Karma rate

Started by Trenidor, September 09, 2003, 11:16:23 PM

Can someone tell me the current karma "rate"?

When I say "rate" I mean two things:

-when people got their first karma and how often they got there later

And

-How often the staff hands out karma on average

Just a small Poll I'm taking, yet want to hear about your experiences.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Completely random. I got my first bit of karma very early, lost than and got it back plus some since then. Was even told it was about time I got some more by Sanvean, but then she went on vacation, and its kind of a taboo for me to email in about that sort of thing. So im sitting pretty with two points. I guess it differs greatly from person to person. I suggest you simply play out a character as the character, not worry about the karma. After getting some, I don't know what all the hype is about really. The roles can be interesting and all, but also lonely. Don't play for karma, really. Even with my few new options, I still go back to the tried and true most often.

Summary - Two years or so and Two karma.

EDIT: I looked at your post and was thinking that you may have also been asking for what comes when... so I'll take a stab.

1 karma- Desert elf
2 karma- Vivaduan, and Rukkian elementalists Water and Stone
3 karma- Half-giant
4 karma- Whiran and Krathi? - Wind and Fire
5 karma- drovian?Elkrozian? It gets shady for me at this point, im only sure up to three really.

So I'll leave it there for someone else to fill in.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I received my first (and so far, only) taste of karma very recently. I had been playing within a clan on and off for a RL year. I was awarded karma when I accepted a leadership role in the clan, along with a note stating the karma was for my 'consistant' roleplay in non-leader roles. I got my first taste of karma with only my third character, my first two dying before even five hours of gameplay. I was a fumbling newb when I started my third character, but by playing often, contributing to the game, staying IC, learning quickly and all that good stuff, I managed to scrape up my first bit of karma. I feel I earned it.

I very much agree that people shouldn't play solely to gain karma, however, I've always possessed a sort of drive to play magickers I just can't seem to shake, and sympathize with people who are eager for new race/guild options.

As for what classes and races are awarded when, (not sure if you were asking, but I'll put it here anyways), this was posted by Sanvean a while ago, on this topic: http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=831&start=0

Quote1 karma - desert elf
2 karma - water and stone elementalist
3 karma - half giant
4 karma - wind and fire elementalist
5 karma - lightning and shadow elementalist
6 karma - void elementalist
7 karma - mul
8 karma - psi and sorcerer
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I'm going to post this anonymously just to avoid any "they have karma, and I don't?" thoughts...because I know I don't have mad roleplay skillz but I try :)

I've been playing for a year.   I got 2 karma points with my second character, which lasted quite a long time.   So I didn't know I had 2 karma points until I had been playing Armageddon for about 9 months.   I'm still not quite sure *why* I got karma.  I've never been reviewed or turned on the review thingy.   The closest thing to a review I've had is a couple general "you're doing well" or "you did well" type comments.    Actually I do have an idea why I got karma points, but it wasn't for flashy roleplay.  (I don't think.)   More like keeping true to the concept, keeping a character alive for a long time, having depth to the character, being responsible in an OOC sense to the clan I was in, involving other players.   I know I have a lot to learn still, but it was a nice surpirse to see that karma.

I actually haven't used the karma yet, but I will sometime!

I'll say this, it really doesn't matter and never has. The "I want Karma" is about the closest we get to skillmaxing in Arm.  It was 5 RL years before I ever got any karma, and not because of anything special.

Oneday I decided I wanted to play a certain Karma-required character, I wrote up the character and submitted it to the MUD for Special App aproval.  Sanvean saw it in the Mud account (I c.c.ed) and sent me an e-mail saying "You really should have Karma enough for that, so I gave it to you."

I never really cared about Karma, I just played my characters, when it came time that I wanted to play something that required it, it was given to me (not just what I wanted to play, but everthing in between it and the base level).

And even though I have Karma now, I still stick pretty much to the base stuf.  I think you might find you'll do the same.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Three points and I've been around for two or three years. I haven't done anything fantastic and my account notes aren't exactly the greatest. I haven't had any notably fantastic or high-key characters and I'm not one of these 'writes in 20 items for every Saturday' monsters. I've only put in two special apps and only one has been accepted. What's my secret?

Beats the fuck out of me. Right place at the right time, maybe? Karma seems to be a fickle thing, where most people probably DO deserve higher but aren't observed enough by one imm in particular to be awarded it.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

My first character was just slightly over a year ago in this game. I received one karma point within the first 3 weeks from one IMP. Got another one a few weeks later from another IMP. Character lasted around 6 months.  Both of those points were awarded with comments letting me know I was getting them. At some point I received a third, between that one's death and my third character.

The third character was a recruited position by a staff member, who graciously offered me a fourth point. That was I guess after around 8 months of play time. So in a year and around 2 weeks, I've acquired four karma points total. I've had "karma characters" three times, out of seven characters.

While I am tickled to have these points - it's a great flattery to my ego afterall - I still enjoy playing the non-karma characters and plan on mixing it up often for as long as I am able.

I found that when I get karma has been almost random.  I really tend to believe that karma is more for consistent play then for that one perfect character.  I recall having one long lived character that was almost up to a year.  This guy was awesome in all respects.  He had a very deeply developed personality, some awesome quirks, great role play, great interaction, great leader, stuff happened around him, he was in a house, and all around he was a true joy to play.  He was my favorite character of all times.  The poor bastard finally dies and I expect that I must have been bumped up a point because in my mind, he was exactly what a character should be.  I was still at the same level.  

Latter on I play a few characters that were either boring to the point of tears or reckless to the point of being crazy.  They were well role played, but they were never longer then a month or two, they didn't get involved much with any houses, they were not leaders, nor anything special.  Yet, I racked up two more karma points quickly on these characters.

The point is that I don't think worrying will do much good.  From what I have personally experienced karma comes from consistently good play.  You just play well for a while and it eventually comes.  When I say 'well' I mean that you consistently play realistically.  You don't need to be in a clan, you don't need to play freakish or outlandish characters, you don't need the best emotes or even to always have a plot going.  You don't even need to be terribly social.  I have gotten karma for anti-social pick pockets and desert traders.  In fact, reflecting on it now, I don't think I have ever gotten karma while in a clan except perhaps the Byn.  What you really need to do is just be realistic.  You need to really consider the world you are playing in and how you fit into that world.

Personally, when I play and I feel like I am loosing a grip on my character, I just sit down and picture the world for what it REALLY is.  The Allanaki bazaar for instance is not just clump of rooms where you can buy stuff.  Picture it in your head.  It is a noisy place.  There must be the constant hum of bartering going on.  There are entertainers, sketchy elves, shouting, templars, soldiers shoving past, the occasional towering half giant, and merchants constantly hassling you to look at their products.  When a sandstorm hits it isn't just slowed movement.  It is a terrible wind that can almost nock you off your feet.  You constantly are fighting seeing forward and keeping your eyes from being sandblasted.  You keep your skin under cover, and whenever you speak, you scream at the top of your lungs to speak over the terrible roar of the wind tearing down the nearly empty streets.  Just consider the environment, then try and put your character there.  

I find that when I really feel like I can't get into character, I emote and think everything.  I turn a trip from the tavern to the bazaar into an ordeal.  A caravan tries to run me down, and elf hawks his worthless crap at me, a bum tries to snatch a few 'sid, a half-breed bumps into me because he is being careless, a group of Allanaki soldiers lead by a templar shove past.  I just emote out all of these things and consider how I would respond.  Generally, I am far more in tune with the game after I have done this.  This is my personal technique for always keeping my feet planted in the game.  I find that doing this becomes even more useful when I feel a character is dull and he is getting little interaction.  Really creating an environment to interact in helps to keep the character from becoming a boring bump on the log.

Further, I have had the most fun with non-karma classes.  Being a drovian might sound cool in principle, but in practice you are going to spend a lot of time doing nothing.  That mean old mercenary of yours on the other hand is a lot more likely to see constant action and have constant interaction.  Your creepy old magiker is more likely to mold away in a temple for a while and occasionally be brought out to do something terrible, like tear open the soul of a disrespectful commoner.  Karma races and classes are the folks who can be horrifically powerful at times and can see perhaps some of the cooler and darker mysteries of the games.  At the same time though, they are always going to be held at arms length when it comes to everyday interaction.  You really need to have the patience of a saint at times while using Karma classes or be content solo RPing.  I have never retired a mundane character and class or wished hope against hope that they die.  I have retired karma classes before and there have been times where I have prayed for a crazy elf to slice my throat open.

Play the game consistently and really aware of your environment.  Honestly, I think that if you can really grasp the environment and the world you are playing in, you have done the hardest part.  Once you really understand the world, everything else just comes together from there.  If you understand the world then you know what sort of roles are being done well, and what roles are being done poorly.  From understanding your environment, it is easy to determine what twinkish and bad RP, and what is not.  Just getting your mind into the environment I believe is the biggest and most important part.  From there, everything else just falls together.

For me having karma must be like being a monk with a large penis. I don't have much occasion to use it but I'd like having it.

Of course, I could lie to all my friends, "You should see my karma, it's huge. Absolutely huge. Eight levels of hard throbbing karma." And of course since they've never seen my karma they couldn't know.

But ultimately it's not really nice to show people your karma unless you're really planning to use it.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Rindan said it best.   The advantages of karma classes and races do not often make up for their social disadvantages.  Desert Elves and Muls are two of my favorite races, but man do they have issues when it comes to interaction, especially the latter.

Honestly, in my mind, it doesn't get much better than a buff human ranger.  Sure out in the desert they don't have the advantages a mul or a desert elf might have, but they can just bring 5 friends along and that's that.

Two of my longest lived characters were a desert elf ranger and a mul ranger.  And so often I'd find myself wishing I could just go to town and strike up a conversation when you just can't.  Plots come few and far between for karma races.  Karma guilds mixed with non-karma races have it a little easier, especially if they keep what they are up to secret.

QuoteFor me having karma must be like being a monk with a large penis. I don't have much occasion to use it but I'd like having it.

Of course, I could lie to all my friends, "You should see my karma, it's huge. Absolutely huge. Eight levels of hard throbbing karma." And of course since they've never seen my karma they couldn't know.

*Insert gratitous alter-boy molestation joke here*

QuoteBut ultimately it's not really nice to show people your karma unless you're really planning to use it.

Wait..   are you still drawing a parallel between your Ron Jeremey Monk and karma here?

I was actually kind of rambling a bit. I left the whole monk thing behind in paragraph one.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

It works nonetheless in a sort of insect-politics way.

I was one of the lucky people, I "got the game" pretty early on and became addicted, played as often as I could, my character lasted for about three, maybe four months and I got karma from it. I've recieved a total of four awards of karma, three granted, one taking away of, and it being granted again, I am about to hit my second year on Armageddon and I foolishly hope I am learning from my mistakes and will eventually get more karma. None of my special roles have been accepted and I'll still keep applying for them, till they yell at me and tell me to stop. :wink:

The awarding of karma is highly dependent on lots of things, I know sometimes I've seen people in roles and thought about how bland their roleplaying is and how I'd do better. Then there's others playing regular Bynners which I think why in the hell is this person not a templar? It's just not how well you roleplay, it's not just how consistent you are, it's not just how imaginative your characters can be, it's a combination of things that, a buffet of qualities that only the Imms get to choose and pick through.

I like to think they are pretty good at awarding. Call me a hopeless sap, but I like to think that as a whole, the staff is pretty good at telling who is and who is not capable of something, willing to take a chance on someone that they're not completely certain about, and smart enough to do what needs to be done should they be wrong.

ShaLeah
-who covets longingly for certain karmas and is positive if she ever gets that karma the characters will all be short lived.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

QuoteI know sometimes I've seen people in roles and thought about how bland their roleplaying is and how I'd do better. Then there's others playing regular Bynners which I think why in the hell is this person not a templar? It's just not how well you roleplay, it's not just how consistent you are, it's not just how imaginative your characters can be, it's a combination of things that, a buffet of qualities that only the Imms get to choose and pick through.

Huh.  I've never heard the imms say anything other than that karma was a measure of trust.  Thus some dude who could emote his way to a RP award but would turn around and go do lame-o things would not get much karma, but someone who played their role true to form but perhaps not the flashiest would earn karma.

I think its players who have decided that high karma = must be able to emote awesomely and turned it into some sort of 'I emote better than that magicker but I only have 1 karma' contest.

I agree CRW. Karma is given on the base of trust. If the imms feel they can't trust you, they take it away. If they feel they can, they give it. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't earn karma for "excellent roleplay".

I have come to realize things from friends who have given me advice, and also from emails from either staff members or helpers, and that advice is: Karma is not important.

And you know, I have finally begun to realize that. In a sense, I look at the world in a totally different way. Used to, I felt I had to "impress staff members with my roleplay skills to earn karma and respect. Now I know that is not true. As long as you play out your character, and play it consistently, faithfully, and deligently, you will eventually earn the trust needed to play a karma guild/race.

But, back to the topic of the original thread:

Trenidor, I don't think there is an actual "rate" to the amount of time it takes to receive any given amount of karma. If I HAD to guess, though, I would think a mean of 1 karma point per year spent on the mud would be a fair guess...Hope that helps. :D

Quote from: "CRW"Huh.  I've never heard the imms say anything other than that karma was a measure of trust.  Thus some dude who could emote his way to a RP award but would turn around and go do lame-o things would not get much karma, but someone who played their role true to form but perhaps not the flashiest would earn karma.

I know that it's a measure of trust, but it's not only a measure of trust.

QuoteMain Entry: [1]trust
Pronunciation: 'tr&st
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, probably of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse traust trust; akin to Old English trEowe faithful —more at TRUE
Date: 13th century
1 a : assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something b : one in which confidence is placed
2 a : dependence on something future or contingent : HOPE b : reliance on future payment for property (as merchandise) delivered : CREDIT
3 a : a property interest held by one person for the benefit of another b : a combination of firms or corporations formed by a legal agreement; especially : one that reduces or threatens to reduce competition
4 : archaic : TRUSTWORTHINESS
5 a (1) : a charge or duty imposed in faith or confidence or as a condition of some relationship (2) : something committed or entrusted to one to be used or cared for in the interest of another b : responsible charge or office c : CARE, CUSTODY <the child committed to her trust>
- in trust : in the care or possession of a trustee

© 2001 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated
Merriam-Webster Privacy Policy

The only way to trust someone is to place trust in them. For every measure of trust we place in them that they do not break, the trust grows and it continues to grow with every time that you trust someone and they don't break that. Eventually it becomes a matter of knowing this person is trustworthy, why? Because when you've trusted them, they haven't let you down. You can't earn trust without taking a leap of faith.

I'm not by any means saying that earning karma is only due to someone's ability to emote, if that's what you gathered from my words, that's not what I meant. It's just not that simple.
Maybe it's naive of  me to think that other factors aside from 'trust' are taken into account when awarding karma but that's still how I think.
I also still think that the Immortals have a pretty good system of choosing and awarding but in the end, they're still human too, they are still going to have players that they like and don't like, styles they like and they can't stand, characters they roll their eyes at and those they watch constantly.  Am I wrong?

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"Karma is not important.

Is trust important? Not that I don't agree with the statement, not that people haven't given me the same advice, but how is karma not important if it is a measure of trust and being awarded it is a sign that the immortals trust you or don't?

Play your character to the best of your ability, follow the example of those people in game that you admire, be mindful of the rules, bear in mind that this is a game and it's for your enjoyment and that of others, contribute to the world by adding your touch, your craftable items, your NPCs, your ideas, your typos, ask for feedback and listen to it, challenge your limitations, 'feel' the world and what it says to you, make your place within it.
Trust/Karma will come in time but in the end, it's what keeps you coming back that matters.  At least to me.

ShaLeah
-who seems to have gone off on a little rant.  :oops:
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Meh. The Karma options are cool, and they might let you in on a few secrets, but the basic options will still be the most "interesting" to play if you're looking for interaction, and for the ability to get your character involved in a wide variety of things.

Not that I wouldn't enjoy sizzling someone's ass with bolts of lightning, but the problem with magickers (and really, the problem with anything karma besides half-giants) is the fact that there are going to be slow times. No matter HOW good you are at keeping your character mixed up in the middle of things, there's gonna be times when you are the only one that can keep yourself occupied.

Not that I don't want Karma, but I don't see the point in being overly worried about it. I'm human, I'd like to have the option to play a mul/sorcerer/psi if I wanted to, but there are countless possibilities for characters that are available using only the basic options, so hey, I can be patient. ;)

Quotea mean of 1 karma point per year spent on the mud would be a fair guess

Why the heck Don't I have any Karma?

-3 year player

Quote from: "Guest"
Quotea mean of 1 karma point per year spent on the mud would be a fair guess

Why the heck Don't I have any Karma?

-3 year player

Because they don't drop a level of karma for every year you spend playing.  That was one persons estimate.  I know for me personally, I started at about one a year, then in one year got three or four.

As to why you personally don't know, you and the imms are the only ones who can answer that.  Drop a line to the account if it is really bothering you and ask what is up.  Don't bother asking over the GDB, as no on here can help you.

Alotta people dont understand the IC ways to add karma to your account.  Killing people because they have newbie equipment is a good way. If you collect 20 noob backpacks you can trade them in for karma.

Seriously though. The advice above is true. Just play that char and you will be noticed. Sooner if its in a house from my experience.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

QuoteIf you collect 20 noob backpacks you can trade them in for karma.

Heh, funny stuff.

I've been playings since 2008 i'm still a newb at a lot of things, but i have not recieved karma yet.
i think its mostly my ooc reaction and snarky remarks to something that happened to one of my earlier characters that i think shouldn't have happened that way. but either way i'm still playing this game and hoping that someone notices me.

I still feel horrible for what i said to the staff but thats in the past i've learned.

Play realistically, whether or not it is a positive or negative influence on your character. So long as it is IC for your character to behave, it will be noticed and awarded appropriately. If it think it isn't, either being noticed or being rewarded appropriately, then contact the staff and ask for a review of your account notes. Sometimes people fall through the cracks.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

see thats the thing as much as i've played on some of my characters it looks like not one imm has ever noticed me playing the game, i also found out today that when i typed review it told me they would be watching me which i never knew about. Also didn't notice how old this thread was lol. Either way it goes i play my characters the way they would act and interact with others.

Other than my snarky remarks WHICH I REGRET, my account notes are completely empty and full of dust from sitting there