/09.

Set karma to 1, Granted back 1 karma, as they have
earned this through positive comments -  5/22/09.
Set karma to 2, The player
helped to guide conversation away from IC information during the oregon APM
tele-chat on 3 occasions.  Please see my comments above on this date. -  
8/10/09.
Set karma to 3, Took the restrictions and such of Kadian Junior
Trader in great stride, and was very responsible about it. -  8/21/10.
Set
karma to 4, as per notes -  1/29/12.
Set karma to 5, point for communication -
8/07/14.

Quote from: BUT WAIT, THERE'S MOREOutside hunting alone during EST mornings, wearing no Byn gear. No emotes or RP. - 9/01/08

nowished after being asked not to wish on behalf of xxxx (acct) who was also nowished. - 9/08/08

Gus (xxxxx) fell and died from the fall.
    Fell down the well on the grassy knoll in Tuluk. Who knows why she was trying to get in there. - 10/11/08

Militia recruit in the Rinth in the early AM? - 12/13/08

Walks around Tuluk naked or half naked often - 2/22/09
Salarri Family - 2/14/09

Ozel (Strouticus) has been killed by a player, amen.
    Militia recruit in the rinth. Not the first time, probably won't be the last. - 3/21/09

Taken down to 34/118hp, slept until 58, got up and started riding off without RPing any wounds until an echo about being in pain. - 3/28/09

Is playing one of the worst Akei'ta var in my memory. Lets animals suffer to test city folk, and refers to herself as "Akeita's Boot up Roundear Ass." - 5/07/09

Wandering around the rinth in the AM, attacking NPCs. - 6/06/09

Masturbating in the barracks (r13337) - 7/06/09

Practically naked in Allanak. - 4/30/10

Didn't boost skills as much as the player wanted; they complained, complaint was rejected. - 7/03/11
When they died, they gave a rather whiny complaint as well, then a complaint about how the whiny complaint was treated. - 7/03/11

Arena Champion of 2012! - 1/29/12
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

My account notes are a mixed bag. Mostly good, some neutral, a few bad.

QuoteSet karma to 0, Because I don't like letting assholes keep
karma if they don't deserve it, even if they are banned. -  2/16/09.

I got a kick out of this one.

I'm going to agree here with The7DeadlyVenomz. I have a few karma. Haven't used most of it. I think a human is the most likely race I've played and warrior is pretty common class. I am fond of assassins for social characters for some reason. I guess I like the skill set.

And most my fun on Arm has been without coded involvement. It's one of the reasons when I played often I wanted to play a noble/gmh character. Maybe if I stick around for any length of time I might shoot for something like that again.

But then again, I also really wanted to play a Mul. Probably because they always have scared me and my characters in the past.

Not sure if I've ever seen my account notes ... Might give it a shot sometime.

My best suggestion is to join a clan. And hang out with it for awhile.

I do have a question though. Character reports .... Anyone have a link for documentation?
21sters Unite!

Play like no one is looking.

Because they probably aren't.

STEAL ALL THE BOOTS! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOH.

But on a serious note, I mean I have some karma. But in honesty perhaps I feel I deserve more - but then again, I probably don't. My account notes are probably one good, two bad, one funny. Who knows. I havn't asked for them in a good while. Even though I have fucked up notes, I have gotten roles and failed miserably at them and I still have my karma and dignity.

I read somewhere that some players do a role and when they're done with it they might tell staff: "Hey, I fucking roleplayed the shit out of this d-elf. Bump me, god damnit." But in nicer words, and they just might - if you're looking for that sort of validation. But then again, we should really be playing for ourselves.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

Quote from: creeper386 on October 02, 2014, 04:15:44 AM
I do have a question though. Character reports .... Anyone have a link for documentation?

We don't have official documentation about how to do these, but we do have opinions! Favored Character Report Formats
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Asche, we haven't heard from you since you posted this -- I was wondering if you had any follow-up thoughts, or if your concerns were addressed?
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Quote from: Rahnevyn on October 08, 2014, 03:24:47 PM
Asche, we haven't heard from you since you posted this -- I was wondering if you had any follow-up thoughts, or if your concerns were addressed?

Apologies for the late response, I just checked this thread after a while. Midterms and general difficulties IRL have kept me pretty occupied. I did see the bulk of responses the day after I posted this thread. I will note that from helper and staff responses I was likely taking what staff were noting as neutral constructive criticisms as more negative than they were. In my head, it was "I just stayed up to three AM for this and all they noted was me saying 'mana?'" I didn't know that Karma was primarily awarded one at a time, or that it was longevity that gets sent out first. That actually did improve my perspective on the matter significantly. Honestly, if I had seen a positive account note since I first started playing, I probably wouldn't have made this thread. I think when you play a pickpocket, and you splatter every npc stealing with thinks and hemotes, you want to be noticed, and are dissapointed when you don't, however unrealistic that might be. Likewise, when you play a 'gicker and pour a ton of time and effort into them, you're hoping for a positive reaction when you get a report back. When it doesn't happen, every little thing turns into a nitpicking criticism. But maybe I'm just waaay too sensitive about this. In any case, I appreciate the feedback. I might have a bit of time available in the coming future, so I might get into Arm while I can.

Quote from: Asche on October 20, 2014, 08:34:26 PM
Quote from: Rahnevyn on October 08, 2014, 03:24:47 PM

Apologies for the late response, I just checked this thread after a while. Midterms and general difficulties IRL have kept me pretty occupied. I did see the bulk of responses the day after I posted this thread. I will note that from helper and staff responses I was likely taking what staff were noting as neutral constructive criticisms as more negative than they were. In my head, it was "I just stayed up to three AM for this and all they noted was me saying 'mana?'" I didn't know that Karma was primarily awarded one at a time, or that it was longevity that gets sent out first. That actually did improve my perspective on the matter significantly. Honestly, if I had seen a positive account note since I first started playing, I probably wouldn't have made this thread. I think when you play a pickpocket, and you splatter every npc stealing with thinks and hemotes, you want to be noticed, and are dissapointed when you don't, however unrealistic that might be. Likewise, when you play a 'gicker and pour a ton of time and effort into them, you're hoping for a positive reaction when you get a report back. When it doesn't happen, every little thing turns into a nitpicking criticism. But maybe I'm just waaay too sensitive about this. In any case, I appreciate the feedback. I might have a bit of time available in the coming future, so I might get into Arm while I can.

Go for it, dude. :)

I think it's kind of staff to mail people the accumulated notes on their play, but it bears (re)iterating that those notes weren't written to you.  Correspondingly they're going to contain a kind of impersonal terseness that you really shouldn't take to heart.  (I might be tempted to not make such notes available to players, for this reason.) 

Consider this analogy: staffing a MUD like Arm is like herding sheep.  It would be nice to feed carrots all day to the well-behaved sheep, but the bulk of a shepherd's time is going to be spent bumping the wayward members of your flock back in line.  You might get an unwelcome bump ("hey, I wasn't wandering!") but it's part of the game.

Another point: play for yourself, man.  If you're portraying a realistic character in Armageddon (I imagine you are, and I suspect I know who you played) then I'm already your biggest fan... so here's an anonymous player kudos to you.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"