Changes to thirst code.

Started by Anonymous, September 15, 2003, 10:39:07 AM

I think this is new:

QuoteChanges to the thirst code.  Thirst cost for being in the wild has doubled, and slightly increased for in the city.  Generations in the wastes have made desert elves very water   efficient so they are not affected by this change.

You can now only gain so much thirst from food items, possibly requiring your character to drink water for the first time in their life.

Me likee this change.  I don't play any D-elf PCs, but its nice to see them get omitted from this change.

The change, IMO, was needed, and I thank the IMM's for implementing it.

Agreed. Now we've actually a reason and need, in fact, to spend our easily earned sid. And those who've no jobs...hehehe. Welcome to Armageddon. Not gonna be so easy to simply run to the barracks for water no more. Thirst is an integeral part of the harshness of our world, and it was accomplished and presented in the easiest fashion. Excellent decision, Staff.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Uh... crap.  I went through water pretty fast even without this change.  This is going to hurt.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

D-elves not being affected, fine. What about rangers? They wouldn't be as good as the elves, but should it affect them as harshly as everyone else?
Quote from: BhagharvaWhat you don't know can kill you. What you do know, can kill others.

To the north
[Near]
A lanky, brown-skinned gith is here, humping the rusty brown kank.
The rusty brown kank to the north bleats miserably.

Well, I would think so. They still have the shelter of the city, they aren't born with it, and don't live with it -all- the time as d-elves do. I think this is a great change.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: "Sakra"D-elves not being affected, fine. What about rangers? They wouldn't be as good as the elves, but should it affect them as harshly as everyone else?

Doubt it, it's a genetic thing with d'elves.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Now all we need is to have thirst affected by weightload/heavy armor.
Back from a long retirement

QuoteD-elves not being affected, fine. What about rangers? They wouldn't be as good as the elves, but should it affect them as harshly as everyone else?

Well, 'forage root' has a wonderful affect in some areas that can counterbalance how hard rangers are hit by the thirst code....
I agree tho, I don't think they should be exempt from the new thirst code...they have ways to get around it much more easily than any other guilds.

I don't think they should be immune to the new thirst code (Rangers) But I think it would be nice if there were the occasional roots that you could forage up that were a bit more watered down. I know there are ways to get water but for some of us really solitary rangers the ability to forage and stay hidden from society would be nice.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Cyrian, in some places, things on that level are a-ok, no worries for a Ranger, even a new one.

The only people I can see having a claim similar to that of the nomadic desert elves are the nomadic desert humans, except that there isn't a desert human race.  But I can see tribes like the Anyali getting the same reduced thirst as desert elves, because they live in simlar conditions and have done so for many generations.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

QuoteBut I can see tribes like the Anyali getting the same reduced thirst as desert elves, because they live in simlar conditions and have done so for many generations.

True, but maybe not enough generations to have evolved into it, physically requiring less water. I think they'd just tough it out.

Anyways, a nice code change, that a whole-heartedly support. I'd like to see more like it.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "JollyGreenGiant"Uh... crap.  I went through water pretty fast even without this change.  This is going to hurt.

If it's not too IC, do you play a HG?  I'd be curious to see how this affects them.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

QuoteIf it's not too IC, do you play a HG? I'd be curious to see how this affects them

Brutally.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Actually, no... my last character was a half-elf.  Seemed like every time I turned around he was thirsty.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

It was my impression that water consumption was coded to be pretty heavy when your character was moving outside in the desert heat, and was much less when inside a city or when indoors.

I imagine that if this rate of double water consumption applies in every case, the biggest impact is going to be felt by the players playing PCs out in the wild.

Thanks for the new code.  The double thirst has given me much more to do.  I must work harder for coin to buy water, but while doing so, my thirst grows even more.   Such a delimma, but a great one.  A paradox.

I like it :)

I love it.  I love it.  I love it.  

Now. . . can we get rid of the NPC cooks?  Yeah baby.

Idea regarding NPC cooks:

What if they could be coded to run out of food, and require PCs to restock them with the raw goods?

That would help people who hunt, but don't have the cooking skill to grill a steak without burning it.. it would give foragers customers (Noble houses and Merchant houses) to buy regular stock of roots and water to fill the water barrels.. it would give aides the task of finding people who can supply their cooks with the needed raw meats, and it would reduce the reliance on NPC merchant shops who only buy up to 5 of any given item, thus allowing more people the opportunity to make coin off their finds in an interactive way.

I'd like to add my thanks for the addition.  Looks good, feels good.  I love a good challenge.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "CindyLou"What if they could be coded to run out of food, and require PCs to restock them with the raw goods?

I'd like to go ahead and point out that anywhere you would find an NPC cook in game will be in a clan/group that will not likely run out of food.  Even in famine, the menu would be adjusted, but the clan/group would still have food.  You will also note that the majority of these groups have plenty of slaves and, for the most part, money.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Hey, uhhh...

I don't suppose we could, like, get some ex-sanguination code, or some such?  I mean, that PC I just whacked has a good amount of liquid that I can't really utilize... y'know?

The gnarly cannibal dude fills a leather waterskin from the body of the formerly cool character.

Malifaxis
-Who is really only half-joking about this.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Making me think of Dune and how they even used the liquid from dead bodies.

They had advanced technology though (stillsuits and the like) and we Zalanthans don't. We'd just have to get the blood and drink it, and that'd probably be a little too unnatural for our characters. Though it is kinda fun to ponder.

I'm not quite sure, but I remember hearing somewhere that you can't survive on drinking blood instead of water. Too much salt content or some such thing.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!