Karma rate

Started by Trenidor, September 09, 2003, 11:16:23 PM

All the Karma roles can be fairly isolated. There are a few exceptions I think but for the most part the second you start getting into powerful classes the more isolated you get. Sometimes you get lucky and group up with others of your "kind" but even then it's a complete crap shoot.

I'd like to see more Karma, personally, for me, but I noticed in the end it doesn't really matter. You can app sponsored roles or go for special apps and end up with the same opportunities.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: janeshephard on August 06, 2010, 11:10:30 PM
All the Karma roles can be fairly isolated. There are a few exceptions I think but for the most part the second you start getting into powerful classes the more isolated you get. Sometimes you get lucky and group up with others of your "kind" but even then it's a complete crap shoot.

I'd like to see more Karma, personally, for me, but I noticed in the end it doesn't really matter. You can app sponsored roles or go for special apps and end up with the same opportunities.

The most fun I've ever had playing the game was with non-karma roles. Not to say I haven't had fun with my karma or sponsored roles but the -most- fun has been with my non-karma options.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Isn't there still a review flag?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

August 07, 2010, 02:02:06 AM #53 Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:24:56 AM by spawnloser
My experience?  I got accepted for a noble role fairly early in my career on Armageddon, somewhere in my first half dozen characters.  I gained a couple karma for always keeping my people busy, keeping them interested and generally being an IC drama llama.  It was awesome.  Since then my karma increase has been somewhat steady (though I won't give a frequency or total), all the while mostly playing characters that were unclanned, with a few sprinkled in that were clanned.  I've gotten about the same attention while clanned as unclanned as well, and I'm of the opinion that is because I'm always keeping staff informed of what I'm doing.  I've had short-lived characters and long-lived characters, and it's generally (again, in my experience) being long-lived and consistent while being open and communicative with the staff, that has seen the most attention in both quantity and appreciation on the staff's part.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Dude, i've been playing for like five years and I have 1 karma. Maybe my role play is just super shitty? Don't know what to tell you. I manage to have fun regardless.

Over the past ten years I don't think I've ever had a karma bump I didn't ask for.

Submit a request for your account notes and ask for a review of your karma. Make a bit of a case for yourself, and viola... Karma.

Just don't get greedy.

Quote from: Aruven on August 07, 2010, 07:07:27 AMDude, i've been playing for like five years and I have 1 karma. Maybe my role play is just super shitty? Don't know what to tell you. I manage to have fun regardless.
Quote from: Kankman on August 07, 2010, 12:56:04 PM
Over the past ten years I don't think I've ever had a karma bump I didn't ask for.

Submit a request for your account notes and ask for a review of your karma. Make a bit of a case for yourself, and viola... Karma.

Just don't get greedy.
If you think you're being ignored, do this.

offtopic: However, I had to point out, 'viola'?  lol!  I would love to get music instruments as a bard, free with purchase of karma!

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

For me:

I got 2 Karma, after a year of play
Then a year after that, I got 2 more Karma
Six months later, I got 1 more Karma

Five years later, nothing still

I don't understand Karma, really... besides I haven't played a solid karma role in awhile.

Sometimes it's about showing that you can play those high-karma roles responsibly.  Like I said, play a high-profile or high-karma role that has a decent impact on the world around him/her while remaining communicative and honest with the staff about your character's motivations.

If I had been playing for a long time, I would spec-app for a karma role. And then, update staff regularly on my characters doing and things of that nature.

About six or so months ago I had my account notes checked and to my knowledge, I had no karma as of that time.

Request tool
Question
Dear Staff,
I have been playing for fourteen years. As of this date, I do not have any karma. Can you give me your thoughts on why I have not been awarded any, and some ideas about what I could do to earn Karma?
Thanks for your help.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on August 07, 2010, 09:35:46 PM
Request tool
Question
Dear Staff,
I have been playing for fourteen years. As of this date, I do not have any karma. Can you give me your thoughts on why I have not been awarded any, and some ideas about what I could do to earn Karma?
Thanks for your help.

Dear Barzalene,
We appreciate your continued play, and while we feel you are a valuable asset to the game, we do not believe you're capable of handling roles beyond the street beggar, poop scooper, or boot cleaner. In other words, you're a total newb, and you might as well go back to playing COD4.

Sincerely,
Arm Staff.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

August 08, 2010, 02:04:28 AM #62 Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 02:06:07 AM by jhunter
Quote from: FightClub on August 08, 2010, 01:37:00 AM
Quote from: Barzalene on August 07, 2010, 09:35:46 PM
Request tool
Question
Dear Staff,
Thanks for your help.

Dear Barzalene,
We appreciate your continued play, and while we feel you are a valuable asset to the game, we do not believe you're capable of handling roles beyond the street beggar, poop scooper, or boot cleaner. In other words, you're a total newb, and you might as well go back to playing COD4.

Sincerely,
Arm Staff.

Dear Fight Club, step into my office. You're fucking fired.
Sincerely,

Your loving Armageddon Staff.  :P
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Occasionally submitting player logs of your RP used to be a good way to get bumped up to through the first few karma levels.  Some of you folks might want to give that a shot.

Quote from: Fredd on August 06, 2010, 09:02:47 PM
all the special apps come out when I have a pc that's doing fun things, or involved in fun plots. Le sigh..... One day I shall app a templar or family member.

but... and this is dumb.... What's the diff between an Agent and a trader?

Hey gang.  I'm about to submit a special app, for the first time in years.  Any advice for me?  Also, can someone point me to the official guildelines/staff-suggestions for special apps, just so that I can make sure that I'm ISO-9001 compliant?
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

When sending a special application, make sure to answer every question asked, in as much detail as you can.  In the background information section, what I do is give all the background information that would go into a normal application when you would input it through the MUD interface.  Height/weight (general descriptors, not actual numbers), age range, name and any nicknames/keywords, bio entry 1 AND additional background information... more information on why your character is the way s/he is that wouldn't go into the initial bio entry as well as future plans for the character, both IC ones and OOC ones.  Like if you plan for the HG you applied for to start his own mercenary company, say so.

I've only done one special app.

It took a month to set up...

...and died in a week.

:-\

(I did have a blast during that one week, though.)

So far as I know, I'm still at 2. Been playing for 3 years. Only played one leader, though, so that might have something to do with it. I got my first 2 karma within the first year. My first karma at my 1 month mark, actually.

It's easy to get 2, so far as I can tell. It's much harder to get past that. I don't really mind too much, because I spec app everything I want to play that I can't normally--and get accepted. Not to jinx myself, but I figure I'm due for summore after this current role.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

In my experience, it's pretty much about what the staff see, your attitude, honesty, and how much karma you already have. I didn't receive one karma for my longest-lived, best-played (by me, in my opinion) PC... but then again, I wasn't a leader PC and I had already received four karma. I was just under the radar, and when I wasn't, I wasn't exactly proving anything different about my general level of responsibility and trustworthiness.

I've never had my review flag on, and I've never wrote in for a karma review, but I don't think those things hurt. However, I've always been in good contact with the staff with whatever character I'm running, and if you're doing something like a sponsored role... well, you're kind of in their face.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 08, 2010, 12:56:40 PM
I've only done one special app.

It took a month to set up...

...and died in a week.

:-\

(I did have a blast during that one week, though.)
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

I've submitted 3 apps.

the first took 8 days and s/he died in 4 or 5 hours

the second took 3 weeks and s/he died in 2 hours

the third took 8 days as well and s/he lasted 13 ooc days. not play time.

aack.

Quote from: Jengal on August 08, 2010, 06:47:00 PM
I've submitted 3 apps.

the first took 8 days and s/he died in 4 or 5 hours

the second took 3 weeks and s/he died in 2 hours

the third took 8 days as well and s/he lasted 13 ooc days. not play time.

aack.

All my special apps are cursed too. :'(

Quote from: jriley on August 08, 2010, 11:29:31 AM
Quote from: Fredd on August 06, 2010, 09:02:47 PM
all the special apps come out when I have a pc that's doing fun things, or involved in fun plots. Le sigh..... One day I shall app a templar or family member.

but... and this is dumb.... What's the diff between an Agent and a trader?

Hey gang.  I'm about to submit a special app, for the first time in years.  Any advice for me?  Also, can someone point me to the official guildelines/staff-suggestions for special apps, just so that I can make sure that I'm ISO-9001 compliant?

Just follow the instructions. The part about the background, just put in a 3-4 sentence abstract on what the role will be. I don't think they want too much detail there. I suspect they skim and deny a lot based on quotas.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

I've been playing this game on and off for 10 years or so and I have only played mundanes except a d-elf before I lost that karma.
I really would like to play some other roles and I am curious as to my karma (probably -3) but I'll wait til my character dies I guess.
I just hope in the (technically) three RL years its been alive some staff noticed some positive along with the negative hoping for a little more positive. Maybe a HG. (And it will crack jokes :P. -1 Karma)

I got my initial Karma through the old "Karma Loophole". Which is funny, because I didn't realize it was actually Karma until some years after when I had my account notes. Not sure how it works now, but in the past, when you'd Special App a character, you'd retain the Special Apped options, unless you did something stupid that warranted removal. So one of my first special-apps was a D-Elf, and then the next was a Rukkian, etc.

So after a few years of Special Apps, I had accumulated enough race/class options from different tiers of Karma, and then when others were added I was happily suprised. Later learning that it was Karma through this note in my account notes:
"Set karma to 3, to match options -  4/26/03."

The other way I remember getting Karma was through "account note reviews" done by either Sanvean or Savak (since it seemed at the time that other people were scared/intimidated to award Karma without their consent).
I think that this trend is not as common anymore, but I don't know.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.