City-elves and stuff.

Started by Patuk, September 28, 2014, 05:49:39 PM

I wouldn't have any sort of issue with branches of the same tribe existing in different locales, as long as the elven race were one race, and not two distinct ones.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If SLK could actually go places where they encounter more than 1 other PC per real life week I would probably never play anything else.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

The SLK wouldn't have to go someplace else to meet people if they weren't so insanely difficult to arrange things with.

Who said anything about things being arranged?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

October 01, 2014, 05:11:18 PM #104 Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 06:19:46 PM by HavokBlue
We can't really discuss the specifics of their documentation but as it stands I feel like they're a tribe with very little IC purpose or direction beyond "survive" which is, as a Soh PC, really easy to do and also really boring.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

One time in Luir's I had all my shit fucked up, I think by a Soh. That was a cool little plot.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: HavokBlue on October 01, 2014, 05:11:18 PM
We can't really discuss the specifics of their documentation but as it stands I feel like they're a tribe with very little IC purpose or direction beyond "survive" which is, as a Soh PC, really easy to do and also really boring.

Soh rock.  Hands down a very fun tribe, if you like that kind of rp. The most fun I have had to date with a PC  was with my fairly long lived Soh. It helps if staff are up for working with you on things, but my experience was great. Kaaaaaa, Aiiii Soh!
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

SLK have always been an iso-clan. I'm curious why they came back and didn't go the way of ATV, for the same reasons. Dune Stalkers were always a more interesting option to me, and of course, the Red Fang.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I would play a Dune Stalker for the rest of my days if that clan was reopened.

Following on the slight derail. What I got out of playing with an iso delf tribe.
I loved the rinthi X hippy culture. I loved living off the land, being one with the land and the chance to explore that part of it safely, with a pair of fast legs.
It was ranger heaven, and I should have signed up for it as soon as I got a karma.
I got to play with elves and other despised individuals, without having to despise them. The group I played with were all kudos worthy, and it is still easy to remember their mannerisms and personalities.

When people complain about the world being "too small" and people not slowing down to appreciate the outside world, complain about the lack of hazards and the like, it always baffles me how they're unwilling to slow down for something as simple as a "tent break" to refresh the city neckers that aren't allowed to be mercenaries anymore anyway because others say it's silly.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I agree with this.

Quote from: Fujikoma on October 06, 2014, 11:21:35 AM
When people complain about the world being "too small" and people not slowing down to appreciate the outside world, complain about the lack of hazards and the like, it always baffles me how they're unwilling to slow down for something as simple as a "tent break" to refresh the city neckers that aren't allowed to be mercenaries anymore anyway because others say it's silly.

At least with movement, there's some action, whereas with neckers in tents, there's a lot of standing around (and clients getting annoyed).

The world needs to be bigger by additional lands, not by turning travel into Zeno's paradox, in my view.

October 06, 2014, 08:50:12 PM #114 Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:44:56 PM by RogueGunslinger
Not sure if I agree, Eyeball.

Half the reason people speed through the desert from one place to another is precisely because travel is fucking boring. Who wants to watch a bunch of screens scroll by? There's nothing going on there. It's slowing down and stopping that makes the event enjoyable. Even if you're not being attacked by a band of Gith at least you could stop and roleplay fearing that a band of Gith might get you. I played a character a bit back in the Byn that was a loudmouth, one of my more memorable scenes with him was on a break during the trip, with him whining about how dangerous it was to stop in Gith territory.

But if we hadn't stopped, I would have never had the chance to roleplay that out. I think you're confusing player frustrations about slowing and stopping with character frustrations about slowing or stopping.

Edit: I guess I should clarify that I pretty much have always wanted the world to be bigger or take longer to get from place to place. So I agree with that much.

There needs to be about a million more echoes added to the desert, along with random scripting for encounters both dangerous and not dangerous, and so on and so forth. I don't know what sort of tax this would put on Ginka, but that's what would make travel a lot more fun. If NPCs acted even marginally realistic, it would be more fun, and way scarier.

So ...

- No lone gith raiding three travelers, but an archer might spit arrows at them in the hopes of killing one, and then return to loot the body when the friends are gone.
- You might enocunter gith returning from a raid.
- You might get to know the migration pattern of a herd of carru, and know that if it's noon, they are sheltering from the sun, and if it's dusk, you really shouldn't be ... HERE, because nobody is going to survive twenty carru.
- Gith might always attack in a raiding group that numbers D3 more persons than the number of PCs in a room. Not hard, via a loading script.
- Gurth might be shelled during the sun, and mobile at night, in the cool.
- Scrab might be scripted to provide newbs a taste of that simlife thing ....
- I could really, really, really keep going, a long time ...

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on October 06, 2014, 11:22:42 PM
There needs to be about a million more echoes added to the desert, along with random scripting for encounters both dangerous and not dangerous, and so on and so forth. I don't know what sort of tax this would put on Ginka, but that's what would make travel a lot more fun. If NPCs acted even marginally realistic, it would be more fun, and way scarier.

So ...

- No lone gith raiding three travelers, but an archer might spit arrows at them in the hopes of killing one, and then return to loot the body when the friends are gone.
- You might enocunter gith returning from a raid.
- You might get to know the migration pattern of a herd of carru, and know that if it's noon, they are sheltering from the sun, and if it's dusk, you really shouldn't be ... HERE, because nobody is going to survive twenty carru.
- Gith might always attack in a raiding group that numbers D3 more persons than the number of PCs in a room. Not hard, via a loading script.
- Gurth might be shelled during the sun, and mobile at night, in the cool.
- Scrab might be scripted to provide newbs a taste of that simlife thing ....
- I could really, really, really keep going, a long time ...

Thumbs up. So many little touches that could make the desert feel alive.

October 07, 2014, 04:09:54 AM #117 Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:16:48 AM by Inks
I like every idea 7DV said except that D3 more gith than PCs in a room. Should be a completely random number like 2-6, To avoid people not taking scrubs due to gith spawns.

Gith and raptors should for sure hunt in bigger groups though.

Quote from: Inks on October 07, 2014, 04:09:54 AM
I like every idea 7DV said except that D3 more gith than PCs in a room. Should be a completely random number like 2-6, To avoid people not taking scrubs due to gith spawns.

Gith and raptors should for sure hunt in bigger groups though.

I have seen as many as 1-3 raptors in a hunting party before. Trust me. You say that now, but later on you might wish they didn't.

Of course I don't want them to, for sake of my characters' lives. But they should, regardless. And if it were scripted properly, the raptors would hunt in a pack, but not just a move east, move west pack. Some might lag, then run two rooms quickly to catch back up to the pack. One might scout, one might get tired ... scripted properly, with enough random choices to make it unpredictable but still possess an underlying reliability to the entire procedure, is what I think makes a believable and exciting world.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on October 07, 2014, 08:55:48 PM
Of course I don't want them to, for sake of my characters' lives. But they should, regardless. And if it were scripted properly, the raptors would hunt in a pack, but not just a move east, move west pack. Some might lag, then run two rooms quickly to catch back up to the pack. One might scout, one might get tired ... scripted properly, with enough random choices to make it unpredictable but still possess an underlying reliability to the entire procedure, is what I think makes a believable and exciting world.

I totally agree: surviving on your own in trips in the desert is pretty damn easy, and I'm a newb.  After just a relatively minor amount of time, I was comfortable enough with the desert, and spent a lot of IG hours (a lot lot lot) moving about on my own.  I have on very rare occasions seen strange things (e.g. packs of raptors as mentioned), but for the most part the desert and its horrors are pretty static, so it didn't take long at all to figure out where to avoid.   The problem is the static nature of the spawn spots, I think.  Hence, more random whatever!  Even as simple as a random mek showing up somewhere it isn't normally at.  (Before my PC left the gates, which took several RL months, the rumors that other PCs generated of the dangers scared the fuck out of me, which was awesome.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I remember the days of the roving gith squads of doom:

>
A spear flies in from the west and strikes you in the arm!
A spear flies in from the west and strikes you in the neck!
A spear flies in from the west and strikes you in the leg!
A spear flies in from the west and strikes you in the head!

Your vision goes black.
*beep*

Nevertheless, except for gith (who can magically disappear into nothing mid-swing in a melee), doesn't it seem odd to you that every creature in the desert is basically suicidally berserk?

Not every creature.

And that gith disappearing seems awfully lame considering PCs can't do it the way gith do, that I'm aware of.

Quote from: Saellyn on October 08, 2014, 07:07:57 PM
Not every creature.

Why did you reply with this, have to admit I'm curious.

Just a stickler for completeness?

Does it totally invalidate what I just said?

Some other reason?

Because it does invalidate what you just said. There are plenty of beasts who flee on sight, or flee when hurt enough.

Could stand to be a few more, I suppose, but I never really thought it was a problem.